Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 7 "You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win" Varanasi, India  (Read 129790 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Ep 7 "You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win" Varanasi, India
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
And I don't think the Durga temple is what we looking for, this is a small shrine as Raina says.

And caper...you were translating Hindi?? WOW!! okay NOW I see it!

Glad flipping it helped...now just show me the bull! :lol:

Going to check our caps again... this one is from a little further in the sequence:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:34:59 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
Nice Work raina !

I jumped into GE to get the location:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Looks like we have a detective in the making! :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »
From wikimapia:

Temple of Jupitar, the biggest planet and Lord of Wealth (according to Hindu Myth). Only Hindus are allowed to enter into the shrine. Beutiful sand stone structure with more than beutiful curvings all over the temple. Anyone can take a picture of the temple from outside, on the road leading to Dasaswamedh Ghat. Thursday is the big worship day for Hindus at this temple.

We do need to remember that these might just be Varanasi atmosphere shots, and not a indicator that they go there though....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
Here is another shot of small shrine courtesy walkingpneumonia  = thanks WP!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyo/2496684948/ 

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
Here is another shot of small shrine courtesy walkingpneumonia  = thanks WP!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyo/2496684948/ 

Here's another:

From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
YAY!! Now I know you miracle workers can find those doors behind her right?? :lol:

Good job raina, Chateau, caper, WP, and all!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline raina

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
Glad flipping it helped...now just show me the bull! :lol:

Nandi (the Bull) from Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandi_%28bull%29
There's usually a statue of Nandi facing the shrine if the shrine is related to Shiva or Parvati.  Like in the picture caper linked above, Nandi is there again.  

I'm trying to read what it says below the shrine.  

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
YAY!! Now I know you miracle workers can find those doors behind her right?? :lol:

Unfortunately Rupa Frontline is a clothing line - signs for it everywhere...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Well, the second pic of the shrine has our (did we decide they were?) braziers...so must be right.

And if it is near the Temple, it is on Dashashwamedh road ...which looks to be a busy busy streetmarket as well.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline raina

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »

Unfortunately Rupa Frontline is a clothing line - signs for it everywhere...
Yup, the Hindii just says "drawers"  So an ad for boxer briefs.  Yay! Heh.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
 :hearts:
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In Detour A, teams must make 25 traditional fuel patties out of buffalo manure, then slap them on the wall to dry in the sun. Afterwards, they must load a stove with fuel patties and light a fire in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

It is performed by: Gary and Mallory, Kisha and Jen, and Kynt and Vyxsin. And I think Zev and Justin do it as well.

"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In Detour B, teams must carry large bundles of hay through the narrow, crowded streets of Varanasi, India. When they deliver the hay to the correct milk farm, they will receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

It is performed by: Jet and Cord, Herb and Nate, and Ron and Christina.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:13:31 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
Holy men!!
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In this Road Block teams must search the streets of Varanasi, India for six Sadhus (holy men) to find the meaning of life on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Also the first RI:
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--After making their way to Varanasi, India, teams must find a local tonga stand where they will be handed their next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

That clue tells them to do the RB. ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:15:55 PM by The Prophet »

jiajia12

« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »
The tasks seems to test patience,determination and navigating skills wih luck asell :umn:
What comes first RB Or detour ?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
:hearts:
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In Detour A, teams must make 25 traditional fuel patties out of buffalo manure, then slap them on the wall to dry in the sun. Afterwards, they must load a stove with fuel patties and light a fire in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

It is performed by: Gary and Mallory, Kisha and Jen, and Kynt and Vyxsin. And I think Zev and Justin do it as well.

"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In Detour B, teams must carry large bundles of hay through the narrow, crowded streets of Varanasi, India. When they deliver the hay to the correct milk farm, they will receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

It is performed by: Jet and Cord, Herb and Nate, and Ron and Christina.

