Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161251 times)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1325 on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
The leg with the most tasks is probably the first Las Vegas leg in TAR Israel 3

Didn't that leg have around 10 tasks? I'm pretty sure that's the most we can get.

That's a crazy amount of tasks! :o
Leads me to asking, which Leg for the US Version has had the most tasks?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:03:08 AM by nmccarroll91 »
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1326 on: November 14, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.

About the EP, I asked that more than a year ago. I never got an exact answer and I still wonder to this day how it'll work, since I'm making a fan fiction of TAR. :( I can't apply it until I get an exact answer. :pity

About your 1st question, it reminds me of something.
What if a team withdrew at the start of the leg which will have an intersection later on. For example, David & Connor withdrew in 8th place. Let's say: Since TAR assumed that 8 teams would race, they set up an intersection on that leg, but after a team's withdrawal, what will happen then? :ascared

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1327 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
Two questions:

1) What if a team which is temporaily the last team gives up an Intersection? It'll result in a penalty for the penultimate team as well for not completing the task.

Another similar case could be that the penultimate team has to wait for the last team that encounters trouble in flight and that is almost "never" able to arrive at the Intersection locale. (Imagine the penultimate team waits for over 6 hours for the last team, which is a large amount of time that's hard to make up in the next leg.)

2) Can an EP bypass the Intersection? This may result in the case that the last team has no other team to cooperate with.

About the EP, I asked that more than a year ago. I never got an exact answer and I still wonder to this day how it'll work, since I'm making a fan fiction of TAR. :( I can't apply it until I get an exact answer. :pity

What if a team withdrew at the start of the leg which will have an intersection later on. For example, David & Connor withdrew in 8th place. Let's say: Since TAR assumed that 8 teams would race, they set up an intersection on that leg, but after a team's withdrawal, what will happen then? :ascared

They would know they were quitting before hand so they would just take away the intersection and maybe place it when there would be 6 teams maybe

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1328 on: November 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Didn't Paula & Natasha wait a good few hours at an intersection for Terri & Henry?

In the Aus version Anastacia gave up the intersection and they got a 4 hour penalty whereas Sam/Renae got a 2 hour one if I remember correctly :lol:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #1329 on: November 14, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »

They would know they were quitting before hand so they would just take away the intersection and maybe place it when there would be 6 teams maybe

Even if they did know of a teams withdrawal prior to the start of the Leg, it would still cause chaos among production, because the clues previous to the Intersection would be directing teams to the Intersection location, and these would all need to be reprinted, so instead, teams are directed to wherever they would be going after the Intersection.  This could be deemed extremely difficult as everyone is on the road, and don't have a specific "base" as such to go too.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
« Reply #1330 on: November 14, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Two questions:

I think the intersection would either be skipped completely or changed at the last minute to an Active Route Info or something.
Usually in intersections, it's a task that can be "split in half" so to speak, so maybe production can make it so that teams do half of the intersection, but rewritten as an ARI.
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1331 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
It may be why we haven't seen an Intersection appear in recent American seasons, due to the chaos it may arise by the Express Pass.

As to the aftermath of withdrawal of any team on the Intersection, I don't think it's a big issue for the crew because the crew would know the case priorily and they just need to cancel the Intersection and reprint the clue.

IIRC this happened in the second season of China Rush where a predetermined Intersection was forced to move to a latter leg. (It was not aired tho. I know it from insider's news.)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1332 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Question:

Could it happen in a leg with U-Turn that one team, completing all tasks and arriving at the pitstop, just fails to find the U-Turn board midway? I mean, due to the route the taxi driver chooses, the team may just take a shortcut or make a much longer distance and hence the team members don't see the U-Turn board as if it didn't exist in this leg and go directly to the next task locale.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1333 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Is there a penalty for ripping off the clue?

According to the promo of EP6 of TAR China (Shenzhen version), a team member does so because he's very angry.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1334 on: November 18, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
Question:

Could it happen in a leg with U-Turn that one team, completing all tasks and arriving at the pitstop, just fails to find the U-Turn board midway? I mean, due to the route the taxi driver chooses, the team may just take a shortcut or make a much longer distance and hence the team members don't see the U-Turn board as if it didn't exist in this leg and go directly to the next task locale.

The way the race course is structured in the US version, it's almost impossible to skip the U-Turn board since 1) the clue says to visit the board, and 2) their next clue is usually right beside the U-Turn board. And even if they skip it because they failed to see it within a few feet of them, they would probably be turned away from the pit stop since they missed a route marker or be penalized. This is especially the case if the team who accidentally skipped the U-Turn in actually U-Turned.

In other versions however (like Philippines 2), there is no clue next to the must-vote U-Turn or Yield boards. Instead, the clue that says where the U-Turn board is also says their next destination, only that the teams have to pass by the U-Turn board first. For example, Charlie & Daniel in Philippines 2 forgot to visit the U-Turn board in Leg 2, only to realize it after arriving at their next clue in another province. They went back and discovered they were U-Turned, which they had to do before returning to the race course.

Is there a penalty for ripping off the clue?

According to the promo of EP6 of TAR China (Shenzhen version), a team member does so because he's very angry.

What does "ripping off a clue" mean? If you mean destroying their own clue, I think the team won't get a penalty since destroying their clue would be to their own disadvantage, similar to losing their clue or giving it away. Getting a second clue would institute a penalty, however.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1335 on: November 18, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
I think Phil or BVM said in an Interview, no more Intersections!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1336 on: November 19, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »
What does "ripping off a clue" mean? If you mean destroying their own clue, I think the team won't get a penalty since destroying their clue would be to their own disadvantage, similar to losing their clue or giving it away. Getting a second clue would institute a penalty, however.

Yeah, I mean to tear up the clue into pieces. I agree on your reply.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1337 on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
In Tar 14 leg 9 ( Guilin, China ) what happened at the start because when the first two flights landed it was pitch black and when they arrived at the hair salon it was morning with the sun fully up was there an unaired overnight rest or did it actually take that long to get to?

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1338 on: November 21, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
In Tar 14 leg 9 ( Guilin, China ) what happened at the start because when the first two flights landed it was pitch black and when they arrived at the hair salon it was morning with the sun fully up was there an unaired overnight rest or did it actually take that long to get to?
They went to the Peak of the Luminous Moon and did some task with drums that was unaired.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1339 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
What if there's a tie in voting U-Turn?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1340 on: November 28, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
This just happened on TAR Philippines. Both teams got 3/10 votes and were both U-Turned.

Two times this has also happened with a voting Yield. Once on TAR Philippines season 1, and once on TAR Israel 3
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1341 on: December 03, 2014, 03:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply above.

Another question: Is a U-turn valid, from a team following the normal route, on another team who's currently doing a Fast Forward (and later that team finishes this FF)? This might happen in the case that tasks on the normal route are easy while the FF task is time-consuming.

As to another case that a team U-turns another team that has finished the FF, that U-turn is invalid, isn't it?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1342 on: December 03, 2014, 07:15:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply above.

Another question: Is a U-turn valid, from a team following the normal route, on another team who's currently doing a Fast Forward (and later that team finishes this FF)? This might happen in the case that tasks on the normal route are easy while the FF task is time-consuming.

As to another case that a team U-turns another team that has finished the FF, that U-turn is invalid, isn't it?

A team that is U-Turned but won a Fast Forward wouldn't be affected by that U-Turn.

My question is: Could a team really go back to U-Turn after passing it? Amy & Maya said Brooke & Robbie should go back and U-Turn the cyclists, but does the rules really allow for this?

A hypothetical I would like to throw out there :) Can a team that has finished a Fast Forward go back on the normal race course, complete the Detour, then use the U-Turn? This could happen if the team is far ahead enough, like Natalie & Nadiya in Amsterdam/Season 21. Logistically, it would be the same as a team completing the Detour and using the U-Turn first before heading to the Fast Forward and claiming it, but is the team locked to the Fast Forward?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1343 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »
^ I think that the team could go do the Detour, U-Turn someone, and then go to the FF. I think you have to go right to the Pit Stop after winning the FF.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1344 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
The Fast Forward can be taken at any point in the leg. In Season 4, Steve & Dave took the FF (which appeared at the first Route Marker) after completing the Detour.

The rest of the course, however, must be done in order.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #1345 on: December 29, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
So I don't even know why but I was wondering... There is a lot of new regulations in airports but racers have been visiting hundreds of them around the world, has the production team got in trouble of some kind by having people running around the airport and getting in the way of "normal behavior" in an airport? annoying regular clients, maybe.

I know some changes were made back in the day to the rule of begging for money because of some airport regulations but is there anything else?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1346 on: December 30, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Could be the reason that (A) teams are now sometimes specifically instructed to use travel agencies and (B) as of TAR25 can only purchase one set of plane tickets and that's it.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1347 on: January 01, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »
Just remembered: In TAR25's Philippine Legs, is the Leg 10 fish detour clue giver the same as the Leg 11 sidecar detour clue giver? ???

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1348 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
Just remembered: In TAR25's Philippine Legs, is the Leg 10 fish detour clue giver the same as the Leg 11 sidecar detour clue giver? ???

No. :D The lady at the Leg 11 sidecar Detour had long hair, while the other woman's hair didn't reach past her shoulder.

Going back to the Fast Forward thing: Could a team, after claiming a Fast Forward, go back and complete the actual race course (Roadblocks, Detours, etc) and perhaps even use the U-Turn? Hypothetical situation: [season 21/Amsterdam] after claiming the FF, Natalie & Nadiya finished the Detour, and used the U-Turn, before going directly to the pit stop (w/o completing the RB).

On another note, what's the difference between TBC and double-length legs? And are these just purely fandom terms?
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1349 on: January 02, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
The only thing one can do after the Fast Forward is go to the Pit Stop.

TBC stands for To Be Continued, which is shown on-screen for both Double-Length legs and No-Rest legs. The difference is that DL Legs are one leg that is twice as long, while NR Legs are two legs that have no rest-point inbetween.

Since the claim of the "300th" leg, a few DL Legs are going to be reclassified as NR Legs, but other than that we have a pretty solid grasp on which is which.