Author Topic: Britain's Big Brother was taken off the air  (Read 4188 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Britain's Big Brother was taken off the air
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:52:04 AM »
BLOODY HELL: Britain's Big Brother was taken off the air Thursday after a
riot broke out in the flat. The housemates reportedly threatened to kill
each other and had to be dragged apart by security guards. This would have
never happened on Julie Chen's watch. ?:)

TODAY'S INSIDER:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider

Offline pittgirl

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Britain's Big Brother was taken off the air
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 08:46:10 AM »
That's one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 10:35:08 AM »
I have seen the video of the incident, and it was crazy!!!

You really don't see anything happen because they showed a lot of the backyard! And they scream a lot, but when those Brits get excited, you cannot understand them AT ALL with thier accent! You hear a lot of the word "Faoucking". That is how it sounds! LOL, it was CRAZY

Rob

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 12:34:08 PM »
Thanks alot  Rob now i have to google the word  "Faoucking".  :D :D :D

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 12:38:33 PM »
Police probe brawl in Britain's BB House

June 18 2004 at 04:03PM 

By Jane Wardell

London - Big Brother wanted conflict, Big Brother got conflict. And how.

Several early morning viewers of the reality TV show phoned the police this week when insults, threats and the odd kitchen implement started flying in a boozy brawl that left the set a shambles.

Hertfordshire police reviewed tapes of the incident with an eye for criminal charges and a university criminologist severed his ties with the show Friday as behavioural experts blamed the production company's pursuit of ratings for the fracas.

She launched a serving tray at him
Faced with flagging popularity for a tired format, producer Edemol came up with the slogan "Big Brother Gets Evil" for this fifth series. The house was made smaller to encourage discomfort and the 12 contestants chosen had little in common, including a political activist, an aspiring topless model, a former asylum seeker from Somalia and transsexual.

The volatile combination of different personalities and dirty tricks proved explosive and security guards were sent into the house early Thursday morning for the first time in the history of the show to break up the fighting.

Channel 4, which broadcasts the show, cut the live TV feed but several horrified viewers saw enough to contact police. OFCOM, the government's media watchdog, is also investigating after receiving complaints from viewers.

Behavior experts said the brawling was an inevitable - and possibly planned - result of a fake eviction last week.

The contestants left in the house believed that legal administrator Emma Greenwood, 20, and aspiring model Michelle Bass, 23, had been thrown out after a public vote.

It paid off in ratings
They were in fact placed in a studio apartment on the same site and allowed to observe the others for a week, hearing several negative comments about themselves.

The pair were also encouraged to play tricks on the other contestants. They took revenge on their greatest critics by giving one a series of cold showers, placing eggs in the bed of another and cooking a chili chocolate cake for a third.

They were returned to the house late on Wednesday evening, triggering a confrontation.

Greenwood hurled insults at student Victor Ebuwa, 23, whom she had seen accusing her of being stupid, boring and racist. She launched a serving tray at him and he retaliated by pouring a glass of wine over her and shouting threats.

Bodybuilder Jason Cowen, 30, screamed at 21-year-old student Marco Sabba who had instigated a food fight with Greenwood: "I'll knock you out! I'll take your head off, end of story."

Greenwood was isolated on the set in solitary confinement on Friday.

"Putting a group of strangers together in a tiny house is bad enough," said Professor Cary Cooper, professor of psychology at Lancaster University. "Take some of them into isolation and show them what people say about them when they're not there, and things are likely to explode."

But it paid off in ratings. Seven million viewers tuned in to watch the fracas on a highlights show Thursday evening, representing a huge surge in ratings after a big drop-off following similar figures for the launch show on May 28. The show's website slowed to a crawl on Friday as it tried to cope with thousands of hits.

The incident prompted Professor David Wilson, a criminologist at the University of Central England in Birmingham who was a consultant with the show to withdraw. Wilson said it was now "inappropriate" for him to be associated the programme.

Cooper warned that the producers were playing a dangerous game.

"They have to be quite careful because someone could get hurt," he said. - Sapa-AP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brother brawl
June 18, 2004 - 12:44PM

Print this article 
  Email to a friend 

A fragile peace seems to have been restored to Britain's Big Brother, following the shocking brawl which tore the house apart.

Police are investigating events in the TV house after security guards were called in to quell the fighting in the early hours of Thursday.

Several of the warring housemates face possible criminal charges over the violence, and Channel 4 cut the live TV feed from 2-3am as the situation spiralled out of control.

During the most violent scenes, arch enemies Emma and Victor had to be dragged apart by other housemates.

Emma - bubbling with rage after overhearing Victor brand her racist and stupid while she was locked away in the bedsit - threw a tray at him as their row exploded.

Victor responded by throwing a glass of white wine over her.

Police said they were viewing tapes of the fracas and deciding whether or not to press charges.

"Following a number of calls from members of the public regarding an alleged incident in the Big Brother house last night, Hertfordshire Constabulary can confirm it will be obtaining a videotape of the incident later today," the police spokeswoman said.

"Officers are currently liaising with members of the Big Brother production team to see what further action needs to be taken."

Now in its fifth British series, Big Brother is facing declining public interest and low ratings, which production staff have endeavoured to combat though a series of stunts.

Over the past week, two female contestants whom the others thought had been ejected from the house were placed in an adjoining so-called "bedsit", from which they could secretly watch their fellows make disparaging comments about them.

This evening the duo were returned to the main house to face the others - with turbulent consequences.

The live television feed was cut for an hour as security guards had to be called in after one contestant threatened to tear another's head off and another duo almost came to blows.

Offline pittgirl

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:00:26 PM »
I wonder if Ali & Jun were living there???? ?:)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:42:38 PM »
 :D :D no doubt Pittgirl..LOL
This story just gets crazier ~

Emma Still in 'Solitary' after Big Brother Brawl

By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor, PA News

Emma spent a second night in the Big Brother bedsit as producers ignored her pleas to be let back into the house.

Security guards packed her off to the bedsit after her brawl with Victor in the early hours of yesterday.

Emma spent the day begging to be let out of solitary confinement and promising to behave.

She apologised for her “appalling” behaviour and even offered to make up with Victor.

But bosses refused her requests amid fears her return may spark another row.

“I’m perfectly fine,” she told Big Brother. “I’ll leave it, brush it under the carpet, make the peace.

“I’m willing to forget about it. I won’t even raise my voice. I’m going to be cool as a cucumber. Please, Big Brother.”

But her pleas fell on deaf ears and she remained in the bedsit with the door locked.

By 3am today she was become increasingly desperate.

“I want someone to come and talk to me,” she begged, “only for a couple of hours.”

Big Brother told her the housemates were asleep and would not be talking to her.

The 20-year-old Oldham girl, by now in tears, went on: “I’m wide awake and I just want to make friends with everybody and apologise for everything.

“If anyone’s up, even if it’s Victor – and I know he is – I’ll talk to him.

“I won’t argue, I won’t raise my voice. There’s no point in me sat in here.”

She sobbed: “I won’t behave like that ever again, and I’m really sorry. I swear on my great-grandmother’s grave – and she’ll come back and haunt me.”

Emma eventually went to bed after Big Brother’s repeated refusals to let her out.

But they are expected to let her back into the house today.

Meanwhile, Victor and Jason were still plotting to “take out” their enemies – Marco, Nadia and Emma.

“It’s time to start taking out the trash,” Victor said. “No more seals to feed, no more cackling witches, no more women from Oldham.”

Vanessa and Dan are up for eviction tonight and Vanessa is the bookies’ favourite to go.

She and Jason have enjoyed a romance in the house – but behind her back he said her eviction would be “a good thing”.

“I’ll miss her like mad,” he told Victor and Dan. “I get on great with her, but it’ll be good from a selfish point of view.”

He explained: “A lot of the time I’ve been thinking about her. I’d be able to concentrate on...”

“On me!” chipped in Dan, who has made little secret of his desire for the Scottish bodybuilder.

“... on the Big Brother experience,” finished Jason.

A fragile peace has been restored to the house after the brawl, with all those involved apologising for their behaviour.

Police are investigating events after receiving calls from worried viewers