Author Topic: Expedition Impossible  (Read 69560 times)

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Expedition Impossible
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
I fell asleep during it (it was nearly 3:30 AM). I think I was somewhere between the 1st and 2nd task and am still deciding if I should watch the rest of the episode or not.

Offline captjoe06

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Good Morning Gloucester
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 04:25:49 AM »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »
Episode 2 of Expedition Impossible

The Gypsies got a 5 minute lead for finishing #1 in Episode 1. The next wave of about 4 teams were released after that 5 minutes. Later wave 3 and wave 4 teams were released, probably at about the same interval.

Teams had to trek to Arabian horses and ride those horses along the river, sometimes fording it to the other side. No Limits was falling back as the need for blind Erik to safely ride limited their speed. Country Boys, Gypsies and Football Players were all fighting for the top 3 places. Fab3 had fallen back to about 8th through 10th place. Bringing up the rear were California Girls and Mom's Army. At the next checkpoint California Girls arrived 45 minutes behind.

The next task was to fill a water urn enough to have a cylinder with a map inside pop out. There was a large leaky bucket and a small bucket to do the job. Some innovative teams partially plugged those leaks with clothing and plastic garbage liners, but the more efficient approach was the smaller bucket. The approximate order of departure from that checkpoint was:
1 Country Boys
2 Gypsies
3 The Cops
4 No Limits (yay, Erik)
5 Grandpa's Warriors
6 Team Kansas (who moved up due to real riding experience)
7 Football Players
8 Fisherman
9 Fab3
10 NY Firemen
11 Mom's Army
12 California Girls

The next task was to trek 4.3 miles to the River, inflate one kayak per person, don safety gear and paddle 4 miles down the river. During this segment Mom's Army had great trouble navigating their kayaks and fell behind while California Girls started a major upward move.

When teams arrived, there was a village and they had to find the craftsman's house and try out Moroccan lampshades until they could decipher the clue on their map. There was one shade with an opening which revealed Old Bridge as the next destination.  Since that was evident on the map, teams knew they had to go downriver about 2 miles. The Gypsies and Country Boys were battling for first place. The first 9 teams had no trouble doing so and finding the walled encampment that was the finish line for this episode. The final 3 teams were lost and had a lot of trouble. At one point The Cops went upstream and the NY Firemen downstream from the same point, so only one team could be right. It was the NY Firemen who were right, leaving The Cops to fight it out with Mom's Army.   

The finish line order of arrival was:
1 Gypsies
2 Country Boys
3 No Limits
4 Football Players
5 Fab3
6 Fishermen
7 Team Kansas
8 Grandpa's Warriors
9 California Girls
10 NY Firemen
11 The Cops
12 Mom's Army

So, who is surprised that Latin Persuasion and Mom's Army were the first 2 teams out? Not me.  I predict that the next 3 out will be Team Kansas, California Girls and Grandpa's Warriors. All the other 8 teams have more strength and endurance.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I forgot to watch!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
Peach, ABC repeated the first episode and I'm sure without lookiong that it'll be online by tomorrow at abc.com or hulu.com, or whereever ABC likes to post them.

As to the episode, I'm not surprised by much so far; the two all female teams are the first to go; and the other teams are starting to stratify themselves. At that point, eliminations will be the teams that make mistakes,.

Is there an over/under number as to how many seasons stages will feature camels? :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:27:21 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »
peach,

theschnauzers is exactly right. Here is the link to last night's episode at ABC: http://abc.go.com/watch/expedition-impossible/SH55126301/VD55133275/light-my-way or you can watch it on Saturday night at 9pm at ABC. take your pick.

Also, the schnauzers, I agree with you on the interaction of camels and humans. I have learned from 19 seasons of the Amazing Race that interactions with any animals can be fascinating, but humans attempting to lead camels and humans riding on camels are at the top of the list!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
EI reminds me of a Boy Scout Orienteering Challange......I am enjoying it, nevertheless.

North African Arabian horses are much different than North American Standard Bred or Quarter Horses and even Arabians bred here. I learned the hard way when we used to go out by the Pyramids and ride horses when we lived in Cairo. Partly due to anatomy and partly how they are bridle trained.

Camels are a totally different story.......they dont really pay attention to anyone unless you are the one/two people that feed and water them regularly.......then they are pretty docile.

Looks like next week we will see what happens when the Khamsin/Khamaseen hits. These winds are the same that affected TAR1 in Tunisia. In Morrocco, they might call these winds Siroccos...in Egypt, they were called Khamsin, which is the arabic word for the number 50. These winds supposedly last 50 days and occur from Feb to March mostly......so means that show was filmed in that time frame. Weather then is not bad and nearly as hot as middle of summer. It is a good thing they are not filming now.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
I love the teams and challenges. All aspects of the show suck, though.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
The Gypsies are doing better than I thought they would. The Country Boys are funny, and I still like No Limits. I find Fab 3 to be annoying, and all the other teams to be obsolete. I find the editing to predict who is going to be eliminated each time. It is also obvious from the subpar editing that teams like the Fishermen and Grandpa's warriors, etc. are not going to win because they never get screentime.

This week's episode wasn't much better than the first, the challenges were better but the post production was not.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:47:34 PM by Prophet »
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 01:42:07 AM »
I'm enjoying the show so far, but my God, this editing is terrible. :groan: 13 teams is way too many to try to cram into one hour's worth of television.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
The worst thing for me is that only one person from each team is presented. For example from the athletes I've only seen Akbar, I have no idea what the other two even look like. Too many teams too many people. I hope it gets better as more teams are eliminated.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
I'm enjoying the show so far, but my God, this editing is terrible. :groan: 13 teams is way too many to try to cram into one hour's worth of television.
You can complain, but the economics of Expedition Impossible probably depend on having 13 initial teams and 10 legs rather than say 10 teams and only 7 telecasts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
I had a add a comment about how these teams didn't think through the directions to get to the Old Bridge in episode two.

A Bridge means they'll be need to get across a body of water (river, lake, creek, or dry bed before they can look for the finish location for the stage.  If you are walking between hills on both sides and you are at the lowest level in the valley headed through the hills, you are bound to reach that point. It just amazed me how some of these teams weren't thinking it through. Maybe they had a fork in the path, and chose the wrong way, but we weren't shown that, we were shown teams that turned around, or climbed up hills without going far enough.

But the fact they were looking for a bridge without thinking about why the bridge would have been there says something, I'm not sure what.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
I had a add a comment about how these teams didn't think through the directions to get to the Old Bridge in episode two.

But following a river bed is hardly the easiest way (wet rocks, brush and vegetation) or shortest way (a river that shallow meanders a lot) between two points... Perhaps teams were trying to take that into account?

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
I am watching but clearly they learned nothing from TAR FAmily Edition or from Treasure Hunters.

The first point of drama is you the audience need to give a crap about the people presented.  To do that it helps to be able to get to know them.  Hell with two people TAR isn't always able to get us a feel for the team.  But three with 13 teams, lord.

Then you have the actual editing of this show.  Well I think TAR should screen this with their emmy selection just to show the world how great there editing really is.

There is no drama either in character interaction or in the presentation of the material.

Treasure Hunters did a better job in both departments.

Now I have like a couple things.  But they are minor.  I have liked most of the tasks, and have liked that there so far has been no artificial bunching during the episode.  And its summer and TV sucks so I will stick with it a few more weeks hopefully once a few more teams have departed we can actually get some sense of the individual players.

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »
Good & Bad Things About EI's Second Episode.
Good
- More mental stuff. I liked the buckets. But for goodness sakes people. When a clue tells you to choose wisely, do NOT go with the obvious choice. I think only Fab 3 & the Gypsies picked the small one.
- I liked the kayaking.
-Less challenges this time. Easier to keep track of teams.
Bad
- The editing is still bad. We CA girls suddenly jump in the rankings during kayaking. I was confused. Also some teams get absoulty no edits. ie, Fishermen, Grandpa's Warriors. Was I the only one who figured out this week that the Cops had a girl on their team?
- Alot of the host telling us the order of how teams are doing. I don't even know the hosts name. He can't do standups because he needs to release the teams. How sad. He has the easist hosting job in the world. All he has to do is know how to count.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
You can complain, but the economics of Expedition Impossible probably depend on having 13 initial teams and 10 legs rather than say 10 teams and only 7 telecasts.

I know, and I can understand that it's tough. All it really would've taken for me to not complain about it is if they just had a pre-starting line bio for each team, not just 5 or 6 of them.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
Good & Bad Things About EI's Second Episode.
Good
- More mental stuff. I liked the buckets. But for goodness sakes people. When a clue tells you to choose wisely, do NOT go with the obvious choice. I think only Fab 3 & the Gypsies picked the small one.
- I liked the kayaking.
-Less challenges this time. Easier to keep track of teams.
Bad
- The editing is still bad. We CA girls suddenly jump in the rankings during kayaking. I was confused. Also some teams get absoulty no edits. ie, Fishermen, Grandpa's Warriors. Was I the only one who figured out this week that the Cops had a girl on their team?
- Alot of the host telling us the order of how teams are doing. I don't even know the hosts name. He can't do standups because he needs to release the teams. How sad. He has the easist hosting job in the world. All he has to do is know how to count.

You're doing a great job on these Coolio. You always say exactly what I was thinking. The first thing I said when I finally saw the Cops on screen is "They have a female partner?" :lol3:

I think that the BAD editing makes it easy to figure out who will win.

Offline captjoe06

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Good Morning Gloucester
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Our Buddy Joe Sanfilippo From Team Fisherman tells me to make sure you watch episode three and that it is filled with drama- FWIW

Here are some more pictures of Team Fishermen aboard Their Fishing Boat, The Captain Domenic-
I Took One from Down in the Fish Hold Looking Up at Them on Deck

Joe, Gus and Nino

and more pictures and videos with them here-
http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/?s=Expedition+Impossible

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 08:48:56 PM »
Either I'm just getting used to it or this show is getting a little bit better.

Pros:

I finally saw a Football Player that wasn't Akbar. His name is Robert, maybe next week we'll get the third member  :lol:

I finally saw the Fishermen

Understanding the typical order of things is making the episode seem to flow better

The editors discovered background music

Cons:

The host is still narrating too much

The confessionals are still bad

Every show is very similar to the previous ones (It usually goes: camels, water, walking, mental task, walking, end)

As usual it could be summed up as: The Gypsies, Country Boys and No Limits are in the lead with Fab 3, Kansas Girls and Football Players  right on their tail. In the back are some other teams you might have finally started to recognize and the Grandpa's aren't doing well. (read in his cheesy narration voice :lol:)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
EI Ep. 3

This episode released the Gypsies first, then the other teams in waves of three teams 5 minutes apart. Teams were told by the host that an overnight stop would be required. The first task was to carry bundles of feed for camels to a checkpoint where camels were selected. Then those camels had to be ridden or walked for 3.8 miles to the Olive Mill. Some of them were obstreperous and few teams were able to ride them all the way. One rider was thrown and potentially injured. At the Olive Mill teams would get empty olive oil barrels and construct a raft on the bank of the river. Next was to paddle across that river to an island where another clue awaited. That one sent them one mile on the river to Hamil Cove where they checked in for the night.  Mackenzie of Team Kansas had taken off her socks when stating on the raft and she had nasty chafing on the back of her heels. Teams spent the night in tents with a strong wind making sleep difficult.

The next day teams had to walk 3.5 miles along or in the river to find a checkpoint with 11 poles and flags and locked chests. The flags had to be carefully wrapped around the pole at the exactly correct angle to reveal the combination 5363. That combination was the only one which opened the chests. Teams then had a choice of the shorter high road up and over the mountains or the longer one in and along the river to reach the final checkpoint. All but 2 teams (both in the back of the pack), The Cops and Team Kansas, chose the longer and easier route. Team cops easily passed Team Kansas midway. The two trailing teams along the longer route were  the Fishermen and Grandpa's Warriors. The final finish positions were:
1. Gypsies (once again)
2. No Limits
3. Country Boys
4. Football Players
5. Fab 3
6. NY Firemen
7. California Girls
8. The Cops (who succeeded in the short difficult route)
9. Team Kansas (who succeeded in the short difficult route)
10. The Fishermen (who edged out the final team)
11. Grandpa's Warrior's (who were eliminated as predicted)

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
Good & Bad Thing ABout EI's Third Episode
Good
-Mental Challenges!
-The long vs. short route was a nice idea
- Variety of stuff
Bad
-Everyone mooches off others during challenges. Again
-Yet another random team jump in rankings. How did the Gyspies win again?
- NO possible way for teams to jump in rankings. Its the same EVERY episode. only way for people to jump is puzzles.
-Same route EVERY episode. (Animals --> Puzzle of some sort --> Water --> Puzzle --> Walking --> End

(Side Note- Was anyone else disapointed when you the  barrel raft was just sticking the barrels in a frame. I imagined them tying together barrels, with some team's rafts falling apart. Would have been great TV)  :neener:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2011, 12:54:58 AM »
The barrels was a task Burnett has used on Survivor when they has a river, and then had to use the raft.

Why that wasn't done here is beyond me, it might have shaken up the team order; something which , as others have noted, never seem to change much.

What can I say, when BB, with at least one of the twists well advertised in advance was more interesting than this, this show has some work to do if they get another season.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »
Cons:

Phil narrated a TON during the first season of TAR.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2011, 03:35:52 AM »
Cons:

Phil narrated a TON during the first season of TAR.

Even during the intro  :groan: