Author Topic: The X Factor US: Season 1 - SEASON OVER!  (Read 50502 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: The X Factor US: Season 1 First Live Show Tonight!
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Spoilers:

So far Dexter Haygood and the Brewer Boys have been sent home
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: The X Factor US: Season 1 First Live Show Tonight!
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »
Spoilers:

Simon got rid of Tiah Tolliver and Simone Battle

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: The X Factor US: Season 1
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
I liked this episode a lot. Most of the performances were really good and the ones that needed to go home were obvious. I did not disagree with any of the choices. The Top 12 is going to be really strong, it reminds me of the glory days of AI when almost every contestant was really good.
I also liked the format where they made a decision on elimination right away. I expected a little more drama and commercials, but it was very concise. I'll bet even apskip was impressed with that :lol:

Next week should be fun!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »
I am always impressed by conciseness, just as you predict. I did not watch this episode because I am not watching any more of X-Factor except maybe the final finals. You have to want to run the marathon otherwise. I went through this for the less-hyped America's got Talent and The Voice, but there is no need for me to do so for X-Factor.

"The X Factor" continues with a two-hour performance episode at 8 p.m. on Tuesday November 2 and one finalist will be sent home during the hour-long results episode on Wednesday November 3. There are 6 more weeks after, so it is obvious that the average number of eliminations per week has to rise from 1 to almost 2 after that.

Prophet, you only listed 4 eliminations (Tiah Tolliver, Simone Battle, Dexter Haygood, Brewer Boys, Philip Lomax). I think you inadvertently forgot to report Philip Lomax, who would have been the number of singers/groups down to the necessary 12. I will also say that each of those 5 singers or groups was pretty weak compared to others in their category in earlier rounds except for Philip, so all of those eliminations except possibly Philip's were justified.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
I listed his elimination down here:

Astro is leagues ahead of the other boys. :lol:

Who made it through:
Astro
Chris
Marcus

Phillip was sent home

And the live performance show is on Wednesday not Tuesday. :tup:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:12:35 AM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
These are the best of the night for me:

By far the best voice in the competition, Melanie is almost too good to believe. Simon obviously pulled out all the stops for her. She clearly deserves to win and that's saying a lot in this talented field. She could easily match up against the best AI winners.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3jPnV_2HZk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_3jPnV_2HZk</a>

Drew is also a really strong contender from the Girls category. This is a really poignant performance. I like how they changed the song around and made it sound like it should have been her way originally. Excellent.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VRxQ6MzpqNQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VRxQ6MzpqNQ</a>

And of course Stacy always does a really great job and could make a case for the final three.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZG8R0qaevE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PZG8R0qaevE</a>

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
Yup. November 2 (which is what I said) is Wednesday, not Tuesday (also what I said wrongly). I said that X-Factor will continnue on a Wednesday live performance show/Thursday Results show.

Prophet, I think you might be making an understated comparison when you say that the best of these singers match up against AI winners. I hope that they are better. Simon has his whole career bet on the X-Factor singers becoming his signed talent for the forseeable future.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
Good point, but it is hard to be better than Carrie Underwood and company in skills or success.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
How many Carrie Underwoods or Jennifer Hudsons has American Idol generated?

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2011, 12:59:03 AM »
What about Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry, and David Cook?  Love their music.  Jordan Sparks has also done well.  I'm sure there is more but that is all that come to mind now.

I'm still giving X Factor a chance.  I see potential in several at this point.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
I'm enjoying the show and I think they have found a number of interesting contestants and I'm grateful to them giving them a chance to make it in the entertainment world. Love Stacy Frances, love little Rachel Crow, LOVE LOVE LOVE Drew. What a beautiful voice she has. I'm also happy they brought back Melanie. I liked the Brewer Boys, maybe they can go to Disney and develop there. (I'm not being facetious about them, I thought they were cute and hoped they would stay longer.0
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Here's a link to watch:

it's not working anymore :(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:43:55 PM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
The Stereo Hogzz are first again

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
My review:

Stereo Hogzz:

They have a niche and a sound which is important. They are a more modern R&B boys band. They should be safe this week and several more.

Chris Rene:

I don't really get him. He is fine at what he does but I can't see him surviving for many weeks singing that same style over again.

Leroy Bell:

He has a great voice but almost no stage presence. I think he is just a very quiet person. I hope he makes it through but I have doubts about how he can relate to the audience.

Rachel Crow:

She is okay but Simon doesn't seem to be trying as hard with her. I know she will survive with her huge fan base, which may even be enough to put her in the finals. But I don't see any way that she deserves to win.

Lakoda Rayne:

I like their sound a lot. Their whole package is really very good and they give the Hogzz competition for the best group. They have probably gotten better each week. As a side note Paula is really not doing them any good. She is making them seem too cheesy which is the last thing they need. If they suffer demise they can blame Paula. They need to come out looking and acting different next week. But the singing is great.

Josh Krajcik:

I keep wanting to like him more and I know he is a great artist. But I think Nicole is messing him up. There really isn't a rocker in the group and I think that if he took that on he could be so much more memorable. I can't figure him out.

Melanie Amaro:

Everything she does is amazing. I think she was singing that in her sleep it was so effortless. Absolutely the front-runner. And scaled back performances like that just make you wonder what she will do when she really lets it loose over the course of the season.

Astro:

I personally thought his last week performance was better. I could get tired of him but I can also see myself liking him a lot if he can mix it up. Eventually the voters will grow weary of his repetitiveness.

InTENsity:

They are rather cheesy in all aspects. That said, I think they are doing their best. Unfortunately they have a low ceiling.

Drew:

I like her quite a bit. She is a really down to earth kid with a good voice which is a combo that makes you want to pull for her. I was impressed that Simon was impressed with her management skills. Last week's song was better than this one but I have a feeling she has some interesting things in store. She has a guaranteed successful career ahead of her for one thing.

Marcus Canty:

:duno: What to say? He is sort of stock. He has a good heart I guess. Not even really in the running to win.

Stacy Francis:

She does a great job at almost everything. This style does seem to suit her but it is a little old-fashioned. Her voice is unique and very good. I think she is improving but I really see her as a Melinda Doolittle. She will be great along the way and lose the final to the only better singer, Melanie.

Overall it is a really good group in the Top 12. I really look forward to this season. I'll predict Chris and InTENsity for the bottom two and the judges will keep Chris.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:16:19 PM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
DialIdol report:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
Those results are slightly surprising to me. Is Rachel going to maintain a lead by capturing the her generation who votes more? And it looks like hip-hop may not make in this format.
Also keep in mind that this report is not conclusive because it only takes in phone line voting, not texting or online voting. So a lot could change depending on how many are using the more modern technology. What I wonder is how many in the age group more likely to use those methods are watching.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:03:36 PM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
The results show starts at 8 EST and runs for an hour! :) I'll try to find a link to watch closer to the time.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
I'm not finding a link tonight.  :(

I was a little disappointed last night with Simon's song choice for Rachel. The song was too low for her to belt it out like she normally does and they should have kept the words true to the song. I love this girl, I wish someone else was mentoring her.

I'm wondering who will go home tonight, I thought everyone did well, no major horrible screw-ups. I thought Lakoda Rayne did great, I'm surprised to see them at the bottom of Dial Idol.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »
I can't either. :(

Bottom Two Spoiler: The Stero Hoggz and InTENsity.

TL, DialIdol does not count other voting methods. ;)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
Elimination Spoiler:

To no one's surprise InTENsity went home. Simon was the only one who favored keeping them over the Hogzz. The groups are just basically fodder for the first elims.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
Controversy:

FOX admitted to lip-syncing on its singing competition "The X Factor" after contestant Leroy Bell was heard singing on Thursday's episode before he even held his microphone to his mouth.

"All survival songs are performed live, with just a backing track," a show representative said in a statement to TheWrap. "For the group ensemble performance, the vocals are prerecorded to allow acts to concentrate on preparing for their own live competitive performances on Wednesdays -- this is also no different to what other competition shows do for ensemble performances."

That may be the case -- but "X Factor" got caught. The sight of Bell raising the mic to his mouth only after his voice was heard elicited scorn from fans online. He was performing as part of an opening medley, not in competition.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
The Top 11 Finalists, including Girls – Melanie Amaro, Rachel Crow and Drew; Boys – Astro, Marcus Canty and Chris Rene; Over 30s – LeRoy Bell, Stacy Francis and Josh Krajcik; and Groups – Lakoda Rayne and The Stereo Hogzz will perform songs from the movies LIVE tonight Wednesday, Nov. 9 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) on FOX. Be there as the remaining finalists battle it out for America’s votes, The X Factor title, a $5 million recording contract with Syco/Sony Music and an iconic Pepsi commercial.

Movie songs! :hearts:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
Here's a stream:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:50:00 PM by Prophet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
What's gone on so far:

I didn't see Stacy yet.

Marcus Canty was second. He is usually average but he was just a little better this time. He is nowhere close to the really big contenders but he shouldn't go home this week.

Drew was third. I still kind of like her, but she is falling into the trap of having her best performance behind her. It is really hard to tell if she should do something a little different or not. She has a niche but people might get tired of it.

Leroy Bell did better this week. He seemed to have more intensity and showmanship than he ever has. The good thing about him is that he is improving each week. He needs a new wardrobe though and to seem a tad more current.

Lakoda Rayne did quite well. They are the best group left and have been from the start. They could stand to be a little more harmonious but I think they are one of the six or seven here that have a successful future ahead.

Astro was next. I actually enjoyed his performance this week. He has real talent when it comes to rapping and is probably the best of the boys category. He is a likeable kid and like Simon said, he has the X Factor for sure.

Next was the great Melanie. She is the most consistently good in the competition, and has performed well in different genres each week. After three live shows I think she is the only one without a down week at all. Her sound and her journey so far remind me a lot of Jordin Sparks. She could and probably should win the show.

I didn't hear the Hogzz but they will probably be in the bottom 2 again.

Josh really improved but there is still an odd factor when it comes to him. I like his voice a lot but I still want him to do a real Daughtry style rock performance. The staging for him is always bizarre and his stage presence needs work but he has unique, interesting vocals.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
I'll write something about the rest of the performances later. Here are the DialIdol results:

So are Rachel's fans inconsistent with voting or is this thing a little haywire? I can see both of those being true.

That is a believable bottom 2 for me but the judges would never let Stacy go instead of Marcus. But remember there are many other voting methods now and they got the bottom 2 completely wrong last week so who knows.