Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161542 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1000 on: December 10, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
24 hour penalties don't happen any more, but I think they used to do a pity elimination for teams too far behind *coughUchenna&Joycecough*

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1001 on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
A 24 hour penalty would be assessed on their departure time for the following leg; it probably would lead to an eiimination, depending on what is planned (a long plane trip with an HOO could well reduce the gap significantly.)
In the early seasons we did see teams fall behind by 24 hours on an NEL, and they continued Racing. In TAR 1, Margarita and Frank had a 24 hour lead headed to India, and by the end of the next leg the other teams had caught up in India; In TAR 11, one team was a day ahead in arriving in Tanzania, due to flight scheduling issues in an heavy travel period in Africa, but an HOO allowed other teams to catch up; and in TAR 1 beginning in Thailand, two teams fell 24 hours behind the lead teams, and the last team was eliminated in Beijing, and the other team never caught up before the end of the Race, they had just started the final leg when the winning team reached the finish line.

One thing is clear the show does not switch NELs around because a team fell far behind, or quit the Race, or anything else. Its a governmental rule dealing with contests on television that prevents it, and the producers literally have to have put the plans (including alternative legs and so forth) in an sealed affidivit before filming starts. (That may have changed at some point, but it was clearly the case during the early seasons.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1002 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the answer TS, that clarifies it from every angle possible  :cmas20

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1003 on: December 11, 2013, 03:21:42 AM »
A 24 hour penalty would be assessed on their departure time for the following leg; it probably would lead to an eiimination, depending on what is planned (a long plane trip with an HOO could well reduce the gap significantly.)
In the early seasons we did see teams fall behind by 24 hours on an NEL, and they continued Racing. In TAR 1, Margarita and Frank had a 24 hour lead headed to India, and by the end of the next leg the other teams had caught up in India; In TAR 11, one team was a day ahead in arriving in Tanzania, due to flight scheduling issues in an heavy travel period in Africa, but an HOO allowed other teams to catch up; and in TAR 1 beginning in Thailand, two teams fell 24 hours behind the lead teams, and the last team was eliminated in Beijing, and the other team never caught up before the end of the Race, they had just started the final leg when the winning team reached the finish line.

One thing is clear the show does not switch NELs around because a team fell far behind, or quit the Race, or anything else. Its a governmental rule dealing with contests on television that prevents it, and the producers literally have to have put the plans (including alternative legs and so forth) in an sealed affidivit before filming starts. (That may have changed at some point, but it was clearly the case during the early seasons.)

Thank you very much! :cmas17 Loved the info bolded above.

Offline zerorecall

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1004 on: December 11, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
I love all-Star seasons, funny thing is when they have "average" joe teams they make for better TV because the average person can relate to them more. :) So here's a hint.... get more average joe teams CBS ( example Dave and Mary, Art and JJ , Tim and Danny, roller durby moms.. :) - less " industry" people IE famous, models, TV writers etc

Offline jetishidae

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Bears the name of Battle Born
« Reply #1005 on: December 12, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
if a team quits before the leg even started, does that leg become a NEL? pretty sure it's happen when Dave & Connor decided to quit. i remember because i was like so confuse what's the point of double u-turn when nobody is eliminated in the end

and what would happen if a team quit (like in Maria & Tiffany situation) in a NEL leg?

oh one last question, i wonder how Zev & Justin realize that Zev lost his passport?
I'am now and forever post-love

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1006 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
if a team quits before the leg even started, does that leg become a NEL? pretty sure it's happen when Dave & Connor decided to quit. i remember because i was like so confuse what's the point of double u-turn when nobody is eliminated in the end
In Dave and Conner's case, they had decided to quit before being released for the leg, but traveled to the new country and went directly to see Phil at the Pit Stop and were eliminated. For placement purposes. that leg was an elimination leg, so they were considered to have finished 8th IIRC in the Race.

and what would happen if a team quit (like in Maria & Tiffany situation) in a NEL leg?
Maria and Tiffany quit the detour on an elimination leg, but because all the other teams had checked in, Phil went to the detour location and eliminated them without formally assessing the penalty for quitting the detour.

oh one last question, i wonder how Zev & Justin realize that Zev lost his passport?
I'd have to go back to the episode recording to be sure, but they had realized they did not have both passports with them when they reached the Pit Stop, and Phil sent them back out to find the passport and they had until all the other teams had checked in in order to proceed to the next leg. It was an elimination leg.
This was the leg that established that a team that misplaces or loses their passport have until the teams are departing to the next county to find or replace the passport; they must have the passport to proceed (i.e., buying airline tickets, or train or ferry tickets).
-- theschnauzers

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1007 on: December 16, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
In season 17 Connor perform the first 4 roadblocks and then they were eliminated. :tup:
Hmm, that's interesting, because by leg 7, Michael had done 2 RBs and Kevin had done 4. However, before the leg's RB, Kevin says something like 'I've done 4 RBs and my dad's only done 2, so he had to do this one'.
??
That question still remains a mystery, I guess.
In S19 among first seven RBs Jeremy performed 5 and Sandy only 2 but they went to the F3 because 3 consecutive RBs in leg 7, 8 and 9 didn't requrie physical and Sandy completed all of it as well as RB in leg 11 and leg 12 (I thought Jeremy/Sandy was the first M/F team had a RBs devident 6/7

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1008 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
In season 17 Connor perform the first 4 roadblocks and then they were eliminated. :tup:
In season 22 Connor performed 4 RBs and Dave only one before they withdrew because of his tendon achilles if Dave didnt injury I though Dave performed RBs in leg 4, 6 and 7

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1009 on: December 16, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »

Here's a good question. What if a team Dave & Connor were unable to continue in Leg 2, or decided to quit? Will the NELs be changed since the next leg was a KRL? Can a team possibly sue CBS?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1010 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

Here's a good question. What if a team Dave & Connor were unable to continue in Leg 2, or decided to quit?
I think TPTB will do everything possible to get the team to check in at the pit stop and have them quit in an elimination leg. When you watched every episode of every season, you can tell when the last place team is encouraged by production to finish any difficult task in an NEL and not quit unless it becomes medically unavoidable. This is what they did with Dave and Connor, and they were allowed to go directly to the pit stop on the following elimination leg.
Will the NELs be changed since the next leg was a KRL?
No. They can't and the order of elimination points aren't change, even if the leg itself has to be switched to a backup planned leg.

Can a team possibly sue CBS?
From an early season of Survivor, a copy of one of those agreements with CBS made it online because of a lawsuit. It's clear from that example that the participants waives their claim against the network in the event of an injury; and on the otherhand, CBS always have medical staff traveling with the teams and have local medical resources available (one reason why private security travels with, but out of sight of the camera, the teams). IIRC, only one lawsuit against Mark Burnett ever made it past the pre-trial process, and it was settled in some way, bu no court has ever refused to enforce the no claim provisions of that key agreement. (That lawsuit came out of the first season of Survivor when one of the contestants claim Burnett interferred to prevent Rudy from being voted off early in the season, but that was never proved; and such claims are almost impossible to prove since all producer contact is recorded by the camera crews.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1011 on: December 17, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »
From an early season of Survivor, a copy of one of those agreements with CBS made it online because of a lawsuit. It's clear from that example that the participants waives their claim against the network in the event of an injury; and on the otherhand, CBS always have medical staff traveling with the teams and have local medical resources available (one reason why private security travels with, but out of sight of the camera, the teams). IIRC, only one lawsuit against Mark Burnett ever made it past the pre-trial process, and it was settled in some way, bu no court has ever refused to enforce the no claim provisions of that key agreement. (That lawsuit came out of the first season of Survivor when one of the contestants claim Burnett interferred to prevent Rudy from being voted off early in the season, but that was never proved; and such claims are almost impossible to prove since all producer contact is recorded by the camera crews.)

My question was if let's say for discussion sake that John & Jessica's* position was affected because of a last-minute change of legs, and they somehow found out, could they sue CBS?

*I'm just using a random team here.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1012 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »
They can't prove that they would have done better on the other leg though.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1013 on: December 17, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »

My question was if let's say for discussion sake that John & Jessica's* position was affected because of a last-minute change of legs, and they somehow found out, could they sue CBS?

*I'm just using a random team here.

It's my understanding from what I've read and heard over the years that the contracts contestants sign would preclude such a claim, because a waiver of those types of claims are part of the contract. It's like a typical game show where a category or task of the show is changed for technical reasons at the last minute. This is where the lawsuit over the first season of Survivor comes in and Burnett did not lose that lawsuit which claimed he interfered with the vote at tribal council that voted the contestant off the show. (There's also the example of the US version of Big Brother where indirect producer interference of sorts is legendary, but that show is not even considered a game show for regulatory purposes.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Rachel Berry

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1014 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
What happens if a team says ( before the show airs ) that they win, their final place or something important?
Jason & Amy to win TAR23

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1015 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
$1,000,000 fine I think?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1016 on: December 17, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
$1,000,000 fine I think?

I haven't seen the actual contract, but I've seen both $5 million and $10 million mentioned in the past. Whatever the number is now, it is a so-called "liquidated damages" provision to make it simpler to prove an amount, although the actual amount of damages is all of the costs of producing that season, so I wouldn't be surprised if the contracted amount now is higher.
-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1017 on: December 18, 2013, 06:31:31 AM »

Let's say Dave & Connor survived on Leg 2, but withdrew during the Leg 2 pit stop period, with eight teams starting Leg 3. Leg 4 becomes non-elimination, with say Chuck & Wynona non-eliminated. In the next leg they u-turn John & Jessica to survive (logically using the last u-turn), and let's imagine in this case they don't have /or use their express pass.

If they could somehow prove that Leg 4 was somehow changed into a non-elimination leg, could they possibly sue on the grounds that if Chuck & Wynona weren't non-e, they wouldn't have needed to use the u-turn, and they could possibly survive Leg 5?

MrDeerShank

« Reply #1018 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
I think if they wanted to quit, they'd have to do it prior to the last team checking hin

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1019 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

Let's say Dave & Connor survived on Leg 2, but withdrew during the Leg 2 pit stop period, with eight teams starting Leg 3. Leg 4 becomes non-elimination, with say Chuck & Wynona non-eliminated. In the next leg they u-turn John & Jessica to survive (logically using the last u-turn), and let's imagine in this case they don't have /or use their express pass.

If they could somehow prove that Leg 4 was somehow changed into a non-elimination leg, could they possibly sue on the grounds that if Chuck & Wynona weren't non-e, they wouldn't have needed to use the u-turn, and they could possibly survive Leg 5?

I think the film clips shown during their season shows that Dennis and Conner did in fact decide to quit during the rest period, but accomodated the producers to fly to the next country, went to the pit stop and then were eliminated.

I'm not sure what different scenario you are trying to create. The producers can't change the planned elimination points and NELs.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Rachel Berry

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1020 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
Is the elimination station still existing?
Jason & Amy to win TAR23

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1021 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
I think I answered this a few weeks back. It depends on what you mean by the elimination station. Teams are still sent to a resort somewhere to spend 1-2 weeks until it's time for them to fly to the final city. Do they still film short video clips for TAR from wherever it is they are being kept? Not that I can see.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1022 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
In the Chinese version there is no elimination station though. Teams go home after their elimination.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1023 on: December 19, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
^That is infinitely stupid because it makes the boot order ridiculously easy to spoil.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1024 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Scenario:
While the teams are in the middle of racing, an earthquake happens in the country.
What will happen if this happens?