Author Topic: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion  (Read 144658 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Let's use this thread to keep all speculation and discussion (except ANY live spoilers) in one place.

:hfive:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR 18 Finale speculation and discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:37 AM »
Let's use this thread to keep all speculation and discussion (except ANY live spoilers) in one place.

:hfive:

Only about the finale?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:08 AM »
Yes. Only the Finale in this thread. We have other spec threads for the rest. :res:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
Adding in some more info about our Finale Leg.

Thanks to the great work of florida, teams were spotted in Miami!

TAR 18 teams arrived in MIA from Sao Paulo 12-13-10 on flight AA930 at 9:36 AM  (Landed 121 min late)  

9 of the 11 teams were seen briefly at the airport.

Production was present.

Clues appeared to be handed to teams who then dispersed within the airport area. (decoy run?)

All teams were eventually seen heading to the taxis....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1011

1-cameraguy
2-Clue giver
3-Jaime with decoy clue
4-Kynt and Vyxsin running
5-Vyxsin (cool double exposure :lol:)
6-Amanda
7-Kris
8-Kisha and Jen, and FT/BE waiting for a taxi
9-Jen entering taxi
10-Ron and Christina
11-Jet

Does that mean Ron & Christina were also decoys?  Darn!

Belle Book
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:57:20 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
Sounds as if the teams might have been directed to use some sort of speedy water craft from the Marine Stadium area to the Keys. If Peach is saying "no cars" I suspect both self-driving and taxis were being ruled out.

This would make sense to anyone that's familiar with the area because when you get past Homestead and Florida City to get onto Key Largo at the northern end of the Keys, there is only one road - U.S. 1 and it's the only road connecting all of the Keys down to Key West. Traffic has been an issue for years' the best way to avoid the traffic mess is by air oe by boat.

So-called "cigarette" speed boats used to race at the Marine Stadium (if you ever seen Miami Vice then you've seen the fast boats I'm speaking of) so I could see having the final three teams taking those to get down to the Keys.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
No cars only means they did not self drive. They used taxis.

And no Belle...there are 9 teams seen in the airport, so no one is ruled out except our known eliminated teams.

Just not everyone got a photo.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Which 2teams not seen ?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Good question.  :cmas16
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TSPKM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »
There are pictures of

1. Jaime/Cara
2. Amanda/Kris
3. Kynt/Vyxsin
4. Globtrotters
5. Kisha/Jen
6. Ron/Chris

No pictures of: Mel/Mike, Gary/Mallory, Cowboys, Margie/Luke and Zev/Justin.

I'm assuming that Mel/Mike were one of the 9 teams because we know of their elimination.

So 2 of Gallory, Cowobys, Margie/Luke and Zev/Justin were not seen....if I were a betting man I would probably say Gallory and Cowboys were the 2 teams racing to the finish line, with what looks like either Kynt/Vyxsin or Globtrotters.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
My mistake. I missed one. :groan:

There is a photo of Jet, post corrected.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
So our speculated final three is this:
Gary and Mallory
Zev and Justin
Margie and Luke

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
So here is the broad outline of what we know now:

The first stop after the Miami airport was the marine stadium marina location, there only about 15-20minutes.

SPEC is that this was a route info clue only.

They then continued south to Key Largo, which was the site of the next task: a RoadBlock.

Following that, they proceded south through the Keys to Big Pine Key for the next task.

walkingpneumonia's blog find re the Seven Mile Bridge closure would then follow nicely from there.

From Virginia Key teams could go back to the mainland and get on US1 which would take them thru Coral Gables and Homestead and down to Key Largo. Not sure if a taxi would take them all the way there though. We know taxis take them to the Marina but I would guess that they leave them there.
Otherwise there is the option of boats like schnauzers said or planes/helicopters. Right near the Marina there is a place called Miami Seaplanes.

FYI the 7 mile bridge takes you from Marathon to Big Pine Key as you are headed south. And there is nothing much on Big Pine, this description is rather humorous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Pine_Key#Shopping.2C_Dining_and_Commerce
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:44:27 PM by The Prophet »

DavidJunior

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
I believe this is more likely:

The 5 elimination station teams

Plus the final 3 and the 4th place finishers on this flight

other two decoys came in either earlier (i.e. the night before) or later (possible as long as they made it to the mat before the finalists)

that could be why we have:
Amanda and Kris
maybe Mel and Mike (not photo'd)
Jaime and Cara

and it looks like we're missing:
Gary and Mallory and Margie and Luke

which would mean:
Kisha/Jen (F4? - seen in Switzerland)
Jet/Cord (F4 or 7th - seen in India)
FT/BE (F4? - seen in Rio)
Ron/Christina (7th or F4 - seen in India?)
Zev/Justin (likely 8th - not seen after China) (not pictured- but speculated to be there)
Kynt/Vyxsin (7th or F4 - seen in India?)
are all either F4 or the 7th and 8th place finishers

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
So here is the broad outline of what we know now:

The first stop after the Miami airport was the marine stadium marina location, there only about 15-20minutes.

SPEC is that this was a route info clue only.

They then continued south to Key Largo, which was the site of the next task: a RoadBlock.

Following that, they proceded south through the Keys to Big Pine Key for the next task.

walkingpneumonia's blog find re the Seven Mile Bridge closure would then follow nicely from there.

From Virginia Key teams could go back to the mainland and get on US1 which would take them thru Coral Gables and Homestead and down to Key Largo. Not sure if a taxi would take them all the way there though. We know taxis take them to the Marina but I would guess that they leave them there.
Otherwise there is the option of boats like schnauzers said or planes/helicopters. Right near the Marina there is a place called Miami Seaplanes.

FYI the 7 mile bridge takes you from Marathon to Big Pine Key as you are headed south. And there is nothing much on Big Pine, this description is rather humorous: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Pine_Key#Shopping.2C_Dining_and_Commerce

They did use taxis, as about two minutes after I got to the Marina, one left with a production vehicle behind it. I tailed it through the expressways of Miami (I-95 to Dolphin Expressway to Palmetto Expwy to Don Shula Expwy to the Turnpike down to US 1). Using US 1 as a straight-shot down to Key Largo through the South Miami/Kendall/Homestead would bleed way to much time.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
They did use taxis, as about two minutes after I got to the Marina, one left with a production vehicle behind it. I tailed it through the expressways of Miami (I-95 to Dolphin Expressway to Palmetto Expwy to Don Shula Expwy to the Turnpike down to US 1). Using US 1 as a straight-shot down to Key Largo through the South Miami/Kendall/Homestead would bleed way to much time.

Thanks for the clarification. I am surprised that they took taxis that far, did you follow them all the way to Big Pine?

Could you see what team was in it?

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I am surprised that they took taxis that far, did you follow them all the way to Big Pine?

Could you see what team was in it?

I am surprised too, but they were going about 70-80mph on the expressways so it should have made up some time. Didn't follow them to Big Pine because I had been up since 10pm the night before and driving since about 1am and I was already a good 5 hours from home.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:51:30 PM by florida »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
To make sure folks understand this point. Even the Florida Turnpike Extension comes to a terminus on U.S. 1 southbound before reaching Homestead or Florida City. U.S. 1 is the only road south of Homestead and Florida City (still on the mainland) to Key Largo and points south.
I agree that from Virginia Key (and with a little backtracking in downtown Miami) the fastest way to go would be on the expressways.  I-95 comes to a terminus headed southbound just after Brickell Avenue and before reaching Coconut Grove and Coral Gables (as well as "The U," my alma mater Go, Canes!) so the route described earlier involving the Shula, Dolphin and Palmetto expressways to the Turnpike, would be the fastest route outside of rush hours.
During rush hour, it won't really matter the routes will be slow either way.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »
The only reason I can imagine, that they would use the east end of 7 mile bridge with cops, is that it is the finish line on Pigeon Key. It is a historical site and it is "rentable." There would be no prying eyes, unless you were on a boat. That part of the bridge is "driveable." Normally it is used only by a fake train (small tractor) and carriage to take people down to look at the restored buildings on Pigeon Key. I would assume the cops were there to let in the taxis, shuttle vans and to keep anyone else out. Why they would go to Big Piine Key, west of Pigeon Key and then go back east.......I have no idea.

Here is a photo of Pigeon Key.........credit to the Pigeon Key Historical Society.
Matthew 7:15

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
We still have at least one more task (most likely some sort of memory task) to fit in somewhere......that could be the reason they went to Big Pine Key.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
GMTA! I just added the same info in the live thread.

I have evidence that Pigeon Key was closed for an "event" on Monday, so expect that this is indeed our location.

Normally, you access the Key on foot or bicycle via the old portion of the seven mile bridge from Knight's key, or by boat from the knight's key Marina.

There used to be a train trolley but am not sure it is still in use.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
There is also an airport on Marathon, where BVM can stage his helicopters.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
The train line was closed down decades ago before I ever lived in Florida the first time. In the past century, the Keys have been struck time and again by devastating hurricanes (1926, 1947, 1960, 1992 (Andrew) and of course there were IIRC, four major hurricanes that struck the Keys in 2005. The 1960 hurricane (Donna) wiped out the middle keys as had happened in the 1920s and the 1940s. I just can't remember right now when the old bridge was converted to solely vehicular use, but I do remember learning that nugget growing up in Miami.
-- theschnauzers

Offline florida

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
The train line was closed down decades ago before I ever lived in Florida the first time. In the past century, the Keys have been struck time and again by devastating hurricanes (1926, 1947, 1960, 1992 (Andrew) and of course there were IIRC, four major hurricanes that struck the Keys in 2005. The 1960 hurricane (Donna) wiped out the middle keys as had happened in the 1920s and the 1940s. I just can't remember right now when the old bridge was converted to solely vehicular use, but I do remember learning that nugget growing up in Miami.

The new bridge was constructed between 1979 and 1982 according to this site (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.keyshistory.org/osh.html

[The bridge has attracted a handful of films for use in movies.]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:05:48 PM by florida »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
The old bridge wasn't being used for trains even in 1960, when Hurricane Donna went through.

Just checked Wiki, and the use of the bridge for the overseas train to Key West ended with the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Railroad.

The 1935 Hurricane slipped my mind before, but 1926, 1947, 1960, 1992, and 2005 were all years when major hurricanes struck the Keys in addition to the 1935 hurricane.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
The only reason I can imagine, that they would use the east end of 7 mile bridge with cops, is that it is the finish line on Pigeon Key. It is a historical site and it is "rentable." There would be no prying eyes, unless you were on a boat. That part of the bridge is "driveable." Normally it is used only by a fake train (small tractor) and carriage to take people down to look at the restored buildings on Pigeon Key. I would assume the cops were there to let in the taxis, shuttle vans and to keep anyone else out. Why they would go to Big Piine Key, west of Pigeon Key and then go back east.......I have no idea.

Here is a photo of Pigeon Key.........credit to the Pigeon Key Historical Society.

Great thinking!
As for Big Pine I wondered too but I guess they wanted to make it interesting for the teams find the finish line. They would have to come back across the bridge and turn around and go down the old bridge.

Here's where they need to turn around:

View Larger Map
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:20:59 PM by The Prophet »