Author Topic: Roadblock Count 6 or 7?  (Read 11943 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Roadblock Count 6 or 7?
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
Hey guys...

I wonder if the RB rules have changed. Because we see that Brook & Claire and Jill & Thomas doing 7-5 and 5-7 respectively, have the rules changed?

1. In Season 10, Karlyn did 7 roadblocks, but we know of an unaired roadblock (clearly done by Lyn)
2. In Season 11, Danielle had to do the roadblock in Guam, because Eric hit his roadblock count (the unaired roadblock in Poland Leg 1, was done by Eric?? Last roadblock Danielle?)

3. In Season 15, we have Flight Time ask Big Easy if he wanted to do the roadblock (they were on 5-5) meaning the six roadblock rule was probably in effect (the Gay Bros and Team Zebra final leg 6-6)

4. Season 16, Mr. Douche... sorry Brent, did 7. But there was double roadblock

5. This season, no special...

So has the rules changed?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:18:43 AM by redskooky »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: Roadblock Count 6 or 7?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
My personal theory:
They changed the rules so that teams participating in the final with a current count of six to five or five to five are allowed to let either team member do it for stamina reasons.

In seasons 1-8, there was no rule, except for in the Family Edition, when one member could do six at the most.
In seasons 9-15, the six rule was still in effect.
For some reason, in season 16, the rule was changed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:46:20 AM by The Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
I don't find it fair, AT ALL. I mean, teams know that they have to split their RB count between both teammates. That means that if the alpha member of the team did most of the RB in the course, and hit his top, the other member has to cope up with the rest.

That's the strategy. "You do this, and we keep my roadblock count on so as to perform better on the last leg's memory task." Luke had to keep a RB for the final leg, for example, and that left Margie having to do some roadblocks she wouldn't have done, for example. So, the rule is a rule everyone should complete.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
I don't find it fair, AT ALL. I mean, teams know that they have to split their RB count between both teammates. That means that if the alpha member of the team did most of the RB in the course, and hit his top, the other member has to cope up with the rest.

That's the strategy. "You do this, and we keep my roadblock count on so as to perform better on the last leg's memory task." Luke had to keep a RB for the final leg, for example, and that left Margie having to do some roadblocks she wouldn't have done, for example. So, the rule is a rule everyone should complete.

Before they created a limit, the alpha male member was doing all but two roadblocks usually.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
I think they increased it to 7, so that it is fair that should a team who took the FF advance to the F3, the other two teams will not be at a disadvantage with only one team member available to do the last RB, because the team who took the FF will then have a slight advantage because of this.

I think it is all fair. As opposed to the ladies doing only 1 RB for the entire race in TAR 5 for all final 3 teams. ;) (Kim, Christie and Nicole)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:57 AM »
I think they increased it to 7, so that it is fair that should a team who took the FF advance to the F3, the other two teams will not be at a disadvantage with only one team member available to do the last RB, because the team who took the FF will then have a slight advantage because of this.

I think it is all fair. As opposed to the ladies doing only 1 RB for the entire race in TAR 5 for all final 3 teams. ;) (Kim, Christie and Nicole)

Exactly my thoughts, Joab!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »
The rule IS 7-5.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
The rule IS 7-5.

I remembered in Season 6 the racers and even Phil, clearly stated that no team member can do more than 6 Roadblocks? :cmas5

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »
The rule IS 7-5.

The problem is that this rule has never been spoken publicly by anyone associated with WRP, while the 6 roadblock limit was stated in the telecast several times.

One of my personal pet peeves with TAR is the secrecy and deception.  Sometimes they mention when a task has been edited out of a broadcast, but most times they don't.  I'm in favor of full disclosure.  (That's why I enjoy the mat chats and secret scenes so much.)

TAR is still my favorite show and it's so much more exciting with all the sightings and info the RFF Detectives suss out each season.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »
The rule IS 7-5.

The problem is that this rule has never been spoken publicly by anyone associated with WRP, while the 6 roadblock limit was stated in the telecast several times.

One of my personal pet peeves with TAR is the secrecy and deception.  Sometimes they mention when a task has been edited out of a broadcast, but most times they don't.  I'm in favor of full disclosure.  (That's why I enjoy the mat chats and secret scenes so much.)

TAR is still my favorite show and it's so much more exciting with all the sightings and info the RFF Detectives suss out each season.

The secrecy is something we'll just have to learn to live with, I guess. It doesn't change the fact that TAR is my favorite TV show period, which is why the producers don't feel the need to tell us everything.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
I like the 6/6 rule. Even if you have a team that went for the FF, they have to actually make it to the F3 for them to have an edge. This season a Fast Forward winning team did make it into the F3, but if Jill and Thomas used their Express Pass on a Roadblock instead of a Detour they would have been at 5/5 going into the finale as well; maybe 6/4. I think the 6/6 rule actually would have helped Jill and Thomas if it was reinforced. But they still would have worked it out for Thomas to have the last Roadblock. But I also agree because there was nothing said about the 7/5 rule there is a bit of deception.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
One of the biggest problems that I have with TAR and other reality shows is the lack of transparency. 

The National Football League publishes and sells their updated rulebooks for every single season for about $10, and even though the officials still botch calls all the time, at least it's possible to look up the rules whenever someone wants to.

I think it's insulting to those of us who've followed the show from the beginning to see Nick & Vicki only get a 6-hour penalty for not completing a detour, while Nancy & Emily got penalized 24-hours for not completing a detour.  I feel the same way about the roadblock count.

It just gives the impression that they're making it up as they go along, and that's a bad thing.  I don't understand why they don't just post or publish their rulebook.  They probably consider their rulebook to be a trade secret, and I don't agree with that assessment.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »
One of the biggest problems that I have with TAR and other reality shows is the lack of transparency.  

The National Football League publishes and sells their updated rulebooks for every single season for about $10, and even though the officials still botch calls all the time, at least it's possible to look up the rules whenever someone wants to.

I think it's insulting to those of us who've followed the show from the beginning to see Nick & Vicki only get a 6-hour penalty for not completing a detour, while Nancy & Emily got penalized 24-hours for not completing a detour.  I feel the same way about the roadblock count.

It just gives the impression that they're making it up as they go along, and that's a bad thing.  I don't understand why they don't just post or publish their rulebook.  They probably consider their rulebook to be a trade secret, and I don't agree with that assessment.

Is this lack of transparency making you stop watching the show altogether?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

I think it's insulting to those of us who've followed the show from the beginning to see Nick & Vicki only get a 6-hour penalty for not completing a detour, while Nancy & Emily got penalized 24-hours for not completing a detour.  I feel the same way about the roadblock count.

It just gives the impression that they're making it up as they go along, and that's a bad thing.  I don't understand why they don't just post or publish their rulebook.  They probably consider their rulebook to be a trade secret, and I don't agree with that assessment.

I still watch, but I don't treat it as seriously competition-wise as I used to do.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

I think it's insulting to those of us who've followed the show from the beginning to see Nick & Vicki only get a 6-hour penalty for not completing a detour, while Nancy & Emily got penalized 24-hours for not completing a detour.  I feel the same way about the roadblock count.

It just gives the impression that they're making it up as they go along, and that's a bad thing.  I don't understand why they don't just post or publish their rulebook.  They probably consider their rulebook to be a trade secret, and I don't agree with that assessment.

I still watch, but I don't treat it as seriously competition-wise as I used to do.

Well, anything on TV is going to be at least half-scripted. Think what TAR would be like if there was no order! :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »
The rule IS 7-5.

NO, it isn't. According to the RFF Radio show interviews it is equality +- 1. In a 12 leg race that works out to 7-5 but if you had 11 legs it would be 6-5 or if you had 13 legs it would be 7-6, except for teams that won a FAST FORWARD and missed that leg's ROADBLOCK.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
The rule IS 7-5.

NO, it isn't. According to the RFF Radio show interviews it is equality +- 1. In a 12 leg race that works out to 7-5 but if you had 11 legs it would be 6-5 or if you had 13 legs it would be 7-6, except for teams that won a FAST FORWARD and missed that leg's ROADBLOCK.

This all goes into a theory of mine: a team that had one member do seven RB's has never won since they changed the rule. Coincidence?

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
I remember reading in one of Brent & Caite's post-race interviews after TAR16 that the producers told them that the rule was 6-6 or 7-5. (And also, for TAR16, there was a double Roadblock, but Leg 5 in France did NOT have a Roadblock, keeping the total at 12.)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
The rule IS 7-5.

I think this makes the most sense, as it also agrees with what Kevin posted in his video that teammates had to do an "even" number of Roadblocks.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
Does equality +-1 mean that the RB count cannot differ by more than 2 at any time of the race?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »
Does equality +-1 mean that the RB count cannot differ by more than 2 at any time of the race?

If I recall correctly, Connor did 4 RBs and Jonathan had not done any when they were eliminated.  So it would appear not.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »
This race it was 7-5.

Apskip is correct in saying that, as far as I know, the basic rule is even + one, for them to end up...

The rule IS 7-5.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

If I recall correctly, Connor did 4 RBs and Jonathan had not done any when they were eliminated.  So it would appear not.

You're right, I think they are only worried about the final result.

C/J were foolish to allow that to happen though, what if they had been on for a long time?