Author Topic: Top Chef Masters 3  (Read 25332 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Top Chef Masters 3
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
I accept the corrections franxaverian offered, but kiki your corrections were invalid except for the winner due to them being duplicates of what I had. The mistake I made was in using an alternate source which has always in the past put the master chefs in alphabetical order. I assumed that that was the way they were without actually double-checking. With the winner, I had Floyd circled as such in my notes but since I knew it was the meatball sub that won and I had George down as its creator, I changed it to an incorrect chef.

I appreciate the corrections, but I will go further. If any of you want to become the recapper for Top Chef Masters 3, please let me know by PM. It is not as task I must do. I will warn you that it is much more time consuming that you might imagine.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »
No... what would we do without your recaps apskip. We're just keeping you on the straight and narrow from time to time. :<3
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
@Apskip:
I just re-read the correction Kiki gave you and it was actually valid because the team colour and the member of the team in your recap was mixed up between blue and green.

Blue team (Alex, MarySue and Suvir) (Floyd, George, Naomi)
The Red team (Hugh, Celina, Traci) --> correct
The Green team (Floyd, George, Naomi) (Alex, MarySue and Suvir)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:12 PM »
franxaverian:

I regret to report that you are again right (making it timely that you will be doing these recaps TCM3 starting this week). The Blue team of George, Floyd and Naomi was the winner and the Green team of Suvir, MarySue and Alex was the loser.

I apologize to Kiki and am fixing that part of the ep. 4 recap.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
Thanks to Apskip who helped me in making this recap

Top Chef Masters Episode 5 recap:

Quickfire challenge: Create one appetizer dish with less than one dollar. The ingredients have different price tags on it.
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Guest judge: Brendan Newnam & Rico Gagliano from “The Dinner Party Download”
Alex – Spiced Squid with Garlic, Olives and Almond
Celina – Spicy Carrot Soup with Lime-Pickled Shrimp,
Floyd – Fricassée of Shrimp, & Asparagus with Beef & Tomatoes
George – Grilled Calamari Salad with Cucumber, Tomatoes, & Almonds
Hugh – Lyonnaise Salad with Bacon, Frisée, Radicchio & Poached Egg
Mary Sue – Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Salad with Celery Seed Vinaigrette
Naomi – Asparagus & Bread Salad with Cherry Tomato & Lemon Vinaigrette
Traci – Chicken Paillard with Asparagus, Lemon & Brown Butter

Bottom 2: George (underwhelming flavours) & Mary Sue (too salty especially with bacon)
Top 3: Alex & Celina & Naomi
Winner: Naomi, Prize: Immunity & $5,000 to Seed Savers Exhange

Elimination Challenge: Create main and side dish for a mystery location, cooking for 100 guests. Utensils are not given to customers.
Mystery location: Farmer Boys (A fast food restaurant)
Judge: James Oseland & Alex Sytsma (1st - Dine-in, 2nd – Drive Thru), Curtis Stone & Danyelle Freeman (1st - Drive-Thru, 2nd – Dine-in)

The Chefs are divided into two shifts: One shift will be Front of House while the other shift cooks.
1st Shift of FOH: Naomi(Drive Thru), Floyd, George, Traci. 1st Shift of BOH: Celina, Alex, Hugh, Mary Sue
2nd Shift of FOH: Celina, Alex, Hugh, Mary Sue(Drive Thru). 2nd Shift of BOH: Naomi, Floyd, George, Traci
Chef with Main and Sides(in respective order):
Hugh - Bánh Mì of Pork, Liver Pâté, Pickles, and Chili. Watermelon with Serrano & Feta
Alex - Salmon Fish Taco with Fennel and Apple Slaw. Butternut Squash Fritters
Mary Sue - Skirt Steak Quesadilla Diablo. Quinoa Fritters & Sweet Pepper Garlic Mayo
Celina - Lamb, Pork, Garbanzo Wrap. Pickled Cauliflower
Naomi – Rib Eye Steak Sandwich on Ciabatta. Caesar Salad with Herbed Croutons
Traci – Chicken Chili Verde Burrito. Jicama Sticks and Tortilla Chips
George - Pork and Chorizo Skewer with Clam. Cucumber and Olive Side
Floyd – Chicken Frankie with Cucumber. Daikon & Grape Slaw

Top 3:
Floyd, Mary Sue, Traci
Winner: Mary Sue. Prize: $10,000 to Share Our Strength

Bottom 3:
Alex - Salmon's not great. Fritters are too sweet. Too much little elements & not coming together.
George - Clam was hard to eat. Cucumber was hard to be eaten by hand. No sauce. Not adapting to fast-food environment
Celina - Wrap was more like a pancake, not wrapped. Fillings are bland, underseasoned.

Out: George

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »
Top Chef Masters 3 Ep. 6 recap (credit to Apskip for some corrections):

Quickfire challenge: Create a heavenly dish in 7 minutes for 2 plates. Heavenly dish --> cooked with all 'heavenly' ingredients such as Foie Gras, Caviar, Crab Claws, Scallops.

Mary Sue: Scallop with pink salt, lime & cilantro
Celina: Scallop crudo, blood orange, cumquat & lemon agrumato
Traci: Tenderloin Beef Carpaccio, truffle, maitake mushroom and balsamic
Alex: Prawn ceviche, cumquat, chili peppers, celery & blood orange vinaigrette
Floyd: Prawn with serrano chili, blood orange juice
Hugh: Tuna two ways: chopped with caviar & ventresca with chopped celery
Naomi: Foie gras, chanterelle mushrooms & fried lady apples

Judging: Rate each others' dishes. 1 being the best, 7 being the worst. The dish with lowest score win.

Hugh-Traci-Naomi-Celina-MarySue-Alex-Floyd

Score:
Hugh       (6th):       7+7+4+7+6+4+7 = 42 --> Lacks seasoning & caviar really bitter
Traci        (1st):       2+3+1+2+1+3+1 = 13
Naomi     (2nd):       1+1+2+3+2+2+6 = 17
Celina      (7th):       6+6+7+6+7+7+4 = 43 --> Underseasoned
Mary Sue (4th):       5+4+3+5+4+1+5 = 27
Alex:        (3rd):       3+2+5+1+5+6+2 = 24
Floyd:      (5th):       4+5+6+4+3+5+3 = 30--> Blood orange too powerful

Winner : Traci. Prize: $5000 for & Immunity for La Cocina

Elimination challenge: Cook a family style meal for Maroon 5, prepping & cooking in tour bus/RV
Alex-Celina-Floyd --> Red Team
Hugh-Traci-Mary Sue-Naomi --> Black team

Red Team (Served First):
1. Floyd - Winter Salad
2. Floyd - Soy & Rice Wine Vinegar Marinated Steak with Asian Slaw
3. Celina - Silky Corn Soup
4. Celina - Spanakopita with Couscous Salad
5. Alex - Penne with Broccolini, Tomato & Garlic
6. Alex - Enchiladas with Onion & Seitan
7. Alex - Coconut-Almond Tapioca with Grapes
8. Alex - Breaded Turkey Cutlets

Black Team:
1. Mary Sue - Chips with Salsa Diablo & Guacamole
2. Mary Sue - Tostadas with Black Beans, Chopped Salad & Crispy Fried Avocado Wedge
3. Hugh - Corn Soup with Vanilla, Pecans & Brussel Sprouts
4. Hugh - Fennel-Parmesan-Spinach Spanakopita, Dill Salad, Lemon Vinaigrette
5. Traci - Japanese Style Steak, Miso Braised Daikon & Pea Shoot Salad
6. Naomi - Breaded Turkey, Chanetrelle Smashed Potatoes & Sour Cherry-Cranberry Chutney
7. Naomi - Apple Crisps with Almonds, Coconuts & Oats
8. Margarita

Judge: Gail Simmons, Danyelle Freeman, James Oseland, Curtis Stone & Maroon 5

Winning team: Black Team

Overall Winner: Traci. Prize : $10,000 for La Cocina.

Losing team: Red Team

Critiques:
Celina: Combination of spinach and couscous not working. Spanakopita indistinctive & forgettable
Alex: Overcooked pastas, enchiladas not appetizing. Too ambitious menu with poor execution
Floyd: Unremarkable salad

OUT: ALEX
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:58:22 AM by franxaverian »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
Franxaverian appears to be away, so I offer this recap for this week's episode:

TCM3, Ep. 7

The Quickfire Challenge was one dear to Tom Colicchio’s (Executive Producer) heart, testing the senses, and also would have been for Gordon Ramsay of the “Masterchef” series. The master chefs were given headphones, earplugs and a blindfold and used one or more for each of the following tests. One chef was eliminated for each of the first several rounds, then the last 2 chef competed to win $5,000 for his charity, but no immunity.

The first round had 5 ingredients tasted with sight, sound and smell blocked. The ingredients were water chestnuts, Worcestershire sauce, cashews, papaya and mustard greens. The Floyd got none right and was eliminated from the Quickfire. The second group was epoisses cheese, hot sauce, root beer, rice vinegar and mayonnaise with smell unblocked. Naomi could not believe she missed mayonnaise but it was Traci eliminated. The next one was testing the sense of touch and the ingredients were okra, gummy bears, blackberries, chayote/mirlaton and arborio rice. Celina and Naomi were knocked out. That left MarySue versus Hugh for a test of hearing. They both missed rice Krispies with milk but were almost simultaneous for celery breaking. Hugh was very slightly faster. The next one was eating a potato chip, which neither got. Hugh got shucking oysters and then won with buttering toast.

The Elimination Challenge was about food for love. A male named Chris came in to describe his romance and how he was planning to propose to his girlfriend at a special dinner that the master chefs would create based on the story of his romantic life with this woman. The chefs designed this 6 course menu, with each responsible for one course:

Floyd – Kama Sutra Black Pepper Shrimp with Watermelon, Lime, and Mint
Celina – Soft Pretzel with Pale Ale Cheese Sauce, Frisée Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
MarySue – Mussels and Clams Portuguese Style with Sausages and Wine Broth
Naomi – Porcini Braised Chicken Thigh with Sweet Potatoes Two Ways
Hugh – New York Strip Steak with Broccoli, Onion Ring, Celery Root Purée, and Bordelaise Sauce
Traci – Pink Lady Apple Galette, Whipped Crème Fraîche, and Caramel Sauce

The master chefs cooked this meal for 21 couples, including judges James Osener, Gael Greene (finally back and desperately missed), Gail Simmons and Curtis Stone. The mothers of the couple came to the kitchen to watch the action through a special window. The courses were designed to provide hints of what was to come, but the target of the proposal Victoria did not get the hints. After the dessert course, Chris went down on bended knee and proposed, which Victoria after a brief pause accepted. The mothers then rushed into the room as the betrothed couple was toasted with champagne.

One of the more fascinating exchanges ever took place when James Oseland asked his dinner partner Gael Greene about her sexual encounter with Elvis Presley (in 1956) which ash been documented in writing by Greene multiple times so it was not a revelation. She said she was left with him when there were no other females in the after-concert, so she was led into his bedroom. As she was departing, he asked her to place an egg sandwich order with room service for him.

OK, so who did well and who did less well. The food was generally simple, almost pedestrian, with only a few fine touches to indicate who had done better. The Winners’ Group was Naomi, MarySue and Floyd. Floyd had taken a risk on spiciness but the results were fruity, spicy and wonderful according to judges’ feedback. MarySue’s Portuguese stew (I would have loved to eat that) was cooked perfectly and the spiciness of the sausage was just right. Naomi did something to enhance the crispness of the skin and the judges loved it. The winner of the $10,000 prize for Seed Savers’ Exchange was Naomi.

The Losers’ Group was Traci (first time), Celina (almost all the time) and Hugh. Hugh’s meat was chewy and his exchange with the judges indicated that he prefers to cook down to his audience. Traci’s apple tart was missing moisture or sauce, probably because the apples she used are somewhat dry. Celina did a standard pretzel (part of the dating ritual with beer and a hockey game for the dating couple) and what appeared to be a decent salad, but was criticized for not doing anything special with the pretzel (such as turning it into a pot pie) and for two disparate elements in her dish that did not meld well.

Celina at Judges’ Table was told that a variation on the pretzel would have been preferred. Hugh was told he was banal and not ambitious. Traci was advised she should have considered applesauce for under the tart.

Final comments before the verdict was announced were:
Celina – good salad and pretzel but they did not go together
Hugh – it’s never a good idea to cook down
Traci – you missed an opportunity.
Celina, who had escaped numerous times before, was eliminated. I have to believe her poor showing on the Quickfire also contributed.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Sorry for not telling you earlier Apskip but I was overwhelmed by all my assignments that I have just had the chance to freely surfing around...anyway, nice recap...I'll continue next week

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
TCM 3 Ep. 8

Quickfire Challenge: Making breakfast using microwave in 10 minutes.
Mary Sue: Goat Cheese & Avocado on Baguette, Bacon Vinaigrette (and basil)
Floyd: Chanterelles, Bacon & Spinach Omelette with Grilled Tomatoes
Naomi: Egg, Bacon, Spinach & Chanterelles on biscuit with fruit salad
Hugh: Baked Egg, Chanterelles, Bacon, & Tomato
Traci: Oeuf en cocotte, Chanterelles, Bacon & Bananas with Lime
Bottom 2: Mary Sue – Microwaved bread became hard, will be quite messy to be eaten
                Traci - Bananas and egg don’t go well together. Too artistic for breakfast
Top 2: Hugh and Floyd
Winner: Hugh
Prize: $5,000. Hugh has accumulated $15,000 so far for Wholesome Wave Foundation

Elimination Challenge: Prepare Demo & Create Dish to Represent Scientific Principle to be presented in Edible Science Fair. The cooking utensils are replaced by laboratory equipments.
Chefs are helped by 5 scientists which represents 5 scientific principles with the products:
1. Carlin Hsueh (UCLA – Nano Technology) --> Elasticity/pizza dough. Working with Naomi
2. Heidi Bednar (UCLA –Physical Chemistry) --> Viscosity/liquidity. Working with Mary Sue
3. Carolyn Tepolt (Stanford – Evolutionary Biologist) --> Acidity/citrus. Working with Traci
4. Augustine Urbas (MIT – Polymer Physics) --> Emulsion/vinaigrette. Working with Hugh
5. Michael Klopfer (UC Irvine – Experimental Physics) --> Mailllard Reaction/beef. Working with Floyd
Trivia: Floyd has Masters in Biochemistry.

Dishes:
Mary Sue (Viscosity) – Dulce de leche Churros, Chocolate Mousse & Spiced Café de olla
Hugh (Emulsion) – Fried Okra Salad with Tomato, Fennel, Bacon & Green Goddess Dressing
Traci (Acidity) – Tuna Carpaccio + Ahi Tuna Tartare
Floyd (Maillard Reaction) – Spice-crusted beef, mushrooms, asparagus & Fried Potatoes + Beef Shabu-shabu
Naomi (Elasticity) – Fried Pizzetta with Mozzarella, Salumi & Green Olive Marinara + Calzone with Truffle, mozzarella, chanterelles & arugula, balsamic gelee

Judge: Ruth Reichl, James Oseland, Padma Lakshmi & Curtis Stone

Top 2: Floyd & Mary Sue

Winner: Mary Sue(3rd time in beating Floyd in Elimination Challenge)

Prize: $10,000 for Share Our Strength.

Bottom 3:
Naomi - Too complicated, using too many items for presentation. Calzone becomes soggy over time because of the gelee.
Hugh - Salad was messy. Mayonnaise was kind 'broken'. Overbreaded, chewy okra
Traci - Too simple as only using lemon + raw fish

OUT: Hugh
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:15:08 PM by franxaverian »

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »
This is by far, one of the most interesting elimination challenge ever........ :hearts:

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »
Great elimination challenge! Something completely different and very interesting.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
With only 4 master chefs left, it's time for a fearless forecast. I like Floyd for the win despite the fact that he has yet to win any Quickfire or Elimination Challenge. For #2 I like Traci despite the fact that she has lost the luster of the first 6 episodes. Naomi and MarySue will be fighting it out for #3. I think Naomi has a slight edge.

In next week's TCM3 episode I expect the last of the eliminations to happen, then the finale will be the following week as a lead-in to the new Rocco's Dinner Party show, which will take over the 10pm time slot starting the following week.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
@Apskip: Floyd has won 1 elimination challenge, The Biggest Loser one. I'm confused with the preview for the next episode where they show Floyd for half of it.

For the TCM first, finally women got into finale. I'm rooting for Naomi or Traci actually.
Naomi is like a beast that I actually predicted to go out 1st from the competition but she keeps surprising me with all her creations. Traci is really good in almost everything although she was in 'bottom 3' in the last two.

Here's a fun fact: Apart from the 1st elimination challenge which was won by Alex, all 4 are the only contestants who won the elimination challenge and even the top 5, with the exception of John C. are the only winners of Quickfire.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
franxaverian,

"Floyd has won 1 elimination challenge, The Biggest Loser one."

"the 1st elimination challenge which was won by Alex"

Both of these cannot be correct. The first one is wrong, as Floyd according to his own statement in the most recent episode has never won either a Quickfire or an Elimination Challenge. Also, the first elimination challenge was won by Alex.

I have missed things before, so possibly I do not have the correct perspectives.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
Apskip,

I stand by my own record. I downloaded the episode and I re-watched the episode before I write my fun fact. Well, I re-watch the episode after Floyd mentioned that he never won anything and I immediately remember that he won something. I distinctively remember Alex's win because the other person in the top 2 was Naomi and she was remembered with her unique style of seating yet still cooked that good :)

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Franxaverian is right about Floyd. Floyd won the elimination challenge at episode 4 for his meat balls. It was the episode when they cooked for the people who lost weight.
Maybe Floyd referred to himself as has never won, in regard to the quickfires.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 03:41:05 AM »
TCM 3 Ep. 9

Quickfire challenge: Cooking a dish in 20 minutes while at the same time instructing the chef's mystery teammate to create an identical dish.

The Mystery guests and the dish that they make are:
1. Chris Dewitt - Mary Sue's sister
Shredded chicken salad with toasted crumbs & sesame seeds

2. Mitch Des Jardins - Traci's brother
Halibut with asparagus in brown butter balsamic vinaigrette

3. Debra Furtado - Floyd's Sister
Shrimp, mushroom & asparagus stir-fry

4. Toby Pomeroy - Naomi's Dad
Fricassee of mushrooms, bacon & shallots with a poached egg & parsley

Judge: Curtis Stone

Least favorite:
Floyd - the asparagus in Debra's plate wasn't cut up
Mary Sue - salad was messy & too simple

Winner: Traci. Prize: $5,000 for her charity, La Cocina

Elimination challenge: Create a homecoming meal for military servicemen returning from overseas. Serving in buffet for friends and families. 400 people. 1 Main + 2 Dishes. Winner would be determined by the amount of votes.

Assignment:
Mary Sue - Marine Corps --> Marlon Chajon
Naomi - Air Force --> Colonel Bruce Nelson
Traci - Navy --> Philip Dersham
Floyd - U.S. Army --> Eric Palicia

Judges: James Oseland, Curtis Stone, Danyelle Freeman, Ruth Reichl

Mary Sue: Tomatillo Barbecue Ribs & Avocado Corn Relish with Potato & Rajas. Apple & Cream Cheese Bread Pudding with Crema

Floyd: Clam Chowder. Roast Tenderloin with Mushroom Jus & Garlic Smashed Potatoes. Spinach Salad with Pomegranate, Broccoli, Walnuts & Bacon Vinaigrette.Tamarind Margarita

Traci: Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes & Caesar Salad. Peach Cobbler

Naomi: Barbecue Pork, Prawn & Cucumber Rice Salad, Iceberg Wedge with Tuna Poke. Panna Cotta with caramelized pineapple & Ginger Tuile

Winner (Most amount of votes): Mary Sue. $10,000 to Share Our Strength.

Non-winner(Automatic Bottom 3):
Naomi - The rice salad didn't work and Ruth's shrimp was undercooked
Traci - The plate wasn't attractive. The meatloaf was salty.
Floyd - Danyelle questioned the meat that was too plain. Salad was bizarre with spinach and pomegranate

OUT: Naomi
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:44:30 AM by franxaverian »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
In next week's season finale on Wednesday, June 15 at 10 p.m ET/PT, the final three chefs must create a 4-course meal based on memory, inspiration and self-reflection (just like TCM1 and TCM2) . To stir up the pot, the fourth course is a blast from the past, as the chefs must remake their worst reviewed meal for the critics that dished out un-appetizing reviews. For a sneak peek go to: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/season-3/videos/stress-builds-in-the-final-minutes.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Thanks to both of you for keeping me updated. I have the show DVR'd but haven't had time to catch up.  :<3
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:05 AM »
It's time for a final forecast. I am sticking with Floyd for the win. MarySue and Traci have both won more challenges than Floyd, but I think he best embodies the culinary traits needed for a win.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
Arghhhhh......I'm still devastated about Naomi's loss. The moment Ruth mentioned about the undercooked shrimp, I know that she's out.

I'm a bit surprised about Mary Sue as she was in the bottom a couple of times but in the last 5, she won 3 of them. I might be deceived by her looks. I thought up until last episode that she was young but last episode, the chefs mentioned that Naomi is the youngest one out of 4. Mary Sue might be in to win it....

