Author Topic: Things I've Learned From The Amazing Race 17  (Read 11529 times)

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
Things I've Learned From The Amazing Race 17
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Since we're at the end of this season, I've done some reflecting about how sometimes when we get older, we do tend to forget life's lessons or simply ignore things that will always be important. The craziness that has happened this season made me create this list of some knowledge that is good to have and sometimes even more important to remember if we're ever on a race for a million dollars. A lot of this was created from the things I've read people say but none of this list is directly taken from anyone's comments anywhere. This is all for laughs and I hope that those who do read this do get a laugh.

Things I’ve Learned From Amazing Race 17:

Always read everything. You never know when failing to read one line will cost you a million dollars. And if someone tells you that you did something wrong early on, maybe that is a good time to go back and correct yourself instead of continuing on like you don’t understand.

Going to Notre Dame doesn’t make you an asshole. There are plenty of people who went to good schools and take pride in that. But mentioning that school possibly nine years after you graduated like it’s an all access pass to greatness and holding your education over someone else’s head does make you an asshole.

Bigger is not always better. Having muscles is cool but if all that muscle is only for show then major fail. I understand that ascending is quite difficult because you need upper body strength as well as lower body strength. But don’t have anyone film you doing push ups and bench pressing your girlfriend because we’re going to hold you to a higher standard.

Athletes can’t do it all. Don’t brag about your skills and not live up to that. Not all athletic skills are interchangeable. Remember Michael Jordan’s career with the White Sox? If you put someone down because of a perceived notion they are not as athletic as you are, and they manage to do something athletic that you can’t do or better than you, then you look like a bigger jerk.

The early bird does not always get the worm. Don’t complain and later try to call people out when they withhold information from you about early flights. If you’re in a race and are at the airport at least three hours before those people got there, you have more than enough time to secure an early flight and should not be spurred into action by their actions.

Don’t discount the little things. Yes we all know that all the action happens at the tasks but an important factor is getting there. If you downplay getting an early flight, sitting closer to the door, getting bumped up to first class, and/or getting a taxi before everyone else, you will never have an edge over your competition. Sometimes those little things are the difference between staying in the race/winning and being eliminated/losing.

You are the master of your own destiny. Getting lost and being behind is no excuse. If you notice you’ve been driving a long time and still haven’t found what you’re looking for, please ask for directions. Don’t be afraid to ask people to break it down just in case you continue to travel in the wrong direction. Most important, put your foot down on the pedal and drive faster if you need to make up time.

Always make the right choices. The choices are always going to be fast and hard or slow and easy. If you’re in last, and your body can take it, always pick the fast task to try to gain some ground. You never know how close it could put you to the team in front of you.

Breathing is important. If you’re racing around the world with an asthmatic, don’t yell at them when they can’t breathe. It only makes you look like an asshole. Try to calm your teammate down and help him or her breathe and if necessary, be a pal and carry their backpack.

Always get your facts right. If you’re going to **** talk, at least say the right things. Yeah we’re going to dislike you even more if you talk smack to a favorite team even if it’s only for the purpose of trying to get in their heads. But if you feel you must, the least you can do is insult them about who they really are. Now not only do you look like a sore loser, you look like a dumb, sore loser.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Things I've Learned From The Amazing Race 17
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
Should be required reading for all future applicants!

Nice!  :cmas16
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
Terrific!!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:34:07 AM »
Which point above is directed to Katie and Rachel? :mas25

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:18 AM »
This topic is interesting. I wish I'd thought of it!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:21:51 AM »
Aside from lessons of real life, I also learned several educational things like:

1. Accra is pronounced as "AHKra" and not "ahKRA".
2. Stonehenge is just a pile of rocks ~Vicki. can be found near the road, I thought it was on a secluded location.
3. Gorodki is the Russian equivalent of Bowling.

and many more. :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »
I'd never heard of gorodki before this season.
I never thought there would ever be a FF team worth pulling for.
I never knew that Bangledesh was so densly populated.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline SkyWriter9

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I most certainly did get a laugh- because everything is true!

