Author Topic: Expedition Impossible  (Read 69452 times)

Offline captjoe06

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Good Morning Gloucester
Re: Expedition Impossible
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »
If you want to see Joe Sanfilippo of The Fishermen Team From Gloucester MA you can head to Gloucester this weekend to watch the Seine Boat Races on which he will be rowing with his three time Champion Crew KAOS
here's a video I took yesterday of them at practice-
http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/2011-senior-seine-boat-practice/

that's Joe at The Bow of the boat putting his shirt on

Joe standing on the chair

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
Thanks Joe! We are excited for the show!!  And the camels!  :snicker:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
2nd from the left... is that Jimmy Tarantino from Survivor: Nicaragua?
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »
Thanks for this info too Joe!!

From ABC-

In celebration of his new, epic summer reality series, “Expedition Impossible,” Mark Burnett will be up on Twitter at @MarkBurnettTV on Thursday, June 23 from 9:00-10:00 p.m., ET and PT, during the premiere of the show, to offer commentary on the exciting action taking place, as well as behind-the-scenes anecdotes.

In addition, ABC.com will host a live “Chat Party” during the airing of “Expedition Impossible,” where viewers can come to the site, take a look at Mark’s tweets and chat with other fans during the show.  The “Chat Party” will go live at 9:00 p.m., ET/6:00 p.m., PT on Thursday and remain live until the conclusion of the west coast airing at 10:00 p.m., PT.

For more on “Expedition Impossible,” visit ABC.com at http://abc.go.com/shows/expedition-impossible.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
Can't wait for this show! :hearts:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Can't wait for this show! :hearts:

Me too!!! Can't wait for this show!!! :hearts:
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
LIVE LINK!!

check back next week!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:00:39 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
Burnett may insist that its nothing like TAR, but the intro to EI seemed like a borrowed re-write of Phil's script at the beginning of the very first episode of TAR ten years ago.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »
Wow, Twitter is FLOODED with people who agree with TS which is not helping live sightings.  :lol:

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »
Hey Guys! Coolio here with a recap of Expedition Impossible: Episode One!
Before I start, let me say, with the like 6 challenges/tasks in the episode, editing was HUGE, and I couldn't get arrival times for all teams at all tasks. I guessed on some, and those are indictated with a question mark. First, here are the teams. Not all of their teammates names were given, so I only have some.
Fab 3 M/M/F Color: Teal Members: Kari, Ryan, AJ
Latin Persuasion F/F/F Color: Black  Members: Mai, Raven, ???
NY Firemen M/M/M Color: Light Blue Members: Mike, Kevin, Rob
Country Boys M/M/M Color: Cameo Members: Chad, Nick, Jason
Football Players M/M/M Color: Grey Members: Akbar, Ricky, ???
Mom's Army F/F/F Color: Neon Green Members: Abbie, ???, ???
No Limits M/M/M Color: Orange Members: Erik (blind), ???, ???
Grandpa's Warriors M/M/F Color: Yellow Members: Dick, Samantha, ???
California Girls F/F/F Color: Pink Members: Brittney, ???, ???
Gyspies M/M/M Color: Purple Members: Eric, John, ???
Team Kansas F/F/F Color: Red Members: ???
Fishermen M/M/M Color: Brown Members: ???
Cops: M/M/M Color: Grey Members:???

Time for the actual recap!
Task One: Climb over sand dune to camel outpost.
1st: Gyspies
2nd: Football Players
3rd: Fab 3
4th: Fishermen
5th: CA Girls
6th: No Limits
7th: Cops
8th: NY Firemen
9th: Team Kansas
10th: Mom's Army
11th: Country Boys
12th: Grandpa's Warriors
13th: Latin Persuasion

On the way up, Chad form the Country Boys almost quit. But he didn't. Rest tomorrow. It's hard doing lenghthy recaps on an Ipod touch. My thumbs hurt. Bye!

Offline tarobbsessed24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
it was ok.  it seemed like the producers tried to make everything sound differrent for TAR
EX. Instead of last team to arrive, last team to come across the Finish Line lol

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »
It had beautiful scenic. The aerial shots were quite impressive but otherwise not very interesting.
What I didn't like was that from every team we got to see and hear only one or two members. I guess with 13 teams and 3 persons in every team it does not allow for a lot of screen time for everyone. But some team members got more air time that whole other teams did.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Expedition Impossible

This is ABC's answer to the popularity of The Amazing Race. 13 teams of 3 are racing in Morocco's sand dunes, mountains, rivers, cliffs and difficult trails to avoid elimination each episode, which will happen to the last-place team.  There are 10 stages containing a series of checkpoints. The team that crosses the ultimate finish line first gets $150,000 and three brand new Ford Explorers. The teams are from all across the U.S.  To me, the most impressive was No Limits, which had blind Erik on their team. It should be pointed out that Erik has reached the summit of Mt. Everest, which I doubt that anyone on another team had done.

Ep. 1 "Sun! Sand! Sahara!"

The expedition used a caravan of vehicles to transport the teams to a remote section of the Sahara Desert. Host Dave Salmoni revealed to each team that if one member of the team quits, the rest are also out.

The teams crossed through two flags atop a massive sand dune in order to see their first checkpoint. The Gypsies took an early lead which means they got their choice of the camels for the next leg of the journey. Choosing a camel isn't easy and neither is getting on one without serious help.

Back on the dune, Chad of the Country Boys had a rough time with endurance in the 100+ degree heat, seated on the sand while the ladies of Latin Persuasion step over him. Chad's teammates motivated him to press on. At the camel station, Grandpa's Warriors got underway, but Latin Persuasion was not moving as a result of internal bickering. Mounting a camel in the desert is different from navigating the New York city subway system.

The Gypsies, Fab 3 and the Football Players led the way, but No Limits reached the Lone Palm Camp checkpoint with Fab 3. The first challenge is to fill up one full jug of water. That's not easy to do in the middle of the desert.

Akbar of the Football Players pondered the notion of finding water "the old-fashioned way" by cutting open a hump in the camel. Not a great plan, since the jug of water was for each team's camels. AJ of Fab 3 wanted his team to dig under a tent. The Gypsies and No Limits help out. A short time later, they had unearthed a pool of water. The Football Players didn't help with the digging, but did tap into the well. Other teams arriving later took advantage of the water holes that were left behind by the lead teams.

Fab 3, Gypsies, Football Players and No Limits were the breakout leaders of the moment. The middle group consisted of Fishermen, Cops, Team Kansas, NY Firemen and California Girls. The back of the pack was Mom's Army, Country Boys, Grandpa's Warriors and the bickering Latin Persuasion.

At the next checkpoint, the teams must rappel more than 300 feet down the face of a gorge. Fab 3's Kari sheds a tear because of the intensity of the situation. She was scared, but sucked it up and made it down for the sake of her team.
Football Player Akbar struggled with his descent, but blind man Erik of No Limits calls upon his climbing expertise to make it down with no issues. In Mom's Army, Eleanor's daughters have a rough time watching their mother struggle down the cliff, but in the end Eleanor persevered.

Once on the ground, the teams traveled down a dry riverbed to the center of Snake Valley. They must keep track of the number of snakes revealed during a Moroccan snake charmer routine. Then they choose a box bearing the correct number. If right, they were directed on a five mile hike to the finish line. If they miscount, they'll go 30 minutes off course until they hit a "wrong way" sign and have to double that penalty.

Fab 3, Gypsies and Football Players guess the correct number of snakes, but No Limits is off by one. They get it right the second time around, but the middle teams have caught up to them. Finally, Latin Persuasion also gets the snake count right, as do Grandpa's Warriors.

The Gypsies are the winners of Stage One. Fab 3 is second, followed by Football Players. 4th through 11th place goes to Team Kansas, Fishermen, No Limits, Country Boys, NY Firemen, California Girls, The Cops and Mom's Army. That leaves Latin Persuasion and Grandpa's Warriors in a battle for the final spot as they traverse the terrain down a mountain in the dark. Grandpa's Warriors nabs the 12th place slot which eliminated Latin Persuasion.

I will definitely watch all episodes of this inaugural season of Expedition Impossible and can recommend it to you. I am sure the producers paid a lot of money for the cooperation of the locals, who were involved in many different ways in the first episode and are likely to be so in future episodes.

It is clear that endurance and prior extreme sports skills are the most important ones to win this race. I think No Limits and Fab 3 have the advantage on this. The Football Players will go a long way, but they ultimately do not have the flexibility and endurance to win. I didn't see enough of the Gypsies to make a prediction yet for them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:54:53 PM by apskip »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
All in all, I thought the biggest problem with the show is the presentation. I believe that TAR does a much better job at making the show more dramatic. The tasks were very interesting, but the editing is poor, which is a shame.

As for the teams, they are generally interesting. I like No Limits the best, but didn't like that they chose the wrong number of snakes (though counting the snakes did look considerably hard).

I will probably continue to watch the show, but it seems like it could be better to me.

