Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1165382 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1300 on: October 29, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
Pertaining to the future scheduling of TAR, if Madam Secretary happens to be "eliminated" from CBS, will The Amazing Race have a good chance of moving back to its preceding Sunday time slot if its ratings don't make the worst of the worst first? I read in this new Yahoo! article, https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/2014-shows-in-trouble-slideshow, that although Madam Secretary has a great viewership count, ratings have staggered in vision of advertisers (which TAR desirably has been known for: Travelocity, Ford, Mercedes-Benz, Snapple, Carnival Cruise Lines, etc.).
Good question, I think that TAR is a solid show but I don't think that they will move it back due to sports, and having a solid show on Friday is not always a bad thing. there are staple shows that have been on for 20+ seasons that have a consistent revenue stream, fan base, sponsors, and it keeps winning awards.... they will treat it like the old pair of jeans that people refuse to get ride of because it is just part of your personality, CBS has two stable RT show, survivor and TAR. ( lets not talk about BB)
Thanks, zerorecall! :) Just the answer I was looking for.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1301 on: November 01, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »
Sometimes a team may encounter a RB that has to be performed by a specific member in the team not due to the upper limit of RBs one contestant is allowed to perform. For example, IIRC in the first season of TAR Australia, there's a skydiving RB that must be performed by a certain member in the team Mo/Mos (I don't remember who it is) because the other one's weight exceeds the upper limit set in the safety regulations.

If such a kind of RB occurs in the latter legs and by that time the number of RBs the "supposed" performer has done has reached the maximum, what will happen then? Is it going to be that the supposed performer completes the RB anyway and then the team receives a penalty?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1302 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
I have another question as well. Here it is:

A U-turn board is set after the Detour. If Team A, falling behind, gets lost on the way to the Detour locale and just "happens" to find the U-turn board and passes it (and later this team goes back and eventually finds the Detour locale), can any other team finishing the Detour earlier than Team A uses U-turn on it?

ETA: Can Team A u-turn other teams when they see the board (and the U-turned team could be temporary #1).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:16:07 AM by SuperTux »
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1303 on: November 03, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »
Sometimes a team may encounter a RB that has to be performed by a specific member in the team not due to the upper limit of RBs one contestant is allowed to perform. For example, IIRC in the first season of TAR Australia, there's a skydiving RB that must be performed by a certain member in the team Mo/Mos (I don't remember who it is) because the other one's weight exceeds the upper limit set in the safety regulations.

If such a kind of RB occurs in the latter legs and by that time the number of RBs the "supposed" performer has done has reached the maximum, what will happen then? Is it going to be that the supposed performer completes the RB anyway and then the team receives a penalty?

It hasn't happened yet, but it's possible if production don't notice it. But if it happens, my guess is that either 1 of 2 things happen:
(1) Full-Roadblocked team member would then perform the RB, but it would count to No-Roadblocked team member. A time penalty would then be imposed on them.
(2) Team would be forced to forfeit the task and incur a penalty. Could be 4 hours for quitting or 2 hours for being unable to complete the Roadblock.

A U-turn board is set after the Detour. If Team A, falling behind, gets lost on the way to the Detour locale and just "happens" to find the U-turn board and passes it (and later this team goes back and eventually finds the Detour locale), can any other team finishing the Detour earlier than Team A uses U-turn on it?

ETA: Can Team A u-turn other teams when they see the board (and the U-turned team could be temporary #1).

A team can U-Turn any other team as long as they still have the power to do so (i.e. not have used it yet). It's all a matter of the U-Turn being effective (i.e. U-Turned team being behind and not used the Express Pass).

Even if they find the U-Turn before the Detour, Team A would still have to find & complete the Detour before being instructed to find the U-Turn board. If Team A used the U-Turn before completing the Detour, they would probably get penalized.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:24:34 AM by Karpov617 »
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1304 on: November 03, 2014, 06:02:38 AM »

Can ask Emily how it worked out for her team when they bypassed the detour.  :funny:

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1305 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »

A team can U-Turn any other team as long as they still have the power to do so (i.e. not have used it yet). It's all a matter of the U-Turn being effective (i.e. U-Turned team being behind and not used the Express Pass).

Even if they find the U-Turn before the Detour, Team A would still have to find & complete the Detour before being instructed to find the U-Turn board. If Team A used the U-Turn before completing the Detour, they would probably get penalized.

Thanks for the reply, but then I'm questioning the legitimacy for a U-Turned team to exercise the right of U-Turn before they perform the other Detour. Shouldn't the U-Turned team be regarded as not having finished the Detour by that time? If so, such a team can legitimately U-Turn another team ONLY after the team itself completes both Detours. ???
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1306 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply, but then I'm questioning the legitimacy for a U-Turned team to exercise the right of U-Turn before they perform the other Detour. Shouldn't the U-Turned team be regarded as not having finished the Detour by that time? If so, such a team can legitimately U-Turn another team ONLY after the team itself completes both Detours. ???

It's probably because the U-Turn instructs a team to complete the other Detour, with the implication that the team already finished a Detour. That's why the Express Pass lets the team that used it on the Detour skip the U-Turn since, technically, they didn't finish any Detour.

It's also shown on other versions that they could skip the U-Turn board if they want once they complete both sides of the Detour. And the reason why teams on the US version visit the U-Turn board again after completing both Detours is because their next clue is right beside the U-Turn board.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:00:03 PM by Karpov617 »
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1307 on: November 03, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »
Yeah, could be  :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1308 on: November 09, 2014, 09:00:28 AM »
Would you barter an Express Pass for a Save? (or vice versa)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1309 on: November 10, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »
Would you barter an Express Pass for a Save? (or vice versa)

If it's me, I'll be loyal to the pass that I'll be getting. :lol: I don't wanna regret something because I exchanged it away.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1310 on: November 11, 2014, 12:47:38 PM »
Everything on the race has a road-themed name (Detour, Roadblock, etc) except for the Fast Forward. What would you rename the FF to make it fit in better?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #1311 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »
Everything on the race has a road-themed name (Detour, Roadblock, etc) except for the Fast Forward. What would you rename the FF to make it fit in better?

Not much thought put into this, but how about Short Cut?  :lol:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1312 on: November 12, 2014, 12:31:25 AM »
Everything on the race has a road-themed name (Detour, Roadblock, etc) except for the Fast Forward.

Except for Salvage Pass, Express Pass, Switchback, the Save and the Handicap (in the Norwegian edition) as well.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1313 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
Everything on the race has a road-themed name (Detour, Roadblock, etc) except for the Fast Forward.

Except for Salvage Pass, Express Pass, Switchback, the Save and the Handicap (in the Norwegian edition) as well.

Isn't the E-Pass (for toll gates) close to the express pass? ???

What good twist would be great for the term stoplight?

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1314 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:01 AM »

How about for the terms 'junction' or 'terminus'? :)

Switchback is also a road term, also know as a 'hairpin turn': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpin_turn.

Actually, if I could rename some things, I would change 'Fast Forward' to 'Freeway'. A freeway is a type of highway that's designed for high-speed traffic, which is very similar to the Fast Forward in terms of speeding a team up. Though it doesn't have the same ring into it, at least it's in theme. :)

I would imagine that a Spotlight would be similar to the other versions' Double Battle (one team would proceed - green, while the other stops - red).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:54:47 AM by Karpov617 »
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1315 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »

How about for the terms 'junction' or 'terminus'? :)

Switchback is also a road term, also know as a 'hairpin turn': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpin_turn.

Actually, if I could rename some things, I would change 'Fast Forward' to 'Freeway'. A freeway is a type of highway that's designed for high-speed traffic, which is very similar to the Fast Forward in terms of speeding a team up. Though it doesn't have the same ring into it, at least it's in theme. :)

I would imagine that a Spotlight would be similar to the other versions' Double Battle (one team would proceed - green, while the other stops - red).

Maybe the junction has 2 sets of clues, leading to 2 different tasks, and then 2 different pit stops, which will need help from an additional co-host.

The thing about this idea is it's a big hassle. I wouldn't want to do this either since it will be confusing.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1316 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »

Fast LANE.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1317 on: November 12, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

Fast Forward - Green Light?

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1318 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
I think Fast Forward is the best sounding name it could be given tbh

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #1319 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
I think Fast Forward is the best sounding name it could be given tbh
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1320 on: November 14, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1321 on: November 14, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
Another questions:

How many tasks could there be in one leg? Any record for one  leg in a season in any edition to have most tasks? (A double-leg is regarded as 2 legs here.)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1322 on: November 14, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
The leg with the most tasks is probably the first Las Vegas leg in TAR Israel 3
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #1323 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.

1) The Amazing Race Australia, Season 1 had this exact issue. Chris & Anastasia opted to quit the log sawing Intersection in Poland because Anastasia could not physically do it, and they got the full 4 hour penalty. Sam & Renae, the team they were intersected with, were forced to give up because Anastasia was necessary to complete the task. However, they only got a 2 hour penalty because 1) they were forced, and 2) they already successfully cut one log piece.

The closest one that I can think of right now for the similar case is Dustin & Kandice, who had a 12+ hour lead on Eric & Danielle and Joe & Bill in the Warsaw leg of TAR11, being forced to wait 4 hours for another team to pair up with because they were the third team to arrive in the Intersection board (after being equalized with Oswald & Danny and Uchenna & Joyce via a bus to Auschwitz.). The next leg had flight equalizers anyways, so it didn't affect them much.

2) I'm not sure about this one.

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #1324 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
The leg with the most tasks is probably the first Las Vegas leg in TAR Israel 3

Didn't that leg have around 10 tasks? I'm pretty sure that's the most we can get.