Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161769 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »
Does anyone know if teams are provided flights or transport back to their home cities after the finish line by WRP? It would be odd to have to buy a ticket to get home :lol:

Also was there ever an official release of how much (or any) money non-winning teams receive?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:17 AM »
I don't know how accurate this is but I read this

Do the losing teams get any cash prizes?
Yes, the losing teams do get small cash prizes, staggered according to how long the team stayed in the race. For some reason, these amounts are kept very secret (much more so than the Sequesterville locations), but we have heard rumors that the second-place prize for some seasons has been $25,000 or $50,000, and third place was $10,000 or $25,000.

According to Aaron of TAR6, here's the prize breakdown:
1st- 1,000,000
2nd- 25,000
3rd- 10,000
4th- 7,000
5th- 6,000
6th- 5,000
7th- 4,000
8th- 3,500
9th- 3,000
10th- 2,500
11th- 1,500

This is, however, unverified

At the top it has this so the information is very dated

(02.11.2005)
Please note, this informaion should be correct as of TAR6
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:29:03 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
Yes they get tickets home, and yes that list was valid then...but things change!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2011, 09:31:06 AM »
I would be sad if they don't still do that. :(

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
Peach, would you speculate that things change in that they don't get any money anymore or do the losers get more money now than they used to?

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
If nothing else, I do remember reading somewhere many moons ago that teams receive a stipend as compensation for time missed at work...
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
I think they all receive something, but the amounts may be different. Also specially recruited teams ie Rob and Amber, GT's etc sometimes receive another fee over and above.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
I think they all receive something, but the amounts may be different. Also specially recruited teams ie Rob and Amber, GT's etc sometimes receive another fee over and above.

I think you can add Laurence and Zac to the list. And I'm also very sure they're promised of a certain fixed amount no matter which place they come in. Yep.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »
Don't think so. :)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
Laurence and Zac not receiving a fixed amount or teams not necessarily receiving a fixed amount? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recruited teams get a promised fixed amount no matter what place they come in? The part about Laurence and Zac is completely speculation. :cmaslol

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
As I've always understood it, the per diem stipend is based on the length of time teams are away filming, and that would be a flat amount for all of the teams for a particular season. (Sorry I don't know the amount.) Then there's the staggered amount, which (as I do agree with Peach on this) may have changed, that would be based on the length of time teams remained in the Race. Additional amounts for recruited teams have been speculated, but as far as I know, those have never been confirmed.

One other point, which is relevant due to Ernie-Cindy's plan for creating a nonprofit foundation with at least some of their earnings: Teams pay their own income taxes to the federal government (and to their state if their state imposes an income tax.) If the team members donate the money to a recognized nonprofit charitable entity, even one they found if it gets the charitable exemption under the federal income tax code, then that amount is a deduction from taxable income, and the net result is a lower overall tax payment. In addition, the proportion of income taxes paid depends on the individual's other earned income and deductions for income tax computations. As a result, it's harder to project what percentage of the winnings are paid in taxes by the winning team.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
From here: http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_19543977
After taxes, the couple will be left with about $500,000
Seriously? Half of it? :cmas18

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
From here: http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_19543977
After taxes, the couple will be left with about $500,000
Seriously? Half of it? :cmas18

That would suck. Now I know why the prizes on the Aussie shows are so bad, because theres no taxes.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2011, 02:51:57 PM »
I remembered in Survivor, the taxes that Richard Hatch had to pay which he didn't was around 400k? :cmas5 Can't remember the exact figures!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »
I think I remember Jordan (of Dan & Jordan) saying after taxes they had ~$660,000... Can't remember when or where I saw that, but that number sticks out very sharply in my head.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
The point I'm trying to make is that, for instance, married winning teams pay less taxes than other teams. Teams that use their winnings in a smart way can end up paying less in taxes than other teams. And teams living in states with no personal income tax end up paying less in overall taxes than those who have to pay state and federal income taxes. Lastly, teams whose winnings were since early 2009 don't have to pay as much of the "payroll" taxes for Social Security and Medicare due to that tax credit that the Congress has been playing games with.  All those are just some of the factors that come into pay.  And if the winners somehow have their own business and have higher cost of business expenses, even that can be offset by the winnings and reduce the amount of taxes paid.

It is not a certain amount that fits in all cases.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #291 on: December 17, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
So if you donate $200,000 to charity you could recoup that in an income tax refund which may help to pay for the money you lost to taxes and you end up closer to a million dollars in the end?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »
I've also heard something about WRP having to pay them and call them "employees" for the duration. It helps to solve some legal issues I think. I wonder if you are forced to take an unpaid leave from your job for that reason and because if you take paid vacation then you don't need a stipend.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #293 on: December 17, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
Prophet, it would depend on the individual tax situation, but they would be able to claim a deduction, and if they can't deduct all of it that same year, it "carries forward" until the total amount that is donated to a qualified charitable entity (that qualify under federal tax rules) is claimed in subsequent years.

Now you know why so many people want tax reform. Even that one sentence gives some people a headache!
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
What is WRP?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

paldog123456

« Reply #295 on: December 17, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
I don't know how accurate this is but I read this

Do the losing teams get any cash prizes?
Yes, the losing teams do get small cash prizes, staggered according to how long the team stayed in the race. For some reason, these amounts are kept very secret (much more so than the Sequesterville locations), but we have heard rumors that the second-place prize for some seasons has been $25,000 or $50,000, and third place was $10,000 or $25,000.

According to Aaron of TAR6, here's the prize breakdown:
1st- 1,000,000
2nd- 25,000
3rd- 10,000
4th- 7,000
5th- 6,000
6th- 5,000
7th- 4,000
8th- 3,500
9th- 3,000
10th- 2,500
11th- 1,500

This is, however, unverified

At the top it has this so the information is very dated

(02.11.2005)
Please note, this informaion should be correct as of TAR6

This question has been raised since AR6 and my recollection (without any idea where to find it in RFF archives) is that second place was improved to $100,000 and third place to some number well above $10,000.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »
So if you donate $200,000 to charity you could recoup that in an income tax refund which may help to pay for the money you lost to taxes and you end up closer to a million dollars in the end?

Taxes differ according to individual situations, but donating $200,000 to charity means that you start with $200,000. At any marginal tax rate below 100% you end up with more money by NOT making the donation. Also, the probability of getting into a significantly lower marginal tax bracket as a result of the donation are close to nil.

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #299 on: December 19, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
A question:

On this wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_(U.S._TV_series)), in the award section, it says that the episode for the emmy in 2005 was We're Moving Up the Food Chain. Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't seem to find it in any of the seasons. :cmas5