Archive > Survivor 22: Redemption Island

Russell Hantz caught up in revealing Survivor Spoilers?

(1/3) > >>

ugot2bekidinmeny:
Survivor Redemption Island: Russell Hantz In Hot Water

Written by Muffins    
Tuesday, 01 February 2011 14:34  
Survivor Redemption Island

Russell Hantz In Hot Water
By Muffins

Survivor villain Russell Hantz is treading in some hot water just 2 weeks before CBS' Survivor 21: Redemption Island premieres. Spoiler information from Survivor: Samoa and Survivor Heroes VS Villains has been attributed to Hantz.

Our Sponsor

In August 2010 DJB, Inc, a company owned by Mark Burnett filed a lawsuit against John Doe for misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with contract. The lawsuit was filed in response to spoiler information that was posted online that accurately reported winners of competitions and order of elimination.

Attempts were made to keep the lawsuit low key - Survivor was not specifically mentioned in the filings, instead the show was identified as "a product that generates substantial interest among members of the public, and which releases information about the venture to the public on a periodic basis during business cycles. To protect the value of the business, it is vitally important that information about what is to be released to the public next in a particular business cycle be kept secret."

Authorities used IP address information to track the source of the spoilers that were posted on a reality TV fan forum under the name "missyae" to Jim Early.

The lawsuit against Early was dismissed without prejudice on January 13, 2011 after Early cooperated with authorities and identified Hantz as the source of the information that he posted. Early says that he and Hantz spoke on a number of occasions over the phone  and has also turned over emails from Hantz with key spoiler information.

Early revealed that he first contacted Hantz when the Survivor villain's private contact information was posted online during the airing of Survivor 19: Samoa. Early called the phone number to warn Hantz. The two spoke for awhile and Early gave Hantz his own phone number in case Hantz ever wanted to talk.

Hantz called Early that night and teased him with a few tidbits that Early posted online. When Hantz realized the attention that the information generated, he was hooked. As more accurate information was posted and then it began happening again during Survivor 20: Heroes VS Villains, fans began to speculate about Hantz's possible involvement. Hantz was the only contestant in both seasons of Survivor although it was believed that it was Hantz' wife who was actually providing the information.

Contestants on the reality show Survivor must sign a contract that includes a clause that states that contestants may not reveal the elimination of contestants and the selection of any winner" - the penalty for doing so is $5 million.

CBS' Survivor returns on February 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM ET to air Season 21 - Redemption Island.

http://www.******.com/index.php/cbs/264-survivor-redemption-island/10276-survivor-redemption-island-russell-hantz-in-hot-water

Spoiler Alert: Who's Allegedly Been Spoiling Survivor

According to the latest blog by Andy Dehnart at TheDailyBeast.com, Survivor Villain Russell Hantz had given results of Survivor Seasons 19 and 20 to message board poster, Jim Early, for the purpose leaking spoilers to the internet.

Survivor fan Jim Early was sued late 2010 by Survivor Creator Mark Burnett's company DJB Inc. for "misappropriation of trade secrets" and "tortious interference with contract." The lawsuit was dropped in January 2011 when Early gave up the identity of his Survivor spoiler source... Russell Hantz.

Andy Dehnart reports:

• Mark Burnett Productions and CBS sued Early for successfully spoiling Seasons 19 and 20.

• Early began talking to Russell Hantz on the phone, who would tease information. Once Hantz saw the attention the information got on the Survivor Sucks message boards, Early said, “he just started coming out and telling me what happened: who was leaving, who won challenges."

• The Survivor cast members’ contract states that contestants may not reveal "the elimination of contestants and the selection of any winner." The penalty for doing so is "liquidated damages" of $5 million.

• Lawyers, according to Early, were less interested in him that where he had gotten the information. "I gave him an email from Russell spoiling something,” Early said. “They were very happy to get that email, and I have many, many more."

• An email message provided to The Daily Beast by Early that he says is from Hantz identifies the elimination order of two Survivor Samoa contestants, while another message says Hantz will call Early with accurate information about the show.

• Early told The Daily Beast that he gave up Hantz and is talking about him now "because of his attitude about the whole thing, and because Russell tried to implicate another player, an innocent player, who wasn't giving information."

The implicated player in question was Shannon Elkins of Survivor Nicaragua.

We here at RealityGeek are curious if Russell can play any of his "immunity idols" in court?

Credit: Andy Dehnart and Click here for more on this developing story... TheDailyBeast.com

http://www.realitygeek.com/2011/02/spoiler-alert-whos-allegedly-been-spoiling-survivor.html

Reilly Queens:
Russell, you know he would sell you out with a 5 million fine :naughty:  :ftwr :rulz: :killme:

I can't wait to see this Reunion!!! or will he be invited to the reunion?

kiki:
I don't doubt that Russel was the one who blubbed, after all there was always the rumour that missyae was his wife Melanie. But missyae also spoiled Survivor Nicaragua, so Russel had so many informations about a season he did not participate ? Or maybe there is someone else too who gave informations? :duno:

phant0m:
"I give the greatest spoilers of all ti-i-i-ime!!"

georgiapeach:
Some Law professors are questioning whether the Survivor NDA clauses would stand up in court.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2011/02/survivor-contract-may-be-invalid.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version