Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161413 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2011, 02:15:13 PM »
apskip, I believe it's been pretty much determined that TPTB no longer adhere to standard 12 hour pit stops or multiples of 12 hours any longer. And recent seasons have also become difficult to ascertain the exact departure times for all legs, as we're often not even told those for all teams, and there have been legs where the departure times were only provided for some teams.
It may be possible to use the sun-shadow method for some of that but I'm not sure at this point we'd be able to cross-reference that for all teams in a season, either.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
theschnauzers,

Yes, it is known that pit stop times will vary. My estimates in fact average 20 hours when the three 24 hour extensions are added onto the base for those legs. My pit stop times will range from 8 hours to 42 hours, with a preponderance at 12 hours or 18 hours. You can throw up your hands and say it cannot be done. I just don't agree with that assessment.

The idea of using sun-shadow method is not likely to be effective (I could use a much stronger term but I will be polite) due to no sun shadows after sunset.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:57 AM »
On the season 3 cast page on CBS, there are drawings of most of the teams. Does anyone know who drew them or have the missing two (Ken & Gerard and Teri & Ian)?

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
Are teams banned from using services like Google Maps or other directional based navigation? It seems obvious when you know your next destination to print off directions at the airport, but every time we see teams instead struggling to read a map. I guess it wouldn't be much of a race if all teams had exact directions.

Do we know if this practice is banned or not?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
On the season 3 cast page on CBS, there are drawings of most of the teams. Does anyone know who drew them or have the missing two (Ken & Gerard and Teri & Ian)?

Link please?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »

Link please?
Didn't saw that too.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
Are teams banned from using services like Google Maps or other directional based navigation? It seems obvious when you know your next destination to print off directions at the airport, but every time we see teams instead struggling to read a map. I guess it wouldn't be much of a race if all teams had exact directions.

Do we know if this practice is banned or not?

I don't think using Google Maps is against the rule, since some contestants did use Internet for help during the race.

Maybe many teams didn't do so for saving money.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
I don't think using Google Maps is against the rule, since some contestants did use Internet for help during the race.

Maybe many teams didn't do so for saving money.

Sorry, I phrased my question badly. We've definitely seen teams using Google Maps before, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them print off directions to take with them in the car. Though Marcus & Amani did ask a Belgian shopkeeper in the last episode so maybe it is allowed..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2011, 10:58:24 PM »
I have never heard that it wasn't....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
I think we've seen some teams have printouts with them, but I think the editors generally try to avoid that. It does come down to cost and capacity -- with the IPad and the various other tablets and smart phones, it can be difficult to print something out. I remember noticing one team this last leg or two getting directions from a driver who used his GPS (Garmin, TomTom) to get directions for a team and he had taken the viewer off from the windshield to show the team what route to take.

So I don't think they are prohibited, per se, it just that they often already have directions (many teams do ask on their flight, train, bus if they have a destination in a city already). Since this is an activity that often has them interacting with locals, I can't see the reason for not allowing it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:59 AM »
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/cast/3/

The pictures from this list.

Thanks for the link! Nice to see all the teams picture. But they do have certain screwups. LOL at  the picture of Steve and Josh with Tian and Jaree's names.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/cast/5/

That was lazy! They just took the screenshot of the eliminated caps. They didn't even bother to find the original photo without the eliminated which leg stamp! I remembered when I was young, I used to can't wait for the elimination news to come out on the CBS website. And as a Kami and Karli fan, each and every week I'll refresh at a particular time and for a period of 9 weeks on their bio page, I was always excited when I didn't see a stamp on their photos (means they were not eliminated)..until the 10th episode... that was hard to watch. :'(

Ahhh the good old days. :lol:

I have a question! Does anyone have a link to all the leaderboards CBS used to have on their websites? I MISSED THOSE INTERACTIVE LEADERBOARDS UNTIL THEY GOT LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (:;) (:;) (:;)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
I remembered when I was young

Ahhh the good old days. :lol:

omgosh.   :wise
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
Then there's the lack of Heave for the previous season (love the comic graphics even though I wonder what Teri & Ian and Ken & Gerard would have looked like).
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »
If I remember correctly Sylvia drew one for every eliminated team in sequesterville (they may not have had decoys). Flo found out post race (likely from Drew) and insisted/begged/commissioned for one of she and Zach, hence why T/I and K/G are missing.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »
This is a question which appeared for $250,000 on today's "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?":

According to local legend, the Garden of Eden was located on the remote island of Praslin where?

A. Maldives
B. Seychelles
C. Galapagos
d. Azores

Due to Amazing Race 16, I knew that the correct answer is Seychelles. Unfortunately, the contestant was not an Amazing Race fan.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
This is a question which appeared for $250,000 on today's "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?":

According to local legend, the Garden of Eden was located on the remote island of Praslin where?

A. Maldives
B. Seychelles
C. Galapagos
d. Azores

Due to Amazing Race 16, I knew that the correct answer is Seychelles. Unfortunately, the contestant was not an Amazing Race fan.

:cmaslol
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
Has TAR been renewed for S21 and S22?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »

A. Maldives
B. Seychelles
C. Galapagos
d. Azores

I thought the Garden of Eden was in Missouri :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Has TAR been renewed for S21 and S22?
Not yet, even though Survivor has already been renewed for its 2012-2013 seasons.  CBS always waits and waits to renew TAR (and it annoys me very much, hmph.) :cmas22

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
They haven't announced a greenlight, but CBS has been promoting applications for casting for season 21 with the recent online application deadline earlier this month; that has been taken as an indication that the season is in pre-production.
-- theschnauzers