Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1165406 times)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1950 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:03 PM »
Hi - just now after watching the final episode I wonder two things, and I hope some of you experts can answer them ;)

1.) Why was the winning team allowed to "Gate Check" their bags? Why is it so "secret"? What does is mean exactly, because why wouldn't all the teams do that on the final leg?

2.) How did they keep that Winning Team secret? I searched the spoiler threads after seeing it, and you only got them up to the check in to the stadium. Then they take a, I suppose pre-fixed taxi to a "secret" location and check in. Is the taxi so secret? I mean you had a drone up there! (I really researched before asking xD)
But especially this time. The location wasn't secret. I saw all the boats and spectators in the background, someone must have seen something? There were no decoy teams (this time? I read somewhere here, but - sidequestion - how do they use decoy teams?) so how do they keep that from the internet?

Thanks for your time and answers im advance =)

:hello2: and :wel2 to RFF, Emil 007!

For number 1, I think that's technically like leaving the bags elsewhere on the race course. Then they'll just retrieve it after the race, since it's the final leg. If you remember or watched TAR16, Steve & Allie accidentally left their bags in Seychelles, and raced the following leg without their bags as they were not able to retrieve it themselves. I believe that rule applies. Since Brooke & Scott didn't need their bags anymore on the final leg, they just checked them in and plan to retrieve them after the race so that they'll be running the final leg with a lighter load. Someone please correct me if ever I'm wrong.

As for number 2, I'd rather have a different forum member answer that to be safe. :)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1951 on: June 04, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »
Just wondering, would conjoined twins, if ever casted, count as 1 or 2 members of a team? ???

Also, biking seems to appear occasionally along the race. Therefore, is it a requirement for every racer to learn how to ride a bike before joining the race?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #1952 on: June 04, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
Just wondering, would conjoined twins, if ever casted, count as 1 or 2 members of a team? ???

They would be two team members but running a very serious risk of violating Roadblock rules of not being allowed to help.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1953 on: June 04, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »

They would be two team members but running a very serious risk of violating Roadblock rules of not being allowed to help.

I don't even know where to start with this one.

They would have to carry two (or one?) bags, self-drive, issue passports, book flights (one seat or two?), do two-people or more tasks, and whatever. So, the possibility of this being cast is very, very low. But anything can happen.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1954 on: June 04, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
2.) How did they keep that Winning Team secret? I searched the spoiler threads after seeing it, and you only got them up to the check in to the stadium. Then they take a, I suppose pre-fixed taxi to a "secret" location and check in. Is the taxi so secret? I mean you had a drone up there! (I really researched before asking xD)
But especially this time. The location wasn't secret. I saw all the boats and spectators in the background, someone must have seen something? There were no decoy teams (this time? I read somewhere here, but - sidequestion - how do they use decoy teams?) so how do they keep that from the internet?

Thanks for your time and answers im advance =)

As for number 2, I'd rather have a different forum member answer that to be safe. :)

I wasn't here then, but from a podcast I once heard it sounds like Season 21 was one of the last times they used "decoy teams". They had the last 2 eliminated teams (in that instance, Abbie & Ryan and Natalie & Nadiya) running around looking like they're racing in a location away from where the actual final 3 is, to divert attention.

Of course it there was no camera and sound crew with them, it's pretty obvious.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1955 on: June 10, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
Who can apply for the show? Is it only those living in the 50 states or Washington DC?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #1956 on: June 10, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »
Who can apply for the show? Is it only those living in the 50 states or Washington DC?

I assume all 50 states plus Washington D.C. According to TAR Casting Website, you just need to be a US citizen and you must have a valid US passport.

http://www.theamazingracecasting.com/Faq

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1957 on: June 10, 2017, 11:21:39 PM »
I assume so, it is the capital lol.

Checked the contestants list on WP. One person has ever been cast from DC. Christina of 12/18

Along similar lines, Brooke has previously lived in the US Virgin Islands, read that on her website when she was first ID'ed. That's like the first instance of a territory.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:25:03 PM by Maanca »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1958 on: June 11, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
I believe Brooke just lived in the Virgin Islands, but wasn't a citizen of the islands. That was my question mostly. I was wondering if, say, a person born and living in Puerto Rico could apply.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline HavaDrPepper

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1959 on: June 11, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
INA: ACT 302 - PERSONS BORN IN PUERTO RICO

Sec. 302. [8 U.S.C. 1402] All persons born in Puerto Rico on or after April 11, 1899, and prior to January 13, 1941, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, residing on January 13, 1941, in Puerto Rico or other territory over which the United States exercises rights of sovereignty and not citizens of the United States under any other Act, are hereby declared to be citizens of the United States as of January 13, 1941. All persons born in Puerto Rico on or after January 13, 1941, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, are citizens of the United States at birth.
https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9711.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1960 on: June 11, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »

I assume all 50 states plus Washington D.C. According to TAR Casting Website, you just need to be a US citizen and you must have a valid US passport.

http://www.theamazingracecasting.com/Faq

Well you just would have eliminated Sara with those rules... ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1961 on: June 11, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »
The show doesn't care WHERE you live as long as you are a US CITIZEN.

I think you all mean Sara...not Brooke.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1962 on: June 11, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
The show doesn't care WHERE you live as long as you are a US CITIZEN.

I think you all mean Sara...not Brooke.

Yes, my bad. Coincidentally, Sara mentioned that in a tweet today. I was probably thinking Brooke remembering she has a website for her legal practice.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1963 on: June 12, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
I'm in Canada and we don't have fancy overseas territories, so I don't always understand the rules.

What about American Samoa? I remember from a CGP Grey video that people from there are only "foreign nationals" of the USA, or something like that.

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1964 on: June 12, 2017, 02:12:53 AM »
I'm in Canada and we don't have fancy overseas territories, so I don't always understand the rules.

we may not have fancy overseas territories, but we do have cold, northern territories.

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #1965 on: June 12, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
^ :lol:

What about American Samoa? I remember from a CGP Grey video that people from there are only "foreign nationals" of the USA, or something like that.
Anyone born in Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands automatically becomes a citizen.

American Samoans are only citizens if one of their parents is a U.S. citizen or if they go through the naturalization process like other non-Americans to become a U.S. citizen.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1966 on: June 17, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
Is there any TAR season where everyone except the first eliminated team have been checked in Top 3 at Pit Stop?

Offline CanadianOwl

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1967 on: June 17, 2017, 07:30:37 PM »
Is there any TAR season where everyone except the first eliminated team have been checked in Top 3 at Pit Stop?
In the US version, none have, but 4, 5, and 22 are the only seasons (as far as I'm aware) where only one team hasn't been in the top 3.

4: Russell & Cindy never made it to the top 3, the rest (except Debra & Steve) did. In fact, Monica & Sheree are the only other team to not win a leg (but were 2nd on one leg). You can discredit this season however, as two other teams only had their appearance in the top 3 from the Fast Forward.

5: Bob & Joyce only made it to the top 4, the rest (apart from Dennis & Erika) made it to the top 3 at least once.

22: Idries & Jamil were never in the top 3, everyone above them did.

There might be international versions that has done this, but TAR 5 is the closest you can get in the US.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:05:43 AM by CanadianOwl »

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1968 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
Internationally, Asia 1. Though it was actually everyone except the second team out - Leg 1 was a Non-Elimination.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1969 on: June 17, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
I've checked and it seems to be TAR (new) China 2 and TAR Vietnam 4 (2015).

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1970 on: June 18, 2017, 02:05:33 AM »
I don't think there is one
But season 4 and season 5 came close by having two teams each failed to get any Top 3 placement throughout the season

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1971 on: June 18, 2017, 02:26:45 AM »
I've checked and it seems to be TAR (new) China 2 and TAR Vietnam 4 (2015).
TAR Vietnam 4 began with 3 back to back NELs, and only two teams of them (Song Ngư & Trúc Như, Ly Ly & Joo Young) not checked-in at top 2 in any legs

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1972 on: June 18, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
I don't think there is one
But season 4 and season 5 came close by having two teams each failed to get any Top 3 placement throughout the season
This happened in Seasons 18 and 22 as well. 

18 was a unique case because 11th place finishers Amanda & Kris actually finished 2nd on the first leg--It was Mel & Mike and Jaime & Cara who failed to place in the top 3 at least once during the season.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1973 on: June 20, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
Internationally, Asia 1. Though it was actually everyone except the second team out - Leg 1 was a Non-Elimination.
Asia 1, Asia was an air sponsor thus It equalized teams with each others by only one available flight in every legs except final one

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1974 on: June 22, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »
I read somewhere that Chip from Chip & Kim from TAR 5 once made a list of strongest individual TAR racers, which all 11 spots were men, with top female racer being a physical trainer. Their names please?