Author Topic: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)  (Read 95115 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

I am curious on this point: Why didn't the first-at-pseudo-pit stop teams (Gary/Mallory, Amanda/Kris, LaKisha/Jen) get on the 10/22 Regional Express flight departing Sydney 1820 and arriving Broken Hill 2010? The only explanations could be that the flights were full, World Race Productions gave speecific directions on which flight or teams had to do tasks in Sydney that lasted too long to make that flight. The third makes the most sense. It is clear from the photo that all 11 teams are on the Regional Express signup lists. My information has ZL9578 scheduled to depart at 0605 (not 0600) and to arrive at 0755 and ZL9596 to depart 0630 and arrive 0820. The first 6 teams would have had an advantage of 25 minutes if on schedule. 

At the time....in real time, we were not really sure where they were going. Some inside reports said Broken Hill and some other inside reports said Melbourne. At the time, the two flights they actually flew on to Broken Hill did not appear in the data tables. In looking at Rex Regional Airlines flight schedules.......the one plane scheduled the next day was too small to hold the number of people that would be flying there. I think it was RichinSydney or one of his buddies that finally found those two charter flights on the Kingston International Airport list of departure flights for the next day. WRP chartered those two flights for the next day and the signup sheet was for which teams got on each flight. If you look in the historical data for the week before and the week after.....those two flights never appear. They only flew on that day, reinforcing the idea that they were charter flights for WRP. It would take two of their largest planes, that Saab, to get all the people there. If I remember right, they hold about 35 passengers. Eleven teams of 4 equal at least 44 people.

Anyway.....that was what happened as I can remember it. If you go to the Live Sightings thread, you can see the discussions we had at the time.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »
Roadblock at the mine? Jet looks clean, and Cord looks like he's been crawling in the dirt.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Roadblock at the mine? Jet looks clean, and Cord looks like he's been crawling in the dirt.

I thought there wasn't a RB.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
Just thinking out loud; maybe Cord fell during some task.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Just thinking out loud; maybe Cord fell during some task.

Perhaps.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »
I have been looking at GE and photos around the Junction Mine which is the Pit Stop. I just dont see any red dirt. I dont know if CBS has colorized that photo with red tints or what. There appears to be red dirt at the diggeroo deal. All the dirt around the Junction Mine is grey or gray....however you spell it.

That certainly does look like a Pit Stop sprint by the Cowboys though.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
Idk if you know but according to CBS's schedule there will be a repeat of TAR's 18 premiere on this saturday, february 26th

http://www.cbs.com/info/schedule/index.php

Nice!
It also shows us the title for ep3:
Amazing Race: Unfinished Business (18)
We Had a Lot of Evil Spirits Apparently (Japan)

Well there is a classic Mel/Mike quote.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Well there is a classic Mel/Mike quote.

Since they are speculated to be eliminated, it could be a Pit Stop quote.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »

Cord looks like he is limping, maybe he fell?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
It seems to me that unless we're all wrong about the number of episodes, then thiere was not an uberleg. But two legs, with no rest period between pitstops. That is a new wrinkle, but one that's been developing the last few seasons as the show has dropped all references to the 12-hour rest period at pit stops.

Why?

Phil described the race as having 12 legs.

He described the winner of the express pass as the first to arive at the first pit stop, which did happen in this leg.

He described the beach location as a "pit stop" greeted the first ten teams as X to arrive" and the clue directing teams there warned that the last team to arrive "may" be eliminated.

So what we have is a regular first leg (with just a roadblock and no detour.

Conclusion: There is no uberleg this season, although WRP did a good job in emulating an uberleg in Sydney.

I agree with the thrust of theschnauzers' comments. However, if there was no pit stop time lag, why did teams not get on the 620pm flight to Broken Hill? Also, why was there a greeter? Typically if there is a greeter then it's not a TBC. Phil promised surprises, so I guess having a TBC with a greeter is something new. I believe that teams find a HOH that works effectively like a pit stop.  

The times of the flights the next day to Broken Hill may have been set so as to assure that all teams completed the first leg and could be gathered for making the charter flights to Broken Hill. It might have had to do with daylight flying conditions (in the US that's known as VFR flight rules) or that the additional aircraft needed for the teams and crews weren't going to be available and in position until that next day. Or they may have not planned to have teams in Broken Hill until the next morning.

From what I recall from the live sightings, the teams gathered at Town Hall (IIRC), and signed in there for the flights. We do know Jet/Cord lagged behind the other teams getting to that spot (after sunset?) and I suspect that didn't cause the next morning flights, but that WRP planned for having a later time for teams to complete the first leg than was actually needed.

We'll know for sure, I suppose, once we hear what Phil tells the Cowboys at Shelly Beach. But for the moment, I think we're dealing with two legs and a no length pit stop rest period.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
I have been looking at GE and photos around the Junction Mine which is the Pit Stop. I just dont see any red dirt. I dont know if CBS has colorized that photo with red tints or what. There appears to be red dirt at the diggeroo deal. All the dirt around the Junction Mine is grey or gray....however you spell it.

That certainly does look like a Pit Stop sprint by the Cowboys though.

I was still under the assumption that they would check-in in :roo attire. I think they are at the Living Desert, it is really the only place they are going with the clay and the brush that you see in the caps. See below.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:13:01 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
It seems to me that unless we're all wrong about the number of episodes, then thiere was not an uberleg. But two legs, with no rest period between pitstops. That is a new wrinkle, but one that's been developing the last few seasons as the show has dropped all references to the 12-hour rest period at pit stops.

Why?

Phil described the race as having 12 legs.

He described the winner of the express pass as the first to arive at the first pit stop, which did happen in this leg.

He described the beach location as a "pit stop" greeted the first ten teams as X to arrive" and the clue directing teams there warned that the last team to arrive "may" be eliminated.

So what we have is a regular first leg (with just a roadblock and no detour.

Conclusion: There is no uberleg this season, although WRP did a good job in emulating an uberleg in Sydney.

I agree with the thrust of theschnauzers' comments. However, if there was no pit stop time lag, why did teams not get on the 620pm flight to Broken Hill? Also, why was there a greeter? Typically if there is a greeter then it's not a TBC. Phil promised surprises, so I guess having a TBC with a greeter is something new. I believe that teams find a HOH that works effectively like a pit stop. 

The times of the flights the next day to Broken Hill may have been set so as to assure that all teams completed the first leg and could be gathered for making the charter flights to Broken Hill. It might have had to do with daylight flying conditions (in the US that's known as VFR flight rules) or that the additional aircraft needed for the teams and crews weren't going to be available and in position until that next day. Or they may have not planned to have teams in Broken Hill until the next morning.

From what I recall from the live sightings, the teams gathered at Town Hall (IIRC), and signed in there for the flights. We do know Jet/Cord lagged behind the other teams getting to that spot (after sunset?) and I suspect that didn't cause the next morning flights, but that WRP planned for having a later time for teams to complete the first leg than was actually needed.

We'll know for sure, I suppose, once we hear what Phil tells the Cowboys at Shelly Beach. But for the moment, I think we're dealing with two legs and a no length pit stop rest period.

Usually on an uberleg there is an overnight stay somewhere involved by way of transport or HoO. The flight to Broken Hill not being until the next morning may also serve that purpose.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
I wonder why Amanda & Kris are on the second flight? They left the TBC pit-stop in 2nd. Was there the detour in Sydney before they left for Broken Hill?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
It looks like about the only thing to see at the Living Desert is the Sculpture Symposium. Here you can see the walking path that goes around them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Racers visit it.

Or there's always a desert searching task like TAR15 in Dubai. Unless this is just a clue pickup point in which case I have no clue where they do the Detour.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:59:44 PM by The Prophet »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

Again, I recommend looking at the AR18 Transportation Primary Options thread for the answer on why such early flights. Work backward from the twice weekly Indian Pacific Railroad scheduled departure at 1830 on Tuesday 11/23. What is needed if there is an 8 hour pit stop in Broken Hill? You can conclude that checking into the Broken Hill pit stop by 1015am is required. So both of the 11/23 flights into Broken Hill must arrive soon enough to allow that. Hence departures at 605am (or 600am; it doesn't matter) and 630am for flights arriving 1 hour 55 minutes later. That means all tasks have to be completed in less than 2 hours for the second flight teams or the pit stop must be less than 8 hours.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
Reason for assumption about checking-in in :roo

The Amazing Race is in Broken Hill NSW (Australia) today. They had to get a clue from the Memorial Oval , dress as Kangaroos with big bouncy shoes and bounce to my street (Mercury Street) for their next clue. Then they were off to the Junction Mine in their Four Wheel Drives. So funny seeing them bounce around dressed as Kangaroos. Does anyone know when this new Season will be aired??

Also:

FB:
ok well my day has been exciting enough im ova it now followed the amazing race pplz around got a lil bit of footage of their first task at the living desert....and i got big ease on video and a photo...but im spewing i didnt get the photo of the cowboys....
8 minutes ago

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
What is needed if there is an 8 hour pit stop in Broken Hill? You can conclude that checking into the Broken Hill pit stop by 1015am is required. So both of the 11/23 flights into Broken Hill must arrive soon enough to allow that. Hence departures at 605am (or 600am; it doesn't matter) and 630am for flights arriving 1 hour 55 minutes later. That means all tasks have to be completed in less than 2 hours for the second flight teams or the pit stop must be less than 8 hours.

There is no Pitstop in Broken Hill. It is a "rolling" Pitstop on the train.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
Just to amplify what Peach said.......the leg was finished by 1 pm. The teams then went to a local bar/restaurant and hung out till they left about 6 pm to go catch the train to Sydney........this is all in the Live Sightings thread I believe.

Teams finished in Broken Hill between noon and 1230 pm........then released in Sydney after overnight train ride rolling starting at noon. So I guess you could say the Pit Stop was approx 24 hours.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:14:08 PM by DrRox »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2011, 05:13:31 AM »
Peach I went on a little walk of Central station today and have some photos and what not that need discussing  :lol:
So open the Episode 3 THREAD!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2011, 07:45:46 AM »
Peach I went on a little walk of Central station today and have some photos and what not that need discussing  :lol:
So open the Episode 3 THREAD!!!

Done...but be sure it relates to ep 3 and not 2. Can't wait!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
CAPS!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
There was just a short promo on CBS at 8:59:30 approx.......I believe it showed the Globes running to the Pit Stop mat wearing the kangeroo suites. The audio seems to be them yelling at Phil.

Peach........are not BayBay pics 2,3,4,5 part of Ep 3?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »
Yes darn it all. :groan:

Moved.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:41:02 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
There was just a short promo on CBS at 8:59:30 approx.......I believe it showed the Globes running to the Pit Stop mat wearing the kangeroo suites. The audio seems to be them yelling at Phil.

Is that EST or Central time? If anyone captured it and wants to send it to me, I can cap it...
RFF's Golden Rule: