Author Topic: TAR18: Margie Adams & Luke Adams (mother/son)  (Read 49914 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
TAR18: Margie Adams & Luke Adams (mother/son)
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:35:11 AM »

Margie and Luke

Name (Age): Margie Adams (53)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colo.
Connection to your Teammate: Mother
Current Occupation: RN, BSN, Clinical Research Associate
Previous Season/Result: Season 14/3rd place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Not drinking enough water and becoming dehydrated in Thailand. I fainted.

Most memorable moment from your first Race: Finishing in first place for the first leg of the Race.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Thailand – it was number one on my wish list for Season 14 so getting to go to both Bangkok and Phuket was fantastic.

Why do you want to run the Race again? It was one of the most exciting and best experiences of my life. I am looking forward to all the new places we will go.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I am more confident and more willing to try new things.

What are you passionate about? People being kind and accepting of each other

People would be surprised to learn: Nothing, I'm pretty boring.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Ireland – my grandparents are from there and I would love to see the country.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Some of the challenges require you to be able to listen/hear/sign and when those challenges come up we have to pick the other challenge since Luke is completely deaf. He cannot hear or use oral language.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): Getting to spend time one-on-one with Luke

Pet peeve about your teammate: He is a very loud eater.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? Retire a few years earlier than planned.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We need to be more careful about reading the clues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name (Age): Luke Adams (25)
Hometown: Colorado Springs, Colo.
Connection to your Teammate: Son
Current Occupation: Motivational Speaker
Previous Season/Result: Season 14/3rd place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: My biggest mistake was not being able to figure out what the last surfboard was during the final challenge!

Most memorable moment from your first Race: The hilarious cheese hill task and the underwear marathon.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Thailand because the country and culture are just so beautiful. I would love to go there again someday.

Why do you want to run the Race again? To win The Amazing Race! I want to make up for my big blunder in the final leg of the last race.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I stop more when I am traveling now to enjoy the scenery. I try not to rush things.

What are you passionate about? Travel, my family and friends.

People would be surprised to learn: I'm afraid of flying. I always have to suck it up whenever I'm on planes.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Ireland, because it would be awesome to see where my family came from.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Being sleep deprived!

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): It would be cool if we could visit five continents, avoid being u-turned and be the first team to make it to the final three twice!

Pet peeve about your teammate: Nothing – she is an awesome teammate and mom!

What would you do if you won the million dollars? Invest.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: I don't think I will change anything since our strategy from last time worked well. Hopefully it will bring us to the final three again and we can win this time!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:57:42 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline Squall

• RFF Jr. Member
  • There is reason to fear;Squall (the first) is here
Re: TAR18: Margie Adams & Luke Adams (mother/son)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:46 AM »
Way back in November hearing about this team coming back brought a big grin to my face. I loved these two. Watching Luke trying to complete the final roadblock still gets me as he  I can tell he really wanted to do this for his bionic woman.  I hope they make final 3 (too many favorites so i cant say for sure who i'd like to see win)
"as long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything...you feel less pain" --> Squall
Host: The Mole: South Eastern Sabotage
Played: Fantasy Big Brother 2011 (Mythic) - Win | Survivor K: South Pacific: (Coach) - Runner Up

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:50 AM »
Way back in November hearing about this team coming back brought a big grin to my face. I loved these two. Watching Luke trying to complete the final roadblock still gets me as he  I can tell he really wanted to do this for his bionic woman.  I hope they make final 3 (too many favorites so i cant say for sure who i'd like to see win)

Me too.. I hope so, I want to rooting for them... Go Luke and Margie!! I know (too many my favorite so can't say and sure i like to see win..)
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Zvarri

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
I hope Luke isn't as whiny this time. And Margie should stop enabling him.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
This two made me love TAR Episode #1 so much and inspired me so much after watching them win the leg.

Along the way.. because of the fact that TAR 14 teams are so awesome, i ended up liking Kisha and Jen, Victor and Tammy as well and lost some liking for them.

