Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1158902 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1975 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »
Which race course (Excluding TAR Canada and Family Edition) spent the most legs in English-speaking countries? Something tells me it's TAR2
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1976 on: June 22, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »
Also, biking seems to appear occasionally along the race. Therefore, is it a requirement for every racer to learn how to ride a bike before joining the race?

Gonna ask this again. It got flooded by my question on conjoined twins. :lol:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1977 on: June 22, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »
Also, biking seems to appear occasionally along the race. Therefore, is it a requirement for every racer to learn how to ride a bike before joining the race?

Gonna ask this again. It got flooded by my question on conjoined twins. :lol:

I think it's one of those things that are...intuitive to know? Not to mention in every possible task with biking either a) it's a Detour and you can switch and/or b) you can *walk* the bike.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1978 on: June 22, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
Which race course (Excluding TAR Canada and Family Edition) spent the most legs in English-speaking countries? Something tells me it's TAR2

Going off of official languages it's probably TAR2 (South Africa, Namibia, Hong Kong, Australia x2, New Zealand x2, US x2).

Thinking about it TAR22 comes close - New Zealand, Botswana x2, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the US account for 6/12 legs and in French Polynesia they mostly raced in or near resorts where English is understood so...8/12?

This makes me wonder about the opposite question - what season was the "hardest" from a language perspective? There were some that only had the US as an English speaking country (21 and 29 come to mind) but I think those might have been tempered with "easy" languages (Spanish, French).

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #1979 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »

Going off of official languages it's probably TAR2 (South Africa, Namibia, Hong Kong, Australia x2, New Zealand x2, US x2).

Thinking about it TAR22 comes close - New Zealand, Botswana x2, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the US account for 6/12 legs and in French Polynesia they mostly raced in or near resorts where English is understood so...8/12?

This makes me wonder about the opposite question - what season was the "hardest" from a language perspective? There were some that only had the US as an English speaking country (21 and 29 come to mind) but I think those might have been tempered with "easy" languages (Spanish, French).

TAR 14 had Russia, China, and India - it seemed like there were a lot of language challenges.
Por ti volaré

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #1980 on: June 22, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »
^ I agree, those are not only countries where English is not an official language, but the language barrier is huge in that it's pretty hard to find an average person who speaks English. I mean, like a random pedestrian to ask for information or something like a taxi driver.

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1981 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »
TAR14 is likely the one wit teams having the most language barrier

Who can forget Jamie and Cara's Beijing fiasco  :funny:
I think teams had language difficulty in Siberia and Thailand as well

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1982 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
Is there a penalty for missing a U-Turn and checks in the Pit Stop despite being U-Turned? Or disregarding the U-Turn just to continue the race without doing the other Detour after being U-Turned?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1983 on: June 22, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »
Is it just me, or are there no detours whenever there is a switchback that is an ARI? ???

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1984 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
Is there a penalty for missing a U-Turn and checks in the Pit Stop despite being U-Turned? Or disregarding the U-Turn just to continue the race without doing the other Detour after being U-Turned?

Yes, that situation happened in Canada 3. One woman needed medical attention after the Roadblock, and her injury prevented being able to finish either Detour. They got U-Turned but had given up.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1985 on: June 22, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »

Yes, that situation happened in Canada 3. One woman needed medical attention after the Roadblock, and her injury prevented being able to finish either Detour. They got U-Turned but had given up.

Yeah, but what about intentionally or unintentionally doing so?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1986 on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:37 AM »

Yeah, but what about intentionally or unintentionally doing so?

That happened in TAR Latin America 4. They basically went "Pshaw, we're in last already" and received a penalty that was half the length of the "quit the Detour" penalty. It was a non-elimination leg, and the next flight bunched them all together...Yeah.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1987 on: June 23, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
Would TAR be any different if TAR debuted in 1980s or 1990s?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1988 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
The standard penalty for TAR US is 4 hours for skipping a task.  In TAR7, three teams chose to skip the Roadblock (Eating 4 pounds of meat) in Argentina.

If a team inadvertently misses a task, they sometimes have the option of returning to the course and completing the leg properly.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1989 on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
Is it just me, or are there no detours whenever there is a switchback that is an ARI? ???

The broken ox task in 25 had a Detour attached as well.
You could ostensibly count the waterslide in 28 (it wasn't labeled as a switchback but teams were actively referencing Mika), and that leg had a Detour and RB.

That said I think that that only came up...once (cheese hill)? There's a lot more roadblocks that are used as roadblocks again (haybales, ditch vault, spy task, Corinth bungee).

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #1990 on: June 23, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »

I reckon so! The editing would be different and same with the countries visited.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1991 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:42 PM »

I reckon so! The editing would be different and same with the countries visited.

Interesting question. In the 80's, yes, there would be a few differences in Europe.
-Germany was East and West prior to the wall coming down in 1989
-Prior to 1991, Croatia and all its neighbouring countries were part of Yugoslavia
-Russia probably would never been an option, being the USSR also prior to 1991

Can't immediately think of examples in other parts of the world

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1992 on: June 23, 2017, 11:27:53 PM »

Interesting question. In the 80's, yes, there would be a few differences in Europe.
-Germany was East and West prior to the wall coming down in 1989
-Prior to 1991, Croatia and all its neighbouring countries were part of Yugoslavia
-Russia probably would never been an option, being the USSR also prior to 1991

Can't immediately think of examples in other parts of the world

So how long carry-on cameras that TAR has been using since its debut has been around?

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1993 on: June 24, 2017, 02:25:08 AM »
What was reason that TAR introduced Elimination Station from TAR 11-17? Did some drama happen in TAR 10 Elimination Station (owing to diversity of the cast) that the production felt that Elimination Station would be good?

kaedav9

« Reply #1994 on: June 29, 2017, 05:55:56 AM »
WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THE FAMILY EDITION!!!!! IT IS LITTERALLY THE EXACT SAME LAYOUT AS TAR CANADA!!!! JUST MORE PROOF CANADA IS BETTER :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Offline sveped

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #1995 on: June 29, 2017, 06:04:00 AM »
Could a team use the Express Pass to skip/win the Fast Forward-clue?

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #1996 on: June 29, 2017, 06:06:27 AM »
^^no. Not a chance
what might have been

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1997 on: June 29, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »
Could a team use the Express Pass to skip/win the Fast Forward-clue?

Becca & Floyd had an Express Pass when they chose to do the Fast Forward. If you skip it with a Express Pass, you automatically get a 4-hour penalty, if I'm not wrong.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1998 on: June 29, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
There's no 4-hour penalty but it's specifically prohibited in the rules according to Becca & Floyd.

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
« Reply #1999 on: June 29, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
There's no 4-hour penalty but it's specifically prohibited in the rules according to Becca & Floyd.

Perhaps if they had given the EP at FF, the FF task instructor would have rejected it.
what might have been