Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 7 "You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win" Varanasi, India  (Read 129473 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Ep 7 "You Don't Get Paid Unless You Win" Varanasi, India
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
Maybe he is just taking a leak against the wall. :lol3:

:-[ :-[ :-[

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
In a skirt?  :lol3:

Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
You haven't been to India have you??

That's not a skirt...I don't think?? It looks like the wrap around thing (I have lost the word :lol:) thing the guys all wear...

DHOTI!! That's the word...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »
Nope, never been to India. Sorry. :lol: I refuse to keep going down this path of conversation anyway. :lol:

I was about to determine whether or not he could do what you said he was doing in one of those but I'm not going there...

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
Do you think this man is significant? Could he be a cluegiver or promo filler?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »
How soon people forget.......we are in India.......we just had an episode in Kolkata......bystanders were all over all the outdoor actiities.....I doubt that Varanasi is any different.

They were... for the activities that had people in shops for a few seconds, and on the streets directing a bus.

There was a distinct lack of bystanders at the painting task, except for the band, and did they just happen to pick that spot to be playing that day? I doubt it.

Couzy.......I am not here to argue with you. If you perceive a lack of bystanders at the painting task, so be it. All you have to do is take a look BEHIND the band, especially in the close ups with Ron. BVM delights in having people around distracting the racers when they are all tense, trying to do tasks. I have worked on a lot of "closed sets" in the past and the "outdoor sets" for TAR are anything but closed. Btw, you were right.....there was a distinct absence of bystanders at the painting task........none of them in this photo!!!

Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
I agree with you, Doc. As one can see in this photo, there is some degree of bystanders at the poop task.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »

That's a good question...The caps this season have really been telling a story, most have been significant.

I wonder about those steps (or place) where he is sitting? IF that is white marble, then that is almost certainly at a temple. If we can find some vids of OUR temple, perhaps we can spot a similar place. :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
And are the iron looking things braziers?? Also might go along with a temple site. OR I could be spitting in the wind. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
Gosh....did y'all know about this?? This would have literally been no more than 4 days after TAR was there... :o

Tourists Return to India's Varanasi City after... by NTDTV
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »

That's a good question...The caps this season have really been telling a story, most have been significant.

I wonder about those steps (or place) where he is sitting? IF that is white marble, then that is almost certainly at a temple. If we can find some vids of OUR temple, perhaps we can spot a similar place. :yess:

Isn't he in the intros this season? If so maybe there's a different enough clip to add some more info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:18:39 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
I think the Intro one may be different?? I only have two frames...not sure. Could be the same...

ooops sorry it is so big!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
It probably isn't the same guy -- notice the traditional "untouchable paint markings on the intro guy's forehead, and the episode guy has an orange turban covering his entire forehead.

My guess is that the episode guy is either a "decoration" at a task or the cluegiver. The robes would certainly allow clue envelopes to be hidden.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
back to topic please.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Here's a map of the ghats; Raj ghat is the one next to the mandir. I don't know, there are a few points in its favor as the gobar pathna site, but just as many points can be put against it: I'll keep looking. I've attached another cap of the task; what I thought might be structures or water is probably people laying out their laundry to dry, a common practice. The site may actually be, as WP suggests, on the other side of the river (pano here).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »
Maybe he is just taking a leak against the wall. :lol3:

:-[ :-[ :-[

I think there is probably a 99.9999999% chance that you are correct, Peach.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
Here's a map of the ghats; Raj ghat is the one next to the mandir. I don't know, there are a few points in its favor as the gobar pathna site, but just as many points can be put against it: I'll keep looking. I've attached another cap of the task; what I thought might be structures or water is probably people laying out their laundry to dry, a common practice. The site may actually be, as WP suggests, on the other side of the river (pano here).

I love that you found the right name for the dung.

And if y'all do ID this...well you are miracle workers!! Here's hoping we get more ghats in the next promo!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
Peach, have we considered this Mumbai sighting?
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23690.msg580196.html#msg580196

Yes of course. I think it boils down to the fact that it isn't all that easy to get out of Varanasi.

Delhi and Mumbai are two flight options.

The best lights into Vienna in the early morning are from Delhi...

SO IF all the flights into Delhi were fulll from Varanasi, and teams had to go V>Mumbai>Delhi, then the timing is possible. But makes much better sense to go V>Delhi>Vienna. And IIRC, apskip found some Bangkok routings that also work.

And while I found the source for the Delhi sighting of the Cowboys completely reliable ...this one seems not so much.
Not enough to rule it out, just...funny. :duno:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:33 AM »
From the TAR Intro thread.......

Varanasi?

These remind me of water taxis. Cheap way for people to get back and forth across the river. The big modern bridges and the pontoon bridge are really at the extreme ends of the waterfront in Varanasi shoreline. Do our teams have to ride in a water taxi?

Ram Nagar Fort

Surely this cant be the only fort in Varanasi. The Brits built forts everywhere. Why is this one in the screencaps? It sure is looking good for a pit stop.

Does anyone think these two go together?

Japan, China and India......all known for incense. The remaining countries are not really known for incense and brasiers.

India or Brasil?

I think the cow is India. It is way to calm, in my mind, to be in the Rio area. But it looks like there are spent fireworks on the ground beneath the cow.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:26:28 AM by DrRox »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »
 :tup: India it is; the ad is for a guest house in Varanasi.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
Dr. Rox notice the sign behind the brahma bull (If I remember my Asian civilizations course from college correctly all these years later, that is what a brahma bull looks like.) It's in English. And to me it appears to be in a style more common to India than it would be in China or Japan.

Peach and I have already asked about the holy man. It's India, notice the white lettering on the red painted wooden column behind the holy man to our right. I would bet the lettering is Hindi.

-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »
Dr. Rox notice the sign behind the brahma bull (If I remember my Asian civilizations course from college correctly all these years later, that is what a brahma bull looks like.) It's in English. And to me it appears to be in a style more common to India than it would be in China or Japan.

Peach and I have already asked about the holy man. It's India, notice the white lettering on the red painted wooden column behind the holy man to our right. I would bet the lettering is Hindi.

Certainly the Holy man is in India.....but what about the incense and brazier in the small screencap.......where does it belong....I dont remember seeing anything like that in Japan or China......did you?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

Certainly the Holy man is in India.....but what about the incense and brazier in the small screencap.......where does it belong....I dont remember seeing anything like that in Japan or China......did you?

The background and the bell look like the Detour areas from Lijang.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »
From the TAR Intro thread.......

Varanasi?

These remind me of water taxis. Cheap way for people to get back and forth across the river. The big modern bridges and the pontoon bridge are really at the extreme ends of the waterfront in Varanasi shoreline. Do our teams have to ride in a water taxi?

Ram Nagar Fort

Surely this cant be the only fort in Varanasi. The Brits built forts everywhere. Why is this one in the screencaps? It sure is looking good for a pit stop.

Does anyone think these two go together?

Japan, China and India......all known for incense. The remaining countries are not really known for incense and brasiers.

India or Brasil?

I think the cow is India. It is way to calm, in my mind, to be in the Rio area. But it looks like there are spent fireworks on the ground beneath the cow.

Having looked at several hundred pictures of Varanasi in the last couple of days, I can say that those row boats are very typical of Varanasi. They are everywhere along the Ganges. I'm sure they are used as water taxis, cargo transportation, tour boats, funeral boats or just about anything else you could think of. If the teams do go to the east bank of the Ganges for the wall umm... plastering task, a boat like that would be the most efficient way, as well as being telegenic. Varanasi looks like a fascinating place to visit. I doubt I'll ever go there, but if I ever get to India, I'll definitely make an effort to get to Varanasi.

I haven't looked for forts, but since it's in the intro, that would be a likely place for a pit stop.

Clutch mentions the incense being from the detour in Lijiang. I can't remember it that specifically, but I seem to recall seeing it somewhere in the Lijiang leg. However, I may be recalling the speculation here from before that episode.

I agree with the others about the bull being in Varanasi. They are everywhere in Varanasi, at least in the pictures I looked through. In the roads and streets, in the narrow alleys, even along the ghats and banks along the river. No doubt making dung a overly abundant and cheap building material.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:18:59 AM by Plaidmoon2 »