Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158901 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Well, I don't think this is possible unless a team completed both sides of the Detour in every leg.

If you are not including that, then I fail to understand the question. The answer would be every attendee of the finale who never Fast Forwarded. Also excluding teams that did are not known to have completed all the task in the final leg before checking in to the Finish Line.

I don't think it is possible for any team to meet the standard posed by the original question. The Fast Forward changed after season 4; and even then, by my personal review and count, only about half of the early Fast Forwards were actually taken, and although a lot less frequent since then, the Fast Forward still wasn't taken about half the time.

Then there are the detours (where as noted, only a few teams who were U-Turned have had to do both detour tasks on selected legs), but even then, the U-Turn wasn't always used.

I think the proffered response (that this is an impossibility) is the correct answer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:42:30 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
Andrew & Dan of Season 13 completed every Roadblock and one Detour option each leg, but that's as close as your going to get, as far as I can recall.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Rogos12

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
Wow out of all the teams to ever do the AR I would never have thought Andrew and Dan would have done the most tasks in the shows history....kind of a better team then people give them credit for. I swear there has to be at least one other team to duplicate the same feat.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Wow out of all the teams to ever do the AR I would never have thought Andrew and Dan would have done the most tasks in the shows history....kind of a better team then people give them credit for. I swear there has to be at least one other team to duplicate the same feat.

Jet & Cord completed every Roadblock, at least one Detour on every leg and a Speed Bump as well.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
Coutzy, interesting point since no team that made the final has completed each Speed Bump so it is still no one.

I still fail to understand why Andrew and Dan are the supposed only team to complete every task. Am I missing something? Every team that has gone to the final (that didn't fast forward) is in the same state as Dandrew and the cowboys and whoever else.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »

I still fail to understand why Andrew and Dan are the supposed only team to complete every task. Am I missing something? Every team that has gone to the final (that didn't fast forward) is in the same state as Dandrew and the cowboys and whoever else.

Actually this is not true. If they didn't FF then they did not do that task.

It is impossible to complete every task of the Race. A team would have to complete both sides of each Detour, the Fast Forwards and the tasks on those legs, and all the Speed Bumps. If you leave all of this out then every attendee of the final who did not Fast Forward is the same. Having done one Detour task, the RB, and other tasks on each leg.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
Then you have people like Joe/Bill, TAR1 and Jeff/Dave, TAR4 that got stopped out in the field on the Final leg. Joe and Bill did the FF in Thailand, but I dont remember about Jeff/Dave but in those days, they probably did a FF too.I would think all the TAR1-4 Final 3 teams did a FF, but not sure.

I would think that Sam/Dan and Erika/??? in TAR 15 were the same as DanDrew...as was the Cowboys and Caite/Brent in TAR 16 and Brooke/Claire in TAR17. Also Jamie/Cara and Margie/Luke in TAR14......I dont remember either of them doing a FF.

There just wont be any team to fit the orginal query.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
Then you have people like Joe/Bill, TAR1 and Jeff/Dave, TAR4 that got stopped out in the field on the Final leg. Joe and Bill did the FF in Thailand, but I dont remember about Jeff/Dave but in those days, they probably did a FF too.I would think all the TAR1-4 Final 3 teams did a FF, but not sure.

I would think that Sam/Dan and Erika/??? in TAR 15 were the same as DanDrew...as was the Cowboys and Caite/Brent in TAR 16 and Brooke/Claire in TAR17. Also Jamie/Cara and Margie/Luke in TAR14......I dont remember either of them doing a FF.

There just wont be any team to fit the orginal query.

Brian and Ericka, Doc.
No, I don't recall any of those teams doing Fast Forwards.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Obviously Andrew & Dan weren't the only ones to come close to finishing every task... I just specifically remember Andrew & Dan being very proud of the fact that they were the only team that season to do every Detour and Roadblock, as Ken & Tina and Nick & Starr both FF'ed.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
Dave and Jeff did do a Fast Forward. [Wiki indicates they took it on Leg 11 (of 13), the last leg where a FF was available under the original FF rules.]

The answer is that it is impossible under the rules used from season 1 through 17 to have completed every task.Even if one asked if there was a team that attempted every task, the answer would still be that it has been impossible.

The introduction of the Express Pass adds yet another wrinkle permitting teams to skip a task, as the Fast Forward permitted, but that still does not permit a team to have completed every task.

-- theschnauzers

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
Are producers trying to kill contestants, because the Mud detour looked very difficult to accomplish??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
I think this season, they were out to challenge the contestants to the max....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
Is anyone able to provide decent quality screencaps of past greeters? I'm thinking of including pics in a large timeline file I'm working on, but I'm stuck with low-quality JPG versions of low-quality saved Youtube vids.

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
Has anyone noticed any errors in post production during a particular episode? I've seen almost all the seasons, and never noticed any glaring mistakes,

I just saw a pretty glaring one in season 3 episode 9:

Somebody needs a geography lesson.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
Oh that IS funny! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
Has anyone noticed any errors in post production during a particular episode? I've seen almost all the seasons, and never noticed any glaring mistakes.

This one is small mistake, but in season 10 in Finland episode, Tytyri mine was called Tytyrin mine in all titles and subtitles of the episode and Phil also says Tytyrin. I understand where the mistake comes from: Tytyri mine is "Tytyrin kaivos" in Finnish which means Tytyri's mine or Tytyri mine. Just small mistake but as a Finnish person it annoys me  :snicker: (well, the racers' pronunciation of Lohja and Tampere annoys me more :P)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:43:24 PM by inomu »

Offline crystiluv

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • Go Gary and Mallory!
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
The longest known Pit Stop occurred during the first US season when production was forced to relocate the Pit Stop in Tunisia due to a sandstorm. This was the first instance of a "mobile pit stop", which also appeared in Seasons 15, 16, and 18 where teams have been transported to another location during the pit stop, without any knowledge of their final destination.

