Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158857 times)

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #575 on: September 11, 2012, 03:31:01 AM »
Thanks for your replies! :)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
If the clue requires the team to take a taxi to somewhere but contestants decide to take the subway (or even walk) instead due to shortage of money, will it incur a penalty?

During Leg 10 of TAR13, Toni & Dallas took the Moscow subway instead of a taxi to their next clue. Instead of getting a Pit Stop penalty, however, they were immediately told by the woman handing out clues to return to the Roadblock location and take a taxi back to her.

The inherent problem with that enforcement of rules is that Toni and Dallas were using alternate transportation because they had lost all their money when Dallas inadvertently in a taxi did so and they had no money for a taxi. it was hard enough for them to beg money for public transportation.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #577 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
If the clue requires the team to take a taxi to somewhere but contestants decide to take the subway (or even walk) instead due to shortage of money, will it incur a penalty?

During Leg 10 of TAR13, Toni & Dallas took the Moscow subway instead of a taxi to their next clue. Instead of getting a Pit Stop penalty, however, they were immediately told by the woman handing out clues to return to the Roadblock location and take a taxi back to her.
The inherent problem with that enforcement of rules is that Toni and Dallas were using alternate transportation because they had lost all their money when Dallas inadvertently in a taxi did so and they had no money for a taxi. it was hard enough for them to beg money for public transportation.

And they had already lost their passports (while I think Dallas lost his or did he lose Toni's as well), and so they were effectively already out of the race.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #578 on: September 18, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »
The obverse also has happened, and resulted in a penalty of 30 minute plus the time saved in the Lisbon leg of TAR 3; when Heather and Eve received a route marker at the end of a soccer penalty kick roadblock that directed them to the pit stop on foot. They got a cab, and realized, on camera, that the directions told them to go on foot. They arrived first at the mat, and after the last team checked in they were shown on camera with Phil and Phil explained their violation and the definition in the Rule book. Because all of the other teams checked in within a half hour after they had arrived, their check in time was adjusted for the penalty, and they were eliminated.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #579 on: September 18, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
Was the penalty for not completing the detour a 12 hour penalty for each side? And is it still that way, just with 3 hours rather than 12?

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #580 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
Was the penalty for not completing the detour a 12 hour penalty for each side? And is it still that way, just with 3 hours rather than 12?

wayyy back in s1 if you skipped a detour it was 24 hours ie Nancy and Emily (because u skipped both sides) (it is impossible to not do one but not the other) however it changed in s17 where its 6hrs.. i.e. Nick and Vicki as far as we know thats how it remains

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »
There's never been a detour penalty "for each side" and I'm not sure how you got that; it was 24 hours in season one, with some references to the same penalty in some subsequent early seasons; and at some point, it was reduced to six hours. (None of this 3 for each side business.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Tarfan37

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #582 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
i think this user is trying to ask the penalty for skipping the uturn... would the penalty still be 6hrs since its a detour? (if thats now what he's asking i would like to kno that)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #583 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
There's never been a detour penalty "for each side" and I'm not sure how you got that; it was 24 hours in season one, with some references to the same penalty in some subsequent early seasons; and at some point, it was reduced to six hours. (None of this 3 for each side business.)
It was from some interview with Maria & Tiffany. Or maybe it wasn't, I didn't actually check what the link was to. It was just at a non-TAR related forum, and someone posted a video link, and then people started talking about what the girls were saying. It was a really large thread, so I'd rather not take the time to hunt the link down again, so I guess just ignore me.

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #584 on: September 21, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
I have a queston

How much money does a team win (after taxes and ect)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #585 on: September 25, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »
I think that might have been answered earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure how many pages back it was.

I recently rewatched Season 3, and at the final Roadblock (animal memory task) each person was given notes. Anyone know what was on that?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #586 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »
The teams are paid pre-tax, they're responsible for paying federak (and state, if any) income taxes themselves.

How much they pay depends on their "marginal" tax rate and what the tax rates are in their state of residence. That varies from state to state, and some states don't assess personal income taxes. The effective federal rate depends on the individual's other income and deductions, and that makes it difficult to give a precise answer.
-- theschnauzers

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #587 on: October 03, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
I hope...well...forever, but really, how many years do you think this will keep on keeping on?

