Author Topic: Amazing Race 18 versus Top Chef 8: Which One for the Emmy?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Amazing Race 18 versus Top Chef 8: Which One for the Emmy?
« on: March 31, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
I have decided to start a thread for discussion of whether AR18 will win the Emmy or TC8 will. Top Chef 8 finished last night after 16 episodes. Amazing Race 18 is halfway through 12 episodes.

So, which one do you think will win and why (note that I am going to put the same new topic on the Top Chef 8 superthread)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:55:18 PM by apskip »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Amazing Race 18 versus Top Chef 8: Which One for the Emmy?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
The Amazing Race 18 will win for the following reasons:
1. It has a wider audience to appeal to.
2. It is generally more popular and more well-known.
3. It is a more exciting and intriguing TV show to watch.
4. TAR always wins these things.
5. I love TAR! :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
Prophet,

I generally agree with your comments, but perhaps your memory is a little off. Top Chef won the 2010 Emmy, breaking the Amazing Race's string of 7 consecutive Emmy for Reality Competition Show.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
You beat me Ap, but I thought I would post the link anyway.

The Amazing Race 18 will win for the following reasons:
1. It has a wider audience to appeal to.
2. It is generally more popular and more well-known.
3. It is a more exciting and intriguing TV show to watch.
4. TAR always wins these things.
5. I love TAR! :hearts:

Umm... Top Chef won last year.

http://www.emmys.com/nominations?tid=104

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »
I don't watch those award shows, so I did not know this. That's sad to hear. :'(
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
HD ,that's the ticket!! TAR for the win!!

Whether they would submit a TAR 17 or 18 ep is TBD...

What episode of each show would you submit??

(And I don't watch cooking shows...they make me hungry! But I read apskip's recaps...)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »
Well, I watch both shows although I do prefer TAR.

This year Top Chef all stars was very interesting, but I must say the first episodes were better that the last three or four ones, especially the first episode in the Bahamas with the fire in the kitchen was a disaster in my opinion. The best episode for me was the one with the last five chefs meeting their families and cooking something related to their roots.

Of course I'm biased in favour of TAR. HD and a few more episodes like the last one in India could make the difference and give the victory to TAR 18. I don't know if the same could be said for TAR 17, which I loved, but it was just another TAR and those who decide the awards might decide to give a chance to another show.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
I don't doubt that TPTB will submit a TAR18 episode because TAR17 can't compete with HD.

When it comes to the Emmys, it always seems difficult to unseat the incumbent.  Top Chef will likely get it again.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
I am a superfan of both shows, slayton, but I do not agree with you. I think AR18 is a better show than TC8 even though both are first-class.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
I think TAR18 will have a better shot (and also the main factor) at it this year with HD coming into play. Of course with All-stars team returning back for a second shot, there's a general theme revolving around the show this season with "Unfinished Business"...

The teams are generally interesting and very competitive (maybe except for Mel and Mike) and I think the last episode where Margie and Luke got eliminated may be a very good episode to be sent in for emmy and strong contender to win. And we haven't watch the rest yet but it's SO GOOD already as of now.

I think Top Chef is an awesome show, but i still don't get how they beat TAR last year.. is it because if TAR win it 8 times in a row, everyone will boycott the show? In any case, it will take any other reality shows 7 or 8 more years to beat TAR's consecutive record wins.. that's if TAR isn't there to spoil it for them.

I actually think that Survivor also might have a shot at it this year.. i mean it really depends on the judging panel right? If AI gets nominated with the most recent new season then it has a fair chance with all the changes and all the new judges as well. I wouldn't be surprise if any of the other shows win after Top Chef beat TAR last year... but no... TAR is the best! :meow:

Clearly, nothing beats TAR!! :hearts:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
Well, I don't know which show I'd submit an episode for -- AR 17 or AR 18.  But I'd hope whichever one is submitted beats Top Chef.

Belle Book

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:31:55 AM »
Both TAR 17 and TAR 18 are the best seasons in years. I want to say the Emmy will come back to TAR, considering the huge improvements over last year's cycles. Of course, I've not watched Top Chef, so I'm glad I'm not judging.

DavidJunior

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:38 AM »
This year is tough to call

Both shows had top notch seasons this year (TC8 and both TAR17 and 18)

Both had great casts, and brought back a lot of favorites (one's that were ACTUALLY COMPETITIVE [TAR 11 FTL])

But I would lean towards TAR for this one

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
Seasons don't matter with the Emmys; it's all about the episodes they submit and a host of other factors.

Because TAR18 is in HD, and because TPTB tend to submit an episode from the spring season, here's how I handicap the TAR18 episodes so far.

Episodes 1 and 4: I would dismiss them because both are TBC episodes.

Episode 2: The kangaroo costumes make the episode too silly to be awarded the Emmy along with the award's prestige and cachet.

Episode 6: Submitting this would probably guarantee a loss.  I think it would be extremely risky to submit an infomercial/product-placement episode because it might seem to be too tacky and crass for the Emmy voters.

Episodes 3 and 5: These two are the most likely candidates for submission of the 6 broadcast so far.  I'd probably pick 3 because of the car accident and the emotional bond between Mel & Mike at the end.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »
I think it's still too early for such discussion for the Emmy considering both TAR and Top Chef have a choice of 2 seasons to submit for nominations(TAR 17-18 v.s. TC8-TCM3).
I watched both shows and they're all great.
TAR 17 --> No one could forget how 2 female racers finally won TAR
TAR 18 --> Great places, great adventure, great experience and still some great promising legs to go

Top Chef 8 --> Some surprising eliminations but after all, great competitions with slight mistake cost you the prize
TCM 3 --> Normal Top Chef format with weekly eliminations and great chefs competing...been expecting this since TCM 1

Based on few years' of nominations, American Idol-Survivor-Project Runway-The Apprentice could be the 3 other nominees(Considering no other good-popular shows come up before September).

So, the other nominee that probably have a chance of winning would be AI 10 and Survivor...Both shows have a redeeming feature this season compared to the last season's.

I don't remember watching any shows able to compete with the 4 great shows(AI, Survivor, TAR, TC).

Whichever one of 4 big ones win, I can still be happy...  :wohoo:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
The last time that Survivor was nominated for the Outstanding Reality-Competition Program  Emmy was 2006.

The last time that The Apprentice was nominated for the Outstanding Reality-Competition Program  Emmy was 2005.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Whichever one of 4 big ones win, I can still be happy...  :wohoo:

:faint:

There IS only one choice...I KNOW you meant to say.  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.