Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)  (Read 91012 times)

Offline loosekanen

• RFF Newbie
Re: TAR 18 Ep 3: "We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently" (Japan)
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
Love the site. Been a lurker for a long time and a TAR watcher since night 1 when I decided TAR was WAY better than "Lost" (not that LOST.) Hopefully my karma from 1 casting spoiler like 3 years ago leads someone to answer my question. I'm going to start by copying something I wrote on another forum I'm active on:

"R&C should have absolutely left the trotters' stuff at the detour. Worst case: they have to race back with the Trotters for their gear, Trotters are then penalized 30 minutes after maybe beating them in a foot race by like 20 seconds and are eliminated. I wouldn't be surprised if something happened behind the scenes that we didn't see wrt producers making the call on gear swap at the pit stop. It's possible things went down and the trotters were sweating elimination except for the Mel & Mike quitting and the producers just decided to edit it differently."

I know this site is famous for inside info. Does anyone have a copy of the rule that applies here or any information on why this was skimmed over. Is this the first time someone has left something at a task and didn't have to go back for it? As a devoted race follower I felt a bit cheated by this development. Or lack thereof.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
Some seasons back, we were introduced to a rule that Racers could not impede other Racers .  The incident at that time was IIRC Meredith and Gretchen taking a vehicle after a task that was being used by another team, and that team had left their backpacks and fanny pack in the trunk. This was because M/G had damaged their own vehicle on the way to the task.

They were assessed a 30 minute penalty.  The penalty accessed in this leg totally fit within the rule the way it was explained in that earlier season.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
I just wish it they had given the Trotters the penalty when they checked in...not after the fact. Phil should have known all this...bad that his production people didn't get the word to him.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline loosekanen

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
And if Ron & Christina had left the Trotters' stuff at the task? That's the crux of my question.

Offline moox03

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
FYI it was Don and Mary Jean, not Meredith and Gretchen

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
And if Ron & Christina had left the Trotters' stuff at the task? That's the crux of my question.

Does it matter? Herb & Nate only fell two places. It wasn't a crucial penalty that eliminated them or forced them to fall to the back of the pack.

Offline loosekanen

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
In terms of strategy I feel like it matters significantly. If you consider the only thing mattering to be beating one team to the mat, which in the early legs would be my focus, it doesn't make sense to take their things with you. You want to make them have to race back for them AND incur a penalty for taking your things instead of doing what R&C supposedly did as shown by the editing.

If I was in that situation I would sit my butt down until Herb and Nate came back with my stuff, followed them to the pit stop, and taken a guaranteed no worse than second to last place.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
The key to this is that the Trotters took the fanny pack and didn't try to let Ron and Christina know what had happened. It cost them a lot of time before Ron stumbled across it in the changing room, and that is the crux of the penalty -- because the travel documents are kept in the fanny packs.

And it may well have been Don and Mary Jean --(I recalled that it was an older couple, I couldn't remember who, and I recall what happened, and how the penalty was described since as far as I know that was the first time it has been assessed.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »
In terms of strategy I feel like it matters significantly. If you consider the only thing mattering to be beating one team to the mat, which in the early legs would be my focus, it doesn't make sense to take their things with you. You want to make them have to race back for them AND incur a penalty for taking your things instead of doing what R&C supposedly did as shown by the editing.

If I was in that situation I would sit my butt down until Herb and Nate came back with my stuff, followed them to the pit stop, and taken a guaranteed no worse than second to last place.

I can't say I'd feel safe cutting it that close when I have a chance to finish in the top and deal with it at the pit stop. Thats the logic Ron & Christina were using I assume.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2011, 12:47:07 AM »
It took a little longer than I thought. The parking garage is only a block or so from Shibuya station (viewpoint)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:29 AM »
Does anybody recognize these plates?   :lol3:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:03 AM »
The last time it happened was with Don and MJ and Adam and Rebecca. Don and MJ took Adam and Rebecca's car and Adam and Rebecca had to wait for Don and MJ to realise their mistake, drive back and return their car i think.

This was an obvious case of impeding the progress of another team. If Ron and Christina were to make their way to the pitstop had Ron not see their fanny pack, then some other devastating changes might happen. You know on the race that all your travel documents are in the fanny pack and you don't want to lose them. What FT and BE did was extremely selfish as they realied their mistake that they took Ron and Chris's fanny packs by mistake and DIDN'T bother to go all the way back to return because they don't want to lose their lead. Just shows how cut-throat type of players they are. (This is Mika incident all over again) :res:

I kinda wished that the first flight didn't get delayed or what.. then FT and BE MIGHT... actually get eliminated. :res:

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
Two things I picked up so far:

- Teams were given instructions on how to get to airport from Central  :naughty:
- Clues after mud detour were laminated = good thinking WRP!!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
So far the most fun about Unfinished Business is watching Ron meltdown. Episode 1, it was Kent/Vyxen. Episode 2 it was Mallory. Episode 3 it was Globetrotters.....I wonder if the hospital trip is because he has a stroke before the end.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
The last time it happened was with Don and MJ and Adam and Rebecca. Don and MJ took Adam and Rebecca's car and Adam and Rebecca had to wait for Don and MJ to realise their mistake, drive back and return their car i think.

This was an obvious case of impeding the progress of another team. If Ron and Christina were to make their way to the pitstop had Ron not see their fanny pack, then some other devastating changes might happen. You know on the race that all your travel documents are in the fanny pack and you don't want to lose them. What FT and BE did was extremely selfish as they realied their mistake that they took Ron and Chris's fanny packs by mistake and DIDN'T bother to go all the way back to return because they don't want to lose their lead. Just shows how cut-throat type of players they are. (This is Mika incident all over again) :res:

I kinda wished that the first flight didn't get delayed or what.. then FT and BE MIGHT... actually get eliminated. :res:
Have you ever thought it could have been a honest mistake?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »
I'm probably going to have to rewatch this scene, because I thought that the Globetrotters made an honest mistake. I mean, why would you take someone else's travel docs knowingly? You're still not going to get out of the country unless you have your own passports. Now if they noticed on the car (not sure if there's any evidence of it), there's two options: go back (but R/C may have left) or just head to Pit Stop and sort it out there.

It doesn't help that the editing was severely rushed towards the end, so all we got were R/C's perspective and a an after-the-fact mention from Phil, so the details are very obscure.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2011, 02:14:12 AM »

Yeah, once they saw Ron's reading glasses and Christina's lip balm, moisturizer and face cream, surely they would recognize they got the wrong fanny packs?

Yeah, and loose, at that point, none of the teams knew of Mel & Mike's collapse (although they could have guessed) and nobody knew where Jamie & Cara was.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2011, 02:26:33 AM »
Yeah, once they saw Ron's reading glasses and Christina's lip balm, moisturizer and face cream, surely they would recognize they got the wrong fanny packs?

They don't keep those things in the fannypack, those are kept in the backpack
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
I will be funny if next week Ron gets a penalty for throwing rocks at the bus.........bus abuse!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2011, 02:57:33 AM »

I always thought it was a honest mistake. But their mistake caused the loss of precious time of another team. If they took the racepack, realized their mistake and had the decency to go back and return to Ron/Chris.. i wouldn't be as pissed. But by not saying a single word/mentioning anything about it and throwing it on Ron's clothings.. who would have thought... Ron/Chris could have spent an entire afternoon looking for the fanny pack on the mountain... But i'm just glad they received a penalty for it. :tup:

And not trying to entirely shield Ron here because he has been very edgy and rude for the past 2 legs once again. This leg i can understand his frustration with globetrotters, but last leg.. there was no point with being rude to Mallory or even his own daughter. :(

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
Sorry folks for the delay in jumping in!  

I was partially involved in the live spoilage of this leg as I fwded info from the TAR18 live sightings thread to my community in Japan, where one of the members, Kuni, took his own precious time to go to Narita on an early weekday morning to spot the teams coming off of the delayed Cathay Pacific flight at Narita T2 Exit B. (Hats off to Kuni!)

A few notes about this leg...

* Kuni mentioned that the teams coming out of Exit B headed straight into cars waiting outside the terminal building.  I have a feeling that the teams just got a ride from Narita to Shibuya, unlike the first time they visited in TAR9 (where the teams had to get a car from the nearby Hotel Nikko and drive themselves to Tokyo)

* The "vending machine" parking lot was at the POLA Shibuya Building, located at  1-25-21 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo. Just a 3 minute walk north from the Shibuya station.
http://www.n-p-d.co.jp/search/003/005/post_58.html

* Right before Jaime/Cara had that side-view mirror accident, the blue road sign (NOTE to Peach, can you help me post the screen cap for this road sign?) showed that they were headed westbound under Shuto Expressway #3, headed for Route 246 towards Atsugi, 300m before the intersection with Yamate-dori (to the left, Gotanda, to the right, Hatsudai). This is near Dougenzaka, so they were just on their way out of the Shibuya-area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E5%8D%97%E5%B9%B3%E5%8F%B0%E7%94%BA&aq=&sll=35.654158,139.693136&sspn=0.012414,0.009506&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Japan,+Tokyo+Shibuya%E5%8D%97%E5%B9%B3%E5%8F%B0%E7%94%BA&z=14
Not sure if the collision happened there. Probably not too far ahead. If anyone wants to check out the Google Street View and match up the caps, go for it!

* We knew from the TAR18 Live Sightings thread that the teams were going to go to the Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine in Kamakura.  Yabusame is held annually on September 16, so this ritual was a bit off season - nonetheless, the *Yabusame Baba*, as it is formally called, is located within the grounds.
http://www.hachimangu.or.jp/about/guidance/top.html <-- on this map, see the big Torii gate on the west side of the map, you'll see the phrase 流鏑馬馬場.
http://www.hachimangu.or.jp/about/guidance/cont02.html <-- top left picture

* The Daiyuzan Station is the terminus for the Izu Hakone Daiyuzan Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daiy%C5%ABzan_Line
From Kamakura, Kisha/Jen went north, probably upto the Atsugi IC, to get on the Tomei Expressway West bound.  They probably got off at the Ooi Matsuda IC, which is the closest to the Daiyuzan Station.

* You saw the guesses on the rice paddies where the teams did the Frog of Luck Detour.  The Prayer for Purity Detour was probably at the Yuhi-no-taki (sunset falls), near Yagura-dake Peak and Kintoki-Yama, known for the legend of Kintaro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintar%C5%8D
Yuhi-no-taki: http://www.city.minamiashigara.kanagawa.jp/kankou/spot/yuuhino_taki.html  
Compare this shot with the screencaps --> http://march-drivestation.seesaa.net/upload/detail/image/yuuhinotaki1-thumbnail2.jpg.html
You can say this is in the foothills of Mt. Fuji, but then again, there are a bunch of mountains around there, most notably the Hakone peak just south of this area.  (Speculation) Hakone is known for its hot springs and lavish resorts, so I wouldn't be surprised if the teams stayed there for the pit stop.

Just some notes. I hope you find this helpful.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:49:30 AM by kenchan »
「超たのしい~!♪」
-Tyler McNiven riding a fold-up bike in the night streets of Tokyo, TAR9

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:22 AM »
Regarding the collision, I found the location!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%BD%E7%9B%AE%E9%BB%92%E5%8C%BA%E9%9D%92%E8%91%89%E5%8F%B01-30-10&aq=&sll=35.67438,139.666893&sspn=0.012481,0.009506&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Japan,+T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D-to+Meguro-ku%E9%9D%92%E8%91%89%E5%8F%B0%EF%BC%91%E4%B8%81%E7%9B%AE%EF%BC%93%EF%BC%90%E2%88%92%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%90&ll=35.646224,139.692428&spn=0.012415,0.017681&z=16&layer=c&cbll=35.646184,139.6966&panoid=-GPinIzmRHQvOo5YuCy5rw&cbp=12,72.91,,0,17.19

In the background, behind the man on the cellphone, was a store called "Hanko-ya-san 21", a chain store that makes family name stamps on order.
The store website is here:
http://standard2.pmx.proatlas.net/x7349m21/user_page.php?id=x7349m21&c=35/38/34.386,139/42/0.242&layer=1&t=%E3%81%AF%E3%82%93%E3%81%93%E5%B1%8B%E3%81%95%E3%82%93%EF%BC%92%EF%BC%91%E3%80%80%E4%B8%AD%E7%9B%AE%E9%BB%92%E5%BA%97&pos=I1:P35/38/34.386,139/42/0.242&tx=%E3%80%92153-0042%0D%0A%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%BD%E7%9B%AE%E9%BB%92%E5%8C%BA%E9%9D%92%E8%91%89%E5%8F%B01-30-10%0D%0ATEL%EF%BC%9A03-5768-3212%0D%0AFAX%EF%BC%9A03-5768-3213

Jaime/Cara were headed south east on the Yamate-dori in Aobadai near Nakameguro.  This is in the direction of the Meguro-dori, which is yet another way to get on the Daisan Keihin Expway (the road the Ron/Chris took from the Tamagawa IC), but would be a bit slower... The road sign that was shown right before this - that I mentioned earlier - was probably indeed taken right before they took a left turn onto Yamate-dori. I wonder if they were trying to get on the Meguro-dori to get on the Daisan-Keihin?  If so, that's a bit of a roundabout way, as the Meguro-dori would have lots of stop lights.

So clearly they were lost when this happened.  Had they gone straight through that intersection, they would have found Route 246, which would have gotten them to the Tamagawa IC to get on the Daisan Keihin Expway, just like Ron/Chris did earlier.  That was a COSTLY LEFT TURN at Dougenzaka.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:45:13 AM by kenchan »
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
Quote from: kenchan
I have a feeling that the teams just got a ride from Narita to Shibuya
Yes, that's right. Although the editing wanted us to think the garage was somewhere near the terminal, for a few frames you can see the airport taxis lined up at Shibuya.
About Natural Lawsons/Hanko, maybe that's just the place they exchanged information and talked to police.

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
About Natural Lawsons/Hanko, maybe that's just the place they exchanged information and talked to police.

I thought the victim's car was not moving at the time - or was it? Nonetheless, that location is almost 1km away from the Shuto Expressway #3/Rt 246 intersection with Yamate-dori. I would think they stopped right after hitting that man's side view mirror...
「超たのしい~!♪」

Offline kenchan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »
Does anybody recognize these plates?   :lol3:

YES, TAR15 at the LA River! The license plates on the fence.
「超たのしい~!♪」