Author Topic: EP 12 East Coast FINALE updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 125264 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 12 East Coast FINALE updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
I'm still busking in SHOCKED & HAPPINESS right now! Best finale ending EVER! It beats all the exciting finishes or what!! :cmas26
Really, seriously.  Now obviously you are pleased about the results (and I can certainly understand being jazzed for the team you want to win), but dramatically there wasn't much real drama as the race wasn't close. 

I think most seasons have had more dramatic endings (even when I really didn't like the team that won at all, and god knows thats happened a time or two), this very well might be the most boring finale for a cycle.

It might not have been ur favorite but at least u can still compliment on
it, i feel like ur bashing on it, just be happy an F/F won, it might not be
the BEST finale but it is a finale and it's NOT boring -__-
I have already stated that the team did a great job, and that I like all the teams (so I had no issue with any of the teams winning, as I usually judge based on racing average and all teams were very close), but I found the episode to be possible the most boring finale TAR has produced.  Is it the first final episode where at no time did the team in first not remain in first?  Possibly.

This is nothing to do with who won, are how teams behaved (I already sad I loved that about this season), I also comment that I have only disliked one task for the full season, so I didn't dislike the tasks here.

I just found the episode lacking drama or tension.

Take season 15 (a season I didn't like that much) but I at least liked all three teams in the finale, but I found that episode far more appealing as it was neck and neck, all three teams at some point in Vegas were in 1st, and all three teams were at the final task directly in competition with each other.  I find that dramatic.

It's like watching sports.  I don't want to watch a one sided game (of whatever sport it is), no matter who is winning.  I am a Raider's fan and tehy killed Denver earlier this year scoring more points then they have ever done so before in history (and Denver scored poorly), as much as I wanted my team to win (which they did) I was so bored I turned the game off.  It wasn't dramatic.  It's the same principle. 

Season two for example had the famous foot race, and that was a nail bitting finale and I didn't like either team.  But I was on the edge of my seat watching the whole time.  That didn't occur for me this episode, and not even just at the end but pretty much from leaving the bungee.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
As for congrats for a f/f team winning why, should I make the distinction, I give props to the team that ran the best leg (and since the changed how they plan out this final legs since season 12 and have stuck with it, you win and its how you do, and not do having mid leg equalizers (how I hated that for the first 11 seasons).  It's irrelevant to me if they are men, women and men, women, african american, asian, hispanic, gay, mother daughter, grandparents, ect.

Nat & Kat run the best leg, the fact that they are women isn't something that I root for or against.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »

Unfinished Business.. is lame!

Well I wonder why I wasn't surprised at your comment of "lame."  RFF's resident pessimist has spoken.......next season is lame....what WRP and CBS has labeled it is lame......lol

I guess maybe you wont watch and keep reminding us that it is lame..............naw, that wont happen either......lol

Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
:lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »
I've only seen the first two episodes and the finale tonight and this was the result I was hoping for.

Hopefully, I'll be able to see TAR18 in its entirety. Unfinished Business isn't the best title, but I like the teams there.
Just here to visit.

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »
I'm still busking in SHOCKED & HAPPINESS right now! Best finale ending EVER! It beats all the exciting finishes or what!! :cmas26
Really, seriously.  Now obviously you are pleased about the results (and I can certainly understand being jazzed for the team you want to win), but dramatically there wasn't much real drama as the race wasn't close. 

I think most seasons have had more dramatic endings (even when I really didn't like the team that won at all, and god knows thats happened a time or two), this very well might be the most boring finale for a cycle.

It might not have been ur favorite but at least u can still compliment on
it, i feel like ur bashing on it, just be happy an F/F won, it might not be
the BEST finale but it is a finale and it's NOT boring -__-
I have already stated that the team did a great job, and that I like all the teams (so I had no issue with any of the teams winning, as I usually judge based on racing average and all teams were very close), but I found the episode to be possible the most boring finale TAR has produced.  Is it the first final episode where at no time did the team in first not remain in first?  Possibly.