Found that on Wikipedia... idk if it's true or not. Does anybody have any information on that??

Go Gary and Mallory! Go Gary and Mallory! Go Gary and Mallory! Go Gary and Mallory! Go Gary and Mallory!
Amazing Race is Amazing. Ever noticed?

Gary/Mallory & Jet/Cord for TAR 18.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
:welcome: to RFF!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
The longest known Pit Stop occurred during the first US season when production was forced to relocate the Pit Stop in Tunisia due to a sandstorm. This was the first instance of a "mobile pit stop", which also appeared in Seasons 15, 16, and 18 where teams have been transported to another location during the pit stop, without any knowledge of their final destination.

Found that on Wikipedia... idk if it's true or not. Does anybody have any information on that??

The article is referring to the Pit Stop of TAR 1.5, which had teams check in at Ksar Ghilane in the Sahara. Phil did a voice-over at the beginning of the next episode saying that teams were moved because of an impending sandstorm, and that they would be released at Gabes, the nearest big city. Unlike future "mobile Pit Stops", this one was not anticipated by the producers. I'm not exactly certain how long this was, was it a 36h or a 60h Pit Stop?

Other instances of teams beginning in a different city from where they finished:
TAR 3.9: Teams checked in onto the Savoie docked at Montreux, and during the Pit Stop the ship sailed to Lausanne along the coast of Lake Geneva.
TAR 15.2: Teams checked in onto the Bassac III docked at the market at Cai Be, and during the Pit Stop the boat sailed to My Tho along the Mekong Delta.
TAR 16.5: Teams checked in at Hamburg, spent a night at a local hotel, then travelled the following night by bus to Les Monthairons in France. Teams in this case did not know their destination.
TAR 18.2: Teams checked in at Broken Hill, then travelled that very night by train to Sydney. It's likely teams knew where they were going in this situation.

And of course, there are plenty of instances (especially in more recent races) where the Pit Stop mat has been moved around town in between Pit Stop and Pit Start, usually to in front of the production hotel. Examples in TAR 17 alone include Doryumu, Hong Kong and St Petersburg.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Neobie, according to the timelines that were create for TAR 1 after that season aired (with information from the Racers that season) the longest pit stop appears to have been the Bikaner pit stop in India leg 2:
Day 16 (3/23): Danza arrives just predawn. Everyone else gets in early or mid-morning, market Roadblock, cab travel, check-in at Taj Khema pit stop from early evening onward [Lenny/Karyn eliminated].

Day 17 (3/24): Extra day at Taj Khema Hotel (per Brennan).

Day 18 (3/25): Leg 8: Taj Mahal, bus or taxi to Jaipur, Palace of the Winds, elephant or rowboat Detour to Holy Men, trains overnight to Bikaner.

Day 19 (3/26): Deshnoke (rat) Temple Roadblock at night or early morning, check-in early or late morning at Laxmi Niwas Palace (hotel) pit stop, Bikaner [non-elimination].

Day 20 (3/27): According to Nancy and others, extra 48 hrs at palace.

Day 21 (3/28): Leg 9: Departure afternoon or evening for Delhi airport, by bus or train.

This followed extended pit stops at the end of the second leg in Paris due to illness among the cast and crew (24 hours); and after the first India leg (extra 24 hours). IIRC the pit stop release in Gabes was extended more than 12 but less than 24 hours:

Day 11 (3/18): Leg 5: Predawn departures for Tatouine. Walkie-talkie Detour at Ksar Hadada. Desert driving, 2-3 hours, camel ride Roadblock. Check-in starting midafternoon at Ksar Ghilane (oasis) pit stop [Paul/Amie eliminated].

Day 12 (3/19): Evacuated to village (Gabes), Leg 6 departures starting soon after midnight. Taxis back to Tunis, hotel. Extra 24 hours at hotel (per Guido, airport difficulties).

Day 13 (3/20): To Tunis airport. Flights out through afternoon and evening, connections from Lyons or London or Geneva (or not), arrival in Rome...

-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
My favorite example of a relocated (but not moving) pit stop is AR11 All-Stars, where very disruptive flight delays put some teams 2 days behind Charla/Mirna. It has been hypothesized that the original pit stop was on the Tanzanian mainland at Arusha, where a major international airport exists. However, the leg had to be shortened, so Phil was brought back to StoneTown on Zanzibar Island. 

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
Neobie, according to the timelines that were create for TAR 1 after that season aired (with information from the Racers that season) the longest pit stop appears to have been the Bikaner pit stop in India leg 2:

That's interesting. I thought all the pit stops were 12 hours (apart from the sandstorm thingy).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:32 AM »

That's interesting. I thought all the pit stops were 12 hours (apart from the sandstorm thingy).

In the early seasons, if a pit stop was extended, it was extended in multiples of 24 hours so that the departure time would be the same time of day as a 12 hour rest period, with any announced adjustments for penalties or production credits. The extended pit stops were usually never announced in the episode.

It was possible to detect extended pitstops through the footage of teams eating, sleeping and mingloing (ESM), as in a nighttime shot of the teams eating when they checked in at early morning and departed before sunset, or a daytime ESM when teams checked in while it was dark out, and departed before sunrise. Once you knew what to look for, it became fairly easy to detect.

Then every so often there would be some film showing the actual date. After a while we could infer the extended pit stops, and get verification from Racers once the season was over.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:17:20 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
I have watched every season and now I am rewatching them. Can anyone recommend any other reality tv shows? Are any of the other versions of the amazing race any good? Thanks for the help.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
I have really enjoyed watching TAR Asia and TAR China Rush.  I haven't really seen any of the other versions.