The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

Amazing Race Questions

<< < (157/524) > >>

georgiapeach:
For the team. They need to draw straws later, lol.

theschnauzers:

--- Quote from: Best Loser on March 28, 2013, 09:19:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: RaceUntilWeDie on March 28, 2013, 06:37:23 PM ---What I don't understand is why TAR 14's double-length leg isn't counted as 2 legs?

--- End quote ---
There's a variety of definitions people use for distinguishing legs like this.

One way to split is to separate when there's a "To Be Continued". This started on Season 6, but teams didn't visit Phil at this point- the episode just ended with teams still racing, waiting for a shop to open. In the next season a clue sent racers to Phil, where he said "The leg is not over, here is your next clue!" (a double-length leg). Season 10 had something else funky, in that teams were never told to go to a pitstop or see Phil, they just opened a clue that said "You're still racing!!!!!", and I always thought that was kind of strange. I believe Season 18 (Unfinished Business) was the first "To be continued" for Phil to say something like "Your next leg begins now, here's your next clue!" (a zero-hour pitstop in the middle of two legs).

Another point is if they got a prize. Before Season 18 teams didn't receive a prize for showing up first at these locations, making it more obvious that it is the midpoint of two separate legs. However, Jamie & Cara actually did in fact win a prize, but it wasn't shown, but then again Phil said that the leg wasn't over. 

For his handy list of team average placements, I'm pretty sure theschnauzers counts any visit to Phil as a separate leg, and he might also count Seasons 6 and 10 as two legs despite teams not ever meeting Phil at a midpoint. For my list of average placements, the way I separate legs is if Phil says that it's two legs rather than a continuation of a leg. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the show did it, if it even cares about that.

Honestly, TAR14 is more like the recent TBCs and should probably be counted as two separate legs, but because it was the first to be like that the show just used the old jargon. I probably gave a lot of mostly unneeded info, and I probably didn't even answer your question.

--- End quote ---

I treat each half of a "double" leg as a separate leg for averaging purposes in order to have each season treated equally especially during seasons 1-12, when the normal length was 13 legs. Subsequent seasons with the variations that the show has been using, with 12 legs or equivalents in every season since season 14 has been similarly treated. Only season 13 had 11 legs, and that was due to the scheduling in that particular spring cycle (as there was one fewer Sunday available before the end of the May "ratings sweep" period and the overall September to May annual ratings cycle.

I haven't had any problem in my mind as to when an extended or continuous racing takes place and where the legs are separated.

(Not that it matters, but the folks at Wiki finally ended up agreeing with this approach for the early seasons. Since it was possible from the information broadcast to determine the order of arrival at the "midpoint" whatever it was with or without Phil being there, the treatment is consistent. The overnight camping we've seen in early seasons and in season 8 were not leg midpoints; teams departed at pre-set intervals that were not always determined by the time of arrival at that point.)

I don't know if that helps or not, but if you go to the original ranking all of the teams by placement average thread, you'll see that this was discussed when I first posted it here at RFF.

RaceUntilWeDie:
Just re-watched the TAR 14 episode. Phil did say "This leg is not over." How did I miss that?!

Haha, thanks guys!

Best Loser:

--- Quote from: theschnauzers on March 29, 2013, 01:36:17 AM ---(Not that it matters, but the folks at Wiki finally ended up agreeing with this approach for the early seasons. Since it was possible from the information broadcast to determine the order of arrival at the "midpoint" whatever it was with or without Phil being there, the treatment is consistent. The overnight camping we've seen in early seasons and in season 8 were not leg midpoints; teams departed at pre-set intervals that were not always determined by the time of arrival at that point.)

--- End quote ---

What!? Really!? I leave for a month and everything changes. Although honestly, the entire reason I went with the way I did is because the wiki was like that, and I knew that it would take a lot of time to change everything on the site. I guess I better edit my list.

theschnauzers:
The Wiki folks use two columns of placements for the double-length leg. The only nit-pick I have is their attempt to list a midpoint placement on the final leg of season 8. They show a mid-leg placement but do not explain where they consider the midpoint. Prior discussion here reached the conclusion that depending on what exact task was chosen (arrival at Montreal Olympic Stadium) to start a task to search and find a clue with a release time the following morning, the order of completing that task, or the time each time found) would come up with three different placement orders at those point. The show never made clear which was the actual midpoint, and I decided that, consistent with the earliest seasons camping out overnight during the final leg, that task could not be considered a midpoint of a double leg.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version