Author Topic: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion  (Read 144635 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
theschauzers......

The old seven mile bridge was built by Henry Flagler for his railroad. I think that you will agree, that at some point, it was converted from a railroad bridge to a automobile bridge. The main problem was, that is was extremely narrow and there were lots of deadly car accidents on it. So they got the new seven mile bridge.

I don't know about Peach, but the "fake train" I mentioned in my earlier post is in this picture in the foreground.

Here is a pic of the entrance to the old seven mile bridge.....notice the "No fishing from Bridge" sign.

Here is a pic from farther down the old seven mile bridge. Notice the fishing pole on the right. Also notice the Speed Limit sign. In the far distance you can see the trees on Pigeon Key. I can't really see the teams having to walk or run all that way. If you look at the roadway on the bridge, they have taken those concrete stop bars used in most parking lots and used it to divide off the driving lane down the center and the walking paths on the outer sides of the bridge. At some point, they do have to have maintanance vehicles go to Pigeon Key for electical, plumbing, etc. I would suspect that since WRP rented the island, they would be able to use that method to get all their equipement down on Pigeon Key to film the Finish Line.

Matthew 7:15

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
They could have done a TAR 4 and used bikes....make them want, taste and sweat for that million dollars  :cmaslol

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Dr Rox, if you look at the wiki link in my last post, it explains that the railroad was abandoned in 1935. It was then converted to 2 narrow traffic lanes for vehicles.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
Dr Rox, if you look at the wiki link in my last post, it explains that the railroad was abandoned in 1935. It was then converted to 2 narrow traffic lanes for vehicles.

Yes I knew that from previous knowledge. If you will look at my posts.....I never said they used a train to get to Pigeon Key.

And yes, florida.....I would like to see a bicycle race............but the elminated teams and production and Phil and BVM.....they rode down there in cars or vans........lol.......no one is putting that finishline riser, the stationary cameras and sound gear on bicycles and hauling them over to Pigeon Key.......lol

If there is enough dry dirt on Big Pine Key......I can sure see them doing a TAR9,12,13 or 14 type of memory challenge there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
I am not talking a real train, but the video in the Live thread is awesome for the train, which seems to have ceased running in 1935.

There seems to have been a tourist Trolley train named Harry...up till maybe a few years ago? Can't find any recent stories about it after 2006.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
The standard now for the tourists who don't want to walk is by boat...4 trips a day. I see teams getting there ON the bridge though....for the shots.

There were some mentions of golf carts in the reading, but not available to the general public.

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures DrRox!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
I definitely agree with drrox about how production gets out there. I think the teams could be taxied out there at least part way where they could run the last bit for dramatic effect.

One question I still have is are they keeping those same taxis all day? From Miami airport to Virginia Key to Largo to Big Pine and back to Pigeon? That's a lot of miles and more importantly time. Will we have another TAR7 taxi paying finish?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »
I definitely agree with drrox about how production gets out there. I think the teams could be taxied out there at least part way where they could run the last bit for dramatic effect.

The bridge is closed to cars, they def will NOT be taking taxis.

But yes, I am sure there are supply carts of some sort...but I highly doubt we will see them. They will be going for the visuals here...boat or bridge.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
This is funny, on the Google Satellite view of the old bridge you can see your "fake train."
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline kinibug

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Sorry that this is slightly off topic,but can we be quite confident in saying that Gary/Mallory,Zev/Justin and Margie/Luke were final 3 teams?

If so,I am surprised Zev and Justin got this far but am happy for them.Gary/Mallory are most likely to be the winners then.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
Well there are a couple of ways they can handle the taxis.....

1).....they take taxis from the airport to Virgina Key......pay them and after getting the route info clue....they pic a taxi that Production has hired for the day like the taxis at the Rose Bowl. I didnt see Nat/Kat or Brooke/Claire paying their taxis.

2) they are given a sum of money before leaving Sao Paulo to cover the cost of taxis.

3) some guy from production is waiting on Knight's Key to pay the taxis after the teams head to Pigeon Key.

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
Well there are a couple of ways they can handle the taxis.....

1).....they take taxis from the airport to Virgina Key......pay them and after getting the route info clue....they pic a taxi that Production has hired for the day like the taxis at the Rose Bowl. I didnt see Nat/Kat or Brooke/Claire paying their taxis.

2) they are given a sum of money before leaving Sao Paulo to cover the cost of taxis.

3) some guy from production is waiting on Knight's Key to pay the taxis after the teams head to Pigeon Key.

Nothing at all.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:43:39 PM by florida »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
Sorry that this is slightly off topic,but can we be quite confident in saying that Gary/Mallory,Zev/Justin and Margie/Luke were final 3 teams?

If so,I am surprised Zev and Justin got this far but am happy for them.Gary/Mallory are most likely to be the winners then.

The way I see it......we have 6 months to figure out the who......personally, I could care less who the final 3 are at this time........leaves something to look forward too.  But that is just me......

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »

Why would we be "quite confident"? There is NO factual evidence posted about the final three at this time.

The best place to look for who is known to have been seen when/where is here in the Timeline Summary, anything else remains pure speculation.  :reindeer

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23631.msg570945.html#msg570945
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kinibug

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »

Why would we be "quite confident"? There is NO factual evidence posted about the final three at this time.

The best place to look for who is known to have been seen when/where is here in the Timeline Summary, anything else remains pure speculation.  :reindeer

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23631.msg570945.html#msg570945

Oh ok,sorry.It was just the way you replied to the person asking what teams weren't spotted in the airport...I thought that was a clue meaning that the non-photographed teams were the ones who were racing to the finish line.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
No reason to be sorry!  :cmas17

I'll have to look at that..but no clues intended. The non photographed teams either missed getting their picture made, or weren't there to be photographed...and the numbers tell you the answer to that, right?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »
The order of pics is the order they departed airport?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
No order....
RFF's Golden Rule:

DavidJunior

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »
Peach stated that 9 of the 11 teams were on that one flight

Which means 2 teams either came earlier or later

With the way production has made sure of bunching teams together for the final leg, it is highly unlikely that the 2 missing teams are part of the final 3

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 03:14:03 AM »
Peach stated that 9 of the 11 teams were on that one flight

Which means 2 teams either came earlier or later

With the way production has made sure of bunching teams together for the final leg, it is highly unlikely that the 2 missing teams are part of the final 3
I think 11 teams on same flight...

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »
guys, i am back, woohoo

anyway, could it be a new game twist that instead of the final 3 will be racing to the finish line, could we be seeing a final 2, who will be racing to the finish line

and great job to all the detectives
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
guys, i am back, woohoo

anyway, could it be a new game twist that instead of the final 3 will be racing to the finish line, could we be seeing a final 2, who will be racing to the finish line

Welcome back! :bigwelcome

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
guys, i am back, woohoo

Unlikely, but possible.  Still, I think the two teams who weren't seen probably weren't in the Final 3.

Belle Book

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
I think the original information, that all 11 teams were on the flight, is correct. There's no logical reason for it to be otherwise, given that all the teams needed  to get to Miami, and Peach indicated all 11 teams were in Sao Paulo before they flew into Miami.

I think its quite likely the 2 teams just weren't seen by the on scene TAR detectives. That happened in TARAS, when all 11 teams left the start line, but only a few of the teams were seen there by Chip Arndt who just happened to be taking a flight out of Miami that same morning, and saw several of the teams waiting for their flight out.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
I corrected that information... let's use the updated info.

Yes, we originally thought all 11 teams were at the airport.

I can only say that on closer review, 9 teams were seen, 2 were not. Were they there and out of customs late? Were they not there? Were they on a different flight altogether?

Your guess is as good as mine...but it does raise some interesting questions!
RFF's Golden Rule: