Author Topic: TAR 18 Ep 1 "Head Down and Hold On" (Australia)  (Read 100365 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 18 Ep 1 "Head Down and Hold On" (Australia)
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
Im excited!!! :jumpy:

rooting For Gary & Mallory, however, I'm excited to see all my favorite teams race!!

Go Gallory!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Does anyone else feel like that the media is spoiling this season more than others seasons?  I mean, we practically know the entire first episode even without Coutzy's pictures.  In many press releases we have read the starting line task, the shark tank task, and more.  Plus the titles of episodes now with the location of the leg is new too.  Also, in interviews Phil has told some other locations that the show will go this season.

We always get some info in pre race interviews about locations and tasks, so prob nothing new.

But sometimes it does seem they give us what we have already spoiled! :lol:

And I will say again, I think the last team to get the start line task done is the one with the penalty...which may be slightly different than what the ABC article says...depending on whether or not Phil is on a MAT at the start line task....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Rather than retype what I've said in other threads this afternoon, I'm just going to quote myself, if you don't mind:

The presence or absence pf a mid-point mat is not determinative of the presence of an uber-leg. TAR 6 didn't have one, TAR 9 didn't have one, TAR 10 had a mid-point mat that wasn't an uber-leg.  So that factor, and Phil's presence, isn't determinative.

Until recent seasons, it was possible to use the cash distribution point at the beginning of a leg to help identify uber-legs. However, IIRC, there have been a couple of instances where teams did receive additional money at those mid-points.

The more determinative factor seems to be the presence of multiple detours and roadblocks. Yes, we had the one leg with two roadblocks and no detours in Beijing, but if we focus on the total number of such tasks, then it becomes less of a hiccup.  But then, we've had both roadblocks and detours edited in such a way that they were presented on-air as if they were general "active" route marker tasks, so we can't always count on those.

But in general, the uber-leg has usually involved two detours and two roadblocks, with a midpoint where either Phil or the clue, without Phil being present, instructs the teams to continue racing. Whether the Manly midpoint introduces something different we'll have to see tonight.  Also, if Phil uses "the mat" and not "pit stop" that may be a clue that the uber-leg mid-point is being used to determine who gets the Express Pass and the automatic U-Turn. We do have to stop thinking in terms of "the mat" meaning "arriving at the Pit Stop." We've known since TAR 7 that the two no longer always mean the same thing,

I think it is very important we look at how Phil describes these thing doing his opening spiel to the Racers before he sends them off.  If Phil says "the mat" and not "the pit stop" then that, to me, is an indication that the Express Pass and the automatic U-Turn are not based on leg placement when they finish in Broken Hill. If the Automatic U-turn is in fact a new NEL penalty, which avoids a set up for an extra Speed Bump tasks, we'll likely know that sooner rather than later.
The bottom line is this, until we hear (and see) what Phil actually says and does, we're in the realm of speculation as to the new elements of the game for TAR:UB.  (Which is why I record these episodes, because someone has to be able to check what was actually said!) :)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Does anyone else feel like that the media is spoiling this season more than others seasons?  I mean, we practically know the entire first episode even without Coutzy's pictures.  In many press releases we have read the starting line task, the shark tank task, and more.  Plus the titles of episodes now with the location of the leg is new too.  Also, in interviews Phil has told some other locations that the show will go this season.

We always get some info in pre race interviews about locations and tasks, so prob nothing new.

But sometimes it does seem they give us what we have already spoiled! :lol:

And I will say again, I think the last team to get the start line task done is the one with the penalty...which may be slightly different than what the ABC article says...depending on whether or not Phil is on a MAT at the start line task....

I wondered this week if they would be focusing the promos so much on the starting line if Coutzy had not spoiled the rest of the leg for them. We've barely seen any footage from Sydney and I wonder if we will in the episode. They could spend half the time on the starting line task and the airplane issues.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
The promos I've seen have been using Sydney footage since the cast announcement, but I think CBS expects that most viewers aren't aware the extent to which the first leg has been spoiled.

So I expect that we'll be in Sydney after the first 20 minutes. I'm not even sure the flight diversion will make it in, even though it turned the intended outcome of the start line tasks on its head. We'll just have to wait and see what the editors decided to do.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
Would Head Down and Hold on be a bull riding term? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline JETandCORDfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
That could be peach, good thinking! I think the cowboys may have said something like that of course!
 :rodeo

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »
Thanks to Aintitcool's review (linked in the media section) they state that Mel and Mike take an early lead, so I think its safe to say they are the team that is first to complete the starting line task, they also confirm (what we have none for about forever) that it is a TBC leg.

And Damn why didn't I ask who was the first to complete.....

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »
Isn't that what they say when you're going into the crash position on an airplane...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
Isn't that what they say when you're going into the crash position on an airplane...

We've seen the context, read my signature... they were trying to avoid Coutzy's gaze.

Offline Bambie08

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Hey everyone! I posted here a while back, but decided to come back on for the new season! Can't wait!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Welcome Bambie!! Join us in the LIVE SHOW thread!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24757.0.html

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
OMG AMAZING FIRST EPISODE  :<3

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
OMG AMAZING FIRST EPISODE  :<3

They hooked us from the beginning!

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
They went real hard this first episode. I hope the rest of the season keeps this up.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
It seems to me that unless we're all wrong about the number of episodes, then thiere was not an uberleg. But two legs, with no rest period between pitstops. That is a new wrinkle, but one that's been developing the last few seasons as the show has dropped all references to the 12-hour rest period at pit stops.

Why?

Phil described the race as having 12 legs.

He described the winner of the express pass as the first to arive at the first pit stop, which did happen in this leg.

He described the beach location as a "pit stop" greeted the first ten teams as X to arrive" and the clue directing teams there warned that the last team to arrive "may" be eliminated.

So what we have is a regular first leg (with just a roadblock and no detour.

Conclusion: There is no uberleg this season, although WRP did a good job in emulating an uberleg in Sydney.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
Will there be a separate thread for intro caps, or do we use this one? New ones this season, including final-day stuff.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
I also assume the penalty for taking two clues and not putting them back don't apply to the Buoy's as both Zev and Justin stag one each.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
I also assume the penalty for taking two clues and not putting them back don't apply to the Buoy's as both Zev and Justin stag one each.

That's what I was wondering. I guess since there was a possibility of someone missing the clue it didn't matter? Also once they had the clue maybe they couldn't go back?
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:27 PM »
From The Onion A.V. Club:

The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business
by Scott Von Doviak February 20, 2011

Of all the competition-based reality shows, The Amazing Race probably benefits the most from the all-star format.  The first episode of any Race season is almost always a chaotic jumble, with 22 to 24 new faces and personalities to absorb (or even more in the case of the lamentable “Family Edition”) along with the usual airport and taxi cab intrigue.  That’s not a problem with tonight’s premiere of the season subtitled Unfinished Business—said business being actually winning the race, something none of the participating teams have done.  (I’m guessing The Amazing Race: All-Loser Edition didn’t test well with audiences.)  All the faces are familiar, although admittedly, some are more familiar than others.  For me, Amanda and Kris are virtually interchangeable with any number of bickering young couples from seasons past, but they’ve clearly been included in hopes of re-stoking their animosity towards mother-and-deaf-son Margie and Luke, who U-Turned them back in the 14th season.

Indeed, that season is a tad over-represented this time around; in addition to Amanda/Kris and Margie/Luke, former NFL cheerleaders Jaime and Cara and sisters LaKisha and Jennifer are back, along with my top rooting interest, writer/actor Mike White and his dad Mel.  But although quibbling about the chosen ones is part of the fun when it comes to these all-star editions—where are my beloved Brook and Claire from last fall?—the powers-that-be have done a decent job assembling a roster of rewatchable teams, including Harlem Globetrotters Flight Time and Big Easy, passport-losers Zev and Justin, and...well, I’m sure goofy Goths Kent and Vyxsin have their fans, too.

As scenes from previous episodes remind us of their fates, the eleven teams converge on Palm Springs, where stalwart host Phil Keoghan awaits, eyebrow cocked at the ready. Kent and Vyxsin announce that they’re looking for redemption, which means they’ve come to the wrong CBS reality show. They’re doing that on Survivor, kids!  Like Flight Time and Big Easy, Zev and Justin are wearing Harlem Globetrotters t-shirts, which is hilarious. Phil reminds us that the first team to arrive at the pit stop will receive the Express Pass, which can be used to bypass any challenge. But wait!  He’s got a few new twists up his sleeve. The teams won’t simply be given their first clue; they’ll have to earn it by wading into a field of flags and finding one marked with the airline name “Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services.” We armchair racers immediately realize this means QANTAS, but as usual, it takes the actual racers a bit longer to figure it out.

The first eight teams to find the flags get tickets for the first flight out of LAX to Sydney, Australia.  The remaining three follow on a flight 90 minutes later, and the last team to find its flag is hit with an automatic U-Turn, which will force them to perform both tasks on the first Detour. Naturally, it is the previously U-Turned Amanda and Kris who win this booby prize, so it looks like they’re toast right from the start. However, the first flight is forced to make an emergency landing in Honolulu when a passenger suffers a heart attack, and the three teams on the trailing flight (Father/daughter Gary and Mallory and Kisha and Jen, along with Amanda and Kris) actually arrive in Sydney first.  What a stroke of luck!  Except, you know, for the guy who had the heart attack.

The Roadblock involves scuba diving in a shark tank, finding a compass (actually more of a giant decoder ring), and using it to solve a code involving nautical flags. Right off the bat, it seems Bertram van Munster and company have heard the fan complaints about the challenge-free challenges of recent seasons, because this one is a real bitch. Only a couple of teams actually manage to solve the code phrase—”I am between the devil and the deep blue sea”—but apparently everyone is feeling pretty chummy this early in the race, and thanks to rampant sharing of information, all the teams are able to get their next clue.  All except cowboys Jet and Cord, never the two brightest bulbs, who haven’t even come close to solving the clue as the episode ends.

Yes, that means no teams were eliminated in this premiere episode. After riding a skiff through Manly Bay and plucking a clue off a buoy, each team meets Phil on the mat at Shelly Beach, where he hands them a clue and tells them to keep racing. Gary, Mallory, and their secret third teammate Jesus are first to arrive, so they get the Express Pass (and crucially, keep it out of the hands of Kris and Amanda, who would probably use it at their mandatory U-Turn). It remains to be seen whether the cowboys will be eliminated if and when they solve their clue, but I’m guessing the words “TO BE CONTINUED” mean they’re not done just yet.

Either way, Unfinished Business is off to a strong start. Here’s hoping the new twists and turns keep coming, and that the challenges continue to be both creative and, well, challenging. Cab drivers of the world, prepare to be irritated!

Stray observations:

* In a technological advancement that’s at least two years overdue, The Amazing Race is finally available in HD. The flashbacks to previous seasons already look like they took place in another century.
    * Didn’t Kent used to spell his name “Kynt”? Maybe too many people were mispronouncing it in a non-family-friendly way.
   * For now, we’re just dropping in on the premiere episode, but if the people demand it (hint, hint), there’s a chance Race could join the regular Sunday night rotation. If that’s something you might be interested in, let us know in the comments.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-amazing-race-unfinished-business,52097/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »
Will there be a separate thread for intro caps, or do we use this one? New ones this season, including final-day stuff.

Let's start a new thread?? :hearts:

My FAVORITE thing!!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,24761.0.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:58:45 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
And did everyone catch that the express pass can be used at anytime during the race.  No mention of limiting it like last season to the first eight episodes.  If true thats a mighty important prize.

Offline GeKKou

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »
Upon reaching what teams were told was the Pit Stop of Leg 1, teams were told that they were still racing, having completed one Roadblock. Gary & Mallory who arrived in first place at the mid-point were still awarded the Express Pass.

----says wiki

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
Wiki is not reliable enough for us....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
As I pointed out above, what threw everyone off is that for the first time, WRP is having two legs without a rest period at the pit stop.

While this emulates the uber-leg format, it is in fact not an uber-leg, where teams arrival at a mat (sometimes) is not described as a "pit stop."  And Phil clearly said the Express Pass would be awarded to the first team to arrive at the end of the leg, and introduced the mat location as a "pit stop."
-- theschnauzers