Author Topic: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)  (Read 95109 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
That's what I thought too. However peach says no and it doesn't make sense for the cowboys to be U-turned and still survive in BH.

well, the cowboys are known to overcome obstacles and come on top.

I know, but Peach says otherwise.

According to our friend at the train station in Sydney; when they did the Pit Start the cowboys left in third. I don't believe that anyone can do a Uturn and arrive in third place.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
I really hate to state the obvious........but in TAR 15......when the teams found the right license plate, they took it to Phil, who was standing on the mat. So there must be a mat out at the windmills, where teams take the correct paper airplane. The last team to find the correct paper airplane and go see Phil on the mat will get the Automatic U Turn.

Then head to LAX to fly to Sydney.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »
I really hate to state the obvious........but in TAR 15......when the teams found the right license plate, they took it to Phil, who was standing on the mat. So there must be a mat out at the windmills, where teams take the correct paper airplane. The last team to find the correct paper airplane and go see Phil on the mat will get the Automatic U Turn.

Thank you Doc! I think you just solved the problem!
Only...the Express Pass will most likely not be given out there as well, so...

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »

As Peach has said several times, the winner of the FIRST LEG will get the Express Pass.......just like in TAR17. It really isnt that confusing. All we have to go on is that TPTB use the same rules as in TAR17.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

As Peach has said several times, the winner of the FIRST LEG will get the Express Pass.......just like in TAR17. It really isnt that confusing. All we have to go on is that TPTB use the same rules as in TAR17.

Define the end of the first leg...the TBC point or the Broken Hill mat.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
Okay...guess we'll have to see? I was under the impression it was the start line task that was the determining factor...but perhaps that is only for the flights? :duno:

But I still think it was find the airplane.... and DrRox's Mat idea would allow both ABC and me to be right! :funny:

And first leg is the first leg, which ends in Manly. As I posted back in December :lol:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:21:54 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »
Okay...guess we'll have to see? I was under the impression it was the start line task that was the determining factor...but perhaps that is only for the flights? :duno:

But I still think it was find the airplane.... and DrRox's Mat idea would allow both ABC and me to be right! :funny:

And first leg is the first leg, which ends in Manly. As I posted back in December :lol:
So if the first leg ends in Manly, that means Gallory for the Express Pass, and the Automatic U-Turn is given at the paper aeroplanes, so we assume Amanda & Kris.

Hope that sums it up, but correct me if I'm wrong. :tup:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
Then how the TBC gets into the picture? If not a non-elimination leg? And then how did Jet & Cord overcome and finished third? (half the cast got penalties?) I'm  :duno:

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
Then how the TBC gets into the picture? If not a non-elimination leg? And then how did Jet & Cord overcome and finished third? (half the cast got penalties?) I'm  :duno:

It is a TBC (we have a pic of Phil on the mat with clues in the back of his pocket) but people here called it Leg 1 and Leg 2, and so on.

As for Jet & Cord going from last to 3rd, look at TAR16 Ep 1  :lol: they are very good at making up time!

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »
Never mind I found this on wiki

The Express Pass, introduced in the previous series, will return, allowing the team that places first in the first leg to skip any later task in the race. Additionally, the last team to arrive on the non-elimination first leg will be forced to complete a U-Turn in the next leg, performing both tasks of the leg's Detour.[8]

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12931037

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »

Define the end of the first leg...the TBC point or the Broken Hill mat.

Actually, however I define the end of a leg is irrelevant. What is revelant is just how World Race Productions defines a leg. Absent any written rule/definition from the TAR Big Book of Rules that teams receive, all we can do is look at what Phil has said and 17 seasons of empirical data.

You will really have to come up with your own definiton of a leg after looking at that data. You can write down the factors that "always" happen at the end of a leg and the factors that "always" happen at the start of a leg. Obviously, the start of leg 1 of a season and the finish line of a season are exceptions. But those two exceptions do not affect our analysis.

In Season 1 in Central Park, Phil really did explain it pretty well. He did not come right out and say, but he talked about elmination points and the money they are given and "when" they would get more money. Personally, I am a follower of the_schnauzers and his concept of the "Uberleg" when there is a TBC invovled.

The start of TAR18 is obviously complicated. I personally think the teams will hit the mat 3 times before the (Uber)Leg 1 is over. Once at the windmills to pass out the Automatic U Turn, once in Manley and end of leg mat and elmination at Broken Hill. Again, that is just my speculation. If WRP doesn't change from what they said at the start of TAR 17, then the team that arrives 1st in Broken Hill will receive the Express Pass, by my analysis. Now it is just time to sit back and see just what happens and enjoy the start.

We will have to see what Phil says tonight about when the team with the Automatic U Turn will have to use it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I think the first team to the Manly mat wins the Express Pass.....

This will be fun to see!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline connayyy

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
From ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12931037

Quote from: ABC News
[...]In the premiere, Keoghan informs the players that the last team to arrive on the mat will automatically face a U-turn, forcing the duo to perform both Detour challenges, while first-place finishers will receive the Express Pass, allowing a team to skip one task during the race.[...]

The article mentions the auto U-Turn and the Express Pass together, which seems to hint that they were given out at the same point? From that I would infer that the first person at the Manly mat received the Express Pass and the last person was hit with the Automatic U-Turn.

Of course, based on what we know about Amanda & Kris's elimination, it's more likely that the auto U-Turn happened after the paper airplanes task.

But Jet & Cord ARE very good at playing catch-up (going from last place to first place despite a Speed Bump in S16) so if I had to guess which team survived a U-Turn and came in 3rd, I would place my bet on them. Still that's probably wishful thinking since I'd hate to see Amanda & Kris go out because of a U-Turn again.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »
If there is a mat at the windmills, then both the Express Pass and Automatic U Turn could be passed out. If that happens, then WRP changed the way the Express Pass was won for TAR18 than it was won in TAR17.......no problem with that either.....but till it happens we just dont know.....but it does make prefect sense. It should really movtivate teams to look for that clue.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 02:51:50 PM »
The presence or absence pf a mid=po=int mat is not determinative of the presence of an uber-leg. TAR 6 didn't have one, TAR 9 didn't have one, TAR 10 had a mid-point mat that wasn't an uber-leg.  So that factor, and Phil's presence, isn't determinative.

Until recent seasons, it was possible to use the cash distribution point at the beginning of a leg to help identify uber-legs. However, IIRC, there have been a couple of instances where teams did receive additional money at those mid-points.

The more determinative factor seems to be the presence of multiple detours and roadblocks. Yes, we had the one leg with two roadblocks and no detours in Beijing, but if we focus on the total number of such tasks, then it becomes less of a hiccup.  But then, we've had both roadblocks and detours edited in such a way that they were presented on-air as if they were general "active" route marker tasks, so we can't always count on those.

But in general, the uber-leg has usually involved two detours and two roadblocks, with a midpoint where either Phil or the clue, without Phil being present, instructs the teams to continue racing. Whether the Manly midpoint introduces something different we'll have to see tonight.  Also, if Phil uses "the mat" and not "pit stop" that may be a clue that the uber-leg mid-point is being used to determine who gets the Express Pass and the automatic U-Turn. We do have to stop thinking in terms of "the mat" meaning "arriving at the Pit Stop." We've known since TAR 7 that the two no longer always mean the same thing,
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:56:42 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
The preview is up here:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24713.msg589559.html#msg589559

ALL the promos and videos will be in that 3rd post, so do look there when you want to look for a new promo!! :hearts:

caps to follow in a bit...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »

We of course have known for 2+ months that there were 12 legs and the full route!! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
I dunno, we knew there were 12 segments, but there was an ongoing debate about these first two segments in Oz.

And btw, who wasn't surprised to see the Lord Mayor of Sydney (greeter in Sydney leg of TAR 2) make a return appearance?

-- theschnauzers

Offline tarobbsessed24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »
comment on ron and chris
its looks like CHRISTINA is nagging :O still like them
and poor mike :(

and lol at the related videos

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
As I mentioned in the episode thread, there is no uberleg. What we have is two legs with no rest period between them; a development that's been coming for a while with the elimination of mentioning the standard 12-hour rest periods at pit stops.

So Phil isn't misleading anyone when he said "pit stop," and he did say this Race has 12 legs. The TBC card at the end is a little misleading, but that is being used only because of putting the Cowboys arrival at the mat for the first pit stop into next week's episode.

So, if this is not an überleg, that means that Jet & Cord will incur a Speed Bump if they're not eliminated, right?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
Most likely, but then we won't know for sure one way or the other about any NEL penalties until next week.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:25 PM »
Preview of episode 2 caps:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
Well, at least we know what time Jet was there! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:18 AM »
Caps 5 & 6, person standing in the far background. Grey shirt.

G'day mate!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
Caps 5 & 6, person standing in the far background. Grey shirt.

G'day mate!
:yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:

That makes 4 RFFers seen this year on TAR!!!  :hearts:

and don't ask cuz I ain't telling!! :lol3:

I have much better caps on the way later...will take a much closer look!! :wohoo:
RFF's Golden Rule: