Author Topic: TAR18: Herb Lang & Nate Lofton (Big Easy & Flight Time of Harlem Globetrotters)  (Read 32802 times)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
How is Canaan behaving worst than FT and BE?? I don't really get the way you see it, but then again to each his own. So i respect your POV. :tup:
Canaan was physically trying to push Mika down the slide against her own will.

That was just once and a brief slight moment. He would have tried ANY method in times of desperation like this. He didn't TRY IT the whole time you see.
And why did Mika scream "HELP ME!"? It was definitely not because of what FT&BE were doing to her.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
So Joab, where does Ron fit in your list of bad reputations? He was much much worse to his own daughter than FT/BE ever were to Mika.

An excellent point!

The Prophet, will you stop spamming please? Seriously.

You're the one who's been spamming this topic all week.

I'm not going to argue with you and this will be my last comment towards you. Please don't be ridiculous, the first time i posted on this topic was few minutes ago TODAY. :res:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
I don't want to argue about that either, no one is spamming we are just having a discussion.
Danooky did make a good point about Canaan's physical manipulation.

That was just once and a brief slight moment. He would have tried ANY method in times of desperation like this. He didn't TRY IT the whole time you see.

The globetrotters would have tried ANY method too, to keep from being eliminated. Not to mention that they didn't really do anything.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City

I was an extreme Ron hater till he changed for the better. I have a soft spot for people who change in their attitude, because i know how hard is it to swallow down your pride and admit that you've been so wrong and nasty. :lol:

And Christina's such a nice woman to not love. :tup:

You still didnt answer my question.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
My point is, both teams wanted to get ahead. FT & BE chose to try and verbally discourage Mika from going down the slide (which is what she wanted) whereas Canaan was forcing her, in a way that managed to scare her even more. I don't see why you would consider FT&BE's strategy to be much worse.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
How is Canaan behaving worst than FT and BE?? I don't really get the way you see it, but then again to each his own. So i respect your POV. :tup:

And why did Mika scream "HELP ME!"? It was definitely not because of what FT&BE were doing to her.

Definitely you see it as a team dysfunctional issue. I'm NOT a fan of Mika and Canaan but you see, each team have their own issues and i see and understand Canaan's frustration and if i put myself in Canaan's shoes i actually felt sorry for him to have a teammate like her.

My POV here is that FT and BE shouldn't have taunted another team because that is just not the right thing to do.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

I was an extreme Ron hater till he changed for the better. I have a soft spot for people who change in their attitude, because i know how hard is it to swallow down your pride and admit that you've been so wrong and nasty. :lol:

And Christina's such a nice woman to not love. :tup:

You still didnt answer my question.

I know where you're getting at. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
My point is, both teams wanted to get ahead. FT & BE chose to try and verbally discourage Mika from going down the slide (which is what she wanted) whereas Canaan was forcing her, in a way that managed to scare her even more. I don't see why you would consider FT&BE's strategy to be much worse.

Both are actions which i will not agree to, but as i've said before.. i think FT and BE's one was much worst because they should just mind their own business and not taunted Mika.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City

My POV here is that FT and BE shouldn't have taunted another team because that is just not the right thing to do.

Ron taunted his daughter through most of the race. Where are other instances of FT/BE taunting anyone. So far you only cite one instance?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
About the taunting other teams (and really the whole issue) Coutzy's post has a great perspective.

I don't know what everyone thinks was so bad about the globetrotters trash talking. They knew coming into that task that they were last, and needed a small miracle to stay in it. It's not like they physically pushed her off the slide so they could jump in first or anything like that.

What I don't understand even more is why people love Rob & Amber, who made a race career out of trash talking and psyching out other teams, yet hate the globetrotters for exactly the same thing.

Besides like Rox said the globetrotters don't have a career of taunting like other teams.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:47:20 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Ron taunted his daughter through most of the race. Where are other instances of FT/BE taunting anyone. So far you only cite one instance?

I think it's more of a matter and issue about what you do as a team and what you do to the other teams on the race. I'll bring out a few instances.

Victor didn't listen to Tammy on Leg 3 of TAR 14 and caused a major drama. But as a whole, they were really nice to the other teams and that was why i still liked them. Similarly with Brian and Ericka.. they might have a few rough patches here and there.. but they kept to their own business and was generally nice to the other teams.

What i don't like to see on the race is when you start being mean to another team. What you do within the team itself is something that maybe you're doing it because of the r/s that you hold with each other that ultimately makes it inevitable. In this case, Ron may have been with this attitude towards Christina for years. And for him to change within a short period of 21 days.. that covers up any bad attitude towards her that he had for me.. it's always nice to give people second chances.

Same for BE/FT.. maybe my attitude will change towards them if they're nicer this time round. Second chances you see. :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
nvm

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City

I really dont think you have any idea what I am getting at. Your ablility to sweep Ron's behavior under rug because of some kind of redemption arc amazes me. Maybe his so called redemption was just from race starvation? You dont really know, nor do you really know what FT/BE were doing. You just saw what editors wanted you to see and have an intense hate for people you really dont know very much about.

Have you ever been to a Harlem Globetrotters show/perfromance? I doubt you ever have. If you had, you would know that your analysis is way off base.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Let's take another example: Jet & Cord's attitude with Dan & Jordan at the VR task, with the cowboys screaming over the audio to confuse Jordan.

What's your take on that?
The story so far:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
moved
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:09:13 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

I really dont think you have any idea what I am getting at. Your ablility to sweep Ron's behavior under rug because of some kind of redemption arc amazes me. Maybe his so called redemption was just from race starvation? You dont really know, nor do you really know what FT/BE were doing. You just saw what editors wanted you to see and have an intense hate for people you really dont know very much about.

Have you ever been to a Harlem Globetrotters show/perfromance? I doubt you ever have. If you had, you would know that your analysis is way off base.

Actually it's just very simple.. we're just fans of different teams. :lol:

I know what FT/BE are doing. To sum it up, they're just trying to get ahead and not be eliminated. Maybe i was just driven by the producers to hate them or what. I'm still not a fan, but to each his own. I'll leave the discussion here. :tup:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
True, we all like different teams and have different POV's. I'll agree to disagree about this instance and go on from there.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City

Actually it's just very simple.. we're just fans of different teams. :lol:

I know what FT/BE are doing. To sum it up, they're just trying to get ahead and not be eliminated. Maybe i was just driven by the producers to hate them or what. I'm still not a fan, but to each his own. I'll leave the discussion here. :tup:

Again you make assumptions not based in fact. I am not a fan of ANY team. I am a Darwinist. The best team always wins, no matter which team it is.

You say you know what FT/BE were doing. Let's say that Mika did in fact go down that slide at FT/BE "trash talking". What would have happened then" Would she/could she have out ran them down that beach to the finish mat. I really doubt it. If as you say, they should have stayed out of Mika/Caanan's biz.....they would have just followed them down the slide and out ran them to the mat. You should not equate FT/BE with any of the professional players in the NBA.......they are totally not the same thing. Go see their show when it comes to Singapore.....you will see and understand.

But I will propose this. The Harlem Globetrotters are about motivating people to do things they dont think they can. Maybe, just maybe FT/BE were using "reverse psychology" to get Mika to do something she didn't think she could do. It obviously failed. But sterotyping Ft/BE is far worse.

All these teams are "edited" to appear the way the producers want you to see them. As such, Ron is no different than Jonathan Baker TAR6. He too had a redemption before he was eliminated if you remember.

Love any team you want and hate any team you want.......it is just a TV show.......but do it in some sense of reality and not fantasy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:27:28 AM by DrRox »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Jonathan Baker is an great example of a editor created redemption for the story's sake. The rest of his life after the Race indicates no such change. I seriously doubt that other "redeemed" characters such as Nick DeCarlo, etc. really changed that much in their real lives. The producers merely try to create this idea for the sake of the viewers. Not to insult any team members, just my opinion of what really goes on.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Discussion of other teams and seasons can go into those threads please. This is Herb and Nate's TAR 18 thread...discussion of their previous season as an example of strategy is more than fair, but lets get sorta back on target please?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

Harlem Globetrotters Aim to Win 'The Amazing Race'
Monica Garske

The upcoming season of "The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business" features memorable teams from seasons past, and one duo in particular is back to finally settle an old score.

That team is Nate "Big Easy" Lofton and Herb "Flight Time" Lang, a couple of wise-cracking big shots who play professional basketball for the Harlem Globetrotters.

Harlem Globetrotters Herb "Flight Time" Lang, l, and Nate "Big Easy" Lofton will race around the world for a second chance to win $1 million on "The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business," premiering Feb. 20 on CBS.The pair were fan favorites on the 15th season of "The Amazing Race" in 2009 but ultimately lost the race around the world when Big Easy had difficulty solving a word scramble puzzle.

Despite their rough, fourth-place exit from the reality TV show, the basketball players are totally game for a do-over. They'll be back for more televised globetrotting when "The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business" premieres Feb. 20 on CBS.

And, as they both told AOL News, this time they came to win -- no matter what it takes.

"We're back to finish business -- literally," Flight Time said. "We ran a great race last time; we just got caught up in the stress at the end."

"This time, we came in with fresh minds, ready to have fun, relax and go for the win," Big Easy added. "Oh, and any and all puzzle challenges will be handled by Flight Time."

The duo both agreed that winning the TV race is a pretty big deal since, frankly, they're not used to losing -- ever.

After all, they are Harlem Globetrotters.

In the past 84 years, the cheeky, comedic pro basketball team has won more than 23,800 games, almost always beating their courtside rivals, the Washington Generals.

Flight Time and Big Easy have experienced many of those wins themselves, since they've been on the team for the past 12 and six years, respectively.

Still, despite their drive to win, the duo admitted they had no real strategies going into "The Amazing Race" the second time around.

"We did the same thing as last time: run a good, solid, competitive race. We maintained the same attitude we've always had, which is that we don't have to act a fool to get ahead or embarrass ourselves. We're representing the Harlem Globetrotters, so we're not trying to stab anyone in the back to win. We want to win by running a fair race," Flight Time said.

"Fussing and fighting is a waste of energy. We went into this wanting to have fun and keep it light. The only way we know how to ease stress is to crack jokes. It's what we do best," Big Easy said.

The guys did, however, use their previous experience on "The Amazing Race" to some degree when preparing for their second shot at the win.

Flight Time said they packed much lighter this time around because they had a better idea of what they would actually need on the trek. He said they included a calculator in their backpacks just in case they encountered some sort of mathematical "Roadblock" challenge along the way.

Because they've traveled together so much for work with the Globetrotters, Big Easy said they've become the best of travel buddies, so spending all that time together jet-setting on "The Amazing Race" -- twice -- was no big deal.

"We enjoy each other's company a lot," he added. "We don't really get sick of each other."

"Big Easy is the loudest snorer in the history of mankind, but that's about the only downfall to traveling with him," Flight Time said with a laugh. "He snores so loud that when we were at Globetrotters training camp a while back, the player that was rooming with him had to switch rooms. It's that bad."

The upside to globetrotting together, though, is that the pair have grown closer as both friends and teammates, which helps them on the basketball court. Flight Time said they've even developed a silent secret language that's exclusive only to them.

"We communicate in this special way now where we only speak with our eyes. The guys on the Harlem Globetrotters are always teasing us about it on the court. They're like, 'There's that "Amazing Race" talk right there.' It's pretty funny," he said.

If the duo make it to the finish line and win the million-dollar grand prize, they have big plans for the money.

Flight Time plans to donate a chunk of change to charity, while Big Easy dreams of opening a gym in the neighborhood where he grew up.

Still, win or no win, they agreed that "The Amazing Race" has changed their lives forever.

"It's been a real blessing for us. We have more fans than ever, and our autograph time after games is much longer now," Flight Time said.

"We've had fans come to basketball games specifically to see us. For a lot of them, it's their first time going to a basketball game, so that's pretty cool," Big Easy added.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/10/harlem-globetrotters-aim-to-win-the-amazing-race-unfinished-bu/

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
 :hearts: :<3  :hearts:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:17:11 AM by AmazingRace »

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
Lol at Flight Time peeing on the wall of the library  :lol:

Offline phant0m

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I hate you all.
 :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo: :wohoo:

THANK YOU, GLOBETROTTERS FOR MAKING THIS SEASON ONE OF THE BEST!!!

COWBOYs.SLAIN <3 <3 <3
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:24:49 PM by phant0m »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
:yess: Bye Cowboys!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:53:08 PM by Cocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D