Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158908 times)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
I also hope that the producer would clarify the definition of a "double-length" leg and 2 "back-to-back" legs someday.

Look at Wikipedia, and it always seems weird that EP1 of TAR18 was a sole leg, while EP7 & EP8 of TAR-Aus were a double-length one. I can't tell any difference between them.

I honestly don't think there is much of a difference, but I think the difference is that with double-length legs, the host just acts as a route marker whereas with the other type, all the teams check in, first place gets a prize, and everyone leaves. I guess the difference is the prize.

I know that most websites ignore the first half of the double-length legs when it comes to records/averages/etc., but count the first half of back-to-back legs.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2011, 06:32:23 AM »
I also hope that the producer would clarify the definition of a "double-length" leg and 2 "back-to-back" legs someday.

Look at Wikipedia, and it always seems weird that EP1 of TAR18 was a sole leg, while EP7 & EP8 of TAR-Aus were a double-length one. I can't tell any difference between them.

I honestly don't think there is much of a difference, but I think the difference is that with double-length legs, the host just acts as a route marker whereas with the other type, all the teams check in, first place gets a prize, and everyone leaves. I guess the difference is the prize.

I know that most websites ignore the first half of the double-length legs when it comes to records/averages/etc., but count the first half of back-to-back legs.

I notice that some people think the penalty for the last team defines the back-to-back leg :js:
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Alfwin

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
Anyone knows what is the qualifications to be our on the produces of The Amazing Race?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
Anyone knows what is the qualifications to be our on the produces of The Amazing Race?
Here are the major Amazing Race executive producers and producers:
Jerry Bruckheimer - senior producers for numerous films and primetime TV series, including the CSI series
Bertram van Munster - he founded World Race Productions to market the Amazing Race concept worldwide, managing U.S. Amazing races directly and occasional spokesperson
Elise Doganieri - van Munster's wife and the actual creator of the Amazing Race concept
Jonathan Littman - producer of multiple CSI series (particularly CSI NY) and occasional spokesperson for the Amazing Race
Hayma Screech Washington - producer of some TV series
Amy Chacon - producer of some TV series

So, the answer to your question is prior experience producing TV series in the U.S. is the prerequisite for being an Amazing Race producer.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
Elise's background before TAR was in advertising, she had not been involved with television. She started off as a supervising producer in the early seasons, then became a co-executive producer, and about two years ago became an executive producer.

Phil wasn't given a supervising producer until some season into the run of TAR, and was promoted to co-executive producers beginning with TAR 19. Hayma and Amy are no longer executive producing TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alfwin

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
Thanks! And it seemed like a lot of hard work!

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
To answer the Roadblocks question, the only times I can remember Phil specifically saying that each team member is allowed to do a maximum of 6 roadblocks was in seasons 6 and 7...but other racers have mentioned it at times during the show. One example I can think of was during the limbo RB in season 7 where Amber said something to the effect of how she had to do that one because Rob had already reached the 6 roadblock limit

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
GabyM:

If a +-1 rule was in effect ( as I believe applies for almost all Amazing Races), then that would still mandate that Kimberly do that ROADBLOCK to avoid an illegal 7-5 split.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
Another question:

Has anyone ever been brought a lawsuit against because s/he had let the cat out of the bag before the show aired?

According to this websites: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/race-to-see-what-bingle-bungles/story-e6frf96x-1226085192540

Lara Bingle let on about the final results too early...

And this one: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/matt-gilbertson-ipad-may-22/story-fn6br97j-1226060196165

Tyler himself let on about the spoiler that they won in May :ascared
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:50:12 PM by SuperTux »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
I'm not aware that WRP has ever done so with original TAR, although there were issues with some betting sites in Las Vegas during the time frame of some early TAR seasons (I'm thinking 5-6-7, but I can't remember precisely at the moment).

The only U.S. program that I'm aware of that has ever brought a suit of that sort was Mark Burnett's company over Survivor a cycle of two ago involving Russell Hantz.

This doesn't mean that there might not have been cease-and-desist letters from a show's lawyers, but we rarely heard about those.
-- theschnauzers

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
When it comes to the roadblock question we now, thanks to Zev & Justin know what the rule was in TAR18. They wrote "Race Rules stated that we each needed to do 5 Roadblocks by the time the last leg rolled around".

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »
When it comes to the roadblock question we now, thanks to Zev & Justin know what the rule was in TAR18. They wrote "Race Rules stated that we each needed to do 5 Roadblocks by the time the last leg rolled around".

Yeah, but last season was the season where they had 2 roadblocks in the final leg, so that was special.

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »
Has anyone noticed any errors in post production during a particular episode? I've seen almost all the seasons, and never noticed any glaring mistakes, but just noticed two in subsequent episodes. At the start of the Leg 2 of Season 10, Tom & Terry are labelled as leaving at 7:02 PM, when in actual fact, it was probably supposed to be 10:02 PM if the other start times are assumed to be correct.

I remember in one race that the release times didn't make sense because there was a penalty with somebody and the teams that checked in before the time penalty ended should be in the same time frame, but they weren't. I THINK it may have been the Thailand legs in TAR14, but not completely sure.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:46 AM »
Is there any fans' version of TAR? If there is, have we created threads for this kind of fans' game?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
We have a whole board of nothing but Fantasy Games...have a look!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/board,108.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
In the early seasons, we'd frequently see teams exiting the airport at different times, preaumably as they cleared the customs line. But in more recent seasons, we see a mad dash to the taxi ranks with all teams. Does this mean that production actually holds up the teams until everyone has cleared customs?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:24 AM »
I think we see the dash only when all teams are on the same flight (which happens most of the time these days.) Otherwise, we're more likely not to see teams leaving customs, but elsewhere in airports looking for taxis or self-drive vehicles.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »
I think we see the dash only when all teams are on the same flight (which happens most of the time these days.) Otherwise, we're more likely not to see teams leaving customs, but elsewhere in airports looking for taxis or self-drive vehicles.

But even if all teams are on the same flight, clearing customs can take a very long time, so when we see all teams dashing at the same time, they can't all have got their passport stamps at exacty the same time can they?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
Production holds them back until all the teams are cleared. It may also be due to the need for the crews to also clear customs with their equipment, so in order to avoid penalizing a team, and complicating time credits, it becomes simpler to just hold everyone until all the teams and crews have cleared.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Production holds them back until all the teams are cleared. It may also be due to the need for the crews to also clear customs with their equipment, so in order to avoid penalizing a team, and complicating time credits, it becomes simpler to just hold everyone until all the teams and crews have cleared.

Ah i see, so I wonder why they still ask for seats at the front?

Also I dont think they did the airport bunching in earlier seasons. In 1 episode of s6 we see Gus and Hera searching the car park for a good few minutes before the another team leaves the building!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
domel, since the all-stars season, the editors have taken a less linear approach to what goes in an episode, leaving out things that they think doesn't affect what they have chosen to include in an episode.

So they might show us that teams had to find their self-drive vehicles at an airport, but they'll leave out the fact that some teams had problems finding their vehicle, unless it comes into play later on in the leg. Then it'll be shown, and that will be a cue that the time lost at that point lead to a team's delayed arrival at a later point during the same leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »

I think this may have happened in earlier seasons...but I have it on pretty good authority that it does not happen any more. Customs is just another bad taxi now, I think.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
I think this may have happened in earlier seasons...but I have it on pretty good authority that it does not happen any more. Customs is just another bad taxi now, I think.

And it was fairly evident that it did not happen in the final leg of season 15 where the brothers got a solid half hour lead out of the plane.

On the other hand if the last leg of a long flight is a domestic one then there is no immigration or customs, so the odds of a coordinated stampede out of the airport are higher.

/MaF

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2011, 02:06:30 AM »
What major last minute changes to the race route have there been over the years?

We have minor ones where Phil leaves the pit stop to eliminate someone early, but the only major ones I can think of is Nick & Vicky being saved after the detour went wrong in TAR 17, and the merging of two legs in Hungary in TAR6 when the producers realised begging was illegal.

Have there been any other last minute changes like this?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »
What major last minute changes to the race route have there been over the years?

We have minor ones where Phil leaves the pit stop to eliminate someone early, but the only major ones I can think of is Nick & Vicky being saved after the detour went wrong in TAR 17, and the merging of two legs in Hungary in TAR6 when the producers realised begging was illegal.

Have there been any other last minute changes like this?

Season 11, when teams got stranded in Mozambique to Tazania and Charla & Mirna got a mega lead over the other teams...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 06:19:25 PM by redskevin88 »