Author Topic: TARAus 1 Episode 1 (Indonesia) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 37002 times)

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Re: TARAus 1 Episode 1 (Indonesia) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
Overall this was a pretty good show was faithful to the format of the US series. I took a while to get used to the Aussie accents however (even though I am Aussie)! What I found slightly suprising was that they didn't beep out some swear words. Expect to hear the "s" word a few times.

A few annoying characters but I guess that adds to the variety.

Grant Bowler as a host was good at narrating, but at the pitstop he was far too chilled out. "You are team number 1" in a monotone voice was very underwelming and not as enthusiastic as Phil. I think the teams were expecting Phil style energy at the mat but it didn't eventuate.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline TheAmazingRace4Ever

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
Overall this was a pretty good show was faithful to the format of the US series. I took a while to get used to the Aussie accents however (even though I am Aussie)! What I found slightly suprising was that they didn't beep out some swear words. Expect to hear the "s" word a few times.

A few annoying characters but I guess that adds to the variety.

Grant Bowler as a host was good at narrating, but at the pitstop he was far too chilled out. "You are team number 1" in a monotone voice was very underwelming and not as enthusiastic as Phil. I think the teams were expecting Phil style energy at the mat but it didn't eventuate.
How said swear words please tell me
Go Sam & Renae ,  Tyler & Nathan, Alana & Mel, and Jeff & Luke!♥

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
s**t  :ascared Oh i guess you meant Who said not How said haha. Alana and Mel, and Anastasia and Chris I think were the main ones, but I could be wrong.

The swear words werent in bad context, just a one of in frustration.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:29:43 PM by RichInSydney »
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline TheAmazingRace4Ever

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
s**t  :ascared Oh i guess you meant Who said not How said haha. Alana and Mel, and Anastasia and Chris I think were the main ones, but I could be wrong.

The swear words werent in bad context, just a one of in frustration.
thanks
Go Sam & Renae ,  Tyler & Nathan, Alana & Mel, and Jeff & Luke!♥

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
On Aussie TV, you just have to stick up a quick warning before the show begins if there's swearing/nudity/drug use/etc.

In fact, both our Survivor seasons had uncensored female boobs.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »
So, I am watching the first episode and I'm done with the interviews...these teams give me a sort of TAR1 vibe which is nice and a bit refreshing
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
Would love to hear what the American's on here think of our race! Be honest don't worry we won't be offended haha.

If you need any translation let us know haha.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 11:57:23 PM »
and the intro headshots are much better than the recent American TAR ones
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
Express Pass, I'm already loving this
The story so far:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »
Roadblock at the beginning line! OMG Shocker!
The story so far:

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
I like the fact it was filmed in 16:9 ratio too. Not sure if its HD as Channel 7 is not in HD, but at least they didn't go backwards and only film it in 4:3. The productionwas also good and nice sky shots and scenery too. They didn't skimp on the budget.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »
I like the fact it was filmed in 16:9 ratio too. Not sure if its HD as Channel 7 is not in HD, but at least they didn't go backwards and only film it in 4:3. The productionwas also good and nice sky shots and scenery too. They didn't skimp on the budget.

AusTAR was shot in HD, yes. It was the first of the franchise to be filmed as such.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »
AusTAR was shot in HD, yes. It was the first of the franchise to be filmed as such.

Haha yeh but pretty stupid how we can't see it in HD. Stupid Australian TV networks!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:54 AM »
OMG Smart models!
The story so far:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »
I totally loved the first episode. Surprise Roadblock as a first clue, sneaky hidden clues, a Detour with interactions with the locals, and the combination of a physical and mental task. I really liked the teams; like with every new edition you can see the cultural differences among the racers of each franchise. The only thing I didn't like is the lack of Speedbump. But still, it was very entertaining. One of the biggest shockers was the blond models knowing about boat motors.

All in all, it reminded me of classic TAR.
The story so far:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 01:08:47 AM »
Oh boy I can't WAIT to watch!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:14 AM »
One of the biggest shockers was the blond models knowing about boat motors.

Yeh but the models claim to be "tomboys" so i guess they have a knowledge and interest of cars and things!

What did you think of the host Grant Bowler? Not very enthusiastic at the pitstop. He was a bit wooden and reading off the script to me.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »

Yeh but the models claim to be "tomboys" so i guess they have a knowledge and interest of cars and things!

What did you think of the host Grant Bowler? Not very enthusiastic at the pitstop. He was a bit wooden and reading off the script to me.
I think he sounded a bit condescending when he was explaining the rules at the beginning, and I can even dare say that even Alan Wu showed more enthusiasm checking in the China Rush teams. Nobody can compare to the epicness of Phil. Still, Grant did is job, who knows, he might get better as the season progresses.
The story so far:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 01:39:51 AM »

I think he sounded a bit condescending when he was explaining the rules at the beginning, and I can even dare say that even Alan Wu showed more enthusiasm checking in the China Rush teams. Nobody can compare to the epicness of Phil. Still, Grant did is job, who knows, he might get better as the season progresses.

I loved the speech, that's one of the big things I miss from the early TAR seasons, having Phil explain all the rules.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 01:40:45 AM »
After watching the first 10 minutes, I can say...

1. Wow. It's in HD format! I never knew that (well I don't read news, but I kinda expected it in SD.

2. The teams are interesting. The drama doesn't feel like it's staged or brought up by producers. They are lovable.

3. The intro and head shots were BETTER than TAR America. AND AND AND THEY CAN DO THE TAIL OF THE PLANE ZOOM INTRO, Y U NOT DO IT TAR AMERICA?!?

4. The videography (whatever you call it) is really really on standards. How they film aerial shots was definitely cooler than TAR America.

5. It still doesn't make sense to have clueboxes instead of bags at the start. It looks crowded. Oh well, that is my opinion only. :lol:

6. With the tasks? Since I'm on my 10 minute mark, I can only watch the Roadblock task... but I have a feeling the tasks are gonna be like TARA. :(

7. Last (and maybe the least?), Grant Bowler doesn't seem to be happy with what he's doing? Haha. It's like he's not energetic enough, but maybe that's because Phil set a high bar and I love Phil? :lol: DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER THAN ALLAN SNOOZY WU.

Thank you, and Aussies, GOOD JOB! :hearts:

Now off to watch the rest of the episode. :waves:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
I also liked that we have two sets of each typical underdog and drama team:
Two physically unfit teams
Two estranged family members teams
Two bickering couples
Two brawns-not-brains male teams

And ironically, the three non-duplicate teams came out on top this leg

EDIT:
And can I add that I totally love the Aussie accent and the laxer Aussie censoring regulations (with Chris calling the children p*****s)
The story so far:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 02:10:50 AM »
It would have been great if I hadn't watched the entire episode before on TAR:A!
Very surreal. Same route, different people.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Heh, I love how they're using both sets of fonts -- the team names are in bolded Eurostile Roman (The Old Font, which is slightly different from the standard Eurostile), and the relationships and positions are in Microgramma. Brilliant!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »
Grant Bowler makes me sleep. zzzz. :lol: But I see his potentials! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Sash

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »
Is it me, or are there not that many teams that you can really care about.

Anne-Marie and Tracy are the absolute bright sparks in the whole show. Their personalities are infectious and I couldn't help smile everytime they were on camera. It didn't hurt that the funniest moment on the whole show was Anne-marie's ever so graceful departure from the boat...priceless! When I look at these girls I see two people who adore the Amazing Race and are overjoyed at being part of it, how wonderful for them.

Apart from them, and maybe Mo and Mos, I pretty much found everyone else annoyingly aggravating, and so unsympathetic that I can't imagine rooting for any of them. 

Richard and Joey...okay don't get me started on Richard and Joey, hang on, I'm starting. Everytime Joey made a suggestion on how to do something, the over-enthusiastic gushing from Richard to her made me almost retch. BTW, one of her ingenious plans was to do with the soup they had to sell, which they had to charge 5,000 a bowl for, she said lets sell two for 10,000. WHAT! Richard thought this was gold! I think that was mere logic, and very mere at that. I think they may be idiot savants...minus the savants.

Ryot and Liberty are probably my second least fav team because...well have you watched them! Again with the soup challenge, Liberty got it into her head that their strong selling point would be to wrangle up prospective customers with not only a delicious soup but also the promise of one of her tantalising kisses. Sweet lordy! Let me just say, as a woman myself who will never strut the catwalks of Milan, I am absolutely stunned that they made it to the mat at all with that advertising scheme.

Alana and Mel. Mel ran away from her family at some point and I was wondering if there was any chance she could do it again.

Matt and Tom. The cowboys (do we have cowboys in Australia?) may be alright and I will probably get to like them at some stage, that is if I could ever understand what Matt said. Two words: Sub Titles!

All the other teams are the bland stereotypical play it safe types...totally forgettable.

Next time I hope the producers take note of the kind of people who stand out from the other Amazing Races in the world, such as: Kynt (Kent) and Vyxsin, Margie and Luke, Oswald and Danny, BJ and Tyler (hippies), the Globetrotters, Marc and Rovilson (Asia), Tina and Kenny, the Guidos, Adrian and Collin (Asia), Joyce and Uchenna, Nick and Starr, Ron and Christina, Victoria and Jonathan. Absolutely memorable stars, with personalities!

After all that I still can't wait to watch the next episode  :hearts: