Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 5 "Don't Ruin the Basketball Game" (Kunming, China)  (Read 126301 times)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18 Ep 5 "Don't Ruin the Basketball Game" (Kunming, China)
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »
After re-looking at the basketball game. I think Kisha and Jen are also playing. Also the teams must have some amount of time there (HOO?) because the trotters have everybody outfitted.  :lol:

If there is a HOO I still can't figure out how M/L got around it.

I just had a passing thought after looking around Kunming on Google Earth. I'm not seeing a lot of higher mountains around Kunming. You have to go 40 or 50 miles to find mountains about 2000 feet higher than Kunming. Those mountains in the distance look higher than that and not that far away. Could that pickup basketball game be in Lijiang while they wait for the train?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks Chill_SD! That makes it way easier! (And swooping in to rob Joab's glory...) :lol:

The 云南省文化馆 (Yunnan Province Cultural Centre) is right next to my plot of land...

If only someone who found the video posted that right away... :lol:

Thank you Chill_SD. Omg, it ended my AGONY. I thought i was gonna search like hell again! :tup:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
But look at the large empty space indicated by the blue square. There is no photo there. If there was a photo, it would be there.

If you look at the blank U-Turn sign, though, there is a "1" in the middle of the arrow and a "2" on the lower left.  I don't think a  picture is going to go in the upper right, and I don't think there is room for the usual "Courtesy Of" photo.

On second thought, you may be right.  Here's the sign from last time. And a single one for comparison.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:57:47 PM by chill_sd »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
You can see the writing on the wall during the 3-pointer, but the artwork (and the camera pan) interferes with a good read.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Updated version of the map, tried to find the 2 "hospitals" near it and turns out to be small clinics without any photos on google or what. (:;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:58 AM »
Of all days to be offline! :groan:

GREAT work everyone!! :hearts:

Promo up in post 2!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »
Promo 1 caps! (first half)

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »
(second half)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:13:52 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »
"writing on the wall"

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:25 AM »
That is the clearest cap I can get of the writing on the wall behind Phil (26&27) ...does it help with the location??

Let me know if you want more...there are about 900 more! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2011, 03:27:41 AM »
How stressed should Vyxsin be to forget to put on her makeup?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »
After re-looking at the basketball game. I think Kisha and Jen are also playing. Also the teams must have some amount of time there (HOO?) because the trotters have everybody outfitted.  :lol:

If there is a HOO I still can't figure out how M/L got around it.

I just had a passing thought after looking around Kunming on Google Earth. I'm not seeing a lot of higher mountains around Kunming. You have to go 40 or 50 miles to find mountains about 2000 feet higher than Kunming. Those mountains in the distance look higher than that and not that far away. Could that pickup basketball game be in Lijiang while they wait for the train?

This is a possibility that no one had thought of. I believe the daylight looks correct for late afternoon. 
Question is, is there a place like that in Lijiang? Will have to look around later.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »
"Don't Ruin the Basketball Game" (Kunming, China) - The pressure builds when a prehistoric Roadblock pushes one Racer over the edge and a Double U-turn causes panic among the teams as they race to avoid elimination, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 20 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Nothing new except a racer who goes  nuts at the roadblock.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
I think I heard 'Go Kisha' during the Roadblock there (specifically in Vyxsin's words). Or I'm just turning nuts. :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
"This is an opportunity for two teams to U-TURN two other teams".. did anyone catch that?

So let's just ASSUME if Goths used their U-TURN on the cheerleaders, then the cheerleaders can't U-TURN. I think.. yes/no?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
"This is an opportunity for two teams to U-TURN two other teams".. did anyone catch that?

So let's just ASSUME if Goths used their U-TURN on the cheerleaders, then the cheerleaders can't U-TURN. I think.. yes/no?

I would tend to think that the Redheads can't U-Turn. Whether or not anyone else is U-Turned, we know it doesn't matter since the Redheads are eliminated. If there is another team U-Turned, than the Redheads must have stunk at the Roadblock or something.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
peach, i can't see the words at the basketball game.. but i'm pretty sure it's just ESM...

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »
I think I heard 'Go Kisha' during the Roadblock there (specifically in Vyxsin's words). Or I'm just turning nuts. :lol:

Could you tell us what the time on the video is that you thought you heard this? It might be helpful.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »
peach, i can't see the words at the basketball game.. but i'm pretty sure it's just ESM...

Cord says "It's like playing basketball with trees."

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »

I would say that it is possible for Ja/Ca to U-Turn, but only after they have completed the other side of the Detour, since a team is not allowed to use a U-Turn before completing the Detour, and they technically have not completed their Detour.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
I would say that it is possible for Ja/Ca to U-Turn, but only after they have completed the other side of the Detour, since a team is not allowed to use a U-Turn before completing the Detour, and they technically have not completed their Detour.

Yes, I would agree with you on that point. Sorry, I forgot to convey that in my previous post.

The question is, does anyone else U-Turn, and if so, who is it?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »

Yes, I would agree with you on that point. Sorry, I forgot to convey that in my previous post.

I wouldn't think so.

I'm assuming at this point that K/V and Ja/Ca are well towards the back of the pack (K/V because of how far behind they are at this point, and Ja/Ca because they are with them.) Although Zev & Justin are not yet accounted for in the previews, bar one close up that gives us no frame of reference with the other teams.

I'm speculating that the K/V & Ja/Ca are the bottom two for the whole leg, and Zev & Justin will catch a leveller to put them with all the others. Assuming this is correct, other teams might not be U-Turning simply because of how far behind K/V & Ja/Ca are, so they figure that their target will not get eliminated.

EDIT: But then of course we have the cap of Vyxsin with Luke and what looks like Kisha or Jen in the background, so there goes my whole "Kent and Vyxsin are so far behind so nobody bothers U-Turning" theory
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:23:53 AM by Coutzy »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »

Cord says "It's like playing basketball with trees."

I am referring to the chinese words. I can see what Cord said pretty fine. Thanks.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2011, 09:22:46 AM »

I wouldn't think so.

I'm assuming at this point that K/V and Ja/Ca are well towards the back of the pack (K/V because of how far behind they are at this point, and Ja/Ca because they are with them.) Although Zev & Justin are not yet accounted for in the previews, bar one close up that gives us no frame of reference with the other teams.

I'm speculating that the K/V & Ja/Ca are the bottom two for the whole leg, and Zev & Justin will catch a leveller to put them with all the others. Assuming this is correct, other teams might not be U-Turning simply because of how far behind K/V & Ja/Ca are, so they figure that their target will not get eliminated.

Great minds "speculate" alike. I am inclining towards Goths U-TURNing Jaime and Cara and they're the only last two teams lagging so far behind. BUT.. Goths are 5th this leg.. right?! :duno:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
I don't know.. i'm thinking Jaime and Cara are the first team "W-TURN" and maybe FT and BE or Zev and Justin will be the receivers of the second one. I think Ronald and Christina plainly suck and had a bad leg this leg.. that's why they check in 7th. :lol: