Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158785 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #725 on: January 27, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
During the first 4 seasons, there could have been up to 12 Fast Forwards in any one Race; when the Race reached a point where all of the remaining teams had won a fast forward, then the FF was no longer made available. I believe from memory without looking it up that the latest team that won a FF in those four seasons was Tara and Wil in season 2 on the last possible leg (assuring they made final three) but don't hold me to that.
After that, the use and benefit of the FF changed drastically and reduced the strategic value of going for a FF on any leg when it was available. Usually, the leading team at the time would go for and take the FF assuring them of a leg win, but there was little strategy involved.
-- theschnauzers

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #726 on: January 27, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
One thing to mention about field producers during filming.
WRP (Bert, Elise, and company travel with the Race during filming and from what I've understood, they trying to cover the main tasks and pit stop traveling separately from Phil and the Racers. Phil also wears a producer hat, mostly for his stand-ups and perhaps the pit stops if the main production team has to get ahead to the locations for the following leg(s). Then there are local producers in each country that get that leg and its tasks set up for filming. They could be locals, could be based with WRP, or are hired from other places to come in and handle certain locations for the filming. (Remember the local producer who died in Uganda a year or so back? He was brought in to help set up and film the Malawi legs a couple of Racers ago and was based in South Africa, IIRC. Although his death wasn't when he was helping WRP, he was an example of a producer that helps out in a particular country for filiming.)

Awesome info! Thanks!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #727 on: January 27, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
I think my question got lost here, but

What would happen if one half of an intersected team used an express pass on the Intersection?

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #728 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
I think my question got lost here, but

What would happen if one half of an intersected team used an express pass on the Intersection?

I would think both teams would just bypass the task like a normal task that is Express Passed.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #729 on: January 28, 2013, 12:02:22 AM »
What would happen if the Express Pass was used in an intersection task?

Most likely both teams would get to skip it... i say this because this happens when a fast forward is used as part of an intersection

who says u cant quote urself

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #730 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »

Most likely both teams would get to skip it... i say this because this happens when a fast forward is used as part of an intersection

Sorry Tarfan, I forgot about your answer.  :groan:

MrDeerShank

« Reply #731 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
What happened if a team accidentally pressed the wrong picture on the U-Turn board? Let's say Team A get to the U-Turn first and choose to U-Turn Team B, but accidentally choose Team C despite the fact they said they were going to U-Turn Team B, would Team B or Team C get U-Turned? And also, suppose it was Team B that would be U-Turned, and they want to U-Turn Team D, and they do that but press the wrong CoP and choose the CoP of Team C - what would happen then? I know this might sound a bit technical, but I always thought that this could be a problem with touchscreen U-Turns :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #732 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
Dunno if they would be allowed a "do-over" or not, my guess is for drama they would be stuck with what they actually picked!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #733 on: February 01, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »

Sorry Tarfan, I forgot about your answer.  :groan:
its all good.. u might just have to let me win in design challenge lol jk

MrDeerShank

« Reply #734 on: February 01, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
Dunno if they would be allowed a "do-over" or not, my guess is for drama they would be stuck with what they actually picked!

I was thinking moreso for the latter scenario, when they pressed the wrong "whodunnit" picture - suppose we might never find out...

MrDeerShank

« Reply #735 on: February 12, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
Another question - does anybody know how long a Yield lasted before teams could continue on? Or did it vary for each Yield?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #736 on: February 12, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
I believe the Yield hourglass was about 15 minutes before teams could start racing again. In season 10 (Morocco), the "Yield Queens" yielded Lyn & Karlyn during the staged chariot Roadblock and it was when D&K, Roberly, and the models all have passed halfway in the first lap before Lyn & Karlyn were released from their yielding.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #737 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
Yes, Yield was 15 minutes. It was enough for Weavers to finish their Macdonalds. :lol3:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #738 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »

That would be my guess to. It would be stupid and hilarious as phil will probably say this for the preview.... "Next week on The Amazing Race, for the first time ever... A team uses their U-TURN wrongly by accident".. :stare

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #739 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »

That would be my guess to. It would be stupid and hilarious as phil will probably say this for the preview.... "Next week on The Amazing Race, for the first time ever... A team uses their U-TURN wrongly by accident".. :stare

Knowing the style used in the promos, I guess it would be more like "...and a team make a critical mistake that results in jeopardizing the survival of another team...".
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #740 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
Well that sounds more like it! :lol3:

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #741 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:30 PM »
Another question - does anybody know how long a Yield lasted before teams could continue on? Or did it vary for each Yield?
Each yield varied. Colin & Christie's yield (the very first time it was used) was roughly 40-45 minutes.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #742 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
As to making a mistake choosing a team, I also think the choosing team would be stuck with their choice, no matter once.

Mechanically until a couple seasons ago, the Yield/U-Turn used sticker-backed photographs of the teams that had to be torn off and pasted onto the Yield/U-Turn board, and each team had its own photo in their TAR Fanny Pack that was to be attached in the same way. So I agree that a team would be stuck with an erroneous choice.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:11 AM »
Each yield varied. Colin & Christie's yield (the very first time it was used) was roughly 40-45 minutes.

Is there any evidence? I remembered its mostly 15 minutes. They started the jeepney task just when the other three teams were done. Which fixing the jeepney would take about 15 mins plus?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »

I have seen a variety of answers above, so I will give you a different one. I think YIELDs typically ran about 30 minutes for the sand to run out. Maybe some were as low as 15 minutes or as high as 40 minutes, but most appeared to me to be 30 minutes.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #745 on: February 14, 2013, 06:13:21 AM »
Yes, Yield was 15 minutes. It was enough for Weavers to finish their Macdonalds. :lol3:

They must be fast eaters then.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #746 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
What exactly does Extended Pit Stop mean? I see that a lot in spoilers..

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #747 on: February 21, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
What exactly does Extended Pit Stop mean? I see that a lot in spoilers..

More than 12 hours of Pit Stop rest.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Bwils927

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Boston Strong
« Reply #748 on: February 21, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
Declive what the hell is your new profile gif lol
"Perception is not reality. Reality is reality!" - Erik Cardona

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #749 on: February 21, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Declive what the hell is your new profile gif lol

Sorry this is not an Amazing Race question.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard