Author Topic: No Speedbump?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
No Speedbump?
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
Does anyone have any info as to why Nick & Vicki didn't have a speedbump??

calibound234

Re: No Speedbump?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »
Thank you!

I was waiting for someone to post about this...

Last night my parents and I were waiting for the speedbump Nick and Vicky had to partake in, however, it never happened. We were trying to come up with different reasons why but nothing has been confirmed.

My dad was trying to convince me that because it was a Nonelimination leg maybe they didnt have to do a speedbump like in other seasons.. Than my stepmom and I corrected him because Michael and Kevin were made to do a speedbump for coming last in a nonelimination leg earlier on in the season.

I am a fan of Nick and Vicky but I didn't think it was fair that they didn't have to take part in a speedbump..

Im guessing that they had to have completed one though or else it wouldnt be fair..

Probably just wasnt aired in  the episode because it didnt affect the placement of their team.. Im sure it will be confirmed later on though.

Perhaps when everyone was waiting for the circus to open (before the detour) Nick and Vicky completed their Speedbump... although that wouldnt really be fair would it?

who knows... i guess we just wait for an explanation since everyone has been asking about it

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
I've only read second- and third-hand paraohrasing, but there's supposedly a FB post from Nick that claims the SB was waived due to production credits from the last leg.  Supposedly the judge at the piano task erroneously told Nick and Vicki at one point that they had not gotten the answers right, when in fact they had.

Now, assuming that is true as far as it goes, it would make sense, especially if it meant Nick and Vicki would not have been the last place team.  There's also some speculation that this problem existed for more than one team, and that made it impossible to determine who should be treated as being in last place.

Given that the first task had a bunching from the OOH, it makes senses if the decision was made to just edit out the problems, and basically give all the the affected teams a roughly equal start without an SB being involved.  It does seem though this is a question that the teams will have to be asked about when they're available.
-- theschnauzers

calibound234

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »
Oh that's interesting..

That also makes you wonder whether or not it was really intended to be a Non-Elimination leg.. Therefore, no Speedbump planned but Nick and Vicky weren't eliminated..

So instead of unfairly sending home a team that could have in fact stayed in the race, they prolly just decided to keep everyone around. I guess Phil didn't mention the Speed Bump though when they arrived to the Pitstop... So would production have caught on to the mistake before they arrived? Would that be possible?

Usually when something occurs offcamera or isnt edited into the episode, they will put a little blurb at the beginning of the episode or at the end of the episode to cue the viewers in on what has happened.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
CBS did put a disclaimer in the credits. I am assuming it was an unplanned NEL. They quite possibly filmed two endings.....an elimination and the NEL.....then waited till they could look at the footage from the music detour later that night.

Nick and Vicki could have protested on the way to the RB and Production could have checked the footage before they got to the Mat and found out that the judge had made mistakes.

As theschnausers has said....we will probably not know exactly what happened till the racers can talk about it.
Matthew 7:15

calibound234

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
Filming it 2 times...

that could explain why Nick and Vicky seemed not to far behind during the Babusha Road Block (if Im not mistaken)

but than when they arrived at the Pit Stop it was dark out..

Which episode had the disclaimer, DrRox?

Last weeks or Last nights? I kinda wanna check and see what it said... I thought Phil did voiceovers in the past to explain what happened..

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
I noticed it after last nights episode.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »
It could also explain why we only got the release times of teams that only performed the Film Detour.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

calibound234

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
How long does it usually take before the racers can start talking?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
How long does it usually take before the racers can start talking?
after they are eliminated (or the race ends in the case of the F3)
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

calibound234

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »
So wouldnt people be able to ask Kevin what happened? Since he was around when this all happened?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »
So wouldnt people be able to ask Kevin what happened? Since he was around when this all happened?
Maybe an interviewer did, we'll have to wait and see, or if everything else fails, there's always TARcon
The story so far:

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
I've also heard the Wrong Piano Judge theory around the internets, lol, but cannot seem to get CBS to give me an answer! Maybe the people I ask do not know, who knows?? LOL

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »
Rob, I seriously think this is going to be one of those things we will have to learn from the teams later.   It's quite possible the network people don't know.  This incident, alone, more than justifies the cost of have an attorney traveling with production (which is something I hadn't known until this season.)

On the disclaimer, IIRC, that's has always been part of the closing credits.  Unless there was something different than the usual language....maybe we need a cap of it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Official Statement here as to why no speed bump: http://bit.ly/dqYiNR

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
Watching it at the time, I thought Nick and Vicky looked really surprised that they had the right answer. I'm guessing they knew it was an answer they had already given before and were shocked that it was right.

Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it after the fact in light of the new revelations.  :umn:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
Maybe an interviewer did, we'll have to wait and see, or if everything else fails, there's always TARcon

When teams do the media interviews after the elimination episode......they is a CBS handler there telling them what they can and cannot say.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Let me cite this information from Andy Denhart's Reality blurred column:

Amazing Race’s missing task: there never was a speed bump for Nick and Vicki
The Amazing Race 17 »   
by Andy Dehnart / November 8, 2010, 8:06 AM

comment »

The Amazing Race 17 has minor controversy on its hands, as last week’s episode ended in a non-elimination for Nick DeCarlo and Vicki Casciola, but the team didn’t complete the required punishment, a speed bump task, this episode.

The answer lies in last week’s episode: There never was a speed bump task. At the end of the episode, when Nick and Vicki arrive at the mat, Phil says, “This is a non-elimination leg and you will get to race another day.” That’s all he said.

Why didn’t he give them a task? Now comes speculation, because, annoyingly, the episode didn’t tell us, but it seems like they weren’t given an extra task probably because last week shouldn’t have even been a non-elimination leg—or if it actually was a pre-scheduled non-elimination leg, they were given a pass because of a production error. The rather ridiculous equalizer at the start of the leg plus the lack of start times in this week’s episode clearly suggests that production made sure that everyone was even at the beginning of this leg to compensate for a screw-up.

HitFix’s Dan Fienberg summarizes a theory from an IMDB message board discussion that says “Nick had posted on his personal Facebook page that in the Classical Music Detour in the previous leg, there’d been a judging error. Apparently they’d been giving a correct answer, but a judge had been telling them that they were wrong.”

Naturally, that person’s post is a summary of a summary of something someone else read. Why the hell can’t people, you know, include a link or quote from something they’ve read? It’s the Internet after all. Nick’s actual Facebook profile is locked down so his posts aren’t visible, and there is nothing of interest on their team Facebook page. Perhaps we’ll get more clarity later.