Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161916 times)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1675 on: January 23, 2016, 05:29:27 AM »
None that I can remember and I don't think Phil would do such a thing unless the team did something REALLY intolerable. But that would probably still be left for the edit and the team's portrayal, not such public disrespect.

On a side note, is TAR PH always partly in English? :funny: It sounds so weird, like why is it not in Filipino? :lol:

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #1676 on: January 23, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
On a side note, is TAR PH always partly in English? :funny: It sounds so weird, like why is it not in Filipino? :lol:
It's in both English and Tagalog, IIRC.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1677 on: January 23, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
It's in both English and Tagalog, IIRC.
Taglish, as it is called here. :lol: It is normal to hear someone speaking in this mixed language every day.

None that I can remember and I don't think Phil would do such a thing unless the team did something REALLY intolerable. But that would probably still be left for the edit and the team's portrayal, not such public disrespect.

Speaking of the edit, I think TAR Ph shows almost everything. ??? It seems so detailed from how I remember seeing the episodes.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #1678 on: January 24, 2016, 02:26:23 AM »
Speaking of the edit, I think TAR Ph shows almost everything. ??? It seems so detailed from how I remember seeing the episodes.

That's an interesting point. Maybe TARPH's daily format and filming weeks before airing and then editing the final weeks while the first few weeks are already airing... maybe that's one reason TARPH includes anything and everything interesting.  By contrast, TARUS specifically crafts story arcs and uses only footage they can twist and fit into the story they want to tell or focus on.  And footage that fits with the kinds of characters they want to portray the teams as.  Maybe?

How about other TARs?  Especially supersized ones like HaMerortz. What do they fill all that time with?  Are they edited like TARUS seasons? Or do they take on a more fluid kind of edit or something?

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1679 on: January 24, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »

That's an interesting point. Maybe TARPH's daily format and filming weeks before airing and then editing the final weeks while the first few weeks are already airing... maybe that's one reason TARPH includes anything and everything interesting.  By contrast, TARUS specifically crafts story arcs and uses only footage they can twist and fit into the story they want to tell or focus on.  And footage that fits with the kinds of characters they want to portray the teams as.  Maybe?

How about other TARs?  Especially supersized ones like HaMerortz. What do they fill all that time with?  Are they edited like TARUS seasons? Or do they take on a more fluid kind of edit or something?

I think it all comes down to how much time they have for each leg and if there are other things worth showing. US version is about 43 minutes per leg, Filipino version is about 70 minutes per leg, Israeli version can be anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours for one leg.

Whereas with their time the US editors try to create a storyline (albeit more episodic in recent seasons) which can cause some teams to appear single focused or cartoonish even, HaMerotz LaMillion is able to create three-dimensional characters. There aren't any "Villains" or "ROOT FOR THE INSPIRATIONAL UNDERDOG", they seem like real people. The extra time is filled with more confessionals, more of teams getting from place to place or doing tasks, teams running into weird things, more tasks and route markers in general. Despite the additional time, there actually isn't much extra interaction with the host.

It's been a while since I've watched the Norwegian or Ukrainian versions, but I think they're about the same as HaMerotz. Just not as bonkers.

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1680 on: January 26, 2016, 04:02:27 AM »
In self-driving car legs if team's car were broken down and not able to be repaired it, would they allow to change their car?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1681 on: January 26, 2016, 05:11:51 AM »
In self-driving car legs if team's car were broken down and not able to be repaired it, would they allow to change their car?
Yes, and it'll (almost?) always be replaced.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1682 on: January 29, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »
Yes, and it'll (almost?) always be replaced.
That would depend on the circumstance.

In TAR3, "Dieselgate" broke down a few teams' vehicles while driving from Lisbon, Portugal to Algeciras, Spain because it was the teams' fault for putting regular gas in a diesel engine.

In TAR12, Kynt & Vyxsin had transmission problems in Tuscany when their car went into reverse on drive and vice versa. Because it was a faulty car, they got a replacement. Same with Tian & Jaree at the TAR4 starting line when the trunk of their Mercedes wouldn't close all the way.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1683 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
Speaking of cars breaking down, has any international version(s) made an instance when they had to give a team a replacement vehicle? ???
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline bottle

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1684 on: January 29, 2016, 04:06:30 PM »
Speaking of cars breaking down, has any international version(s) made an instance when they had to give a team a replacement vehicle? ???
In Hamerotz Lamillion sisters team in season 4 was in the danger of that. They filled up the tank with gas instead of petrol they had to go to the mechanic and get all that gas out of the car and then filled it with petrol basically their car was repaired:D but no new one

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1685 on: February 01, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
In Hamerotz Lamillion sisters team in season 4 was in the danger of that. They filled up the tank with gas instead of petrol they had to go to the mechanic and get all that gas out of the car and then filled it with petrol basically their car was repaired:D but no new one
I guess that would count as a Dieselgate situation.

So as of the U.S. version, a collective list of times a vehicle had to be replaced:
TAR2 - Blake & Paige (jeep broke down)
TAR4 - Tian & Jaree (uncooperative trunk at starting line)
TAR4 - Reichen & Chip (rollover collision onto grass)
TAR7 - Brian & Greg (famous, scary LAND RollOVER collision)
TAR8 - The Godlewskis (battery drained in Suburban)
TAR12 - Kynt & Vyxsin (faulty transmission)
TAR15 - Maria & Tiffany (car wouldn't start)

Correct/add teams if I missed any. :)

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #1686 on: February 01, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
The Linz family also had their car's battery die because production used it to charge up the camera equipment; their anger wasn't shown on screen but apparently they were irate about it.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1687 on: February 02, 2016, 01:21:55 AM »

So as of the U.S. version, a collective list of times a vehicle had to be replaced:

Lynn & Alex in S7 had about 3 in Botswana
John Vito & Jill had one in Morocco

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1688 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »

TAR9: Fran & Barry's vehicle in Leg 2, in a fight for last.

Offline JoSmooth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1689 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to have been a while since a team ran really low on money during the race. Does anyone know if there has been a conscious choice to provide the teams with a bit more money each leg? And do the teams normally buy food and water during the longer legs, or do most try to save money by trying to go without until the reach the pitstop?

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it with the search function.)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #1690 on: February 02, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Not an answer to your question, but Tiffany & Krista had actually run out of money (in Argentina) and Tanner & Josh helped them by giving some of theirs. :)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1691 on: February 02, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »

TAR9: Fran & Barry's vehicle in Leg 2, in a fight for last.

TAR10 David & Mary in Mongolia.
TAR10 Rob & Kimberly twice I think?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1692 on: February 02, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
The Linz family also had their car's battery die because production used it to charge up the camera equipment; their anger wasn't shown on screen but apparently they were irate about it.
This happened more than once, I think time credits were applied.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1693 on: February 02, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems to have been a while since a team ran really low on money during the race. Does anyone know if there has been a conscious choice to provide the teams with a bit more money each leg? And do the teams normally buy food and water during the longer legs, or do most try to save money by trying to go without until the reach the pitstop?

(Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it with the search function.)

Welcome Jo! :waves:

Leg $$ are carefully calculated to allow for transport and entry expenses...but not food or water.

Racers stock up when they can, some legs include a hotel breakfast, so pockets may get filled. And during flights they are known to ask for a second meal if one was provided. But basically they are hungry all the time. Smart racers have a stash of power bars for emergencies. And cameraguys have water but aren't supposed to share...hence some heat related faints. They used to be able to accept a meal in airports etc, but I understand that may no longer be allowed.  :(
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline JoSmooth

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1694 on: February 02, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
Welcome Jo! :waves:
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!

And cameraguys have water but aren't supposed to share...hence some heat related faints.

Do you know if teams are allowed to bring their own water bottles? I can't recall seeing a team use one. Of course this would only useful in places where the tap water is drinkable.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1695 on: February 02, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
I think so...you mean a reusable one? Subject to airport screening rules of course.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1696 on: February 03, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »

The other time it happened was the Godlewski Family. Phil's on-screen narration said there were no time credits.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1697 on: February 04, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »

The other time it happened was the Godlewski Family. Phil's on-screen narration said there were no time credits.
I wonder why though. ??? Unless camera crew has a more specific set of rules, I thought any inconvenience caused by production was given time credit.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1698 on: February 13, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
KevJumba and Joey & Meghan recorded leg recaps on their Youtube pages after each episode.

Has any other team done this? Are any of the teams from TAR28 doing this?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1699 on: February 13, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Racers are live tweeting/commenting on  the show like crazy. You can check them out perhaps?
RFF's Golden Rule: