Author Topic: Expedition Impossible  (Read 69544 times)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Expedition Impossible
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Looks like ABC has ordered some competition for TAR from Mark Burnett.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/abc-orders-global-1025093.aspx?rss=breakingnews

Matthew 7:15

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Re: Expedition Impossible
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Here is the ABC announcement and casting info.

http://abc.go.com/shows/expedition-impossible
Matthew 7:15

Offline tarobbsessed24

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
nothing and i mean NOTHING can replace TAR

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »
Just reading between the lines, it sounds like it will be more outdoorsy and physical than TAR with less activities taking place at cities and famous landmarks. In other words, climb that mountain, hike that desert trail, take a kayak downstream or help the villagers herd cattle and find the designated location for your next clue. That kind of thing. I liked Eco-Challenge and Mark Burnett is a good producer, so I expect it'll be decent TV, but I doubt that it will be as good as TAR. I'll look forward to seeing it next fall (my guess as to when it will air).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
It sounds more like Treasure Hunters, the failed NBC attempt at a TAR-like competition a few summers back. Not to mention NBC's earlier direct head-on-head attempt in 2001 Lost.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
Hopefully, it will take a different direction than TAR (perhaps history, mythology, etc.)

On the History Channel Latin America (I'm not sure if the American one had it as well) there was a reality competition in which teams of 4 had to traverse the Andes like the San Martín army had to during the war to liberate Chile from Spanish dominion. The tasks were all based on things the army faced during the time and tested skills like observation, navigation, espionage, survival, etc.

It was an interesting concept.

http://www.formulatv.com/1,20080520,7615,1.html (Link in Spanish)
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
This show can work as long as it avoids what didn't work with shows like The Great American Road Trip, Treasure Hunters, Lost, and what doesn't work with TAR.

They should try to be like what the AFL and USFL were to the NFL, or what the ABA was to the NBA, and avoid being like what the XFL was.

I don't know what to make of the press release.  If they only end up focusing on rural or isolated areas, I don't think that it's going to work. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:34:09 PM by slayton »

calibound234

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
I also came here to post that it sounds exactally like the reality competition series "Treasure Hunters" that premiered during the National Treasure movies were popular.

Hopefully this series wont disappoint like Treasure Hunters did..

Mark Burnett as producer though, could be something to watch...

Don't know if i like the teams of 3 though. gets too confusing...

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »
Three people on a team can cause a lot of dissension if they have strong personalities, designed for drama?   :umn:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »
I just remembered that USA network had another show, Cannonball Run, back in 2001 before TAR, which was a show about teams of three in a cross-country road rally.  (I only watched it because they had Susan Hawk from Survivor on it.)

The first thing Mark Burnett should do is change the name of the show.  Expedition Impossible has too many syllables, and I think it doesn't roll off the tongue and evoke imagery like how a title like Eco-Challenge does.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:48:38 PM »
I agree with you about the name. Not only is it hard to say but implies that it's not worth watching since it's impossible to achieve. (Unlike Mission Impossible.)  :umn:  It needs a catchy name. I do remember Cannonball Run now that you mention it.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
Excerpt from the Press Release: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/03/03/dave-salmoni-named-host-of-abcs-epic-summer-series-expedition-impossible-510514/20110303abc03/

DAVE SALMONI NAMED HOST OF ABC'S EPIC SUMMER SERIES, "EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE"

Adventurer, zoologist, big cat trainer and all-around risk taker Dave Salmoni has been named host of ABC's epic summer series, "Expedition Impossible," which features ordinary people doing the extraordinary in the biggest adventure of their lives.

Featuring high adventure and human drama, "Expedition Impossible" will feature 13 teams of 3, racing on an expedition across vast deserts, over snow capped mountains and through raging rivers. Each week a new stage of the expedition will be revealed to the teams. Will they crumble under the pressure of having to think clearly in the wilds of the great outdoors, or will they find a way to work together to complete their adventures? After 10 stunning legs of competition, one team will cross the finish line first to claim victory.

Mark Burnett and Lisa Hennessy serve as executive producers. Both the television show and format will be distributed internationally by Mark Burnett International Distribution.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
From http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/abc-unveils-reality-heavy-summer-schedule/

Tuesday, June 21:
8:00-9:00 PM: Wipeout (regular time premiere)
9:00-10:00 PM: Expedition Impossible (series premiere)
10:00-11:00 PM: The Hot Zone (series premiere)

---

It seems like the show will focus on rural and isolated areas as I dreaded; I tend to prefer crowded metropolises.  I hope that it succeeds if it's good.  I liked Eco-Challenge, but I think it was only a few episodes per season and not 10 like Expedition Impossible .

It has a good lead-in, but the nielsen viewers always seem to prefer shows about politicking instead of adventure shows.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
This could be my summer escape show....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
This could be my summer escape show....

When you want to escape the Big Brother House? ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Don't remind me.  )-**
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline captjoe06

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Good Morning Gloucester
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!!! WE CAN FINALLY OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCE IT! THE SANFILIPPO BOYS ARE ON MARK BURNETT’S EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! HERE ARE OUR PICS

http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/breaking-news-we-can-finally-officially-announce-it-the-sanfilippo-boys-are-on-mark-burnetts-expedition-impossible/

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
That's great news, Joey.  You guys are really putting Gloucester on the map!

Offline KitKat

• RFF's Kitty Kat
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
BREAKING NEWS!!! WE CAN FINALLY OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCE IT! THE SANFILIPPO BOYS ARE ON MARK BURNETT’S EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! HERE ARE OUR PICS

http://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/breaking-news-we-can-finally-officially-announce-it-the-sanfilippo-boys-are-on-mark-burnetts-expedition-impossible/
Nice to meet you Captjoe  :jam: thanks for sharing this with us!
delightful just delightful

Offline JimExpedition

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »

Nice to meet you Captjoe  :jam: thanks for sharing this with us!

I’m Jim from the Cops team. We had alot of fun with the guys from Gloucester. Get ready for the wildest,toughest,most drama filled show ever. It’s the Amazing Race and Surviver on ‘Juice.’  Watch the first show and you'll be 'hooked'

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
:welcome: to RFF, Jim!!

I am really excited for this...looks like loads of fun!!

Hope you can join us as we follow y'all along!!!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/05/13/abcs-summer-premiere-dates-change-including-rookie-blue/92583/
The series premiere of “Expedition Impossible” and Season 2 premiere of “Rookie Blue” move to THURSDAY, JUNE 23, at 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., ET, respectively.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/mark-burnett-hits-the-right-note-again-with-the-voice/article2017047/
What other TV projects do you have on the go?

I just finished filming a series called Expedition Impossible for ABC. We’re in post-production right now for a summer delivery. It’s ordinary people sent off on an extraordinary adventure. There’s little tinges of Eco-Challenge in it, but these people are not trained adventurers. It’s just really fun television.

Meet Team Fab 3 From ABC's "Expedition Impossible"

Offline JimExpedition

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
:welcome: to RFF, Jim!!

I am really excited for this...looks like loads of fun!!

Hope you can join us as we follow y'all along!!!

I will definately keep in touch. You can get the inside scoop if you 'like' our team page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/The-Cops-Expedition-Impossible/223299931020920

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
Wow, Gloucester Mania continues!  I was reading this month's AirTran in-flight magazine and look see who I saw.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
Here's some info from ABC with a few new tidbits:

About the Show

Are you ready for an adventure of epic proportions? Then brace yourself for Expedition Impossible. 13 three-person teams find themselves racing across vast deserts, over snow-capped mountains and through raging rivers in the beautifully exotic, fabled Kingdom of Morocco.

Each week, a new stage of the expedition will be revealed to the teams. Will they crumble under the pressure of life in the wilds, or will they find a way to work together to complete their incredible journey?

After 10 stunning legs of competition filled with drama, laughs and memorable characters, one team will cross the finish line to claim victory. Each winning team member gets $50,000 (that's $150,000 total for the team) as well a new Ford Explorer. Excellent!

Expedition Impossible comes from Executive Producer Mark Burnett, whose hits include Shark Tank, Survivor and The Apprentice, just to name a few. The show promises to have lots of human drama to accompany all the high adventure.

Adventurer, zoologist, big cat trainer and all-around risk-taker Dave Salmoni hosts the show which premieres on Tuesday, June 21 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on ABC. Buckle up! This is going to be one heck of an expedition!

It looks as though it is entirely contained in Morocco ??? Sort of like a Survivor Race?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.