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #588 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
It will never end, because eventually its a race around the universe (sadly, people would complain about how the race ALWAYS visits Mars :lol:).

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #589 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
It better never end.
It will never end, because eventually its a race around the universe.
Nice i heard phil talk about going to mars on season 50,if that gets your hopes up.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
I would have trouble remembering all the team names.  :stare

Offline gigglypiggies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
Another question, can you find application videos of accepted teams anywhere online? Not necessarily just from this season, but just in general. I'd be interested in watching them.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #592 on: October 04, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Search YouTube... I know Zev & Justin's is there, and maybe a couple others.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #593 on: October 04, 2012, 06:03:31 PM »
Another question, can you find application videos of accepted teams anywhere online? Not necessarily just from this season, but just in general. I'd be interested in watching them.
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,27048.0.html

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #594 on: October 06, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
I have another question. Which was the shortest leg in the history of TAR? I mean one leg from Pit Stop to Pit Stop. Does it take only few hours? I heard the second leg in India from TAR 13 was a really short leg?
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #595 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Theodorus:

The leg you suggested is AR13, Ep. 7. Here are its major tasks (not in order):

DETOUR-follow a series of power lines, keeping mark of numbered tags hanging from power lines in Nai Sarak Street, report these numbers to
power company official, plugged in musical Ganesh statue to receive next clue in New India Stationers in Chawri Bazar or find store
named Ram Bhandar in spice market, transport 40-pound bags of chili peppers to location 1/4 mile away in Shwan Kumar and Sons,
 then grind them into chili powder with mortar and pestle to receive next clue
ROADBLOCK-find envelope marked "The Amazing Race" among several marked "Try Again" raised on ladders amongst celebrators of Holi, Festival of colours, while being bombarded with traditional colored dyes and water
GENERAL-Speed Bump task required Ken & Tina to serve holy water to hundreds of Sikhs at Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib (at site in Chandni Chowk
area of Old Delhi) until they satisfied waiting crowd

I have looked at other very short legs, but when the beginning transportation is factored in they can become very long legs. So I think that transportation is a key part. The double legs in the same city avoid that issue. Here are one worth considering:

AR12, Ep. 4 Burkina Faso near Ouagadougou
DETOUR-use traditional methods to pan for 1 ounce of gold; they can trade their gold after weighing, at nearby tent, for next clue or learn traditional local dance, perform it in front of 3 local celebrity judges, crowd of locals; teams must some of own their own dance moves; lack of creativity or bad performance will incur teams 10 minute penalty
ROADBLOCK-ride bicycle, deliver large amount of cumbersome goods, including small goat; deliver items to specific people stated in clue at nearby market
GENERAL-look for village chief, accept gift of live chicken from him, which they then had to take throughout the leg to Pit Stop

I also looked at several other double legs/same city to see if the second one was particularly short. I did not find out additional one beyond the one above.

This is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" judgments, as we do not have access to any filming duration information from World Race Productions.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:57:18 PM by apskip »

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
Thank you, apskip :hugs:

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #597 on: October 15, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

P.S. Beware the word "official" here, so
Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #598 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
Is there any team that voluntarily left the race not due to official reasons such as bad physical condition or knowing they were far behind the others? I know Summer & Eachan from CR2 are one example, who left the game because Eachan's grandfather was dying (if I'm not wrong). Just wanna know if there're other examples.

P.S. Beware the word "official" here, so
Show content
Xiao Bing & Xiao Bang
from CR3 are not counted in because they did not "officially" volunteer to leave the race, although the real reason hasn't been disclosed/verified.

Marshall & Lance in TAR5, leg 6 (Egypt).  They arrived in seventh place to the RB at the Habu Temple, after all the teams completed it; so they realized they were in last.  Also, one of them - I don't remember which one - had a leg injury that made him unable to keep racing.  As a matter of fact, this was the first time Phil eliminated a team on the ground and not at the PitStop.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #599 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »
How do teams apply for visa? I read somewhere that they were given list of countries by production team, and they were instructed to apply for visa from all the countries. Is that true?