This is nothing to do with who won, are how teams behaved (I already sad I loved that about this season), I also comment that I have only disliked one task for the full season, so I didn't dislike the tasks here.

I just found the episode lacking drama or tension.

Take season 15 (a season I didn't like that much) but I at least liked all three teams in the finale, but I found that episode far more appealing as it was neck and neck, all three teams at some point in Vegas were in 1st, and all three teams were at the final task directly in competition with each other.  I find that dramatic.

It's like watching sports.  I don't want to watch a one sided game (of whatever sport it is), no matter who is winning.  I am a Raider's fan and tehy killed Denver earlier this year scoring more points then they have ever done so before in history (and Denver scored poorly), as much as I wanted my team to win (which they did) I was so bored I turned the game off.  It wasn't dramatic.  It's the same principle. 

Season two for example had the famous foot race, and that was a nail bitting finale and I didn't like either team.  But I was on the edge of my seat watching the whole time.  That didn't occur for me this episode, and not even just at the end but pretty much from leaving the bungee.

I see, I'm not sure if there is actually a way to make it more dramatic, they even let a confessional before B/C comes.
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2010, 12:39:14 AM »
I've only seen the first two episodes and the finale tonight and this was the result I was hoping for.

Hopefully, I'll be able to see TAR18 in its entirety. Unfinished Business isn't the best title, but I like the teams there.
That would explain why we haven't seen you much.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »
First time we got eliminated teams got screentime?

In Season 16, Louie & Michael and Jordan & Jeff also gave some words at the Finish Line.

All-Stars 2 would have sounded much cooler! Unfinished Business is just so...ugh..  :cmas5

Too bad they did'nt use the dramatic music for the race to the Finish Line this season. :cmas4

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »
furybaby

Yeah Nat & Kat just ran a really strong leg, factor in everything else and teams just weren't close.  With nearly twenty minutes of footage left we all should have been able to see not only who won, but also how 2nd and third would fall.

I don't think any finale as ever been that way before.  Earlier season always had an some form of designed bunching (even when it didn't always bunch teams together, season 4 is a good example).  And once they moved to having all tasks after you arrive in the final city (thank you), we have never had such wide distance separate teams.  Even last year, with the big lead Dan & Jordan got out of the gate, Jet & Cord caught up (and then fall back behind).  But even then, all the teams didn't have such a wide level of separation.

And make no mistake, I would have a hundred finales like this, then going back to having designed bunching in the final episode.  I always, always hated that.  THis way the team that raced better wins.  In early seasons as long as you got to the bunching point in time, you only had to perform great in a small part of the leg.  Here for example Nat & Kat did great all through the leg with only a couple tiny hick ups.

This way a team wins or loses based off their performance, their choices and of course luck.

Even if I would rather see a close race (in legs designed like this) I would never change the format they have had since season 12.  

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
All-Stars 2 would have sounded much cooler! Unfinished Business is just so...ugh..  :cmas5

Amazing Race...........just how would you define an Amazing Race All Star........what attributes would they possess to be called a TAR All Star?

Or anyone else can answer also.....just what would be a TAR All Star.....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:57:19 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2010, 01:21:44 AM »
Amazing Race...........just how would you define an Amazing Race All Star........what attributes would they possess to be called a TAR All Star?
Or anyone else can answer also.....just what would be a TAR All Star.....

To be honest, I don't think anyone in TAR 18 is All-Star worthy, except *****, ******, ******* and perhaps ******. What I meant was I much rather have them call it All-Stars 2 than 'Unfinished Business'.

An Amazing Race All-Star should be memorable, unique, record-setting, most loved or hated.

In TAR All-Stars, we had a number of All-Star worthy teams/racers, like Charla & Mirna, Rob & Amber, Uchenna & Joyce, Dustin & Kandice, Teri & Ian, Oswald & Danny, Eric and Joe & Bill. They are all remembered for something and are classic teams, that are hard to replicate in recent seasons. Which is why the older seasons have more substance, in my opinion.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:02:35 AM by AmazingRace »

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2010, 01:43:58 AM »
Belle Book, one overjoyed Nat & Kat fan

Make it TWO! :cmas26

THREE!!!!!

I love Nat and Kat so much I didn't even dare to believe that they would win. (I know, that sounds weird not to have faith in your favourite team.) But after TAR 12 and TAR 15 where I believed that my favourite teams would win and they lost, I decided not to have my hopes too high anymore.

That said, I don't care if the finale wasn't exciting. It sure was for me, because half the time I was so anxious that a team would catch up to Nat and Kat (especially Jill and Thomas) so I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And then Brook and Claire looked like they had such a smooth traffic compared to Nat and Kat. In the end, Nat and Kat won. I almost fainted when they arrived at the Finish Line. Like, did that really happen? NAT AND KAT WON????

Who would have thought that the top two teams would be all-female teams! Even if Nat and Kat really won, I'd have predicted the second place team to be Jill and Thomas. Well, maybe the finale wasn't that exciting for many, but I guess many of us wouldn't have expected the final outcome to be like that.

My guess is wrong, Jill and Thomas didn't win. But I'm eating my words ever so happily. Because Nat and Kat surprised me and WON!!!!!

NAT AND KAT!!!!!! HISTORY IS MADE!!!!!!!!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »
Wow, my favorite team actually won for a change! :yess: Kudos to N/K for an amazing last leg!

Now that the season is over, I'll offer a general overlook over the season. This is definitely one of my top 5 now; even though we went to only 2 new countries, there were definitely legs that felt new: England, Ghana, Swedish Lapland, St. Petersburg during the summer (instead of winter), Jebel Shams in Oman, Bangladesh, and S. Korea.

Really, there were no horrendous legs this season! The only leg I would consider unoriginal is Narvik (and maybe HK).

On a related note, did anyone notice that there's a 7-roadblock rule now? I'm surprised.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »
And I love the Pit-stop Greeter task. I'm sure by now, teams would be writing notes about all the legs. But they can't really write much about the pit-stop greeter (maybe they wouldn't even think of that) because it's something visual. I thought that it would have been a rather difficult task, but apparently they did not the the teams struggling much. Maybe they just have a fantastic memory, because I feel that I would have struggled with that.

With that, this is my favourite season EVER. And this marks the third season my favourite team has won. Awesome!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:16 AM »
And I love the Pit-stop Greeter task. I'm sure by now, teams would be writing notes about all the legs. But they can't really write much about the pit-stop greeter (maybe they wouldn't even think of that) because it's something visual.

I agree!  :cmas16 I was so excited to see Pit-Stop Greeters from past seasons!  :cmas9 I remember seeing the one from S11 E2 on the screen! It was so cool!  :cmas22

I myself was trying to play along, by guessing which seasons it comes from.  :cmas23

P.S Love the various shots of the Korean Air B747-4B5! (and couple that with California Gurls! XD) :xmas146
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:08:05 AM by AmazingRace »

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »
I love the final task too, but TAR:LA 1 already did this before, so it was more of a matter of "how soon" rather than "when" will the US TAR do this. :lbf

And grats to Nat & Kat! :D
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2010, 04:13:26 AM »
I am ashamed/proud of myself. I recognised EVERY SINGLE ONE of the greeters. From Songwe to Venice to Syyyyydneeeey to Seoul (TAR4) to San Pedro de Atacama to Ouarzazate to Sandakan to Jaipur to Marrakech to Kuwait City to Gmunden to Kota Kinabalu to Vac to Dubai (TAR15) to Darwin to Almaty to Phoenix to St Remy de Provence!

(A lot of TAR 4 ones. Interesting.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:28:09 AM by Neobie »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2010, 04:16:42 AM »
I am ashamed/proud of myself. I recognised EVERY SINGLE ONE of the greeters. From Songwe to Sydney to Seoul (TAR4) to San Pedro de Atacama to Kota Kinabalu to Darwin to St Remy de Provence!

I managed to recognize a few too! :cmaslol Be proud to be a mega TAR fan!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »
THIS IS UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST FINALE EPISODE EVEEEEEEEERRRRRR!

What I really really really really realllllllllyyyyyy liked the most about this leg ARE:

1. The first 5 seconds were really dynamic and it made me squeal
2. The very awesome narration of Phil as he describes the Temple of Heaven as the 11th pitstop.
3. The repetitive heartblaster sounds as the Korean air flight leaves the ground with the teams flashing.
4. The California Girls unexpected debut!
5. The second California Girls appearance! (Hmm... it is a giveaway that California Girls, Nat and Kat will own the entire California and the world.)
6. The very very very awesome description of the tasks combined with Phil's new energetic voice.
7. The camera and airshot scenes during the bungee swing task.
8. The helicopter shots and scenes as they head to the Rose Bowl.
9. I don't know why, but the appearance of 2009 Rose Queen was fascinating
10. The very very very very sneaky and amazing Don Quixote puzzle that will lead them to the studios.
11. The very very very very shocking and jaw-dropping memory tasks that I'm sure no one has ever thought that pitstop greeters during the race wore a headdress.
12. The very very very very nervewracking final challenge itself!
13. The gameshow host Bob (Barker? I'm not sure with his last name) and his vibe and hilariously funny facial reactions
14. The Los Angeles people not understanding good english as compared with people from Dhaka.
15. Brook and Claire squeals with glee each and every minute of their screentime, making me laugh and be very excited.
16. Nat and Kat's "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm In A Race" polite but very frantic phonecall.
17. The repeated mention of the word Google.
18. That Jill and Thomas did not win.
19. That Jill and Thomas did not win.
20. That Jill and Thomas did not win.
21. The Nat and Kat vs. Brook and Claire race to the finish line. It's a win win situation.
22. THAT NAT AND KAT WON THE RACE! FINALLY! AN ALL-GIRL TEAM WINS!
23. THAT BROOK AND CLAIRE GOT SECOND! Although I was wishing that they'll win, it's okay anyways.
24. Seeing how Katie and Rachel were made as the bitter queens, but I think the editors painted them to be like this even if they were not at that moment.
25. That Jill and Thomas did not win.
26. That Jill and Thomas did not win.
27. That I get to hear sweet Mallory's voice at the Finish Line
28. With the special announcement of TAR18's season
29. Seeing a great montage of players from seasons past
30. Maria and Tiffany's intro speech making it to the promo

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT Jet and Cord ruining it in the end. Yuck. :res: That's my only complaint.

THE. BEST. FINALE. EPISODE. EVER.

But the fun is over. :'( No more TAR 17 to watch. No more Brook and Claire to entertain us. :'(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:36:54 AM by Cocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline GreenNegg

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:53 AM »
I feel really sad now that the season has come to an end. This is one of the BEST seasons EVER imho. And I can't help but feel sad that the fun is over. *Sigh*  :cmas4

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2010, 05:36:33 AM »
I feel really sad now that the season has come to an end. This is one of the BEST seasons EVER imho. And I can't help but feel sad that the fun is over. *Sigh*  :cmas4

My sentiments exactly.  :cmas4 Now, there is nothing to look forward to on Mondays, except a permanent blue Monday. (Local Time)  :cmas4

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:45 AM »
It's best absolutely season ever... :csmo
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:59 AM »
Back on Season 14, I was randomly suggesting (well, not a word that best describes what I'm trying to say) for a finale task that involved Pitstop Greeters and the objects around them. But I totally lost that idea and got shocked until now!

TAR has really been great this season! Thank goodness sucky challenges belong to sucky season (Poker Chip challenge in S15, and Psychedelic posters in S16) and awesome challenges belong to awesome seasons (TAR 17 Greeters, TAR 12 Logic Puzzles, TAR 14 Surfboards, TAR 13 1 Million Clueboxes)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:31:46 AM by Cocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
But Uchenna and Joyce won and the final task that season was absolutely lame. :cmaslol

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
But Uchenna and Joyce won and the final task that season was absolutely lame. :cmaslol

You're right I can't even remember what it was. Something about a cigar shop?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.