Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1169711 times)

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1650 on: January 02, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
Wow that must have been pretty awkward.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1651 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:05 PM »
Is it possible for any team to have a time penalty being counted down at the finish line?

We've had Dave & Rachel being told to go back from the finish line to the task that they missed, but I've never seen any team told to wait out a penalty on the finish line. I've seen Hussein & Natasha waiting out a 4-hour penalty on the final leg, but not on the finish line itself.

2nd Season of the Vietnam race.

Show content
Linh Chi & Nhan Phuc Vinh arrived in 1st but received time penalties for their taxi driver running red lights, so they stood (angrily) on the finish line and waited for time to run out. Diep Lam Anh and Thu Hien showed up soon after and won the race.

^Why should they get penalized for it? Unless, of course they paid the taxi driver to do it.
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #1652 on: January 04, 2016, 05:00:44 AM »
Aren't all teams required to obey traffic rules? :cmas31:
I always wondered that about self-driving legs. Can they go faster than allowed, thus probably surpassing other teams?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1653 on: January 04, 2016, 06:48:14 AM »
I always wondered that about self-driving legs. Can they go faster than allowed, thus probably surpassing other teams?

From what I know, teams can incur a 30-minute penalty for speeding. But recently, teams who were overspeeding at TAR22's Leg 7 had to pay the fine before resuming with their race. :cmas5

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1654 on: January 04, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
Teams have been penalized for speeding, so it is a risk. Not sure how uniformly that is enforced though.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1655 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »

From what I know, teams can incur a 30-minute penalty for speeding. But recently, teams who were overspeeding at TAR22's Leg 7 had to pay the fine before resuming with their race. :cmas5
I think the circumstance that was different in Maun, Botswana were teams going out of their way to the police office to pay the fine. That might have supplemented for the 30-min penalty. In season 13, I remember when Terence & Sarah were caught speeding on the way to the Auckland Airport. I believe they paid the fine on the spot instead of driving elsewhere.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1656 on: January 04, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »

That was due entirely to Botswanan law.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1657 on: January 10, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
I've been watching past seasons of International Versions of TAR and then I wonder, when a team checks-in are they required to bring their bags with them (except the fanny pack which I know they should always bring). I'm thinking the big, bulky, backpacks. I remember seeing teams leaving their bags when running to the mat and there are some that won't drop it even if it's a footrace. And in one leg of TAR: Australia Season 1, it was a footrace for first place, and the team members scrambled to get their backpacks on their pick-up trucks before they ran.

So what is the rule on this?

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1658 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I've been watching past seasons of International Versions of TAR and then I wonder, when a team checks-in are they required to bring their bags with them

As far as I understand it they are free to drop their bags as soon as they are within sight of the pit stop. Actually they are of course free to drop their bags anytime they want, but they will not be allowed to go back and collect them unless it is within sight of the pit stop (until after the race that is).

Exceptions apply, one some legs you notice that team are instructed to leave their bags in specific places and they may or may not be reunited with their bags later that leg.

There has also been at least one instance where a team forgot to bring their bags from one challenge so they had to race on without bags. After they were eliminated in the following leg they learned that production had taken care of their forgotten bags and they were reunited.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1659 on: January 11, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
I've been watching past seasons of International Versions of TAR and then I wonder, when a team checks-in are they required to bring their bags with them

As far as I understand it they are free to drop their bags as soon as they are within sight of the pit stop. Actually they are of course free to drop their bags anytime they want, but they will not be allowed to go back and collect them unless it is within sight of the pit stop (until after the race that is).

Exceptions apply, one some legs you notice that team are instructed to leave their bags in specific places and they may or may not be reunited with their bags later that leg.

There has also been at least one instance where a team forgot to bring their bags from one challenge so they had to race on without bags. After they were eliminated in the following leg they learned that production had taken care of their forgotten bags and they were reunited.

Steve & Allie from TAR16 forgot their bags after a task that involved feeding a turtle in Seychelles. They had their travel documents with them so they raced without their bags.

There was a post-race interview quote from Steve talking about production giving them back their bags after the race.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1660 on: January 11, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
So, it means it's the racer's choice to leave their bags behind? Meaning whatever they have when they step on the mat will basically be just their possessions going forward?

I remembered the BQs leaving their bags on a bench on a park where the pitstop is, not sure if it is within the perimeter of the mat. But for sure they still race with their things.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1661 on: January 11, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
As long as it's at sight, I think?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1662 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:49 AM »
Teams have frequently dropped their backpacks within sight of the check-in mat; I think it is based on the location being within a production security perimeter. On final legs, it has frequently been the case that teams got rid of their backpacks; checked them in as luggage to be retrieved after the Race; or rented a locker at the final airport to store their backpacks.
-- theschnauzers

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1663 on: January 12, 2016, 01:03:39 AM »
In self-driving legs, can they leave their bags inside the vehicle and then check-in? Or again they can only do it, if the parking is within sight? I remember a case where it's a three-team footrace to the mat and the teams just go outside their cars and ran to Phil, not bothering to take their bags with them.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1664 on: January 14, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
In self-driving legs, can they leave their bags inside the vehicle and then check-in? Or again they can only do it, if the parking is within sight? I remember a case where it's a three-team footrace to the mat and the teams just go outside their cars and ran to Phil, not bothering to take their bags with them.
If teams park their car and items in the Pit Stop location's vicinity, then it's allowed. Like what schnauzers said,
I think it is based on the location being within a production security perimeter.
:tup:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1665 on: January 14, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
The team with the EP reached the determined place to complete the task but this task already closed because hours of operations, would they allow to use EP to nullify their penalty
Two or more teams can't compelte the task because hours of operations, what would happen in pitstop
Team faced flight drama like NFL in S23 had the save or other team had a salvage pass?

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #1666 on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
Question that Peach may know the answer to. Leg 9 in TAR11 had Uchenna and Joyce being eliminated with the next two legs both being NELs. Had Uchenna and Joyce made the flight was Leg 9 supposed to be a NEL and Leg 10 an elimination leg? Did the flight cause the production to change up things with the remaining NELs?
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1667 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:19 PM »
The team with the EP reached the determined place to complete the task but this task already closed because hours of operations, would they allow to use EP to nullify their penalty
Two or more teams can't compelte the task because hours of operations, what would happen in pitstop
Team faced flight drama like NFL in S23 had the save or other team had a salvage pass?

1.) If they're the last team, then perhaps they can, but what's the point of it if they'll be eliminated too. ;)

2.) Those 2 teams either have to wait for the task's location to open or they will receive a certain amount of time penalty which will be served at the pit stop.

3.) The Save can be used in this case I guess, but if the team is a whole day behind everyone else, they'll just last until the start of the next leg. :funny: Also, I think this will give the crew a really hard time. If it's the salvage pass, the team who has it will most likely be forced to use the headstart instead.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1668 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
The Vietnam season penalty wasn't because the taxi driver ran a red light, it was because the team directed him to go the wrong way on a one-way street which is apparently a huge problem there.

As for bags, the rule was flat-out stated in Canada season 1 because it became relevant. One team dropped their bags early on the other side of dunes near the pitstop, but the host said the bags needed to be in view of the pit stop.

Question that Peach may know the answer to. Leg 9 in TAR11 had Uchenna and Joyce being eliminated with the next two legs both being NELs. Had Uchenna and Joyce made the flight was Leg 9 supposed to be a NEL and Leg 10 an elimination leg? Did the flight cause the production to change up things with the remaining NELs?

That's pretty much exactly the story I've heard.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1669 on: January 15, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
From what I understand, NEL legs are predetermined and confirmed and documented  with CBS legal before the race begins.

And we have heard teams say "I see Phil" in ref to it being safe to drop their bags...so perhaps that is the be all/end all. ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #1670 on: January 15, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »
From what I understand, NEL legs are predetermined and confirmed and documented  with CBS legal before the race begins.

And we have heard teams say "I see Phil" in ref to it being safe to drop their bags...so perhaps that is the be all/end all. ???

True, If it was a planned NEL Uchenna and Joyce would just be eliminated in Hong Kong then I guess.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1671 on: January 18, 2016, 02:29:24 AM »
The penalty for finishing last of non-elimination leg which applied for Tanner & Josh should be considered as Handicap rather than speedbump

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1672 on: January 18, 2016, 05:14:49 AM »
The penalty for finishing last of non-elimination leg which applied for Tanner & Josh should be considered as Handicap rather than speedbump
I agree! TAR US calling it a speedbump made the whole penalty become a disappointment. :groan:

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1673 on: January 18, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
I agree! TAR US calling it a speedbump made the whole penalty become a disappointment. :groan:
This type of penalty already used in The amazing race norge 1 and 2

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #1674 on: January 23, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
On TARPH2, host Derek Ramsay lectured a team (RR & Jeck) and called them out at the Mat as they were being eliminated for basically not taking the Race seriously and taking a spot away from the teams eliminated before them and the others that auditioned.

Has this kind of thing happened on any other TAR?  Actually calling out a team at the Mat for Racing poorly and wasting a spot? Not something like Jonathan & Victoria, but something like almost expressing the show's regret at casting them in the first place? lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:07:18 AM by dryedmangoez »