Author Topic: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**  (Read 216876 times)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 18 Locations/Destinations **spoilers**
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
http://www.goandroam.com/webcams/australia/sydney/

Don't know if this will be of help...

Anyone we know on the ground?
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »

Anyone we know on the ground?

Please stop asking all of you...it isn't appropriate to ask right now.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
Sorry....soooo sorry, as always!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »
From FB:
The amazing race being filmed on MY ferry to manly!!
a few seconds ago via iPhone

Manly? What?
Manly is a suburb of northern Sydney

Yeah, I've been to Manly myself. But getting there from Lavender Bay requires backtracking to Circular Quay? And can teams be at the Lavender Bay clue box so quickly?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
It's 12:06, teams got out into Sydney at 10:15, it's plausible

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
Ferry to Manly:  30 min ride

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
Ferries every half-hour, that'll split the teams!

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 02:37:47 AM »
A cluebox!

EDIT: Sorry. Blanked the child out.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:57:21 AM by AmazingRace »

Offline CrazyMonkey

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 03:04:19 AM »
I have been to Oceanworld Manly lately, it is an awesome place for a task to take place. I would assume they are going to do a diving task there. I got to hold a snake when I went to oceanworld lol
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:42:41 AM by georgiapeach »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »
I think China's fair game as well, since they didn't go there in TAR 17.

Unless I missed the memo.....I do believe that Hong Kong is in China.....always has been. It was just leased to the English for about 100 years......it is the next episode of TAR 17.
Matthew 7:15

Offline rodcub

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:21 AM »

Melbourne: Extremely unlikely
Los Angeles and Melbourne have no direct connections on the evening of 20 Nov, but there are three separate direct flights arriving in the span of 90min the very next day. It would be unlikely for the start to be scheduled on the 20th and not the 21st if Melbourne were the first destination.

You're right, Neobie... it was local Sydney stuff.  But, as I posted elsewhere:

I have it on very good authority that tomorrow they are going to be in Melbourne.

Seven Network and some US TV people were timing getting on foot from Southern Cross to Southbank area late last week. This could not be a coincidence, surely.

My tip... be hanging out about 9am at Eureka 88 and the Skydeck. You may see some cameras.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 03:43:56 AM »
We have someone else saying they are doing a flight to the OutBack...will be fun to see what happens! Thannks for sharing and :welcome:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline rodcub

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 04:00:22 AM »
We have someone else saying they are doing a flight to the OutBack...will be fun to see what happens! Thannks for sharing and :welcome:

We will know soon enough :)

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 04:23:01 AM »
2 special charter flights to BROKEN HILL tomorrow morning on Rex Airlines from Sydney Terminal 2:

ZL9578 Departs 6:05am
ZL9596 Departs 6:30am

Flight takes 2h20min.

"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 05:25:01 AM »
2 special charter flights to BROKEN HILL tomorrow morning on Rex Airlines from Sydney Terminal 2:

Flight takes 2h20min.

Terrific find Rich. Broken Hill is known for its silver/lead/zinc mining and sheep....lots of sheep. So maybe some activities along those lines. I do have a question. How long does it take to ride the train from Broken Hill back to Sydney?........Just wondering about leaving and letting Phil get a day ahead for his standups in next leg. BVM does like his long train rides....

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2010, 08:02:17 AM »
Found them!

2 Charter flights to Broken Hill tomorrow morning on Rex Airlines Terminal 2:

Flight takes 2h20min.

Source at the Town Hall had contact with Globetrotters who asked her about Rex Airlines (Regional Express)

That is about exactly six hours from now, teams are probably resting somewhere since it is 1am in Sydney. They would arrive in Broken Hill about 5 CST.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »

Flight takes 2h20min.

Terrific find Rich. Broken Hill is known for its silver/lead/zinc mining and sheep....lots of sheep. So maybe some activities along those lines. I do have a question. How long does it take to ride the train from Broken Hill back to Sydney?........Just wondering about leaving and letting Phil get a day ahead for his standups in next leg. BVM does like his long train rides....

