Author Topic: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**  (Read 217471 times)

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
Re: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:10 PM »
LOL!!  :lol3:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
i find start line of the amazing race 18 guys i dont where post so excuss tell

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #427 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »

apskip, im sorry if i offended you in any way

RealityTVisthe Best,

It's no harm, no foul so you did not offend me. You have a right to your point of view, but it is not the only valid point of view on the number of continents.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:44:28 PM by apskip »

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #428 on: January 19, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
i have compare this is Start Line of The Amaizng Race 18 is ..............................Alta Wind Energy Center is start line of race i see dirty where team start in so it start line

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #429 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
i have compare this is Start Line of The Amaizng Race 18 is ..............................Alta Wind Energy Center is start line of race i see dirty where team start in so it start line

I think we already found it ZBC_Company. its in the timeline thread.  :tup:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #430 on: January 19, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
If it really is Qantas out of LAX, then that sets a new record, half-again as long as the drive out of Pahrump (TAR2).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #431 on: January 19, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
I can drill it down a little bit: the permit (bottom of page) lists Whitewater Canyon as the spot.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #432 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
Whitewater Canyon, Riverside Co. T3S, R3E, Section 12, SW1/4

Actually, that's pretty specific if you ask me.
T3S, R3E, Section 12, SW1/4
is an exact location referencing a legal subdivision map for that area. If I understand the references T=Township (3 S(outh?)), R=Range (3 E(ast?)) Section 12, in the SouthWest 1/4 (one-quarter).
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #433 on: January 19, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Couldn't say. There are special maps (usually done by surveyors) that are used as the basis for the legal description of land for property deeds and other land records. What that description was from tells me that the Bureau of Land Management (U.S. Department of the Interior) uses the legal descriptions of locations for identifying "projects."

One would need to look at a copy of the surveyor's maps that are probably on file with Riverside County in order to pin down the exact plot of land. BLM may also have such maps on file, but I don't want to say that for a fact since I've never had to look for a location that way.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #435 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »
Here's an online BLM map and this explains the co-ordinates. If I'm reading it correctly (big if), T3S R3E Section 12 SW 1/4 would put production in the vicinity of Painted Hills Rd. It's next to the I10, but you can't see the highway in the promo. ???

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #436 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Interestingly, Slowhatch's location is in the same area (almost) as where I was finding matching views:

(more to follow)

The GE view matches this shot for likely Sun angle and slope.  It gets better...
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
It is rather far from the I10   :lol:  I guess they wandered   :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
The key to match are these old style wind machine towers made like radio towers.  There are not very many of them in the farm.

The old style towers appear in the promo shot her in the upper right:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:14 PM »
I think you guys are very close. I am trying to find the name of that particular quadrangle map with those Township/Range coordinates. They are made by the USGS.....not many of them are online. They want you to buy them. The BLM uses the USGS maps..
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #440 on: January 19, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »
Another thing that connects are these characteristic double pole transmission lines:

They are few in number on the farm.  But we have some in our promo of the startline.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »
It looks like the location of the start line is closer to the designated film permit location:

I found a line of those double pole transmission towers next to the modern style wind turbines.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #442 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
Here it is relative to the I10

I have a better location ... not far from the one shown here.  Read on  :tup:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:55:58 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #443 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:59 PM »
Good job Chateau...........looks like a benchmark right behind Phil to his right......under your orange circle.

Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #444 on: January 19, 2011, 11:55:36 PM »
Actually, I think I found it using the BLM map link.
There is a narrow body of water labeled "White Water." There is a road called White Water Cutoff west of the south end of that body of water, that becomes "Old Morango Road" that runs very close to I-10 briefly then wiggles away from I-10 headed generally northeastward. On the correct scale, there is a set of 16 red outlined squares with a "12" in the middle, and the SW 1/4 are the four small red blocks that make up the southwest quadrant of the set of 16 red outline blocks with the "12" in the middle. That's the area being referenced in that project list that the land description came from. Once you get it to the correct scale it falls into place very easily, and you can see that the BLM land description is very clear. If you get to highway 82 that's to the east, you are too far to the east, if you are at the service road to the west of the "White Water" body of water, you are too far to the west.

BTW, I'm talking about the BLM reference, not necessarily where the start line was.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Actually, I think I found it using the BLM map link.
There is a narrow body of water labeled "White Water." There is a road called White Water Cutoff west of the south end of that body of water, that becomes "Old Morango Road" that runs very close to I-10 briefly then wiggles away from I-10 headed generally northeastward. On the correct scale, there is a set of 16 red outlined squares with a "12" in the middle, and the SW 1/4 are the four small red blocks that make up the southwest quadrant of the set of 16 red outline blocks with the "12" in the middle. That's the area being referenced in that project list that the land description came from. Once you get it to the correct scale it falls into place very easily, and you can see that the BLM land description is very clear. If you get to highway 82 that's to the east, you are too far to the east, if you are at the service road to the west of the "White Water" body of water, you are too far to the west.

BTW, I'm talking about the BLM reference, not necessarily where the start line was.

I think they have the start line in section 12 but in NW 1/4, not in SW1/4.  Just a little off.   :lol:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
Just for the record, when I made my cryptic message early this morning about finding information from last November that pointed TAR being in Palm Springs, I was referring to the Bureau of Land Management film permit that Slowhatch found. I should have passed it along. I'm not sure what I was thinking now. It was very late when I did that.

Anyway, I went as far as translating the range and township information into a latitude and longitude of 33.92176 N and 116.62823 W for the center of the southwest quadrant of section 12. I looked it up and saw that it was in the middle of a wind farm and left it at that. I'm glad to see that Slowhatch found it and Chateau has narrowed it down much better than I could have. Good work!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:45 AM »
I believe the filming permit might have been for Phil's stand-up as the teams arrive at the start line.  If so, that would explain the differences.  The film permit almost seems as if it puts the canyon into the background for Phil, then the camera's point of reference would shift via editing to the wind farm.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
You guys are wonderful!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
I believe the filming permit might have been for Phil's stand-up as the teams arrive at the start line.  If so, that would explain the differences.  The film permit almost seems as if it puts the canyon into the background for Phil, then the camera's point of reference would shift via editing to the wind farm.

Also, when they look to the south, the view of Mount San Jacinto will be spectacular from that location.  It has been used by California Plein Air painters for almost a century.

Arthur Merton Hazard