Author Topic: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)  (Read 95340 times)

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
So, it was two legs, with no rest period inbetween? Then why no penalty for Jet & Cord??

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
It really reminded me of several seasons past.......TAR6, TAR11, TAR14......go to some place.....do several route info clues.....take a number for release time the next day.......

The main difference was the faux Pit Stop.....it was just there to give out the Express pass........Doing it that way would give the Automatic U Turn team the possibility of getting the Express Pass.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »
So, it was two legs, with no rest period inbetween? Then why no penalty for Jet & Cord??

Because it was a TBC, not a NEL with a speedbump.

"keep on racing" does not come with a speedbump.

BUT these "new" kind of TBC's with a greeter will count in the schedule as two legs.

We may need some new race terminology here...who wants to make a catchy title for these?? KOR?? :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »

This is a double leg. For lack of a better term it could be called a TBC, version 2.

I don't know how to say it any better....

Hee, sorry Peach.  Either I'm confused by what you're saying, or I disagree with you....

We just watched the end of Leg 2, right?  Leg 1 ended on Shelley Beach...right?

At the starting line, Phil said, "The first team to check into the Pit Stop at the end of this first leg of the race will win the Express Pass". The clue given the teams after the sailing task said "Make your way to the Pit Stop" and " the last team to check in may be eliminated". Phil introduced Shelley Beach on camera as the Pit Stop. The chyron said "Pit Stop". Gary & Mallory arrived first and received the Express Pass. How could that not be the Pit Stop and therefore the end of the leg??

As I saw it, the episode was "To be Continued" not the leg. The leg ended on Shelley Beach when teams checked in. There was just no "Mandatory Rest Period", the second leg began immediately.

If that's the case, I don't understand why the last team to check in didn't receive a penalty, regardless of who that team is. No, I dont believe TPTB changed things to save the Cowboys. I just think it was bad planning and a missed opportunity.

They knew that there would be a team facing the Automatic U-turn in this leg. Giving a (deserved) Speed Bump to the last team to check in on Leg 1 would have at least given more of a chance for the U-Turn team to survive and would have added another element of suspense. Or, at the very least, I would have expected them to include a regular U-Turn so that there was the possibility of 2 teams facing it. 2 teams dealing with penalties adds much more drama, and since a penalty was in order, I dont understand why it was done the way it was.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:41:41 PM by MamaT »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »
I think we are saying the same thing with different words.

Yes.  2 episodes.  But this was a double leg...what used to be called a TBC, 2 back to back legs...  So no nice stop in between. No SpeedBump, no penalty for being last because this is a continuation.

Maybe the problem is our use of the words " legs" and "episodes" interchangeably?

In any case, all semantics. :lol: We need a new title for these!! :jam:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
I just went to look back at the picture of the Wiki page I took back in November 25, 2010. The results someone updated then were almost entirely correct, with the exception of Margie & Luke and Kisha & Jen switching places at the end of Leg 1.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
I just went to look back at the picture of the Wiki page I took back in November 25, 2010. The results someone updated then were almost entirely correct, with the exception of Margie & Luke and Kisha & Jen switching places at the end of Leg 1.

Someone saw the spoilers here and put it onto wiki. Fairly easy to do.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
While I would like to think the first two episodes this season are an uberleg, I'm siding with the two legs with no rest period interpretation.

Why?

First Phil said there were 12 legs before he released the teams in Palm Springs.

Second, the clue directing teams to Shelly Beach made reference to a pit stop and that the last team to arrive may be eliminated.

Third, the Express Pass was award at the end of this leg, as it was at the end of the first leg of TAR 17.

The only difference is that there was no rest period between legs 1 and 2.

So while these first two legs emulated an uberleg to the extent that we're debating the issue, I still think that unless we find there are to be 13 episodes and 13 hours, then the 12 legs cover 12 episodes and 12 hours (as reported by The Futon Critic).

The other thing to keep in mind is that WRP has all but abandoned a standard rest period or 24 hour multiples. We've increasingly had odd-length rest periods, and increasingly, we don't even get told what the departure times are for particular legs. So given that, two legs with no rest period inbetween, as opposed to an uberleg, was due to happen. (You will note teams weren't even given money amounts for these first two legs, or at least I never heard any amounts or saw any teams with US dollars at any point in either Palm Springs or on Shelly Beach.

(I will note that Masem, who does the primary editing of the Wikipedia pages on TAR has changed their assessment and are now treating Shelley Beach as the end of the first leg, and Broken Hill as the end of the second.)

One other point on the TBC -- we had a similar issue during TARAS in Poland, where some teams began the next leg before the trailing teams completed the first leg in Poland. I think that may be the most pertinent precedent for how these two episodes were edited.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
I still think that unless we find there are to be 13 episodes and 13 hours, then the 12 legs cover 12 episodes and 12 hours (as reported by The Futon Critic by RFF).

Fixed.

I like that assessment, nice explanation. Again, I think we need a  new term, as the old TBC/Uberleg/NEL descriptions no longer fit exactly any more.

Except I do want to say that 12 legs and 12 hours was not reported first by The Futon Critic. It was first reported by RFF right here and actually even a few days before:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23692.msg583345.html#msg583345

And being last to get the paper airplanes as the determining point of the "Automatic U-Turn" was reported first here, and not last to the Mat as ABC reported.

We have very accurate spoilers this season, let's enjoy them and be proud of what we have here. :tup:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
[Please TARgods, replay this episode like you did the premiere since I came home from work and accidentally deleted it before getting to watch it  :'( ]

Looks like it was fun, though!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
Peach. I don't doubt that the 12 episodes was reported here first, but TFC relies on materials released by the networks in their listings for all of the programs, both broadcast and cable, currently on air; I referenced them because they rely on industry sources, and I viewed it as a confirmation.

At the moment, they're showing 12 episodes, with the final two episodes being back to back on May 8th. I'm not aware that anyone else has shown that tidbit of information. And if CBS changes their plans, I suspect they'll know there as soon as anyone.
-- theschnauzers

Offline eddiethejet

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:41 AM »
this is the description of the confusion over the first leg.

Leg 1 was a double-length leg shown over the course of two episodes, with only one Roadblock and one Detour. The Express Pass was awarded to the team who came in first at the midpoint, rather than at the first Pit Stop.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:07 AM »
I couldn't believe it that Kent knew the periodic table and was able to recognise the elements immediatelly. Who could have expected this?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2011, 03:32:42 AM »
I couldn't believe it that Kent knew the periodic table and was able to recognise the elements immediatelly. Who could have expected this?

Not me. Now we know what else the goths are good at. I'm growing to like them more and more each episode!

Offline thespicdatum

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2011, 04:06:42 AM »
Damn, Im routing for Chris and Amanda and they're the firsts to go.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2011, 09:14:16 AM »
I think it was totally unfair that Christina and her father Ronald were allowed to talk in a foriegn language at that"spiritual" challenge.

Although i didnt see it giving any other contestant any advantage, leaking of info or showing them how/why they were doing thier puzzle.. what  if they do it  thru the race? :duno: 

can anyone tell me if it's against the rules?

zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
I think it was totally unfair that Christina and her father Ronald were allowed to talk in a foriegn language at that"spiritual" challenge.

Although i didnt see it giving any other contestant any advantage, leaking of info or showing them how/why they were doing thier puzzle.. what  if they do it  thru the race? :duno: 

can anyone tell me if it's against the rules?

Why would speaking another language (Chinese, to be exact) be breaking a race rule?? It's just Margie and Luke using sign language, which nobody else knows?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
Vyxsin knows sign language.

Sorry ugot, I don't really get what the problem is. Tammy and Victor used their knowledge of Chinese to assist them in TAR14. Other teams have known other languages and used them. I don't think that being able to understand the other teams is a right the racers have.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
I will attempt here to guesstimate the timing of each transportation task or DETOUR around greater Broken Hill. I am letting the chips fall where they may and not trying to make a case for how a 8 hour stop can easily be accomplished (although that may be my conclusion) before train depature at 1830. We start with the arrival of those flights at 0755 and 0820. One key piece of information is where the clubhouse of the rugby team Magpies (it says "football league" but this is Australian rules rugby to my eyes). I have them at Warnock St. adjacent to Memorial Oval off Williams St. where Central "Football" League games are played.

Get self-drive car   5 minutes
Self-drive 7km north to Broken Hill central business district  7 minutes
Get directions from locals for road to Living Desert 5 to 10 minutes
Self-drive 11km to Living Desert 11 minutes
Spirit World DETOUR (note - with overlap we know this must take at least 25 minutes) 30 to 40 minutes
Natural World DETOUR (Amanda/Kris only, although it appeared to be much quicker than Spirit World) 10 minutes
Self-drive back to Magpies dressing room on /warnock St.south side of Barrier Highway slightly east of Gypsum St.  11km 11 minutes
Don kangaroo costumes 5 minutes
Find out what and where Bismuth and Mercury St. intersection is and hop there, 3000 feet away  15 to 25 minutes  
Self-drive to pit stop at Junction Mine,  Menindee St. (goes along east side of central business district)- quickest route is Gympsum St. South to Silver City Highway east to Iodide St. north one block, pick up Barrier Highway on southeast side of CBD going east, to south on Menindee St. I estimate 3 miles and 10 minutes for the quickest, double that for slower teams  10 to 20 minutes

That gives a range of 99 to 134 minutes. When added to the plane arrivals, that gives pit stop arrival of 934am to 1054am. Add in a pit stop of up to 11 hours and maybe 5 minutes after pit stop release to get to train station and teams can easily make the 1830 train.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:52:45 AM by apskip »

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
I will attempt here to guesstimate the timing of each transportation task or DETOUR around greater Broken Hill. I am letting the chips fall where they may and not trying to make a case for how a 8 hour stop can easily be accomplished (although that may be my conclusion) before train depature at 1830. We start with the arrival of those flights at 0755 and 0820. One key piece of information is where the clubhouse of the rugby team Magpies (it says "football league" but this is Australian rules rugby to my eyes). I have them at Warnock St. adjacent to Memorial Oval off Williams St. where Central "Football" League games are played.

Spirit World DETOUR (note - with overlap we know this must take at least 25 minutes) 30 to 40 minutes
Natural World DETOUR (Amanda/Kris only, although it appeared to be much quicker than Spirit World) 10 minutes

This agrees with my thinking when I was watching the show. I was sure most of the teams would go for the Natural World as it looked much quicker although putting the paint in your mouth and spraying it was potentially disgusting. How long could it take to spit paint around a few stencils? I was really surprised when everyone went after the Spirit World detour as it looked much fussier. Judging by the teams that didn't copy it right the first time and didn't dance on the painting at first, it was.

Offline mrmando

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #220 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
Were the teams' self-drive cars moved to Mercury & Bismuth for them? It didn't look as though they had to go back to the football club after finding the clue box.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: February 28, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
Very very very jumbled imagery whilst teams were still in Sydney. Scenes of teams were shown running in Sydney and then getting on a ferry in Manly and then the ferry departing from Sydney??? WTF

also teams went to the maritime museum on the other side of the pyrmont bridge. This explains things!!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
Were the teams' self-drive cars moved to Mercury & Bismuth for them? It didn't look as though they had to go back to the football club after finding the clue box.

It was a little odd now that you mention it...good eye, mrmando!
Their cars may have been moved from the stadium to the intersection. But like he said a lot of creative editing.

Happy 700th post, BayBay!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:13:58 PM by The Prophet »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
Thanks!! The taxi scenes were hilarious as a Sydneysider because one second they were in Manly next second in Chinatown and then at Darling Harbour hahaha

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
mrmando:
As seen in Neobie's amazing maps (http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23751.msg593603.html#msg593603), the high school is only about one kilometer from the intersection of Mercury and Bismuth, so moving the cars would not have been very hard.