But i do have to agree with one fact that if the 2nd "allstars" did not include them, then i'll be really angry. They alone drove loads of viewership for TAR14 and garnered loads of fans!

I'm still a fan this time round, and i hope they surprise me!!

Go Margie and Luke!! :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
new video in 1st post.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
One of my favourite teams. Go Marge and Luke! or maybe Christina and Ron ?  :duno:
I'm so confused but I would be happy if one of  these teams won.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
Monument mom/son get do-over on ‘The Amazing Race’

February 17th, 2011, 12:16 pm  posted by Paul Kavanaugh

Maybe the second time is the charm for a Monument mom and son on “The Amazing Race 18: Unfinished Business” which premiers Sunday on CBS.

Margie Adams and her son Luke, who was the first deaf contestant on the show, competed in Season 14 and did pretty well. They placed first or second in many segments and finished third overall.

“We never knew what it was like to be in the back of the pack so coming in third was disappointing,” Margie said.

“Luke was at first,” Margie said when asked who was the most competitive. “I didn’t know much about the show but toward the end, I would jump out in front of cars to get ahead,” she said.

“The challenge this time is that the competitors already know the ropes, so it will be an even more intense competition,” Margie said.

How has the deaf community reacted?

“The deaf community has really embraced Luke and his willingness to get out there, “ Margie said. “We would watch the show every Sunday night at Old Chicago on Woodmen and we had deaf people come from all over the country to watch the show with us.”

“I don’t speak. I don’t read lips, I just sign so it was a different kind of person that the deaf community saw represented on TV,” Luke said.

Luke was born with limited hearing and used hearing aids. Then meningitis at age two wiped out the rest of his ability to hear.

Since Season 14, Luke has done motivational speaking, attending hearing and deaf events, speaking at Cal Poly in Calif. and the Deaf Nation World Expo in Las Vegas as well as high schools and colleges.

Luke could be one of the show’s biggest fans.

“When I was 16 the show started, I haven’t missed one episode,” Luke said

“All of the crew we traveled with would try to stump Luke with questions about previous seasons, and he got every one,” Margie said.

Pros: They won three trips. Luke is going to St. Lucia, Margie is going to PuertoVallarta and they gave the third trip to Puerto Rico to Margie’s sister. They made numerous friends along the way.

“We talk to everybody, and keep in touch,” said Luke

“Weekly on Facebook,” Margie said. “It was such an unbelievable cast. We’ve made lifelong friends, been to weddings and parties with people from Season 14.”

Cons: Very exhausted and hungry by the end and they lost a lot of weight they said.

So where are the duo going to be this Sunday night?

“At Old Chicago on Woodmen. Come watch the show with us,” Margie said.

The Amazing Race 18: Unfinished Business airs Sunday nights at 7 p.m. on KKTV/Channel 11.

Source
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
http://www.afterelton.com/people/2011/02/amazing-race-luke-adams-gay

There are a lot of things you can say about 25-year-old Luke Adams — that he's very competitive, that he's not shy, that he's a little temperamental — but above all, you have to acknowledge that he's not a quitter, no matter how difficult the circumstances.

That tenacity was constantly on display during the 14th season of CBS' The Amazing Race as Luke and his mother Margie raced around the world, coming in first on three legs, finishing second twice more and nearly taking the top spot on the last leg, only falling short when Luke was confounded by a challenge involving surfboards.

And while the race is a grueling affair for everyone, Luke also had to deal with the potential disadvantage of being deaf while racing against contestants who were all able to hear. But Luke and his mom are nothing if not resourceful and actually turned that potential disadvantage into an advantage by being able to communicate in front of the other racers without their knowing what Luke and Margie were saying.

The 18th season of The Amazing Race kicks off on Sunday night, and this edition is titled The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business and features returning teams that either finished in the top three of their particular season, like Luke and Margie, or who were eliminated in notable ways.

AfterElton.com recently caught up with Luke to discuss what made him want to race again, how the first TAR changed him and what's up with his love life. As Luke's mother wasn't available to translate, Luke answered our questions via email.

AfterElton: Hi, Luke. Thanks for talking with us.
Luke Adams: I’m glad that I got to talk with you again!

AE: How did being on the race change your life?
LA: Way beyond my imagination. It is not what I thought it would be. It’s a big honor that I’m a big role model for the deaf community and I got a Deaf Person of the Year award. It’s a big amazing achievement for me, especially for my age. Visiting countries and the cultures have changed my view of the world so much. I truly appreciate to have this kind of experience along with my mother!

AE: What's the biggest difference in your life since the race ended?
LA: That I can say I got to race around the world twice. How often do people get to say that?

AE: The very last thing you said to us in our previous interview was that you wanted to be on The Amazing Race: All Stars and now here you are. How did you make that happen?
LA: First of all... I never thought I would get to be on Amazing Race in million years. Let alone by doing the Race twice. It’s just pretty incredible. Soon as my Mom got a phone call about All Stars last summer, she just said "Yes!" immediately without talking to me about it. There’s no question that we both really wanted to do it again.

AE: So one of you didn't have to talk the other into doing it?
LA: Originally, for the first season we raced — in the beginning, Mom did it for me — but in the end, she did it for herself. For All Stars, we both wanted to do it equally this time. It was just such an incredible experience for my mom and I to share together twice. I’m glad I did it with my mom. It has made our bond so much closer than ever. There’s no one else I would want to do it but my mother.

AE: It looks like a very interesting season. Which teams are you most concerned about?
LA: Ronald and Christina. First of all, I adore Ron and Christina. I love them on their original season. Ronald and Christina are definitely pretty savvy and smart racers. They made it to the Final Three like Mom and I did. They and we both won three legs on original seasons. Christina and I had the exact same breakdown at the final roadblock challenge. Their team and my team have a pretty similar racing style, so I definitely view Ronald and Christina as a big threat on the Race. I have to make sure that we watch out for them — they can be pretty sneaky!

AE: Which teams would you most like to team up with?
LA: That’s the easy question. Jaime and Cara. No question about it. They are the only team Mom and I trust 100% completely on the Race. We were together through thick and thin from the very beginning to the very end on our original season. No doubt that we want to form an alliance with them again. It’s really exciting that we get to work together again.

AE: Given that you U-Turned Kris and Amanda, how worried are you about their wanting revenge?
LA: I am not worried at all. Amanda and I have become good friends over the years — there is no animosity between us. They understood completely that the U-Turn was a strictly strategic move for my team. But again, anything could happen on the Race.

AE: In your season, the fact that you were gay never really came up. Do you think it will be different this season? Did you say anything to the producers?
LA: There were no secrets among the racers on my original season — everybody knew I’m gay. I actually stated I’m gay several times during the race, it just didn’t make it into the show … not that I wanted to be in the closet or something like that. I’m out and proud of it. I have no problem with it.

AE: Facebook says you are still single. What are you looking for in a guy?
LA: I met someone last year who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with. In the end, he just broke my heart to the pieces and I am still picking it up. So, I just want to enjoy my life for a bit before meeting someone. I’m looking for someone who’s an athletic like me and has a passion for traveling. Really, I’m more of open to anything. I think it’s pretty important to have a chemistry and connection with someone. So, hopefully, one day I’ll meet someone special.

AE: Would you eventually like to settle down? If so, what does that mean for you? Kids? Does Margie want you to make her a grandmother?
LA: That’s a pretty bold question to ask! I’m not even thinking about having kids. Not even right now. One day I would love to settle down with someone and have kids though. But, it’s not going to happen very soon. I need to enjoy my 20s while it lasts. Actually, my mom is going to be grandmother for second time this summer. I’m pretty excited about being an uncle again.

AE: Do you think your appearing on the Race helped the hearing gay community understand the deaf gay community better?
LA: Well, there were no cute gay guys for me to interact with on the Race...

AE: What are you doing professionally these days?
LA: I’m a motivational speaker. For the past couple years, I have been traveling across the United States to give the speeches about my life as a Deaf person and what it was like being on The Amazing Race. It’s an awesome feeling to know that I have actually made a difference in people’s lives. As of right now, I am at the crossroad of where I am trying to figure it out what to do with my life next. Soon as I graduated from college, I just literally went straight from college to The Amazing Race then for couple past years, it has been a big Amazing Race whirlwind. So, I’m ready to make a new chapter of my life once this season wraps up.

AE: I know you've said before you very nearly didn't even try out the first time, but finally mailed in your application. What got you to do that?
LA: This may be pretty surprising... My family and I applied for The Family Edition on Season 8. We made it through few rounds then we got cut. No offense to Season 8 but I am forever grateful that we never made it on that season. Soon as I turned 21, I applied several times with my mom. We never got a callback or anything like that, so filling out applications again and again got pretty tiring. It was getting tired of hoping to hear something from CBS. But I told myself that I should just mail it in as a last chance and move on. A month later, we got a callback and the rest is history. Persistence paid off.

AE: You've had a very interesting life thus far. What's your approach to how you live your life?
LA: Live to the life to fullest everyday! I would recommend everybody to do some international travel and try something new and try new food. And, do something extreme like bungee jumping.

AE: Our readers are very big fans of yours. Anything else you want to tell them?
LA: I want to say thank you so much to the fans for their support and love for my mother and me over the years.

AE: Thanks for talking with us.
LA: No problem! It has been a pleasure!

I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »
It isn't All-Stars...  :groan:

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »
Another racer who states that he repeatedly sent applications to the show with the same partner, although the rules say  not to. Apparently the rules don't matter enough if the production thinks you are good TV

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/116449128.html

Springs Mom And Son Duo Back On "Amazing Race"
They became popular two years ago when they finished third on "The Amazing Race." Now a mother son duo from right here in Southern Colorado is going back on the show for a second time. Margie and Luke Adams will be on the upcoming season that premieres on Sunday.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
THanks for that article!

I liked this:

On season 14 Margie was Luke's interpreter for the show, and had to talk over most of their signing. On the upcoming season, Luke will sign on his own and there will be closed captioning for viewers. The hope is that this way Luke will have more of a voice.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
 Keoghan explains the show's picks below.

Margie and Luke — Season 14, 3rd place
Last we saw them: Die-hard Race fan Luke couldn't identify two surfboard photos on the final memory task, preventing him from being the first deaf winner.
Why they deserve a second chance: "Luke's one of those characters that people love or hate, and that makes for good TV. He's vindictive and will do whatever it takes to win," Keoghan says, referring to the mother-son duo's ruthless tactics in Season 14. And of course, he has another chance to make history as the show's first deaf winner. "I always wonder if their communication is stronger because they pay attention to each other. They won the first leg in Season 14 and that was a wake-up call to everyone else."

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/amazing-race-phil-keoghan-explains-why-these-11-teams-have-unfinished-business/56742
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
They won the first leg in Season 14 and that was a wake-up call to everyone else."

One of the best heart-warming moments on the show EVER!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:21 AM »
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/entertainment/26912530/detail.html

Monument Mom, Deaf Son Get Second Chance On 'Amazing Race'

MONUMENT, Colo. -- A mother and son from Monument are getting a second chance on the realty TV show "Amazing Race."

Margie Adams and her son Luke have been invited back to compete against other teams who have run the race in the past.

The Adamses came in third when they ran the race during Season 14.

"The challenge this time is that the competitors already know the ropes, so it will be an even more intense competition," Margie told the Colorado Springs Gazette.

Luke Adams was the first deaf contestant on the show. Luke only signs and does not read lips, which meant his mother often had to help him communicate.

Since their last appearance on "Amazing Race," Luke has done motivational speaking, according to the newspaper.
His mother is a nurse and clinical research associate.

Fans of the show and the Adams can watch the show premiere with them Sunday.

"At Old Chicago on Woodmen, come watch the show with us," Margie said.
Learn more about Margie and Luke on the Amazing Race website.

Offline Peace, Love, TAR! :D

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
They won the first leg in Season 14 and that was a wake-up call to everyone else."

One of the best heart-warming moments on the show EVER!

I LOVED it when Phil signed "You are team number one!" to them while he said it out loud so Margie wouldn't have to sign it to Luke.
"Like most things, it can be fixed by whipping a rock at it." --Courtney Yates; Survivor: China/Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm gonna miss Luke and Margie. They're one of the most entertaining and most memorable team to ever run TAR and they join the ranks of Colin and Christie, Charla and Mirna and Oswald and Danny to be one of those most classic teams ever..

You'll be missed Margie and Luke. I like you so much better this time round, and it sucks you have to go. :'(

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:16 AM »
Monument's Margie and Luke eliminated from 'The Amazing Race'

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/luke-115276-margie-monument.html#ixzz1Hsr7SfRK

Paul Kavanaugh
The Gazette
There will be more unfinished business for Margie and Luke Adams, the Monument mother and son who were back for their second crack at $1 million dollars on ‘The Amazing Race 18:Unfinished Business,” Sunday nights on KKTV/Channel 11.

The two were eliminated Sunday night at the end of the sixth leg of the race.

“Tea Tasting” got the best of them. Earlier in the show teams tasted a cup of tea at a tea shop as they left China to fly to Kolata, India.  Once in Kolata, they had to remember which tea they tasted and to identify it from hundreds of cups of tea lined up on a long table. Luke tasted cup after cup but kept selecting the wrong one.

Two teams were left, Harlem Globetrotters teammates Nathaniel “Big Easy” Lofton and Herbert “Flight Time” Lang and Margie and Luke. The teams tasted cup after cup of tea, but couldn’t identify the correct one.

Finally the Harlem Globetrotters were successful.  It was heart wrenching to watch as  Luke, the show's first deaf contestant, broke down crying several times, signing “it was so hard” as his mother urged him to go on and complete it, saying “you will always regret it, if you don’t,” and then Luke picked the correct cup.

But there was another challenge ahead.

“Hindu Art” or “Bengali Literature” were the next tasks. Both teams selected “Hindu Art” where they had to copy an elephant-like statue painting and applying dress pieces on bare replicas.

The Harlem Globetrotter team finished slightly ahead, jumped in  a cab and headed to the final pit stop on the leg of the race, The Fountain of Joy. The team placed seventh and Margie and Luke arrived shortly thereafter, the final team in the leg of the race and were eliminated.

Staff at the Old Chicago restaurant at Woodmen and I-25 said that mother and son had showed up for previous episodes this year to be cheered on by their fans, like they had when they participated in Season 14,  but said the couple hadn’t made an appearance Sunday night.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »
So sad to see them go, they were one of my favorites.
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:14 AM »
Though they were not one of my favourites to win, I like them. I was so sad to see Luke in tears. The scene of him crying haunts me till now. I think I need emergency help.

Offline phant0m

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I hate you all.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
sad to see them go. they were one of my favourite teams going into this, but it was kind of dissapointing seeing margie carry luke through almost the entire race. i had really high hopes for them and wanted them to get to the f3 again :(

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 02:20:48 PM »
Guys!  :hearts:

I'm BACK!

Sorry about my sudden disappearance, you know :)

And, I read some of your comments!  :neener:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Hey there! :waves: Glad to have you back! Sorry about your elimination. :(
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Maybe this is off-topic.

Luke, maybe this season was somehow tough, especially for the great teams and difficult physical tasks. However, the most moving moment in YEARS has been your tea time. I feel that you need to be extremely prepared to do what you did. I really look up to you.

You're great! And I'm sorry you got out soon...