Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep. 4: This is the Most Stupid Day Ever (Lijiang, China)  (Read 86400 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 18 Ep. 4: This is the Most Stupid Day Ever (Lijiang, China)
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
From my research the girls in the fur hats with feathers are local Yi people. So this would not be the task that one of our spotters said involved people dressed in traditional Naxi clothing. Is that correct?

Can't wait Vicdemort!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
They probably get to Jade Dragon snow hill by bus from Lijiang ancient city,then take cable cars to Spruce Meadow,and change to electric vehicle to RB place...when they finish RB, electric vehicle directly sent them to bus which took them back to ancient city in Lijiang.

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
From my research the girls in the fur hats with feathers are local Yi people. So this would not be the task that one of our spotters said involved people dressed in traditional Naxi clothing. Is that correct?

Can't wait Vicdemort!

Yes...this happened in Lijiang ancient city,not on Spruce Meadow.

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Next to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain:

Cable Car to Spruce Meadow:

Spruce at Spruce Meadow:

Path at Spruce Meadow:

View of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain from Spruce Meadow:

Clip of Spruce Meadow:

TARV5: Ultimate Evil
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
Entrance of Old Town of Lijiang:

Street in Old Town of Lijiang:

Square Street in Old Town of Lijiang:

Clip of Square Street in Old Town of Lijiang:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:48:41 AM by Vicdemort »
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »
Enjoy :P
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
If those are dedicated trams (note the flag), and R/C speak Mandarin, then what's the excuse for heading the wrong way? Shouldn't the driver know what's expected of him, or failing that couldn't R/C have made sure before they got on? It reminds me of the bad boat driving in Panama.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
If those are dedicated trams (note the flag), and R/C speak Mandarin, then what's the excuse for heading the wrong way? Shouldn't the driver know what's expected of him, or failing that couldn't R/C have made sure before they got on? It reminds me of the bad boat driving in Panama.

That is an excellent point to bring up, Slowhatch. It makes one think that they either got a bad driver or their driver did not like Ron because of his hot temper.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

That is an excellent point to bring up, Slowhatch. It makes one think that they either got a bad driver or their driver did not like Ron because of his hot temper.

That is an excellent point to bring up, Prophet. It makes me think whether is it Ron who can't control his temper or the driver who brought them in the wrong direction to cause Ron to be so pissed off.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:09 AM »
Interesting tidbit in this week's press release:

Frustrations rise in China when one team's position in the race is jeopardized after getting lost and misplacing their passport twice, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 13

"This Is the Most Stupid Day Ever" (Lijiang, China) — After losing all sense of direction en route to the airport and their passport twice, a Racer's frustration threatens to get the best of their team, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 13 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Got to be the Goths. They are probably behind the whole episode.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 10:31:10 AM »

That is an excellent point to bring up, Prophet. It makes me think whether is it Ron who can't control his temper or the driver who brought them in the wrong direction to cause Ron to be so pissed off.

To suggest a driver would go the wrong way because he didn't like a passenger is very naive. You are basically suggesting that he is sucking at his job on a whim. Any professional driver, hell anyone who has ever worked in a job which forces them to interact with customers on any level will tell you that is not on. To go the wrong way because Ron annoyed him would be risking his job doing so, and would be terribly unprofessional.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »

I agree with what you have said Joab as well.

And Vicdemort! :hearts: Where have you been?  :knuckles:  :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Vicdemort

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Geek in RFF
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
I had my Advanced Level Exam and now I am offcially studying Economics and Finance in University of Hong Kong :P
Good luck to Final 3!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
Congrats Vic!! And lovely to see you again!

I LOVE your pics!! Thank you so much! And I think that square in Old Town may be right where there was dancing...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
I thought so at first too but Mad Joe said they were at Yulong Plaza not Square Street. It doesn't quite look the same...

Neobie also shows that they are a ways apart so I don't know.

One of the Chinese correspondents can probably tell us the answer.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »

To suggest a driver would go the wrong way because he didn't like a passenger is very naive. You are basically suggesting that he is sucking at his job on a whim. Any professional driver, hell anyone who has ever worked in a job which forces them to interact with customers on any level will tell you that is not on. To go the wrong way because Ron annoyed him would be risking his job doing so, and would be terribly unprofessional.

I sure hope you didn't think i was serious, Coutzy. :lol:

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »
I thought so at first too but Mad Joe said they were at Yulong Plaza not Square Street. It doesn't quite look the same...

R/C were at Yulong plaza when they had already checked in (Mad Joe said dancing was not a task,R/C just watched local dancer performed and enjoyed it)...I guess production sent teams to Yulong plaza after teams checked in to have a rest and started their next leg there(We knew they started their next leg right now after goth checked in as NEL).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »

From the scale in the lower left....they are not too far apart.....less than a km, between the 3 marked places. That is just .6 mile.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »

R/C were at Yulong plaza when they had already checked in (Mad Joe said dancing was not a task,R/C just watched local dancer performed and enjoyed it)...I guess production sent teams to Yulong plaza after teams checked in to have a rest and started their next leg there(We knew they started their next leg right now after goth checked in as NEL).

Am I to understand that legs 4 and 5 in Yunnan province had no rest period between them, as was the case in Australia? Wow. That's brutal.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »

Am I to understand that legs 4 and 5 in Yunnan province had no rest period between them, as was the case in Australia? Wow. That's brutal.

They flew from Narita to Kunming.....then took an overnight train to Lijiang. They did the leg in Lijiang. Then it was similiar to Broken Hill. They lounged around in the afternoon, then took another overnight train back to Kunming and ran the leg there.

The leg in Lijiang appears to be a NEL with the old "Marked for Elimination" penalty.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
What I was referring to is whether that comment I quoted was correct in its implication that officially, in terms of the game aspect, that the teams were checked in and then immediately sent off with a clue for the following leg.

If they had a second moving pit stop (as was the case from Broken Hill), that would still be brutal, but not by much.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:46 AM »
I hope they find wood tablets that contain messages from their former racers in their season. :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
I hope they find wood tablets that contain messages from their former racers in their season. :lol:

That's a good idea, but I think it would be relatively easy to spot a tablet written in English among  all those written in Chinese. It would be more difficult if the racers were given something like a picture of a tablet and have to find the same. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »

They flew from Narita to Kunming.....then took an overnight train to Lijiang. They did the leg in Lijiang. Then it was similiar to Broken Hill. They lounged around in the afternoon, then took another overnight train back to Kunming and ran the leg there.

The leg in Lijiang appears to be a NEL with the old "Marked for Elimination" penalty.

From what I understand, this should be a TBC/NEL version 2 just like Manly was. A "Keep on racing" leg NOT a NEL with a penalty like a speedbump or anything.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.