Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)  (Read 90992 times)

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
The Prayer for Purity Detour was probably at the Yuhi-no-taki (sunset falls), near Yagura-dake Peak and Kintoki-Yama, known for the legend of Kintaro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintar%C5%8D

OFFTOPIC:
Speaking of Kintaro and TAR in Japan, anyone seen this?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3067683435545761102#

I do wonder if the producers had Tyler's nickname in mind when they chose the Minami-Ashigara area as their location...
「超たのしい~!♪」
-Tyler McNiven riding a fold-up bike in the night streets of Tokyo, TAR9

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »
Is this the sign you were looking for?

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Is this the sign you were looking for?

Slowhatch, YEP! That's the one.
It looks like J/C took a left turn at that intersection, heading towards Nakameguro and Gotanda.

「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline allie303

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
The last time it happened was with Don and MJ and Adam and Rebecca. Don and MJ took Adam and Rebecca's car and Adam and Rebecca had to wait for Don and MJ to realise their mistake, drive back and return their car i think.

This was an obvious case of impeding the progress of another team. If Ron and Christina were to make their way to the pitstop had Ron not see their fanny pack, then some other devastating changes might happen. You know on the race that all your travel documents are in the fanny pack and you don't want to lose them. What FT and BE did was extremely selfish as they realied their mistake that they took Ron and Chris's fanny packs by mistake and DIDN'T bother to go all the way back to return because they don't want to lose their lead. Just shows how cut-throat type of players they are. (This is Mika incident all over again) :res:

I kinda wished that the first flight didn't get delayed or what.. then FT and BE MIGHT... actually get eliminated. :res:
Have you ever thought it could have been a honest mistake?

Yes, I do think it was a honest mistake. However, if you sabotage a team, whether it was intentional or not, you should be penalized.  :tup:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
I'm not convinced Ron ever changed; I just think he got a redemption arc edit in TAR 12 because there wasn't much interesting to do on that season after Azaria and Hendekea were eliminated unfairly. As a side bar note, they had more unfinished business than anyone or TAR 18, as did Brad and Victoria from TAR 14. But no matter.
As for the Globetrotters' fanny pack moving incident, I can't tell whether or not it was intentional. I tend to think they were having one of their "duh" moments. I think TPTB slapped them with a minor penalty for show, because they themselves could not interpret their motives.

All in all, it was an interesting episode. The tasks are definitely much harder this season than usual.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
And if Ron & Christina had left the Trotters' stuff at the task? That's the crux of my question.

The Globetrotters didn't leave any of their own stuff behind.  One of them (Flight Time, I think) accidentally picked up Ron and Christina's fanny pack.  This was an honest mistake.  Where they made an intentional mistake was in not returning the fanny pack to its original location, or at least informing Ron and Christina that they left it in the changing room.  Had they let Ron know, I don't think they would have been penalized.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
And if Ron & Christina had left the Trotters' stuff at the task? That's the crux of my question.

The Globetrotters didn't leave any of their own stuff behind.  One of them (Flight Time, I think) accidentally picked up Ron and Christina's fanny pack.  This was an honest mistake.  Where they made an intentional mistake was in not returning the fanny pack to its original location, or at least informing Ron and Christina that they left it in the changing room.  Had they let Ron know, I don't think they would have been penalized.

I am fairly certain the penalty gets applied as soon as you touch and/or move their fanny pack.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »

After rewatching the scene, I agree they made an honest mistake. Since there's very little evidence of what happened after awards (this wasn't mentioned until teams had jumped to the Pit Stop), I'm guessing that they didn't look inside the bag to make sure their documents were actually inside until much later.

The point is, they definitely deserved that penalty for tampering with other racers' possessions, unintentionally or intentionally. I think a team in an older race was also hit with this penalty, so there's precedent.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »
The Onion A.V. Club has posted the recap for Episode 3:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/we-had-a-lot-of-evil-spirits-apparently-japan,52747/

I agree with most of what the author, Scott Von Doviak, wrote.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »
Yeah, once they saw Ron's reading glasses and Christina's lip balm, moisturizer and face cream, surely they would recognize they got the wrong fanny packs?

They don't keep those things in the fannypack, those are kept in the backpack

I was being overly sarcastic.

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
Does anybody recognize these plates?   :lol3:

:lol3: :lol3: Nice find!
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
It looks like they were about a mile away when the car owner and police caught up with them (viewpoint).

Maybe this from Mel's post elimination interview on RTVW can help:

Mel White: Yeah, they did. They did. In these Japanese towns, you ask people and so many don't speak English and then you can't see any signs or understand them. Then at night, and they've just gone through two wrecks, you know? -- two incidents in their car -- So, they were really confused about getting back to the Pit Stop.

Crash...resolve...drive 1 mile...crash...police!   :duno:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
No, I was wrong about that, and kenchan was right. It's hard to see with the lighting, but the reaction shot takes place next to a chain restaurant called Tsukiji Sushiko, less than 100 yds. from where they exchanged info. So they pulled over almost at once.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:16:58 PM by Slowhatch »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Locations of the tasks of TAR18.......Neobie will have a much better one. This one will do for general info.

The route info, two car crashes and car pick up points are so close together in central Tokyo, they all appear as one map pin.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Two car crashes?  WHat was the other one? ??? I am soooo having a bad week. :res:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
Two car crashes?  WHat was the other one? ??? I am soooo having a bad week. :res:

It is in Mel's exit interview. Jamie had back to back accidents in dowtown Tokyo apparently.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
That should be a warning to anyone not to get a ride with Jamie driving.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »
No, I was wrong about that, and kenchan was right. It's hard to see with the lighting, but the reaction shot takes place next to a chain restaurant called Tsukiji Sushiko, less than 100 yds. from where they exchanged info. So they pulled over almost at once.

very keen observation!
So, I wonder if this is the first or second accident, then. This location is about 0.6 miles = 1km from that left turn onto Yamate dori...
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Probably the redheads got bad taxi cab driver karma transferring to their car.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
First off I want to say I dont have a dog in this hunt. Penalty or no penalty, it doesnt matter to me. If it was earned, then do it. If it wasnt earned, then no penalty.

I went back and rewatched the episode several times. I think we have some really funny editing going on about Fannypackgate.  The Globes go up the hill with their backpacks and drop them and start the detour. We dont really see where they drop them. Christina comes up there and drops her fanny pack. Again, we dont see where she puts it.  When the Globes finish, they pick up their stuff and go down the hill. Christina and Ron finish and the hunt begins for the fanny pack. Did she put it right next to the Globes backpacks, close enough that they might think it was theirs? Did she put it far enough away from the Globes backpacks, that there would be no mistaking her fanny pack for their own fannypack? We dont know this and in the past, TPTB always showed all the "action" that lead to penalties.

When Ron/Christina arrived at the mat and complain. Phil starts talking and we can see his lips moving in sync with what is being said. When he gets to the part about giving the Globes the penalty, the camera angle switches to a face shot of Ron/Christina. We do not see Phil's lips moving when he says he will give them a 30 minute penalty. Also, when he says it, there is absolutely NO reaction from Ron/Christina........just blank stares.

So personally, I think there was a lot of creative editing going on to create drama. And from judging from all the reactions, it worked. It will be interesting to see this week how/if it is all explained. If not next Sunday......then lots of good questions for people that attend TARcon18.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:58 PM »
It was one of the Phil voice-overs like when he is giving out the first place prize (aka advertising for Travelocity  :lol: )
He might of said something like: "I will investigate this" and then the production decided to give a penalty.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »
Fwiw, the insider video "Foul Play" now only plays for a few seconds before cutting out with the message "the video you have requested is unavailable or may have expired." The caption read "One team intentionally moves the fanny pack of another team to throw a wrench in their game."
Call my cynical, but I think the producers tagged the penalty at the start rather than the finish because of flight bunching.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:24 AM »
Fwiw, the insider video "Foul Play" now only plays for a few seconds before cutting out with the message "the video you have requested is unavailable or may have expired." The caption read "One team intentionally moves the fanny pack of another team to throw a wrench in their game."
Call my cynical, but I think the producers tagged the penalty at the start rather than the finish because of flight bunching.

I can still see it, with the caption One team intentionally moves the fanny pack of another team to throw a wrench in their game.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
So the curse continues:    :groan:

8.9 Earthquake in Japan

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
It was one of the Phil voice-overs like when he is giving out the first place prize (aka advertising for Travelocity  :lol: )
He might of said something like: "I will investigate this" and then the production decided to give a penalty.

Yes, it sounded like a voiceover to me as well.
Based on the video, the Globetrotters may have purposely tampered with the fanny pack. It seems as thought they were trying to be quiet about it so that it wasn't caught on camera.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.