I did a little initial research on the subjects of milk farms in the Varanasi area and thus far, I'm not finding much on actual farms with locations, but I do have a few nuggets of information. Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi appears to be the local research facility for agriculture in Varanasi and they have opened their own milk farm in February 2011, but that's after when TAR was there, so I doubt that's where the racers were sent. I found some brief descriptions of studies they have done on the local dairy industry. Despite the large number of cows wandering the streets in Varanasi, it appears that the milk farms are just as likely to have water buffaloes for milk as cows. Goats are a possibility as well. I imagine all would eat hay. I also read that many of the milk farms are landless. I suppose that means that they are just in a small enclosed area and don't spend time in pastures. That could easily be anywhere inside the urban area of Varanasi. I'll keep looking for locations and addresses in case we get footage of the milk farms later on, but so far, I haven't found much initially.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
The tasks seems to test patience,determination and navigating skills wih luck asell :umn:
What comes first RB Or detour ?

The roadblock. Not only does it always come first these days, the first clue after arriving is a route info found at a tonga stand and it tells them to do the RB.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
Can't wait to see what you find, Plaidmoon! :hearts:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
Holy men!!
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--In this Road Block teams must search the streets of Varanasi, India for six Sadhus (holy men) to find the meaning of life on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Also the first RI:
"You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win (Varanasi, India)"--After making their way to Varanasi, India, teams must find a local tonga stand where they will be handed their next clue on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

From a few references I've found, a tonga is apparently the local name for a horse drawn cart.

As for the roadblock, I guess that explains the various holy men we've seen that look similar but are several different people.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »
This week's SPECULATED timeline. The blue text is what I added. Feel free to correct me!

EP07: Kolkata, India to Varanasi, India
EVIDENCE: Teams seen in departure area of CCU (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport) on 12/2 (Source) at apx 3:10pm (Source); Jen/LaKisha booking Kingfisher Airlines flight (Source)

Film Date: DEC 2-3ish?
Air Date: APR 3

Leg Route/Tasks:
Route Marker: Get Roadblock clue at a local tonga stand.
Roadblock: Search the streets of Varanasi for six holy men to find the meaning of life.
Detour: Make 25 fuel patties out of buffalo manure and slap them on a wall at an unknown location; load a stove with fuel patties and light a fire OR carry large bundles of hay through the crowded streets of Varanasi and deliver them to an unknown milk farm.

Safe from Elimination at End of Leg: Herb/Nate, Jen/LaKisha, Jet/Cord
Possibly Eliminated:

Offline raina

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
Holy men!!

Also the first RI:

From a few references I've found, a tonga is apparently the local name for a horse drawn cart.

As for the roadblock, I guess that explains the various holy men we've seen that look similar but are several different people.

That's right about Tonga (or tanga as I would pronounce it).. and now I've a catchy Hindi song involving a tonga stuck in my head. 

Seems like the tasks will make a good use of Varanasi!  I would image one of the holymen would be on one of the ghats? 

jiajia12

« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
I think Ron/Christina might be going home.
Since I thin carrying Hay to milk farm is slower than the other task,and it seems Jen/Kisha is safe
in this leg and other people have gone,since other walls were done and the sun was setting? So I think it was quite late.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
The hay to milk farm task might be slower for some teams, but for the Cowboys and the Trotters, I suspect it would be faster than the other task.

We've seen this before this season, some tasks would be faster for some teams and slower for other teams. It's an interesting twist on detour design, that is for sure.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mike4lyf

• RFF Full Member
  • Best team ever! Goths for the win.
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
Do we have a new preview yet?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:56 AM »
All Photos from CBS. Watch photos enlarged by me. :lol:

3--"After making their way to this traditional gymnasium, Father/daughter team Mallory and Gary must decide whether to perform Detour A or Detour B"

5--"In Detour A, Goth friends Vyxsin (left) and Kent (right) must make 25 traditional fuel patties out of buffalo manure, then slap them on the wall to dry in the sun. Afterwards, they must load a stove with fuel patties and light a fire in order to receive the next clue"

7--"Friends Zev (left) and Justin (right) follow the Ganges river on their way to a Detour task"

10--"After making their way to a local tonga stand in Varanasi, India, Cowboy brothers Cord (left) and Jet (right) discover that this Road Block will lead them to the meaning of life and their next clue"

13--"In this Road Block, Sisters Kisha (left) and Jen (right) must search the streets of Varanasi, India for six Sadhus (holy men) to find the meaning of life"

16--"In Detour B, Father/daughter team Christina and Ron must carry large bundles of hay through the narrow, crowded streets of Varanasi, India. When they deliver the hay to the correct milk farm, they will receive the next clue "

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
Is it possible to get a close up of the writing on the hay tags?