Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158877 times)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
Can a team use Express Pass on the Intersection? What'd happen then?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »
Can a team use their Express Pass to skip the Fast Forward task and go directly to the pit-stop?
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »

Maybe this is one of the reasons there has not been an Intersection in the Express Pass seasons.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

Maybe this is one of the reasons there has not been an Intersection in the Express Pass seasons.

There were two intersections in TAR Aus S1. In the first leg of it, models got the Express Pass. But they had used it before intersection occurred.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
I'm curious what the typical experience is for live sightings/spoiling for the seasons.  Though I've watched the show every season since the beginning, S18 was my first time viewing this forum, and so my first experience with live information was the excellent work done in the Australia legs for the first episodes.

I'm wondering if that level of detail was the exception rather than the rule, and the current status of information (or lack thereof) about progress with S19 is more typical.

No criticism intended of the many people doing great work to track what's going on, just wondering if I got spoiled by having last season be my first experience tuning in here!

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:14 PM »
I'm curious what the typical experience is for live sightings/spoiling for the seasons.  Though I've watched the show every season since the beginning, S18 was my first time viewing this forum, and so my first experience with live information was the excellent work done in the Australia legs for the first episodes.

I'm wondering if that level of detail was the exception rather than the rule, and the current status of information (or lack thereof) about progress with S19 is more typical.

No criticism intended of the many people doing great work to track what's going on, just wondering if I got spoiled by having last season be my first experience tuning in here!

Yes. It is very rare to get such detailed information for an entire leg, usually we only have little scraps to work with and try to piece together.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:04 AM »
lovetherace, as far as I know, leg 1 of TAR 18 was the most completely spoiled leg ever. We (and I do not mean me personally) even knew about the flight being diverted to Hawaii as it occurred.  In sum some people did some excellent work for last season's filming in both Australia and in China, and I still applaud them to this day.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:25 AM »

Yes. It is very rare to get such detailed information for an entire leg, usually we only have little scraps to work with and try to piece together.

Even in Season 18, once the teams left China (or maybe it was India), we had few reports about where the teams had gone. Reports were sketchy and subject to misleading interpretation. Kisha and Jen were seen in Switzerland, but didn't seem to be racing. There was some speculation that the teams had gone to Spain since the Cowboys were seen in the Madrid airport. A lot of the destinations didn't get settled until the season preview clips started coming out.

I haven't been here that many seasons, but I've never seen as much spoiler information as for the Australian legs. The Chinese legs after that were near the top of the list as well. This season is more typical of the last 5 or 6 seasons and might even be a little better than average.

Offline lovetherace

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses - yes, had a feeling last season was special!

Offline Alfwin

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2011, 06:46:40 AM »
When will The Amazing Race 19 start airing? :)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »

Offline Alfwin

• RFF Sr. Member

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
Is there a reason why foreign versions haven't come over to the western hemisphere? (Obviously not counting Latin America TAR and TAR Brazil.)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
It seems that there was never a penalty in the finale in every season.

Why?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
Is there a reason why foreign versions haven't come over to the western hemisphere? (Obviously not counting Latin America TAR and TAR Brazil.)

They are probably afraid of the over population of RFF TAR Detectives in America and Canada :lol3:

It seems that there was never a penalty in the finale in every season.

Why?

It would be kind of dumb for a team to lose on a penalty. The tasks are most likely designed to make one impossible.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

I know China Rush didn't do so because of trouble with passports and visas. And China Rush (especially S1) was supposed to propagate China, not just travel around the world.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »

People don't be mad at me but I think reason they haven't visited in USA and Canada is because they're not as interesting as Asian or African countries. And USA is hard to get in too! Latin America is maybe considered too dangerous  :duno: But some TAR-like shows have visited in western hemisphere like French Pekin Express and Finnish Reitti 44.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »
How many RBs could a contestant of the team perform? I thought it was 6, but in some seasons some contestants performed 7. Is it legit?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
That's been somewhat of a debate over time. I am not sure that anyone knows the actual rule if there is one.

What I do know is that no one has ever done more than 7 and that they are always allowed to do at least six. In TAR13 when there were only 9 roadblocks Andrew did 6 and Dan did 3. This seems to rule out a 50/50 rule. There have been many occasions where one member did 7 so 6 is not the absolute rule. Although it did seem that in TAR18 they attempted to force each to do 6. A +/- 1 rule would fit all of these cases as well, so maybe that is the main guideline.

(This is all from TAR7 on)

Offline Lion

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
That's been somewhat of a debate over time. I am not sure that anyone knows the actual rule if there is one.

What I do know is that no one has ever done more than 7 and that they are always allowed to do at least six. In TAR13 when there were only 9 roadblocks Andrew did 6 and Dan did 3. This seems to rule out a 50/50 rule. There have been many occasions where one member did 7 so 6 is not the absolute rule. Although it did seem that in TAR18 they attempted to force each to do 6. A +/- 1 rule would fit all of these cases as well, so maybe that is the main guideline.

(This is all from TAR7 on)

The answer is 50/50 at this point. It can change season to season just as certain rules are adjusted each year to make things more competitive. It has basically been 50/50 for sometime since Nate (I believe) did them all for his team seasons back. Sometimes during the course of the Race production will let u know how RB's are to be handled. For example, most recently a rule change has occured whereby teams who are on a self-drive task are not allowed to just hire a taxi to follow. Now teams can essentially follow each other but they cannot simply get in a car and not have to navigate to some extent. 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
The answer is 50/50 at this point. It can change season to season just as certain rules are adjusted each year to make things more competitive. It has basically been 50/50 for sometime since Nate (I believe) did them all for his team seasons back. Sometimes during the course of the Race production will let u know how RB's are to be handled.

Then what happened in TAR13? And they changed the rules after TAR5 where all the females only did one.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
heh The Bowling Mom's sure did more than1!!

I believe the correct answer is 50/50 +1....

With the caveat that FF's, and the double RB's in some finales may play a role, as does the Express Pass.

Lion is right about the new rules! We saw the non taxi following and non-ferns in 17/18...although there is some hope that Ferns may not be totally dead.

In the last season, we saw clues saying So and SO MUST do the RoadBlock...so there is clearly a rule in place. But a 7/6 split seems the most likely to allow for odd numbers.

I
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
The Bowling Mom rules basically hasn't changed, but there have been slight variations to account for the actual number of RBs, or for special leg formats in some seasons.

One way to see this is to track how teams decide, and what they are shown saying on camera (and the viewer knowing what that team's RB balance is at that moment. It's been years since Phil has described the rule on camera, but if you track the teams week by week, it's pretty clear the rule remains in place.

You have to be aware and pay attention to what teams say in reading clues, or in conversations on camera/ The editors still let us know about these things, but rarely is it Phil doing a stand-up or voice-over of the change.
-- theschnauzers

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
I also hope that the producer would clarify the definition of a "double-length" leg and 2 "back-to-back" legs someday.

Look at Wikipedia, and it always seems weird that EP1 of TAR18 was a sole leg, while EP7 & EP8 of TAR-Aus were a double-length one. I can't tell any difference between them.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Lion

• RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
heh The Bowling Mom's sure did more than1!!

I believe the correct answer is 50/50 +1....

With the caveat that FF's, and the double RB's in some finales may play a role, as does the Express Pass.

Lion is right about the new rules! We saw the non taxi following and non-ferns in 17/18...although there is some hope that Ferns may not be totally dead.

In the last season, we saw clues saying So and SO MUST do the RoadBlock...so there is clearly a rule in place. But a 7/6 split seems the most likely to allow for odd numbers.

Yes, sometimes production will just tell you which team member has to do the RB. They never want to penalize a team for one team member doing too many. But obviously with a split strategy does play part on who does what. As to TAR 13 the Race has learned as it goes. Teams find ways to manipulate the rules and then the Race follows up and finds ways to correct.