Author Topic: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**  (Read 217478 times)

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**
« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
Australian media is reporting that Broken Hill, NSW is starting to become an area of concern because of flash flooding and heavy rain in the forecast. Not as bad as other parts of the country so far, and hopefully it won't get to that point there.

Still, the show does have a rather awkward and odd tendency for disasters and semi-disasters to happen between filming and first airing of a Race.

Offline phant0m

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I hate you all.
« Reply #401 on: January 13, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
Australian media is reporting that Broken Hill, NSW is starting to become an area of concern because of flash flooding and heavy rain in the forecast. Not as bad as other parts of the country so far, and hopefully it won't get to that point there.

Still, the show does have a rather awkward and odd tendency for disasters and semi-disasters to happen between filming and first airing of a Race.

the "phil" factor? :/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #402 on: January 13, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
The poor denizens of Oz. A year and a half ago, they were suffering through one of the worse droughts they've ever had and extensive wildfires. That had a severe impact on world wheat prices for several years; and the price of food items containing wheat only came back down in the last six months or so.

This time it could impact manufactured or processed goods because much of Asia relies on coal from Oz, and the flooding has had a severe impact on transportation infrastructure.

Just be ready for some worldwide commodities and manufactured goods prices to head to the stratosphere very quickly as a result.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #403 on: January 14, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
The Gulf States, including Dubai, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain are east of Saudi Arabia. The western edge of Asia runs from Russia through the Caucasus Mountains region, through Turkey at the Bosporus, west to include Cyprus (you learn something new every day), then down through Syria, Lebanon, Israel and the Sinai Peninsula. It then goes south to Yemen.

The divisions between Asia and Europe occur at the Ural Mountains, Ural River and Caspian Sea in the east, the Caucasus Mountains and the Black Sea with its outlets, Bosporus and Dardanelles in the south. Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkey are considered part of both Europe and Asia. Armenia and Cyprus are entirely in Western Asia, but are sociopolitically European countries. The division between Asia and Africa is usually considered to be the Suez Canal, placing the Sinai peninsula in Asia, and therefore Egypt may be included as an Asian state.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2011, 07:51:35 AM »

I have to correct to you ( i am a geo major in the waiting) there is no Europe! it is one whole super continent with Asia.

And I have been an amateur geographer longer than you have been alive, so I can tell you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are at least these different models of how many continents there are:

7 continents
    North America
    South America
    Antarctica
    Africa
    Europe
    Asia
    Australia
6 continents
    North America
    South America
    Antarctica
    Africa
    Eurasia
    Australia
6 continents
    America
    Antarctica
    Africa
    Europe
    Asia
    Australia
5 continents
    America
    Africa
    Europe
    Asia
    Australia
5 continents
    America
    Antarctica
    Africa
    Eurasia
    Australia
4 continents
    America
    Antarctica
    Afro-Eurasia
    Australia

The seven-continent model is usually taught in China and most English-speaking countries. The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is preferred by the geographic community, the former states of the USSR (including Russia), and Japan. The six-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America, and some parts of Europe, including Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain. This model may be taught to include only the five inhabited continents (excluding Antarctica).

So, perhaps your geography professors are from the "geographic community" and will not acknowledge that there are many alternate viewpoints, some based on plate techtonics and others of political geography. I say pick the one that appeals to you, as I did in my original note.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #405 on: January 18, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »
Great post apskip!!!!

There is a difference between physical geography and social geography. I never understood why the Eurasia people always leave out India.....since it was its own continent once. Shouldn't it be Indoeurasia or maybe Eurasiaindo......oh well.

Soon (in earth time, not human time) the east African rift will split off about 20% of the continent......wonder what it will be called then?

The International Olympic Committee only recognizes 5 continents too.......the reason there are only 5 rings in the Olympic Flag.

I think we REALLY need for Feb 20th to hurry up and get here!!!!   :meow:
Matthew 7:15

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #406 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
This is a fascinating discussion! I was taught there were 7 continents, Europe and Asia being separate, but I see there is more than one model. I never gave much thought to the 5 rings in the Olympic flag either. Thanks for educating me.  :tup:

I don't think Eurasindo...or Indoeurasia will catch on though....
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #407 on: January 18, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Texas Lady.........once there was only one continent....Godwanaland........google it......lol

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #408 on: January 18, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
Texas Lady.........once there was only one continent....Godwanaland........google it......lol

Haha Gondwana  was after Pangaea (the supercontinent) split  :-[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:09:54 PM by Kandace_KML »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #409 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
According to the plate tectonic theorists, there was originally only one supercontinent, Pangaea, and at some future point in a few billion years plate movement will re-create it.
The biggest debate has usually been whether Australia should or shouldn't be counted as a continent....especially with all those islands lying between it and mainland Asia.
My understanding is that the Olympic Rings 5 continents are North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia. That is how the rings were said to reflect the continents on a world map centered on the Greenwich Line (0 degrees). Australia was ignored or treated as part of Asia (take your pick.) -- And that is just one piece of trivia I picked up as a resident of an Olympic City between 1989 and 1996.
:)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #410 on: January 19, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »
There are six continents!  Here they are:    :lol3:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #411 on: January 19, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »
So guess what we will be seeing along with those paper airplanes in Palm Springs!!!   :lol:

The new season of the seven-time Emmy-winning reality series kicks off in Palm Springs, Calif., where the teams must sort through hundreds of paper airplanes to find one of a handful that say "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services," figure out it's a little-used acronym for Qantas Airways, and board one of two flights to Sydney.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #412 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »
Well, if WRP wants to spoil the start line....

The TAR 18 Start line was actually at Windmill Farm in Palm Springs.

The new season of the seven-time Emmy-winning reality series kicks off in Palm Springs, Calif., where the teams must sort through hundreds of paper airplanes to find one of a handful that say "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services," figure out it's a little-used acronym for Qantas Airways, and board one of two flights to Sydney.

Other stops on the journey, filmed in November and December, include Japan and tiny Liechtenstein, a first-time destination, where racers had to measure the precise length of the country on mopeds.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2011-01-19-race19_ST_N.htm

And yes, that is the correct task in Liechtenstein. As a matter of fact, it is the ONLY task in Liechtenstein. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #413 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »
Now that I know where to look, it took me about 2 minutes to find information from back in November that suggested TAR 18 would be visiting Palm Springs.  :groan: The hard part is knowing where to look before it gets revealed.  :duno: It did take me a bit of time to confirm that the information pointed to the windmill site and not another location in the Palm Springs area.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:36:03 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #414 on: January 19, 2011, 08:50:40 AM »
Other stops on the journey, filmed in November and December, include Japan and tiny Liechtenstein, a first-time destination, where racers had to measure the precise length of the country on mopeds.

As you guys already know...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2011-01-19-race19_ST_N.htm

Offline gl14

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
Something I noticed while reading the profiles for the contestants on the official website. Many of them said they hoped to go to Brazil and Australia this season. 2 countries that actually made the cut. Furthermore, many of them said their favorite countries from their previous season was Thailand and India. Since India is on the route this season and Thailand is the Elimination Station, you think it's possible they asked their input for countries??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
No. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »
The database lists a few wind farms in the area, but I'll put my chips on San Gorgonio.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #418 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

And yes, that is the correct task in Liechtenstein. As a matter of fact, it is the ONLY task in Liechtenstein. :lol:
Haha, they released a lot; more than you would. :lol:

Nice find on the video by RealityFreakWill!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:00:49 PM by The Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #420 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
Anyway, what is a moped? :duno:

Here you go!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped

I did a bit of research before I posted the question, and that is waht came up. I was in disbelief, because I was thinking how do you measure with motorcycles?

In the intial post, I believe they are referring to riding a moped for that certain length rather than using them as a unit of measurement.

However even with bikes you can attach an odometer system.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:29:03 PM by The Prophet »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #421 on: January 19, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »

"I'm Phil Keoghan and I'm standing on in one of the largest wind energy producing farms in the world ..."   :lol:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #422 on: January 19, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »

"I'm Phil Keoghan and I'm standing on in one of the largest wind energy producing farms in the world ..."   :lol:

Good one Chateau!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »
LOL @ Chateau!!!

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
It has to be on his list of things to do.