Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161418 times)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #300 on: December 19, 2011, 06:02:09 PM »
It might be in Season 6, but none of the episodes are called that.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #301 on: December 19, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
I believe it was the alternate title for the first Botswana leg of TAR 7; originally it was aired along with the South Africa leg as a two hour special under one title.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
A question:

On this wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_(U.S._TV_series)), in the award section, it says that the episode for the emmy in 2005 was We're Moving Up the Food Chain. Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to find it in any of the seasons. :cmas5
The episode title sounded familiar.

IMDb also lists that episode title for year 2005 Emmy nomination. I believe there was a double episode where that was the title of the episode for the second hour, but which wasn't used in TV listings; but that was the title used in the Emmy submission. (I found one google link to the Baltimore Sun with an article listing the 2005 Emmy winners with that information, so it isn't anyone's imagination.

ETA: I've done some googling and here's where it fits in. The Botswana legs of TAR 7 (legs 6 and 7) were aired as one episode (episode 6) of two hours. "We're Moving Up The Food Chain" was the second hour's title that was submitted for Emmy consideration (successfully). Not even the DVDs make this clear in the packaging.  It was the second episode in Botswana where Ray and Deana were eliminated. The DVD is a bit confusing because that season included a recap episode with its own episode title quote that some listings indicate as being the second Botswana episode, but that's not correct. It was a season with 14 hours, 12 episodes, and 13 legs. The longest season of TAR's history.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:03:42 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the explanations!!! :cmas17 :xmas146

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2011, 05:39:23 AM »
To any former racer who might be reading this, has anybody actually tried to throw the third leg, reading about the third place curse?

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #305 on: December 20, 2011, 05:51:51 AM »
To any former racer who might be reading this, has anybody actually tried to throw the third leg, reading about the third place curse?

If they did, they'd be stupid

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »
There's no way to absolutely know what position you are, so you have to do your best no matter what leg it is.

But I've seen people try to throw the third leg on fantasy races before. :snicker:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #307 on: December 20, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »

They may choose not to take the Fast Forward mission if there is one in Leg 3. :cmaslol
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Lion

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

They may choose not to take the Fast Forward mission if there is one in Leg 3. :cmaslol

Unlike Survivor there is absolutely no strategy in throwing any leg /challenge on the Race.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #309 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »

Unlike Survivor there is absolutely no strategy in throwing any leg /challenge on the Race.

There is. See S7, where Romber threw the challenge of having a traditional Argentinian feast.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Lion

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »

There is. See S7, where Romber threw the challenge of having a traditional Argentinian feast.

Good point...that was epic....but in modern TAR it will never happen again.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »

SuperTux, I totally disagree. Rob in AR7 ep. 3 knew he was not going to finish the 4 pound meat feast. He expected that several others were not going to either. His very strategic move was to take the 4 hour penalty for not finishing a ROADBLOCK before anyone else did. Although when the penalty was applied that put him behind Alex, Uchenna, Greg and Ron, it also put him ahead of Ray and Meredith, both of whom took the penalty immediately after he did. Patrick did not rally and finish without penalty until Debbie and Bianca arrived and then he finished before Debbie did.

The bottom line is that the phrase "threw the challenge" is not close to what actually happened. "He guaranteed survival" is a better characterization.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2011, 10:43:43 AM »
There are two factors that could be raised about that roadblock a little differently, but no less not "throwing" the roadblock. First Rob and Amber weren't going to finish in first place, whether Rob finished that roadblock or not, and Rob abd Amber weren't going to finish in last place by not finishing the roadblock and taking the penalty. Other than the possible effect it had on their check-in time (and departure time on the next leg), and the likelihood they would run into another bunching point at some point, Rob had nothing else to lose by taking the penalty. The other point is that Rob smartly got other teams to join him in taking the penalty, and thereby provided the likelihood that Rob and Amber would be able to finish the leg ahead of at least one of those teams. (I'm trying to state this from the time perspective of what the viewer knew at the moment this first aired and not with the knowledge of what actually followed. It was a smart move given the way the rules were then set (and having a group quit a task and take a penalty hasn't happened since.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

SuperTux, I totally disagree. Rob in AR7 ep. 3 knew he was not going to finish the 4 pound meat feast. He expected that several others were not going to either. His very strategic move was to take the 4 hour penalty for not finishing a ROADBLOCK before anyone else did. Although when the penalty was applied that put him behind Alex, Uchenna, Greg and Ron, it also put him ahead of Ray and Meredith, both of whom took the penalty immediately after he did. Patrick did not rally and finish without penalty until Debbie and Bianca arrived and then he finished before Debbie did.

The bottom line is that the phrase "threw the challenge" is not close to what actually happened. "He guaranteed survival" is a better characterization.

Well... Do you mean that "to throw the challenge" is equal to pursuing #1 in that leg?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
SuperTux,
The only way that could have happened was for all of the individuals who did the ROADBLOCK to elect after Rob did to take the 4 hour penalty. He knew that was remotely possible but quite unlikely.

It should be obvious that "guarantee survival" meant Rob was only trying to not finish last. He was more successful than that, as Ray and Meredith a short time later took the penalty, Patrick had trouble finishing and Debbie did not start until Rob's penalty had already expired.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »
SuperTux,
The only way that could have happened was for all of the individuals who did the ROADBLOCK to elect after Rob did to take the 4 hour penalty. He knew that was remotely possible but quite unlikely.

It should be obvious that "guarantee survival" meant Rob was only trying to not finish last. He was more successful than that, as Ray and Meredith a short time later took the penalty, Patrick had trouble finishing and Debbie did not start until Rob's penalty had already expired.

I see. Rob did once say that all ranks except the first and the last are all the same. He did guarantee their survival. :cmas16

But this trick didn't seem to work on S11? I haven't watched that season. Poor Romber.:cmas22
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
SuperTux,

In AR11 episode 4, after 3 prior episodes completely in the lead, Rob and Amber had a problem with the Magellan DETOUR and lost time having to switch to the other DETOUR in Puntas Arenas. They were on the second plane, which put them "behind the 8 ball" along with Uchenna/Joyce and Charla/Mirna. At a transfer point by boat from Bahia Lapataia, Uchenna/Joyce and Rob/Amber were on the next-to-last boat. There was supposed to be 20 minutes before Charla/Mirna (the only team in the last boat) were sent. However, they arrived at the dock on Isla Redonda only 5 minutes behind the next-to-last boat. Maybe Charla and Mirna were a little lighter than the other 2 teams, but it looked like a deliberate mistake on the part of the person controlling the boat launches. The postal sorting ROADBLOCK at the Fin Del Mondo post office was to find either of 2 letters addressed to your team from one of the teams in its original season. Either Joyce or Uchenna aced this random task with almost total luck except for skill in sorting through mail. Mirna did very well also. It wasn't Rob's day and he finished well behind Mirna, so far behind that Rob/Amber had no chance at catching up to Charla/Mirna before the pit stop not far away on Isla Redonda.

If there were some way for Rob to guarantee survival in AR11 in the Bahia Lapataia and Isla Redonda areas, he and Amber would have done it. In fact, Amber had misdirected Charla/Mirna to guarantee that they would be on the last boat.

The chain of events in episode 4 led to the elimination of Rob and Amber. Not being on the first charter flight from Punta Arenas to Ushaia, getting to the dock in the next-to-last group and then the nature of the ROADBLOCK all helped to bring mighty Rob down.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #317 on: December 27, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »
SuperTux,

In AR11 episode 4, after 3 prior episodes completely in the lead, Rob and Amber had a problem with the Magellan DETOUR and lost time having to switch to the other DETOUR in Puntas Arenas. They were on the second plane, which put them "behind the 8 ball" along with Uchenna/Joyce and Charla/Mirna. At a transfer point by boat from Bahia Lapataia, Uchenna/Joyce and Rob/Amber were on the next-to-last boat. There was supposed to be 20 minutes before Charla/Mirna (the only team in the last boat) were sent. However, they arrived at the dock on Isla Redonda only 5 minutes behind the next-to-last boat. Maybe Charla and Mirna were a little lighter than the other 2 teams, but it looked like a deliberate mistake on the part of the person controlling the boat launches. The postal sorting ROADBLOCK at the Fin Del Mondo post office was to find either of 2 letters addressed to your team from one of the teams in its original season. Either Joyce or Uchenna aced this random task with almost total luck except for skill in sorting through mail. Mirna did very well also. It wasn't Rob's day and he finished well behind Mirna, so far behind that Rob/Amber had no chance at catching up to Charla/Mirna before the pit stop not far away on Isla Redonda.

If there were some way for Rob to guarantee survival in AR11 in the Bahia Lapataia and Isla Redonda areas, he and Amber would have done it. In fact, Amber had misdirected Charla/Mirna to guarantee that they would be on the last boat.

The chain of events in episode 4 led to the elimination of Rob and Amber. Not being on the first charter flight from Punta Arenas to Ushaia, getting to the dock in the next-to-last group and then the nature of the ROADBLOCK all helped to bring mighty Rob down.
Apskip, thanks for your illustration.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
I am looking for an odd bit of information that I am guessing someone has even though I can't seem to locate it. In one Amazing Race episode there was a visit to a "witch doctor" who concocted a potion which one or both team members had to drink. It may have been in South Africa, but that is just a guess by me. Does anyone know what I am referring to? What season and what episode?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
Maybe the South Africa leg of TAR 2?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »
It was TAR 2. It was the episode where the teams traveled to Soweto (or another township that it was in the area of Cape Town after the teams went to Robbins Island); you might remember Oswald doing the Roadblock and getting one of the locals to guide him around to get items to take to the herbist who made the portion that the Racer doing the roadblock had to drink.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:05:52 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #321 on: January 01, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
Thank you, the schnauzers and Prophet. With your pointing me in the right direction, I have figured out that what I am looking for was in the Cape Town area ROADBLOCK in AR2, ep. 3.

laimis

« Reply #322 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
I have a question  :lol:

What happened to Toni & Dallas after they lost their passports? Why they weren't on the finish mat like all the other 10 teams?
They were stuck in Russia or what?  :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #323 on: January 08, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
They're still there! :ascared

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
I have a question  :lol:

What happened to Toni & Dallas after they lost their passports? Why they weren't on the finish mat like all the other 10 teams?
They were stuck in Russia or what?  :lol:

I believe they found their passports later that day or the next day at the American Embassy. They couldn't make it to the Finish Line on time, but they made it later that night for the Race dinner party.