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
I think to fairly review this show, we need to forget about TAR. If we constantly compare EI to TAR, in the end TAR will win. TAR has has 18 seasons to perfect it's formula. EI has had 1. Of course TAR will have a better opening segment, they have had 18 tries at it.
Good Things About EI
-Challenges are creative, and add a nice mental aspect to a very physical show
-Teams of three add more minds and more opinons. Expect alot of 2 vs.1 action.
Not So Good Things About EI
-Editing is awful. With 13 teams and 6 challenges, it's hard to keep track. I thought Latin Persuasion was really far behind. Suddenly, they are right behind Mom's Army. WHAT!
-Besides challenges, watching people hike & rappel is really no fun.
-No opprtunity for teams to pass another.
-Poor challenge design. The find water idea was great, but everyone mooched off of Fab 3's hole.
I'm excited to see what happens next.
Winner Prediction: Fab 3.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
I like this show well enough, and I'll definitely watch the whole series. But what made me most upset is that they didn't introduce all the teams!!! The Cops, California Girls, Team Kansas, and a few others were just kinda thrown into the narration. It felt to me like, "Fab 3 and No Limits are in the lead, Latin Persuasion is falling far behind, and California Girls are also a team."

But ultimately, TAR has had 18 successful seasons. Expedition Impossible has had ONE EPISODE so far. It's really unfair to draw conclusions on what the series will be like based on one episode. Episode 1 of TAR 2 also didn't show all teams completing every task, so I'm not gonna completely write the show off for that one transgression.

(But seriously, how the hell did Grandpa's Warriors pass Latin Persuasion???)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »
As I commented at the time last night, the opening ten minutes of EI truly sounded like a poorly done rewrite of the first 10 minutes of original TAR ten years ago. I was able to mentally anticipate what Dave Salomi was going to say next in that intro (such as the "Which team has...." part, which really did seem it was stolen from Phil.)

That said, it may pass for summer fare, but if anything better that grabs my interest more comes along, I may rely on DVR time shoifting, it is not appointment TV, that is for sure.
-- theschnauzers

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
One thing that EI had better than TAR was the cluebox. I loved the crafted wooden thing that they had the clues. I want one!

Offline BamBam

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »
Anybody watch this?  The chatter I am hearing is that it's similar to The Amazing Race but with teams of 3 and more physical.  I missed the first show and will have to see it on line to catch up, but wondering if it's worth my time?  :duno:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »
I think to fairly review this show, we need to forget about TAR. If we constantly compare EI to TAR, in the end TAR will win. TAR has has 18 seasons to perfect it's formula. EI has had 1. Of course TAR will have a better opening segment, they have had 18 tries at it.
Good Things About EI
-Challenges are creative, and add a nice mental aspect to a very physical show
-Teams of three add more minds and more opinons. Expect alot of 2 vs.1 action.
Not So Good Things About EI
-Editing is awful. With 13 teams and 6 challenges, it's hard to keep track. I thought Latin Persuasion was really far behind. Suddenly, they are right behind Mom's Army. WHAT!
-Besides challenges, watching people hike & rappel is really no fun.
-No opprtunity for teams to pass another.
-Poor challenge design. The find water idea was great, but everyone mooched off of Fab 3's hole.
I'm excited to see what happens next.
Winner Prediction: Fab 3.

This is what I think too. A good idea ruined by really bad post production work.

But the planning wasn't that great either. The water thing was dumb and the rest was boring. The tasks were interesting for the contestants but not the viewers.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I disagree with Coolio on the dumbness of the rappel (which I found thrilling and I know those doing it did too) and with Prophet on the dumbness of finding water. Figuring out that you had to dig for it was not rocket science, but I wish the Amazing Race would do some more tasks which involve more brainpower. I applaud the producers of Expedition Impossible for the creativity of their tasks. Watching teams walking on the trails is indeed boring, but you do have to get from task to task. Doing so on the Amazing Race is not that difficult, but doing that in desert heat above 100 degrees is quite a feat!

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
The heat is a factor that the viewer cannot fully appreciate, but the water task only required the brain power of the first team to arrive. All other teams merely copied that team or used their hole.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2011, 01:56:23 AM »
I actually liked the water searching. There were at least 3-4 teams looking for water and only Fab3 figured it out and even when more teams came. the Gypsies were the only ones to understand what's going on and helped. It gave us a first idea of the abilities of each time and also laid the foundation of future alliances. It's certain that Fab3 are not going to team up with the athletes any time soon. LOL.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
I was doing the same thing as TS with the intro. :lol: (I still need to watch the whole thing, though)