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:04 AM »
Aside from lessons of real life, I also learned several educational things like:

1. Accra is pronounced as "AHKra" and not "ahKRA".
2. Stonehenge is just a pile of rocks ~Vicki. can be found near the road, I thought it was on a secluded location.
3. Gorodki is the Russian equivalent of Bowling.

and many more. :tup:

Exactly my sentiments.  :xmas146

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
I learned that a TV show could actually bring wonderful new friends into my life.....  :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »
Good topic!
I agree with everything except this...
Most important, put your foot down on the pedal and drive faster if you need to make up time.

This made me shed a little tear... :cmas17
I learned that a TV show could actually bring wonderful new friends into my life.....  :kuss:
Or maybe its because I just finished watching "Its a Wonderful Life". :cmas19
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »
I also learnt that it's not a matter about all-male or alpha-male or strong dating couple. Many times, it's really dependent on good directions and most importantly team-work. Just look at how well Gary and Mallory did with 3 or 4 2nd places in a row and i can tell you nobody would have expected them to do so well amongst all the other strong teams in their crowd. Of course the alpha-males/all-male teams do have an edge. But looked what happened to Connor and Jonathan without good directions and poor team work. (changing of Detour once one party cannot complete it)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
The whole thread is a keeper for me!  :cmas16
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Rogue

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
Good topic!
I agree with everything except this...
Most important, put your foot down on the pedal and drive faster if you need to make up time.

I remember watching Season 6 where they would be on open roads and would pass each other. I'm not saying drive 100 but at least if the speed limit is 40, drive 45.

Joab, Katie and Rachel definitely fit into more than one of those. I included something for everyone except Andie and Jenna.

I like how you all are thinking about other things you have learned from the race. It definitely does open your eyes to places you may have never learned about before. I'm not much of a bowler, except on the Wii but I would love to attempt to play gorodki.
You don't always win the race by making the best forward moves but you make it by avoiding the huge moves that set you back. -Nat

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »
The only thing I could add is that teams should keep in mind the consequences of their actions. (Penalties, Falling behind other teams, not paying attention to what's going on unless you want to be eliminated)

That last one applies to several teams this season.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
The only thing I could add is that teams should keep in mind the consequences of their actions. (Penalties, Falling behind other teams, not paying attention to what's going on unless you want to be eliminated)

And i think the last time a team got eliminated because they were so far behind was in TAR 13 where AJ and Ty (I can't remember anyone else in the next 3 seasons after that) never caught up. That at least happened to two teams this season - Katie and Rachel and Nick and Vicki. I would say, never assume and bank on bunching on the next leg. Whatever happens this leg, will ultimately affect what happens next leg.

Offline KevinTheAmazingRaceFAN

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
I learned that London is a country!! :)

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
I learned that you can still have a great season without including the Travelocity Roaming Gnome! :lol3:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
I learned that you can still have a great season without including the Travelocity Roaming Gnome! :lol3:

OMG. Now i agree! But at least product placements are not that bad as compared to... TARA. :cmas29

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »

And i think the last time a team got eliminated because they were so far behind was in TAR 13 where AJ and Ty (I can't remember anyone else in the next 3 seasons after that) never caught up. That at least happened to two teams this season - Katie and Rachel and Nick and Vicki. I would say, never assume and bank on bunching on the next leg. Whatever happens this leg, will ultimately affect what happens next leg.

Lorena & Jason in Season 12.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »

redskooky, i said after AJ and Ty's season. :cmas27

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »

Flight Time and Big Easy
Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »

Flight Time and Big Easy

They fell behind during the leg, so I'm not really sure that counts. The ones I can think of are Mark & Mike and Jordan & Jeff.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
Oh yes Raymond.. Mark and Mike! Jordan and Jeff.. i'm not sure. They're just really slow. They might have the chance to catch up. But yep, Mark and Mike definitely!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »

We did, didn't we! I missed the Gnome!

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.