The direct train is only run once a week, the daily trip involves a bus and he may not be able to make the timing work. Phill would have a better chance of catching that charter back.
Info here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Broken_Hill#Get_in

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »

Flight takes 2h20min.

The direct train is only run once a week, the daily trip involves a bus and he may not be able to make the timing work. Phill would have a better chance of catching that charter back.

Phil will most certainly fly back......the train is for the teams..........sigh

Offline rodcub

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »

Flight takes 2h20min.

Phil will most certainly fly back......the train is for the teams..........sigh

Of course, this makes the assumption they are flying back, rather than flying on to somewhere.  As I said, I have two reports now (reliable) that producers were in Melbourne last week timing the time it took to get from Southern Cross Station to the Southbank area.  Could they be doing something in the outback, then having to make way from Broken Hill to Melbourne?

Broken Hill to Sydney or Melbourne or even Adelaide is not that much on flying time.

Cheers,
Rod

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
I thought they needed to get back to Sydney to leave by the same airport they came in by? Isn't that how they handle customs issues?
Welcome to RFF, rodcub!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:40:07 AM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
I would guess that they will be boarding that charter flight in about an hour. Any way to track its progress and/or discover who makes it on the first one?

Offline rodcub

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »

Flight takes 2h20min.

Of course, this makes the assumption they are flying back, rather than flying on to somewhere.  As I said, I have two reports now (reliable) that producers were in Melbourne last week timing the time it took to get from Southern Cross Station to the Southbank area.  Could they be doing something in the outback, then having to make way from Broken Hill to Melbourne?

Broken Hill to Sydney or Melbourne or even Adelaide is not that much on flying time.

Cheers,
Rod

There is also a flight back from Broken Hill (chartered) on REX this morning...

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Domestic-Arrivals.html?date=23/11/2010&results=1000&carrier=Rex

ZL9997  Broken Hill-Sydney arrives 11.30am

But I doubt the racers could be on that, given that they would get to Broken Hill about 8.30am to 9.00am, and then it suggests they'd almost be heading back immediately...?

There is also ZL861 (scheduled service) arriving back into Sydney at 12.10pm

Some things to think about there...  there isn't many services out of Broken Hill.  Maybe it is a driving on leg?  Or is it Indian Pacific from Broken Hill back to Sydney? (Departing Broken Hill at about 6.30pm tonight, arriving Sydney 10.15am Wednesday)  Indian Pacific to Adelaide doesn't run today.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »
There is also a flight back from Broken Hill (chartered) on REX this morning...

ZL9997  Broken Hill-Sydney arrives 11.30am

But I doubt the racers could be on that, given that they would get to Broken Hill about 8.30am to 9.00am, and then it suggests they'd almost be heading back immediately...?

There is also ZL861 (scheduled service) arriving back into Sydney at 12.10pm

Some things to think about there...  there isn't many services out of Broken Hill.  Maybe it is a driving on leg?  Or is it Indian Pacific from Broken Hill back to Sydney? (Departing Broken Hill at about 6.30pm tonight, arriving Sydney 10.15am Wednesday)  Indian Pacific to Adelaide doesn't run today.

I would count on the Indian Pacific to get them back in time for the next leg after (or during) a regular pitstop.

Also Kynt did say they would be driving themselves once they arrived. This seems to be logical anyway as a Australia should allow this and there are not many taxis in Broken Hill.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
I think the chances of another Australian leg after Broken Hill are minimal, so I'd say Wednesday is a Phil day (at the next destination), and teams leave Wednesday afternoon or evening to race at their next destination on Thursday.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »
I thought they needed to get back to Sydney to leave by the same airport they came in by? Isn't that how they handle customs issues?
Welcome to RFF, rodcub!

No...they can leave from any airport, just takes permitting.
RFF's Golden Rule: