Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161468 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2450 on: June 01, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »
Has a leg ever been seriously impacted, delayed, or downright cancelled and replaced due to inclement weather?

I'm not talking about stuff like wind making it so Jason & Amy couldn't do the fast forward in Vienna. Has it ever been raining or snowing so hard teams couldn't get flights in and/or production had to scrap planned tasks? I'm watching S28 and noticed it raining during the Shenzhen leg and made me think how TAR seems to have remarkably good weather most of the time.

S24 had legs moved from The Philippines moved to Malaysia/Sri Lanka due to flooding
S19 had Thailand 2 replace a leg in Laos sue to landslides

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2451 on: June 02, 2020, 12:08:23 AM »
TAR 8 had a leg that was cancelled because of a hurricane.
TAR 1 had a leg that was delayed by a Tunisian sandstorm.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #2452 on: June 02, 2020, 12:13:51 AM »
From the previous answers, I come up with a new question. Does the production always have a backup plan or two for a whole leg, just in case that they're unable to race there? I mean, how can they plan the whole logistics of a whole leg to another location if something happen so sudden?

I don't know if they can predict the Laos' landslide or the flooding in Philippines if they're already filming. :duno:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2453 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
Production has backup legs planned and ready to implement on very short notice. TAR 11 in Africa made a last minute substitution because it proved impossible to get teams to an inland pit stop in Tanzania, following a series of flight delays, and over bookings in the midst of the Hajji from African countries to Saudi Arabia. This is shown by the initial 24 hour plus lead one team had to reach a port/dock to the island of Zanzibar.
I know there were others but that’s one which is pretty apparent.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Stone

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2454 on: June 02, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
From the previous answers, I come up with a new question. Does the production always have a backup plan or two for a whole leg, just in case that they're unable to race there? I mean, how can they plan the whole logistics of a whole leg to another location if something happen so sudden?

I don't know if they can predict the Laos' landslide or the flooding in Philippines if they're already filming. :duno:

I wonder if TAR US uses past legs from international versions when this happens for reference. One of the Malaysian legs in S24 has a lot of tasks lifted from a leg in TAR Asia. Given the leg was likely a makeup for the Philippines flooding it made me make this connection. I stumbled upon it when designing my quarantine TAR legs in Malaysia and had just seen S24 a few days earlier.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2455 on: June 02, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »

I wonder if TAR US uses past legs from international versions when this happens for reference. One of the Malaysian legs in S24 has a lot of tasks lifted from a leg in TAR Asia. Given the leg was likely a makeup for the Philippines flooding it made me make this connection. I stumbled upon it when designing my quarantine TAR legs in Malaysia and had just seen S24 a few days earlier.

Sri Lanka was also planned for one leg, and the RB was a recycled task from TARASIA

Offline Stone

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2456 on: June 02, 2020, 06:12:32 PM »

Sri Lanka was also planned for one leg, and the RB was a recycled task from TARASIA

Was Italy only planned for one leg as well? The second leg in Italy in S24 is maybe one of the best of the season but the previous leg in Rome reeks of being a makeup leg.

Like they’d planned for teams to fly into Rome anyways so why not have a makeup leg there. Most of the tasks in Rome didn’t even require pre planning ie “Count the Spanish Steps”

Not only did they have to makeup for the Philippines legs but I’d heard before that they had double legs in an African country cancelled that season too. Hence replacing them with a Sri Lanka and Rome leg turning those countries into double legs.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2457 on: June 02, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

Was Italy only planned for one leg as well? The second leg in Italy in S24 is maybe one of the best of the season but the previous leg in Rome reeks of being a makeup leg.

Like they’d planned for teams to fly into Rome anyways so why not have a makeup leg there. Most of the tasks in Rome didn’t even require pre planning ie “Count the Spanish Steps”

Not only did they have to makeup for the Philippines legs but I’d heard before that they had double legs in an African country cancelled that season too. Hence replacing them with a Sri Lanka and Rome leg turning those countries into double legs.

Not sure about Rome.

Im 100% on Sri Lanka being 1 leg and Malaysia seemed like 1 leg too.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2458 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »

Not sure about Rome.

Im 100% on Sri Lanka being 1 leg and Malaysia seemed like 1 leg too.

So I'm guessing Sri Lanka 2 was the planned leg.

I also thought they had planned legs in Australia & (Ethiopia?, this was 100% spec), There's a good chance Seville was a replacement leg just by looking at the tasks.

Offline Stone

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2459 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »

I also thought they had planned legs in Australia & (Ethiopia?, this was 100% spec), There's a good chance Seville was a replacement leg just by looking at the tasks.
[/quote]

Yeah Rome and Seville seem like total replacements. Of all the replacement legs that season /theorized replacement legs I liked Seville the most purely for getting to see Rachel get yeeted by the “bulls” around the streets of the city.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2460 on: June 02, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »

Yeah Rome and Seville seem like total replacements. Of all the replacement legs that season /theorized replacement legs I liked Seville the most purely for getting to see Rachel get yeeted by the “bulls” around the streets of the city.
[/quote]

I think Australia was fake. It was a user on RFF who was speculating. Don't think that was for 24.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #2461 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »
Move on from Season 24...

Season 2 had a planned leg in Argentina, but due to economic crisis at the time, it was moved to one of NZ legs.

Season 5 were planned to have legs in Turkey and Japan. Due to terrorist attack in Turkey and red tape scandal in Japan, those were moved to UAE and the Philippines legs.

Season 15 had half of the planned legs were affected by H1N1 swine flu pandemic. South Korea, the Balkans, Ghana were moved to Japan, Netherlands and Sweden legs, with the haybale RB from season 6 was an addition.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2462 on: June 03, 2020, 06:44:50 AM »
I wonder where the Japan legs in S5 were meant to be, one leg for sure Tokyo, the other could've been rural Japan like seen in S18?

and maybe S15 would've looked like LA-Seoul-HCMCx2-Cambodia-Dubaix2-Balkans-Ghanax2-Praguex2orRio-LV

Only put Rio in there because I heard somewhere that Rio was meant to have been visited on the cancelled legs thread.

I wonder where in the Balkans was mean to be visited, they just had Croatia in S12, so maybe Belgrade, Sarajevo, Kotor? We'll never know :(

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2463 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »
I'm very curious about the cancelled legs as well.
Maybe Peach can enlighten us?  :bow:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2464 on: June 03, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
I have a million questions I wish I could ask production.

Like I wanna know what S15's route was before the changes exactly, also where in Tanzania was meant to be visited in S11, the Ngorongoro Crater, or the same place as S5?

I think routes are what I'm most interested in when it comes to the race, so I'd wonder how if no routes ever were changed, what other seasons would like. Eg if S2 had visited Buenos Aires, where would S5 have gone, if S15 hadn't visited Stockholm, when would it have been visited, so a lot of dumb questions aha.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2465 on: June 03, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
My Guess to what S15 would've looked like...

1. Seoul, South Korea 🇰🇷
2. Cái Be, Vietnam 🇻🇳
3. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 🇻🇳
4. Phnom Penh, Cambodia 🇰🇭
5. Dubai & Margham, United Arab Emirates 🇦🇪
6. Dubai, United Arab Emirates 🇦🇪
7. Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina 🇧🇦
8. Accra, Ghana 🇬🇭
9. Accra & Dodowa, Ghana 🇬🇭
10. Prague, Czech Republic 🇨🇿
11. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 🇧🇷
12. Las Vegas, Nevada 🇺🇸

Offline Crunch

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #2466 on: June 06, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »
Hi, have any Amazing Race DVDs/Blu-rays been issued in Europe?
I see some Region 2 DVDs  but I wonder whether they are genuine or not.
Thanks

(Apologies if asked before, I did I try searching for any "DVD" threads.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:46:52 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #2467 on: June 06, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »

No, and all Amazing Race DVD's are region 1 (US and Canada). Your best bet is to get a player that is region 1 or can read all regions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:47:19 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #2468 on: June 10, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »
Need some advice from fellow TAR vets. If you wanted to show TAR to someone who never seen it before, which season would you recommend? I have access to all Seasons, including Oz and Canadian Versions. Not sure where the best place is to start? Was thinking Season 1 but might not be a true reflection of the show as it's so different to every other season.

Any and all advice is welcome.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2469 on: June 10, 2020, 02:06:44 PM »
You don't get much more epic than watching Mirna and Charla riding camels across the desert to the Pyramids at sunset to classic desert music. Season 5 would be a good place to start.  IMO....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #2470 on: June 10, 2020, 02:36:29 PM »
You don't get much more epic than watching Mirna and Charla riding camels across the desert to the Pyramids at sunset to classic desert music. Season 5 would be a good place to start.  IMO....

You're a star Peach!  :luvya:  I was debating between it, 3 or 9 (9 solely as it was my first ever Season)  Wanted to start with an older one anyway, incase they ended up enjoying it and then we can watch in order up to All Stars, and beyond.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2471 on: June 10, 2020, 07:28:44 PM »
Just a few questions that no one but production probs has the answer to but they always baffle me... If anyone has suggestions aha.

1. Why did Amazing Race 2 visit Thailand again. The race had the whole world of new destinations but chose to visit Bangkok again for a second time, this has never made any sense to me  :lol:

2. Why in the earlier races were NELs near the end of the race normally. Still can't believe the first NEL in S3 was with the final 5, Feel like it loses some of the suspense at the end cause you know there will be all of these NELs, often back to back as seen in S3, 5 & 11

3. What happens if a team gets separated from their sound/camera guy, and has this happened before?

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2472 on: June 10, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
2. Why in the earlier races were NELs near the end of the race normally. Still can't believe the first NEL in S3 was with the final 5, Feel like it loses some of the suspense at the end cause you know there will be all of these NELs, often back to back as seen in S3, 5 & 11

This is speculation, but I thought I read somewhere that it helps to reduce costs. Late NELs mean fewer teams late in the race which is cheaper to produce.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2473 on: June 10, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »

This is speculation, but I thought I read somewhere that it helps to reduce costs. Late NELs mean fewer teams late in the race which is cheaper to produce.

However, wouldn't it cost to have more teams in the race for more legs (more flights etc.).

1. Why did Amazing Race 2 visit Thailand again. The race had the whole world of new destinations but chose to visit Bangkok again for a second time, this has never made any sense to me  :lol:

Just speculating here. Perhaps the Argentina legs that were cancelled caused a ripple effect which caused Thailand to be replacement legs ?

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2474 on: June 10, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
yeah never though of budget even though it's the most obvious  :lol:

Apparently one of the NZ legs was the replacement but maybe