Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158903 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1025 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
Based on the Sahara sandstorm that interrupted filming in season one in Tunisia, and the blizzard that struck during filming in Siberian Russia of TAR 14 (leg 5; teams were on a train on the Trans-Siberian Railway as a rolling pitstop), my guess is that production would adjust that leg and/or the following leg; there have been "extended pit stops" on a couple of occasions due to production issues. There was also the apparent adjustment of legs and tasks when the teams last visited Phuket in Thailand; it's not clear if Phuket was the original primary location for those legs, or whether that was a complete substitution for legs in a different country; this is because teams were sent to Bangkok after teams had completed two roadblocks in Phuket.

So those are the things that have been observed in past seasons, and the logical deduction is that production would use similar responses in your hypothetical situation.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1026 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
Scenario 1: about fast forward
A team chooses to skip the fast forward and go to the next task (let's say it's a roadblock). This team goes to the roadblock and fails after several attempts.
Questions to this scenario:
1.) Is the team allowed to go back and perform the fast forward instead?
2.) If yes, what happens to the team's roadblock count?

Scenario 2: about u-turn
Let's say... there are 9 teams. They all bunched-up before the detour (let's say by means of a HoO). One team gets lost and was not able to perform either side of the detour. That team accidentally finds the u-turn ahead of all the other teams. (Note: They will definitely have to go back and perform the detour.)
Question to this scenario: Is the lost team allowed to use the u-turn before going back to either side of the detour?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1027 on: December 31, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
A team chooses to skip the fast forward and go to the next task (let's say it's a roadblock). This team goes to the roadblock and fails after several attempts.

Let's say... there are 9 teams. They all bunched-up before the detour (let's say by means of a HoO). One team gets lost and was not able to perform either side of the detour. That team accidentally finds the u-turn ahead of all the other teams. (Note: They will definitely have to go back and perform the detour.)
Question to this scenario: Is the lost team allowed to use the u-turn before going back to either side of the detour?
SCENARIO 1: Yes, a team is allowed to take the Fast Forward anytime before the first task is completed on that Leg. The unfinished Roadblock penalty is nullified, but the count will be tallied.

SCENARIO 2: Most likely, the team will be smart enough to keep on searching for the Detour site, but if they follow the scneario, the skipped Detour will become a 12-hour penalty since well, they skipped the Detour. The U-Turn will still be in effect for the stalled team.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1028 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
I would go further and say that an unclaimed fast forward may be taken at any point within the leg by any team which has not previously claimed one.

In TAR4 there were two legs where a team completed a task then went on to claim the fast forward which was prevoisly inaccessible (one because of geographical placement and one due to hours of operation).
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #1029 on: December 31, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
SCENARIO 2: Most likely, the team will be smart enough to keep on searching for the Detour site, but if they follow the scneario, the skipped Detour will become a 12-hour penalty since well, they skipped the Detour. The U-Turn will still be in effect for the stalled team.

Really said team must have had a Heather & Eve sized lapse in their logic to find the U-Turn and then proceed onwards instead of realising they skipped the Detour entirely :lol:

I would go further and say that an unclaimed fast forward may be taken at any point within the leg by any team which has not previously claimed one.

In TAR4 there were two legs where a team completed a task then went on to claim the fast forward which was prevoisly inaccessible (one because of geographical placement and one due to hours of operation).

When was this, could you enlighten me?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1030 on: December 31, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »

I mean: One team accidentally skips the detour, and finds a u-turn. Before going back to either side of the detour, are they allowed to use the u-turn?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1031 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »

I mean: One team accidentally skips the detour, and finds a u-turn. Before going back to either side of the detour, are they allowed to use the u-turn?

I don't think we've seen anything remotely like this since the advent of the U-Turn. We have seen teams skip a task and reach the pit stop by accident (Derek and Drew, TAR 3, Vietnam, for instance) and were sent back to properly find and complete the final task before they could check in. My guess is that the team would be penalized for not completing the detour task before reaching the U-Turn point; whether their use of the U-Turn would even count is an unknown. We've seen a couple of instances where a team selected a team ahead of them for the U-Turn, which effectively nullified it, but I don't know if there's anything that provides an answer.
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1032 on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »

But if a team quits a roadblock, it is a 4-hour penalty...

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1033 on: January 01, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »

They didn't quit they just moved onto the FF...

Also this is allowed because Brandon & Nicole did it (though they failed the FF)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1034 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:41 AM »

They didn't quit they just moved onto the FF...

Also this is allowed because Brandon & Nicole did it (though they failed the FF)

That's interesting...

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1035 on: January 02, 2014, 05:45:40 AM »
Question! What place did Ethan & Jenna finished in TAR19, 10th or 11th? There's seems to be some conflict in the racer's Wikipedia pages. I believe it's 10th, how about you guys?
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1036 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
Question! What place did Ethan & Jenna finished in TAR19, 10th or 11th? There's seems to be some conflict in the racer's Wikipedia pages. I believe it's 10th, how about you guys?
10th. I remember Phil saying "You are 10th but it's a double elimination...." To Ethan & Jenna while the flight attendants were told the normal "your last, your out"

Offline wcpamotm

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1037 on: January 02, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »

When was this, could you enlighten me?

In leg 2, Steve and Dave arrived in Venice before 8:30 with most of the other teams and immediately performed the pathway/waterway detour.  They opted to take the FF which opened at 2pm; this still gained them hours over the other teams as the roadblock did not open until 5pm.

In leg 4, Tian performed the race car roadblock in LeMans.  The next morning in Marseilles, she and Jaree decided to take the FF.  I'm not sure when the FF clue was given in this leg, but a smart team would not count on backtracking all the way to LeMans should they not  succeed.
We can put a man on the moon, so why can't we have a Fast Forward in every leg?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1038 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
^Thanks :D

Offline aslpro

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #1039 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry if this is a total noob question. I was hoping to procure season 14 on DVD but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I notice that a lot of the earlier seasons are on DVD but not the later ones. Did they just stop making DVDs for seasons? Or are they just behind and they will all come out eventually?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1040 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry if this is a total noob question. I was hoping to procure season 14 on DVD but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I notice that a lot of the earlier seasons are on DVD but not the later ones. Did they just stop making DVDs for seasons? Or are they just behind and they will all come out eventually?
They have made DVDs for Seasons 1 to 12 so far.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline aslpro

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #1041 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
Yep, those were the ones I found. I am wondering if there are plans for the other seasons to come out as well or if they stopped making them altogether and I should give up hope for TAR14.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1042 on: January 02, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »
Actually, it's seasons 1 to 11 that have become available on DVD so far; except for seasons 1 and 7, they are only available through an Amazon produced on demand platform; seasons 1 and 7 were released in the traditional DVD marketplace.

Seasons 13 through 23 are available for purchase from I-Tunes with seasons 18 through 23 also available from I-Tunes in a HD format.

The only season not yet available in either format is season 12. There was a promo during one of the episodes of TAR 23 for seasons 12 and 13 for pre-order on Amazon, however, that was never followed up with other promotions, and have not become available on Amazon.

Many seasons are available for streaming through Hulu plus, but I haven't used that service and can't tell you anything able it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:54:20 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1043 on: January 03, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
Have there been any current active duty military people run the race. I know about the former POW. Was he still active duty. Any others?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1044 on: January 03, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »
Have there been any current active duty military people run the race. I know about the former POW. Was he still active duty. Any others?

The only one that comes to mind is Dave Brown from season 20. I think he's in the Army Reserve (and thus wasn't on active duty at the time the season was filmed), but I'm not 100 per cent certain of the Reserve status.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1045 on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »
Yep, those were the ones I found. I am wondering if there are plans for the other seasons to come out as well or if they stopped making them altogether and I should give up hope for TAR14.
Actually, if you have a Macintosh product, season 14 - 23 can be bought on iTunes for about $10 per season.

The only one that comes to mind is Dave Brown from season 20. I think he's in the Army Reserve (and thus wasn't on active duty at the time the season was filmed), but I'm not 100 per cent certain of the Reserve status.
I think Jim (of Jim & Marsha) from season 5 was on active duty. Not sure though, but I remember Jim & Marsha being dubbed as "military dad/daughter".
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1046 on: January 04, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
Actually, if you have a Macintosh product, season 14 - 23 can be bought on iTunes for about $10 per season.

I think Jim (of Jim & Marsha) from season 5 was on active duty. Not sure though, but I remember Jim & Marsha being dubbed as "military dad/daughter".
I think the "military dad/daughter was because Jim had served in the military.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1047 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »
Scenario 1: Elimination issues?
Two teams decided to withdraw on the same leg, and the leg happens to be a NEL. What happens in this case?

Scenario 2: TAR22L1 Sandcastle rb
What happens if the team member who did the rb decided not to rebuild all the sandcastles the team member destroyed, but found the clue under one of them?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1048 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
Scenario 1: Elimination issues?
Two teams decided to withdraw on the same leg, and the leg happens to be a NEL. What happens in this case?

Scenario 2: TAR22L1 Sandcastle rb
What happens if the team member who did the rb decided not to rebuild all the sandcastles the team member destroyed, but found the clue under one of them?
S1: I think both teams will be allowed to withdraw from the race, but NEL's will be switched around. ???

S2: This will just incur a 4-hour penalty since the team member didn't follow Roadblock instructions properly.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1049 on: January 12, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
Are teams allowed to mingle during the Pit Stops or are they sequestered from each other?