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
I find the question of the ages of the TCM3 Final 4 interesting, so I have done some serious detective work to find out more about their ages. Somewhere over the past 2 months I discovered that Naomi Pomeroy is age 37, so let's start with that.

MarySue Milliken has been in partnership professionally and living with renowned chef Susan Feniger (a TCM2 competitor) since 1981 and they met working in a restaurant in 1978. MarySue was born in 1958, so that means she is either 53 or soon to turn 53.

Traci Des Jardins has left no specific information on the public record about her birthdate or age, but it can be inferred from her work history. She stated as a student at the University of Santa Cruz, but there is no indication that she finished there (if she did she's older), so assume that she was 20 when she left there. She started working at 7th St. Bistro in Los Angeles soon after it opened in 1981. Let's call it age 50 or 51 for her; she cannot be younger but she could be slightly older.

Floyd Cardoz also has left no specific information on the public record about his birthday or age. However, we know that he got a Masters Degree in Biochemistry in India. Let's assume he did so at an age of at least 23 (although it is possible to get a MS younger than that; I did). He then attended a culinary school in India, so say 24 minimum at graduation. He then moved to Europe and attended another culinary school there. He is on record of being trained at Lespinasse for 5 years, so that made him a minimum of 30. In 1998 he made it to the U.S., so that adds 13 years to determine his current age. I am calling it at at least 43.

So, Naomi was the youngest (and she looked it), Floyd was next youngest (and he looked it), Traci was next oldest and MarySue probably the oldest.    
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:33:21 PM by apskip »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Without questioning your findings apskip, I just wanted to say that judging solely by appearance Traci to me looks older than Mary Sue. When I first show her I thought she was around 55.

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:41 AM »
TCM 3 Finale:

Final Challenge -> Cook meal composed of 3 courses:
1. Food from the chef's first food memory
2. Food that inspires the person to become a chef
3. Critiques'(also the judge panel) choice which is also their favorite food memory:
    Gael Greene - Traci --> Fried Duck
    James Oseland -  Floyd --> Beef Rendang
    Ruth Reichl - Mary Sue --> Lemon Souffle

The chefs will be helped by their chef from their own restaurant:
Morgan Mueller for Traci
Ty Kotz for Floyd
Jaime Covarrubias for Mary Sue

Diners, along with the judges mentioned before:
Finalists of TCM 2(minus Carmen Gonzalez & Marcus Samuelsson) :Jonathan Waxman, Susur Lee, Susan Feniger, Rick Moonen, Jody Adams.
Tom Collichio, Danyelle Freeman, Alan Systma

Result:
Runner up, Traci
Course 1: Shrimp Creole
Course 2: Roasted Quail Salad with Sweetbreads, Mushroom and Pancetta
Course 3: Duo of Duck: Crisp Duck Bearnaise & Braised Duck Leg Salad

Runner up, Mary Sue
Course 1: Asian Steak Tartare
Course 2: Shrimp & Chervil Mousse Stuffed Rigatoni, Crab & Shrimp Salpicon
Course 3: Lemon Souffle with Rhubarb Compote, Lemon Hazelnut Meringue with Lemon Ice Cream

1st Place, WINNER, Floyd
Course 1: Wild Mushroom Upma Polenta with Kokum and Coconut Milk
Course 2: Rice Flaked Snapper Tomato-Fennel Broth with Carrots
Course 3: Rendang two ways: Oxtail & Short Ribs, Tapioca Pilaf with Diced Potato & Peanuts
Prize: Title of Top Chef Masters & $100,000 for Young Scientist Cancer Research Fund  + Top Masters Chef Jacket

Offline franxaverian

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 03:22:52 AM »
And with this, Top Chef Masters 3 has been wrapped up beautifully..... :hearts:

Oh how I am so surprised to hear that James' favorite food is rendang. For me, rendang is also a favorite dish and I love comparing how each restaurant cooks their rendang in their specialised way(being an Indonesian, if someone has never eaten rendang, he/she might as well become other country's resident). So happy to see that the dish is cooked perfectly by Floyd.

@Apskip: Great guessing for the winner. I was concerned that Floyd weren't gonna able to cook the rendang as it is usually cooked overnight and when it is shown that he lost a lot of time, I thought he's gone for good.