Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161436 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2225 on: July 20, 2018, 12:02:30 PM »
We need a wiki page on cancelled legs, it's such an interesting and yet forgettable topic.

Problem with that is the complete lack of online  mainstream media sources that can be cited under Wikipedia guidelines.
Might be able to do it on the TAR wiki here,but I don't know offhand what their source guidelines are.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2226 on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure Russia is fine to visit. Australia hasn't been visited since Unfinished Business and there's no conflict going on between the States and Australia. I'm simply sensing inopportune coincidence.

Actually Russia is Level 3 and Travel is NOT recommended.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/russia-travel-advisory.html

Please remember to use the US Dept of State warnings and guidelines as your basis. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2227 on: July 20, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure Russia is fine to visit. Australia hasn't been visited since Unfinished Business and there's no conflict going on between the States and Australia. I'm simply sensing inopportune coincidence.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/russia-travel-advisory.html

Please remember to use the US Dept of State warnings and guidelines as your basis. :tup:
Did not know that. :o Thanks, Peach! It seemed like yesterday the season 21 teams were in Moscow to me. Time sure flies. Hoping the conflict there will settle.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Shaynepc

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #2228 on: July 20, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »

Did not know that. :o Thanks, Peach! It seemed like yesterday the season 21 teams were in Moscow to me. Time sure flies. Hoping the conflict there will settle.

Honestly considering the amount of trouble they've run into in Russia including the aforementioned season, even if it wasn't for the travel advisory currently it would be likely production would avoid there.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2229 on: July 20, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
What trouble did they run into in Season 21?

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2230 on: July 20, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
James and Abba's belongings sans things they brought outside, was stolen by an unauthorized taxi driver, that's it. It caused a huge headache as they lost one of the passports inside the taxi.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2231 on: July 20, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
They narrowly made it back in time to stand at the finish line dealing with the embassy. With the level raised, that could be more difficult currently.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2232 on: July 20, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »
Oh, I thought it was something else like Phil got detained again or something production-related, they couldn't get permits or whatever.

Well that's too bad. The TAR China 3 Moscow Leg was great and the TARAu3 Russia Legs were good too.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2233 on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
Nah, that was Ukraine season 10.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2234 on: August 04, 2018, 12:28:10 AM »
Would TAR be any different if TAR debuted in 1980s or 1990s?

I reckon so! The editing would be different and same with the countries visited.

Interesting question. In the 80's, yes, there would be a few differences in Europe.
-Germany was East and West prior to the wall coming down in 1989
-Prior to 1991, Croatia and all its neighbouring countries were part of Yugoslavia
-Russia probably would never been an option, being the USSR also prior to 1991

Can't immediately think of examples in other parts of the world

Sorry for reviving this.

So, the Soviet Union wouldn't allow TAR to visit them?

Imagine if TAR could time travel, then we could visit the Ottoman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Chinese (Qing) Empire lol
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2235 on: August 07, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
Would TAR be any different if TAR debuted in 1980s or 1990s?

I reckon so! The editing would be different and same with the countries visited.

Interesting question. In the 80's, yes, there would be a few differences in Europe.
-Germany was East and West prior to the wall coming down in 1989
-Prior to 1991, Croatia and all its neighbouring countries were part of Yugoslavia
-Russia probably would never been an option, being the USSR also prior to 1991

Can't immediately think of examples in other parts of the world

Sorry for reviving this.

So, the Soviet Union wouldn't allow TAR to visit them?

Imagine if TAR could time travel, then we could visit the Ottoman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Chinese (Qing) Empire lol

You left out Czechoslovakia, which was part of the Warsaw Pact/ Soviet sphere ofnfluence, that also divided after the end of the Cold War. And Crypus has been divided (unofficially) into Greek and Turkish areas for decades.
-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2236 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »
"According to an interview with Wally Bransen on RFF Radio, Hurricane Emily forced producers to cancel a leg in Belize"
   -Wikipedia

Does this exist anywhere? I would love to hear it if it does (Assuming RFF stands for us?)
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2237 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:30 PM »
That was Rob's show. I'll ask if the archives are around.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2238 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:08 AM »
Actually, while I'm at it, could I please have a list of all cancelled Race destinations with a source? Not to discredit the unsourced ones or anything, but for this project I'm kindasortamaybe working on, I need ones with a source.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline TARstorian

• RFF Full Member
    • TARstorian.
« Reply #2239 on: August 26, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
Actually, while I'm at it, could I please have a list of all cancelled Race destinations with a source? Not to discredit the unsourced ones or anything, but for this project I'm kindasortamaybe working on, I need ones with a source.

Here is the "no way in hell we'll try going to Qatar again" link.

https://nypost.com/2017/05/31/amazing-race-crew-reveal-their-craziest-behind-the-scenes-tales/
I have been to 63 countries. I have met Phil Keoghan, Jon Montgomery, Allan Wu, Elise and Bertram in person. I visited Joe & Bill in Hawaii, JK & Mike in Singapore, and Rovilson in Manila. I attended the TAR 28, 29, and 34 finales.

Offline I ♥ TAR

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2240 on: August 29, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
1. In how many separated flights teams traveled from destination A to destination B? What is the record?

2. What is the record for the most flight connections took by team in their way to next destination?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2241 on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
1. In how many separated flights teams traveled from destination A to destination B? What is the record?

2. What is the record for the most flight connections took by team in their way to next destination?
I think Peggy & Claire still hold the record for most connection flights. Iguacu Falls to Sao Paulo (or Rio, I forgot) to New York to London to Cape Town. It was ridiculous, not to mention they somehow skipped original TSA at JFK Airport which made them miss their second connection flight.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2242 on: September 02, 2018, 12:37:37 AM »

I think Peggy & Claire still hold the record for most connection flights. Iguacu Falls to Sao Paulo (or Rio, I forgot) to New York to London to Cape Town. It was ridiculous, not to mention they somehow skipped original TSA at JFK Airport which made them miss their second connection flight.
As to question 1, I believe the answer is either 5 or 6. This was during the early era of the show where teams often booked their own flights. Possibly TAR 3 Cancun to Scotland perhaps?
As to question 2, again without researching, my impression is that TAR 11 may hold that record as teams had to get from Tanzania to Poland during an Islamic holy period with lots of people traveling. The answer may also involve the Uber leg in TAR 9 from South America to Moscow, then on to Germany.
-- theschnauzers

Offline teknz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2243 on: December 01, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
Can a team that wins a season return? NO SPOLIERS PLEASE

Offline teknz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2244 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
Can a team that wins a season return e.g All Stars season? NO SPOLIERS PLEASE

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2245 on: December 01, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
Yes.

Offline teknz

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2246 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
Thanks

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2247 on: December 02, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
I'm wondering if any team has gone from 11th place all the way to first in the premiere leg before.... I can't remember, if any, off the top of my head. I know there have been several instances of the other way around.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2248 on: December 02, 2018, 02:44:19 PM »
I'm wondering if any team has gone from 11th place all the way to first in the premiere leg before.... I can't remember, if any, off the top of my head. I know there have been several instances of the other way around.

I would say technically Ken & Gerard. Ken & Gerard, Derek & Drew, and Gina & Sylvia arrived at Zocalo at the same time in last place. The screen just placed last place under the three teams.

Next closest example would be the season 18 premiere, but Gary & Mallory were never in 11th place just 10th.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2249 on: December 03, 2018, 12:22:06 AM »

Tanner & Josh - last to finish the bike race; first on the mat.