Author Topic: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone  (Read 45869 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Map Thread For TAR18: The Holding Zone
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
I thought it would be neat to show the solution to a conundrum that has been bugging me: Where is Shelly Beach?
It turns out that there are actually two Shelly Beaches, one dozens of km north of Manly and the other between Manly and the North Head section. It is the latter which was the pit stop location for episode 1.

The walk from Manly to Shelly Beach invlves the following:

The walk from Manly to Shelly Beach past Fairy Blower is along an oceanside path lined with the occasional sculptures and park benches allowing you to pause and take in the views. The path passes some beautiful homes, a gift shop and rock pools. Most days swimmers, snorkellers, scuba divers and surfers take to the seas.
Shelly Beach is an idyllic little beach fringed with palms. It makes a perfect setting for the cafe and the popular Le Kiosk restaurant. Shelly is usually much quieter than Manly Beach and ideal for relaxing in the afternoon sun for a few hours.

Remember that teams came there from wherever the 16 foot skiffs dropped them off and that some teams went directly from Manly Beach to Sydney by taxi and bypassed the walk.

MAP CENTERED ON SHELLY BEACH

Take the zoom control out two to see Manly Beach just on top of the Tasman Sea side of the North Head section of Sydney Harbour National Park

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
I thought it would be neat to show the solution to a conundrum that has been bugging me: Where is Shelly Beach?
It turns out that there are actually two Shelly Beaches, one dozens of km north of Manly and the other between Manly and the North Head section. It is the latter which was the pit stop location for episode 1.

I believe that is the solution Neobie has in his maps of the leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
Oh, I just added that in - I had the map on my computer but neglected to put it in my original post along with the rest! So... thanks Apskip for the research, and for the reminder!

(The problem was somewhat less evident for us, as during the spoiling season we had that place listed as Cabbage Tree Bay, which reduced the ambiguity of the name Shelly Beach.)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 06:52:19 AM »

In episode 2 we see this (which also answers the question):

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Till Neobie gets his detailed maps up, here is a general map of the locations of TAR18, Episode 3 in Japan.

Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
Thanks, Doc!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Seeing the locations plotted out confirms the impression that the teams had a long route to travel along for this leg around the Tokyo area.

It sure looks as if the team have a long ride back to Narita to start the next leg.

Thanks for the plotting, Dr. Rox.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
The route info marker for the detours was in Minamia-Shigara. For an exercise in seeing how they might have driven. Put that in for GE driving directions, to go from there to the Pit Stop near Kurihama Station. It is about 2-3 blocks from the station to the Pit Stop in Perry Park. You can see the time estimate and length of the drive in GE.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
Since it appears that the Racers start Episode 4 with a drive from Kurihama to Narita, here is a GE map with GE driving route. It says 2 hours and 30 minutes for the trip. I would assume that means if you are very comfortable driving on the left and can read the route signs in Japanese.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:54:01 AM by DrRox »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
Why there, looks like I'm out of a job! You guys are incredible this week, special kudos to Slowhatch, Chateau, Kenchan and DrRox for finding out everything!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:26:22 PM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
No way Neobie!! Thanks!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Neobie is King of the Yellow Line. I am just a poor temporary stand in. All I can do is stick map pins on the map........you connect all the dots!!!!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
General Area......Stone Forest is way to the right.

Downtown Kunming.........the W Turn pin represents the two near by Detour choices also.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:41:54 AM by DrRox »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »
Per Peach's request, a map of Kolkata Detour stuff.
Deys 13 Bankim Chatterjee st.
Rakhal Paul Bonomali Sarkar st.
Tiwali tea Madan Chatterjee lane
Victoria girls school Acharya Prafulla Chandra Rd

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Lijiang maps. Thanks to DrRox, Slowhatch, and all the others!

Looks like the "prayer wheel" was at the Selling Grass Place after all, but looking at photos of the plaza by other tourists it looks like it's just an amazing prop...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:29:51 PM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
Kunming maps. I've eaten at that exact McDonald's before! :lol:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:32:09 PM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:47 PM »
Credit, of course, to Slowhatch!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:32:31 PM by Neobie »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
A Varanasi map in progress: the hay alley and dairy farm, as well as the tonga, are still unknown.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »
Pick your own favorite map of Liechtenstein; there are several to choose from since it is such a tiny place. The northern end is just west of Feldkirch Austria. The western border is close to Buchs Switzerland. The southwestern border is just above Sargans Switzerland.

Here is my point: There is no place for a non-mountainous moped run other than the E43 or Route 13, which are parallel or sometimes the same. I bet that the moped course will be north-south or south-north.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »
It appears to me, though, that Route 13 is on the Swiss side of the border.  My guess would be Hwy 28, Landstrasse, Feldkircher Strasse.  And since they are going from Austria to Switzerland, it would make sense to go North to South.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »
It appears to me, though, that Route 13 is on the Swiss side of the border.  My guess would be Hwy 28, Landstrasse, Feldkircher Strasse.  And since they are going from Austria to Switzerland, it would make sense to go North to South.

The western border between Liechtenstein and Switzerland is the middle of the Rhine River. The 12/A-13 is on the Switz side of the river and like Chill-sd, just cant see them using that road. Plus it is extremely high traffic. As fast and loose as production has been with there descriptions this race, I suspect they got the mopeds at the Feldkirk border crossing and used the last bridge just SW of Balzers to cross back into Switzerland. It is a pretty low traffic crossing and smaller bridge. They will have to have lots of production people to collect the mopeds, etc. It is also not far from Sargans where we know that Kisah/Jen boarded the train to begin the journey to Zermatt.

Likely route for moped:
Feldkirk border crossing
to
Schaan
to
Vaduz
to
Balzers
to
Balzers border crossing
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:53:44 AM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:35 AM »
Dr. Rox:

I see your point about Rout 13 being just on the Swiss side of the border. However, E43 appears completely inside the Liechtenstein side of the border. I can visualize this road as having significant traffic, which makes its use inexplicable. However, there is no other single road which can provide a north-south (or south-north) route. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »
Dr. Rox:

I see your point about Rout 13 being just on the Swiss side of the border. However, E43 appears completely inside the Liechtenstein side of the border. I can visualize this road as having significant traffic, which makes its use inexplicable. However, there is no other single road which can provide a north-south (or south-north) route. 

apskip:

On Google Earth, the E43 (green sign) appears to be the Autobahn on the Swiss side of the Rhine. The 13/A13 (Blue sign) appear to be the pre-Autobahn highway in that area of Switzerland, sort of like the parallel US Highway 80 and Interstate 20 in my part of the world. Across the Rhine from northern Liechtenstein, the E43 has another 13 sign on it, this sign in in orange. So there are two different 13 signs, one in blue and one in orange, but not on the same road. If that makes sense.

On GE, there are no highway numbered roads in Liechtenstein, they only have street names. My proposed route is the 191 (blue sign) out of Feldkirk to the boarder. Then the same road is called Feldkirkerstrasse. Further south around Schaan, it becomes Landstrasse all the way through Vaduz and to Balzers. West and Southwest of Balzers there are two bridges across the Rhine. One on Gagoz (street/road) and the other on Rheinstrasse (street/road). Both bridges connect to Tubbach, Switzerland. Tubbach is maybe a mile north of Sargans, where we know Kisha/Jen boarded the train for Zurich.

Liechtenstein only had a population of about 30,000. I, personally, wonder just how high the density of travel on those main roads are. There are a couple of more remote border crossings in the far norht of Liechtenstein, but it seems to me to be problematic getting teams to them, to start the moped ride. The Highway 191 crossing only appears to be a couple of miles from the Feldkirk train station. Maybe Neobie can clarify, since he had boots on the ground there.

In the end, it just depends on what production wanted to do anyway. They are going to have to have space for a lot of people and vehicles where ever they start and stop the moped ride. It appears to me that the other team member and film crew travel along in a van to the other end of the ride. So production will have lots of crew for this little show.